Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
Sendme2help: You get to name it whatever you want! ;o) It sounds like you're worried something has happened to the cat. I hope not. Isn't it normal for cats to roam and not show up for periods of time? Maybe your yard isn't it's normal area to roam in? Maybe you're going to be visited infrequently?
(2)

Planted a bouganvilla and the top is already brown and the leaves ars falling off, before I plant the second one. I know they are sensitive to transplanting, but it is not yet fall in socal. Maybe I should not plant the second one, just leave it in the pot to die. They could have a race to see which one will live, or not.
(2)

Coloresue, I like MISSING for a name because that is what it is! It would have to be friendly to find out boy/girl, so just MISSING is perfect for this cat. We could change it later to MESSING if it shows up. Poor thing.
(3)

Ashlynne, I'm so sorry for your loss, even if your mother and you weren't close. Still, it's difficult to lose a parent.

I love the names of your pets, especially the head of the Mouse Squad. I've never heard that before - love it! I'm wondering if the neighbor's cat who visits regularly has appointed herself a Mouse Squad leader for my back yard - she inspects it often enough! Hopefully she won't decide to be a Bird Squad leader - she's already diminished the robin population by one which she caught last year.

Coloresue, I like the name of Missy for SendMe's vagabond cat.

As to everyone else, I've been absent from this thread for a few days and haven't gotten back to respond to your messages or follow up on research I said I would do. I apologize.

Back to gardening, it's now 56 here outside, mid 60's in the house and time to think not only about turning the furnace on but also getting outside work done before the snow comes...which hopefully won't be in September! One never knows though with such changeable weather.

I was thinking this morning how nice it must be for folks who have fireplaces - these are days when it's nice to just sit in front of a fireplace and be warm. Add some hot chocolate and of course chocolate chip cookies and you can enjoy some really relaxing moments.

The goldenrod in the garden has reached its peak and is slowly fading. There are a lot of seed heads which I think I'll plant this autumn - it saves drying them and keeping them inside for a whole winter.

Elsewhere, trees are beginning to turn color, very quickly and just in the last few days. One of the next door maples is showing very tiny bits of red. Some other trees that are early achievers have begun shed golden leaves. As yet the annuals seem to be holding their own, but I think after the few nights of mid 40 degree weather they're going to be scurrying for cover and hiding on the soil.

Thanks again to everyone who's participated on this thread. Don['t give up on me - I'll be back after some pilgrimages to the yard to refresh my spirits.
(2)

Ashlynne,
You must have a great big heart to have taken in so many animals. Some of their stories are heart-breaking. I looked up miniature pinscher & jack russell terrier and tried to imagine what your dog must look like...and got NoWhereFast. I'll keep working on it. I'm a beginner when it comes to dog breeds.

I'm glad you're at peace with your mom passing, I'll be thinking of you in case a touch of sadness bothers you.

You are one busy woman this am, and you've gotten a good start on the day! Today we have our handyman here to do yard work only. That's what we originally hired him for and what he loves the most. I can totally understand that. It just turned out that he can do many other things as well. I hope you have a great day and return to this thread soon.
(3)

GardenArtist thank you for this thread. It's so interesting to hear what others are doing. I have 2 dogs - Sue, a miniature pinscher x jack russell terrorist, 6, inherited from my mother and Ashy Girl, a black lab, 9, who came from rescue a couple of years ago. I also have four cats - Charles T. Cat, 8, off the street when I lived in the city (head of the Mouse Squad), Pixie, 7, inherited from my mother, Katie, 7, pulled from a horrible situation, and Lucy, 1, found tiny, sick and starving in the middle of a nearby dirt road last year. There's also Ralph, an old goldfish who has been with me for years.

As I'm older with some physical issues, in buying and renovating I've always kept in mind making things easy for me to handle as I get older and creakier. The veggies are coming in well right now and blackberries are fruiting but the raspberries did nothing so out they'll go. Blueberries did nothing either so they're going to a friend who might have a better spot for them.

Yesterday I mowed everywhere and did some weed whacking. The flowers in containers on the deck are pretty much done so need clearing out. All in good time.

Got a call at 5.30 a.m. that my mother, in a NH for almost 3 years, passed away in the night. At close to 90 and failing fast, it was expected. We've never been close so I'm ok with it. I'm her only family and she had no friends. Her Will states she wants to be cremated and her ashes scattered. Just waiting for confirmation that the funeral home has collected her so I can go down and start clearing her room. In the meantime, chicken done baking, pot of tomatoes simmering on the stove and going to play ball with my dogs.

Thank you again so much for this thread. I've much to attend to but I'll catch up with you again soon. Dog Bless you all ♥
(2)

Or you could name it "missing".
Are you sure you'll see it again? Maybe you won't have to name it. I hope it comes back because I believe you would like it to. Then you could name it "Missy" because it misses days. Maybe.
(3)

Coloresue, have not seen the cat, can't believe it's been 4 days since visiting on this thread. Maybe I'll just name it gray. Not too creative with names.
(2)

staceyb,
Cute doggy! We used to have a monkey puzzle tree, too. It was about 30-35 ft. tall and was pruned so that the prickly branches were trimmed higher than we could reach. We only had to deal with the thorns when a limb fell and thank goodness! We had other tall trees so it wasn't the only tall tree. I have no idea to add to help you get rid of your tree, sorry. At least there are lots of good ideas already.

The rest of your garden sounds interesting and beautiful. I'm glad you get to sit out and enjoy it. I would do that more but we seem to have 2 seasons, summer, summer, summer and winter. One's too hot to be outside and the other's too cold. You have to move fast to catch a nice spring or fall day outside! Whooopps! It's gone!
(2)

Sendme2help,
It sounds like you haves anoles...the nice looking lizards that have almost disappeared around my area in the last 20+ years. They aren't native here, but I don't know about for your area. Instead we have tons of what look like ancient ugly dinosaurs reduced to lizard size. They aren't smooth but rough, bumpy and gnarly with enlarged heads compared to anoles. They have rough skin with mixed colors that are unattractive. I'd gladly welcome the anoles back!

Please let us know what you name the cat and how your attempts at friendship work out. I hope it doesn't find something in your garden to munch on too much.
(2)

I'm getting behind on responding to all your interesting and helpful posts. Just a quick one here to Stacey in response to her question on the barbed tree:

Stacey, I've never ever heard of a monkey tree so I had to quickly check it out. It's a lovely evergreen but the thorns are incredible - they must be 3 -4" long!

As I suspected, it's not native to the US, but is to some South American countries. If you were in Washington DC, I'd suggest donating it to one of the South American country embassies since it would be a nice gesture for a tree that would complement their home country's native species.

But I see you're in Washington state, so.... some other suggestions:

1. Are there any arboretums or commercial gardens in your area? We have one at the Cranbrook Institute of Science, Matthaei Botanical Garden, and a Meijer (retail grocery store chain) garden.

A garden like this that charges admission would probably have funds to hire a landscaper to dig up and remove the tree, and they may even have suits of armor or something to protect them from the thorns. I'm sure they've dealt with armored trees before though and would know how to handle them. It might even involve wrapping a thickly padded tree quilt or something like that around the trunk.

2. Do the local libraries have gardens? Same situation except they may not have the funds unless the libraries are in more wealthy neighborhoods.

3. Call local landscapers and see if they want the tree. You might even be able to make an exchange for a tree that you'd like.

4. Last option is to post on Craigs' List, but I had too many unpleasant experiences with too many unsavory characters, so that's always a concern. In addition, I doubt if too many people would want to or know how to safely excavate a tree and protect the roots.

Anyone else have any suggestions? I'm sure I'm missing something - there must be a nice new home for this beautiful tree!
(2)

Friends and I enjoy The Huntington Library & Gardens in San Marino, CA. Home of the paintings Blue Boy, the Gutenberg Bible, and Japanese gardens. Many of these gardens, museums, etc. have free entrance days once a month.
(2)

Gardenartist, GREAT THREAD IDEA! I love to hear about what everyone else is doing besides caregiving! Not that that isn't important, lol! We don't want the Oldy Moldy's shriveling up inside the house, let's not forget about them, lol! Oh wait, we are the Oldy Moldy's!
(2)

I have a very pretty yard and gardens done mostly by my hubby, he loves to be outside doing anything over being indoors. I do my best work, picking out the plants I want each spring and setting them right where I want them planted, and enjoy mixing it up each Spring. When we first bought this house 20 years ago, there was grass and not much else, but now, every edge is garden and all around the walkways and patios. It is lovely to sit outside reading and watching things grow, and watching my hubby enjoy his passion! The years are taking the tole on his back however, and we have tried to make the yard a lot less work with a lot of ground cover and perrenials. I bought a Monkey Puzzle Tree, about 8 inches tall and we planted about 5 feet from the fence in our back yard, and now the devil is 12 feet high and gorgeous, however it needs to be moved and I am stumped as to what to do with the darn thing! You would have to wear very protective gear just to get near it, so I am thinking about calling the local Community College Horticulture group to see if they may be interested in taking it from us, as it is my prize, and it is truly beautiful, but it had outgrown the spot it is in, and the Lilacs we planted to give us privacy along that fence have also grown up huge, 20 or so feet, but those also send up shoots as we planned, but they are encompassing the MP Tree's space, oh, it's distressing, as I Love that tree, but it is becoming a Monster! So Gardenartist, what am I to do with it? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! Other then that, we have rhubarb, tomatoes, fruit trees, and raspberry bushes, and I love container gardening as well, mainly flowers on the patio, and hanging baskets too! There are great deals out there now on plants for next year, many just need to get into the ground, but after 20 years, we have run out of space! I do appreciate the yard and gardens and love to look at others, as well as looking through magazines and catalogs for next seasons ideas!
(2)

Well, I won't be wearing shorts while gardening. If I were able, physically, a nice flowering country english garden would be nice. My husband can barely keep up or help, so we make due. It is nice he prefers to hand garden. After one hour outside, even with insect repellent, I go to bed x 3 days in pain and with bug bites. The no-seeums are the worst.
(2)

Little, tiny, smooth, light greyish, taupish, some a little darker, but there are lots and since they block my pathway and look up at me, better to name them than be afraid. Car parked in outer edge of driveway since a baby lizzie was sun-bathing.
I get no respect for my needs!
(3)

GA, I'm sure Martha Stewart has a garden tractor, and a man to drive it for her too. I'm pretty sure she is much too busy to actually cut the lawn, groom the dogs and wash the chicken sh*t off those eggs, that's what all those millions are for.

I don't have much wildlife visiting here in town except tree rats (squirrels), but on the farm we had lots of racoons and skunks, neither of which were welcome, and in the morning there were often coyote tracks around the house. One summer we had a fox who visited often until she got into the neighbours chickens, and the year before we left I was thrilled to be visited by a turkey hen and her brood of little ones.
(4)

Lizards? What kind of lizards? My first thought was those huge, lumbering scowly face lizards that live on tropical islands and look so much like their prehistoric predecessors. Please tell me you have little tiny lovable lizards??
(3)

Garden, love the popularity of your new thread. Started telling others to come on over, it is easier to find now, just search: Gardening as therapy. Gotta go name that cat, or pick up the morning. Cat- patch.
(2)

Garden, skipped over your post to answer Coloresue, then I see your exact words about the pleasure of garden cats! I will make the gray one my friend, naming it, practicing high pitched welcome cutie voice, yuck for the poor cat but dogs like it.
No treats, really, no treats, that is a rule! Going through another phase when what happens is dogs, cats, children, and lizards think I am their friend. No treats here! Maybe just a water bowl.
(2)

Coloresue, naming and talking to the lizards, and baby lizzards. They stop, turn their heads and look at me. That is so much better than trying conversation with person with aspergers, who won't make eye contact or talk much at all.
Then, there is this feral cat, most likely a relative of the one I rescued years ago.
He/she eats at a neighbor's house, then comes on over to poop. Smelly. Not finding a solution to this offending issue with the cat, thinking I will make it a friend and just pick up poop daily, and I don't own a cat or dog. Headed for trouble and heartache, making a cat a friend, but getting desperate here.
(2)

One of the most pleasurable spectator activities of gardening is watching the local animal life.

The next door neighbor has 3 cats, 2 of which have adopted my garden as their primary recreation site. The older cat is a Tortoiseshell, a beautifully colored cat that was friendly and sweet when I first met her but has become more distanced as she's been allowed to roam freely. The younger cat is also a beautiful almost year old kitten of sleek black coloring.

Just a few moments ago I noticed the Tortoiseshell leading the Midnight cat across the yard, back into the garden and down the center path. I thought it was so sweet, elder sister teaching the younger one how to explore, navigate, probably hunt and have some fun in the garden.

Midnight was following Tortoiseshell, then suddenly Tortoiseshell stopped, crouched and went into hunting mode. I thought this was so cute, teaching the younger one how to hunt the various delicacies hiding amidst the foliage in the garden.

Then just as suddenly the Tortoiseshell turned and chased Midnight out of the yard. Midnight scampered out, hid somewhere, and hasn't yet emerged from her sanctuary.

I had thought this was to be a trip of sisterly love and teaching, but apparently Tortoiseshell wants to keep the garden for herself.

It was stunning though to see these two beautifully colored cats sauntering down the center path, surrounded by variations of green on every side.

Hopefully they'll make up this afternoon and I'll get to see them together again.

Anyone else have any feline visitors to your garden?
(6)

I'm guessing Ashlynne workers harder in her garden than Martha Stewart does. Does Martha even have a tractor mower?
(3)

Ashlynne,
Your property sounds wonderful! if I had better health I'd be jealous! You're living the dream of many people. I know you've put a lot of hard work into your place to make your own dream come true. It's satisfying, isn't it? I understand you so well when you say your soul is at peace...and I'm so glad for you. May you always enjoy your home and that peace.
(5)

Hello, Sendme2help! Welcome! Do you like to garden? Or enjoy watching the creatures in your garden?
(2)

Visiting here, just found the post. HI everyone!
(1)

cwillie I actually don't run the lawn tractor at full boot as the land is uneven and my poor old back suffers. When my mother went into the NH I bought this place, 80 years old, former one room farm hand cottage built on over the years, ancient leaking windows, little insulation, mice and rats (darn near froze to death the first winter) but it was all I could afford.

It's way out in the country, surrounded by fields and forest, nearest niehgbour a mile away. The house I can gradually get fixed up, the surroundings I can't replace. With two dogs, one a terrorist (terrier) and four cats the mousies etc. have taken a hike. Over the past couple of years I've splurged for new windows, siding and insulation, along with 158 cedars around the perimeter to stop the wind.

I bought it with a view to, as I get older, creakier and crankier, I'd be able to manage a lot on my own. It's one floor, two steps down and outside either way and I had the enormous jetted (jets didn't work) replaced with a shower. Year 3 now and the renovations will be mostly completed before the snow flies. The house is all electric and over time I've gained a wood stove and a huge wired in generator which will run most of the house, along with the freezers.

I've recently acquired a super handyman to help with things I can't do or lift but most things around here are geared to my getting older and physical issues ... like rainwater collection barrels for the veggies and flowers and raised beds because I don't bend well.

Yes it's been a lot of hard work, sweat and tears but I wouldn't want to live anywhere else. I'm home and my soul is at peace.
(8)

At a University garden show and sale I picked up 2 barren looking, unplanted bromeliad plants for $1 each. They were supposed to be beautiful when flowering. They grew and flowered and voila!! big, gorgeous red blooms appeared! $1 blooms!
The plant begets 1 new plant after blooming and then it dies. I wanted to share the plants but I will never have extras. I can't complain because they are gorgeous when they bloom! A nice little plus to the garden.
(3)

GardenA,
No, I don't. The info would be welcome! I'll see what I can track down on Victory Garden, thank you.
(2)

The link is working now.

Sue, do you get Fine Gardening? If not, I'll get some info for you later on. It has regional sections with recommendations for various plants, but the source of the salt air plants was actually a program on Victory Garden.
(2)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter