Follow
Read More
My gardening plan for today:
"They" are outside, I am inside.
(1)

"MODIFIED mousetraps", that is a fantastic job for my dH! I am impressed.
He has already put a "NO" on using a mousetrap, saying wisely, "What would we do with an animal caught in the trap?", meaning dead or alive.

So modifying the trap just to scare them away might work. He can spend hours trying to do this. yay.
(3)

Squirrels and birds into everything. Rabbits a bit more shy. They think everything is planted just for them. I do plant extra and deferents such as nasturtiums and marigolds. Lots of plots of chives. Bird netting works wonders. It’s hard to handle. Luckily I bought the smallest size and it is plenty. Cut into four sections and covered seedlings and pots for a month. Also chicken wire shaped into domes and cages. Took the coverings away and so far so good. Think it trained them to stay away or get tangled up. Now the moles are another whole issue. 
(1)

My blue spruce is coming out in new growth and there is hardly a caterpillar in sight yay! I'll keep watching for a new batch though.

My snowball bush is looking pretty good too, my solution to the saw flies has been to pinch off all the tender tips where they congregate and the bush has been sending out lots of new growth to compensate. Hm, this might work!

@#$%#! squirrels have dug up my window boxes every day since I planted them (not to mention my ornamental corn and pumpkin plants they destroyed the other day). I'm thinking of getting some mouse traps and modifying them so they can't snap fully closed, then placing them where the little buggers shouldn't go.... hopefully it would scare the c**p out of them.

Oh, and the birds are now laughing at the attempts I've made to discourage them from neighbour's feeder. Oh well, it bought me a couple of days anyway🙄
(1)

Castor beans to rid off gophers. I need to plant some. Growing kale in a pot so far so good. Guess I should transplant to garden. Someone told me homegrown kale (as most everything) much better than store bought. But I’m always thankful for everything we can purchase at the store. 
(1)

Hilled the potatoes today. Lots of tomato babies on the vines, peppers too. Harvested most of the broccoli, and will harvest the rest tomorrow. Going to make some kale chips, the kale is doing well. Set out some castor beans, supposed to detour gophers. And the Armenian cucumbers are doing well cannot wait for them.
(4)

I’ve never had trouble with anything other than a few rabbits. They always ruin a few heads. I cut a few heads and use early on. Then use to can sauerkraut. Leave a few heads a little late. I’ve never had any go to waste. The only real pest I have in my garden is black bears getting in corn. I’m going to plant a bunch across the road to lure them away.
(2)

Becky, I wondered the same thing. That's LOT of cabbage. Do you have any problems with the cabbage moths?

One of the tricks I had to use years ago was to plant an early crop at the time the pests appeared, dispatch as many as possible, then plant a full crop later. I tried that with zucchini, using the first batch as the lure, then followed up with more zucchini (one can never get too much zucchini - yeah, right!), then the pumpkins, which I really wanted to protect from the squash vine borer.
(2)

I can sauerkraut. Use frequently in summer for cole slaw with fish and seafood. It’s also a “free” food on my diabetic and eat raw for snacks. It also lasts well in cool, dry cellar.
(2)

What can you possibly do with 60 heads of cabbage, which if they are anything like those I've grown will all be ready at once? Do you make sauerkraut?
(2)

Today is my first full day in my garden. I’ve set out 60 cabbage plants, 60 broccoli plants, carrots, three different kinds of onion sets, Brussels sprouts. Weeded the asparagus beds. I had one of the guys use the Rototiller on the section where I’m going to plant tomatoes tomorrow. I hope to have all my planting done by the middle of next week. I also picked a bunch of wild fiddleheads to cook for dinner this evening.
(3)

The ones I have are made by Bell & Howe for outdoor use. They’re solar powered. They have an 18’ radius for service. My next door neighbor had very large dogs. As soon as she turned them outside they would run to the opposite side of her yard. I put one in the center of the yard and dogs would not come in the yard when being walked on the side walk.
(2)

CW, I've found those ultrasonic devices inside act in the opposite manner - they actually brought more squirrels to that end of the house! I guess I should now put them on the outside of the house to lure them outdoors.

Sorry about your seedlings. I had a similar problem when I lived in an apartment. Although I thought I was protecting the geranium seedlings by putting them on a higher bookcase, my sweet felines managed to get up there and upend all the geraniums, leaving a mess of dirt and slaughtered seedings on the floor.
(2)

I used an ultrasonic plug in device on the farm GA, it can't hurt to try it in your garage.

I looked out my window this morning to see that something decided to tear apart all my little seedling on the back deck. Most likely rats with bushy tails 😠
(1)

Smeshque, I don’t know about gophers. Maybe, they are about the the same.
(0)

GA- that would be a nice touch. I have been thinking of the solar lights in flower garden.
Becky- you said it got rid of moles? wonder if it would also work on gophers, they are similar
(0)

GA, The instructions say rats, but I never tried that. It worked great on dogs. Keeps them out of the yard, flower beds. Also got rid of ground moles. Didn’t do a thing for cats.
(1)

Becky, did the solar pest-away devices keep squirrels or rats away? Although I've never seen any, one of the neighbors and the city admins folk claim the city is infested with rats (the 4 legged kind).

One of the realtors with whom I spoke concurred, adding that the rats used the freeway to move into the area when there was a flood a few years back. Apparently freeways are like super highways for them, especially when they're flooded out.

I'd like to find a "rat away" device just in case they are there. I'm getting paranoid about just opening the garage door and the side door and watch the ground whenever I open the doors to go in or out.
(1)

I had them along a walkway at the edge of a flower bed. Lived in southern Ohio. The were good until late fall - ran down when there started to be a lot of cloudy days. In the spring I would pull them out and lay in the sunniest spot on my desk. Recharged and put them back in the ground. I got them at Home Depot - they had several styles. I also had those solar pest-away things. Did them the same way - kept out dogs, moles, ground squirrels.
(1)

I've just seen a photo of stunning terraced gardens, with lights which are apparently solar marking the various terraces. Although I've seen plenty of ads for exterior lighting, I haven't seen anything as effective or lovely as those in that particular photo, one of the series that MS arbitrarily places on the desktop when the computer is booted.

I was thinking how stunning it would be to have solar lights outlining beds.

Has anyone done anything like this? If so, what are your thoughts? Is there enough sun in your particular zone to keep the lights on in the evening through the night? Are the lights affected by storms, or even heavy rain or strong winds?
(1)

All good ideas.....but I would not waste my reeses on the miserable meeses.
Only saw o n e brown mouse outdoors.  

I could never kiss the cat after that.....
(1)

Send, get a couple cats!
(2)

Send, I have had good luck convincing the mice to either leave or suffer hari kari, if the infestation isn't too bad. I used D-con (with warfarin - I guess it causes internal hemorrhaging. I tucked the D-con in Reeses peanut butter cups. Any other soft chocolate could work.

Even though they are pests, it seems as though they have good taste and like chocolate. So I gave them some, as well as a farewell.
(1)

Thank you for the facts Veronica! I do really well with the facts.
Going out now to buy a shotgun, lol.

Oh, wait....a neighbor gave us the biggest mouse traps I had ever seen when she moved.
Not my favorite form of euthanasia, I would cry if anything got trapped (mouse, baby bunny, baby possum, baby squirrel)....my garden is doomed.

May have to resort to the flashing lights, make them all want to move.
(1)

Send mouse can climb anything. I have had them climb in and out of an empty chest freezer and leave their calling cards.
(1)

I gave the hummingbird feeder to the neighbor, and I can watch them feed from my front windows and porch!

I was feeding the premium food for birds, with nuts, seeds, and fruit. We have lots left.
Can mouse climb the block wall to eat?
(0)

They nearly destroyed my dwarf blue spruce last year before I noticed Smeshque, this year hopefully I've caught them while they are still tiny. If I can't get ahead of them the tree is toast.
(1)

Glad to hear its moths,cwillie.Thanks for clarifying.
(1)

The trick is to put your feeder close enough to see but far enough away that the mess stays off your porch. And don't leave too much food out at once or overnight if you are attracting vermin. Back when I had bird feeders I did my best to discourage squirrels from climbing up but they were welcome to anything that dropped on the ground, so were the bunnies and the occasional mouse. If you stick with premium seeds like black oil sunflower and mixes that don't include corn, oats or wheat and feeders without perches you can have the pretty little birds and not the big messy ones.
(2)

My yard and garden got all happy....there was a red squirrel taking a few peanuts out of my hand then a few birds on the porch rail, I started feeding, and an outdoor tuxedo cat visited.
Next thing I know, crows are flying over pooping on my car; grey squirrels are fighting and chased away Ratatouile; birds are nesting and pooping on my back porch stairs; too many birds come and are chased away by the grey squirrels. The last straw came when a mouse was on my front porch at dusk, eating the bird food. That is all over now.
No choice for me, because I want a clean porch. This is so hard, because it was mostly fun. The hummingbirds did not take to the new feeder.
I have seen the skink once, and my bouganvilla survived another winter, starting over at about 8" tall in a planter.
(0)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter