Follow
Read More
Yesterday, spent just an hour outside in the yard, doing very lightweight gardening, stepping carefully so as not to fall. It was sunny, rain and wind were predicted. Came inside, the sky turned grey, storm was huge, rained all night and until 4:00 p.m. today, Sunday. Then, my favorite thing, the sunshine burst forth, through the beautiful clouds, again, we're in sunny California and so grateful to have one of the prettiest days/afternoon of the year!
(0)

I have found the easiest way to dry herbs is to take small bundles which you can tie together with kitchen string and staple each bundle inside a paper bag. Fold over the opening. Place in a warm dry place out of the sun. Or you can remove the leaves putting them in the paper bag. I prefer just drying the leaves. Crumbling the leaves for storage. I would check dry leaves after a day or 2 for condensation. in that case, the leaves are not dry enough.

The daffodils are up and will probably be blooming in 2-3 weeks. This is normal for my zone. I do not know when the Irises will bloom since I never planted them before. I am excited for both to bloom. The camellia is blooming now.

Happy gardening and hope your thumbs are green!!!
(0)

Glad, thanks for the info and response. The "unknown commodity" issue is one which I think might apply to any caregiver returning to the paid work force, and it does make sense. I've been thinking about doing some volunteer work in my field to ease back in. Another option, less desirable even though it pays, is temporary work. The unknown factor would still be present though.

If I understand you correctly, you're going to be working in development of an ideal, more European style community that's far more progressive than most adult communities in this country. That would definitely be exciting! It sounds like an ideal job.

I wish you well, I wish you success - anyone who can handle caregiving and work on a Masters to me demonstrates a level of commitment that exceeds what most Masters candidates have to meet.

Send, I have Vinca...they do form a great ground cover, with literally impenetrable root systems once they're established. The flowers are lovely. Their invasiveness is not. I'm battling them in one area, and they've already invaded another.

Tacy, herbs can be air dried, or they can be oven dried or even dehydrated.

I usually dry mine by clipping them before they set flowers, as energy then goes into flower production. I cut an ample stem, wash them well, let them dry before bunching and wrapping the stems with postal twine or a pretty ribbon. Then I hang them upside down in an area where they aren't in bright sun. The challenge also is to keep them from absorbing dust as they're drying, so an area that isn't exposed to a lot of dust-generating activity is ideal.

That's when I wish I had a butler's pantry - that would be so perfect!

What I also used to do when I had a gas oven with a pilot light was to clean them, cut them in smaller sections (but don't strip them from the stems), put them in a glass pie plate (any other glass baking dish would work as well), then set them in the oven to air dry.

The problem now is that most gas ovens don't have "always-on" pilot lights, so there's no heat generated to dry them and they could mildew.

Sometimes I'll set them on top of the oven when I'm baking to give them a little bit of a head start, but the old pilot light heat drying method worked the best for me.

I've also read of drying them on top of a refrigerator even though there's not as much heat as there would be in an oven with an always on pilot light.

Another option is to use a food dehydrator, at the lowest setting possible, but to me there's always the risk of drying them too quickly and too much.

When they are dry, I store them preferably in darker glass bottles, or even plastic or glass jars but keep them out of the sun. Canning jars could be used as well, but again, don't expose them to direct sunlight.

What herbs are you growing?
(0)

Welcome to sunny southern California!
(2)

The single crocus is still hiding, over where Zink, the skink lives-near the mailbox.
The plant, very hardy, are called Vinca. They are also probably weeds, but pretty, inexpensive, and spread by themselves. White, pink, magenta!
(2)

Send crocus? Usually the first to show signs of life here. Hard to believe that plants are beginning to show life in your area already.
(1)

Yes, GA the position in in my chosen field, that has nothing to do with caregiving. One recruiter I spoke with, had the gumption to ask her if the caregiving was having an impact. She acknowledged my comment about understanding that I was now an unknown commodity in spite of completing my master's degree a few years ago, while caregiving. How to put a positive slant on it, GA? What can you do to stay attuned to what is going on in your field. What is your field? In my case, watch for the first AL or Memory Care facility in the country where the quarters are Katrina or tiny homes. This community is challenged for affordable housing for workers of many industries in the area as many communities are. I will be checking into planning for something like that.

Imagine, a secure environment, like the community in Denmark, I think, where the residents are free too wander as much as they like, it usually is not too much. A bingo game to check in on, a gardener to help with pruning or planting seed, a card game, an entertainer, and their own relatively private quarters to settle in when they tire. A place with reasonable property values is necessary, and a smaller community would be a requirement. It is strange but I have dreamt of such a facility for a number of years. And to have a hand in the first one in this country, unimaginable!
(3)

There are some flowers blooming on the side of the driveway. It must be spring, and it is, according to my very own Calendar`-I am making one up to suit me, because I could not be more wrong than whoever made whichever calendar, daylight savings time rules-making it dark too early in So. Cal. No wonder our bio-clocks won't adjust and we cannot sleep. I am officially asleep in the daytime, and wake up at night. Hoping all caregivers get some more sleep tonight, so we can actually wake up in time for that beneficial gardening therapy! At the very least, see the new blooms in daylight!
The blooms? One is a paperwhite narcissisis, another are the flowers on a vine, cape honeysuckle, and very soon, the daffodil will bloom. Rejuvenating themselves without help, here comes the prolific - - - forgot their little names- - - - - getting back to you on that.
(1)

Thanks, Sharyn-I private messaged you, I have tears for my poor bougies.
(1)

Send, did your bougainvilleas get at least 5 hours of direct sun everyday? Pruning is tricky because the flowers form on shoots from the previous year just as some roses do. Fertilize with à fertilizer that is high in iron and micronutrient
(1)

All bouganvillas that I ever tried were lost! That reminds me-Lowes will replace or refund any plant that dies within a year! I am on it! Something important to do today, even though it is embarrassing to return a dead plant. Thanks GA, you got me thinking. I will put the refund price of two towards one larger one.
(0)

Ashlynne, forgot to ask - what kind of chickens are you getting? Some varieties lay beautiful beige to tan eggs; others lay a lovely green.
(1)

Glad, congratulations on your new job! I hope it's in your chosen field and that you're pleased and excited about this new opportunity.

If you don't mind sharing, was caregiving an issue in the interview and if so, any suggestions on how to make it an asset instead of a concern?

I'm in zone 6; hydrangeas seem to grow easily here; I see them a lot in residential and commercial settings. Just did some quick checking and learned that some hydrangeas don't grow in some zones. So if you're in zone 6, you'd have to find ones that tolerate that zone.

I hadn't realized they were that particular. I suspect a lot of that tolerance or intolerance of some zones is due to hybridization.

Send, I wasn't aware hydrangea flowers could be freeze dried; that's a new one for me. I love to see the large flowers in dried form during the winter. One of our doctors is in a facility where the front door is flanked by several panicle hydrangeas that were always stunning, whether they were in bloom or just resting during the winter. They really do provide lovely winter interest.

Weren't your bougainvillea lost because they didn't have enough time to acclimatize before winter?

Ashlynne, how large is your garden? And your greenhouse? Is it attached or separate? If the latter, do you heat it or does it get solar heat to start the seedlings?

I've always wanted a greenhouse but it really isn't feasible and I don't plan to stay in this house anyway.
(1)

Drawing p plans of what veggies to plant where and ordering seeds this week. Our last frost date is May 24 but I can start in the greenhouse before then. Can't start in the house as my fat lazy kitties would demolish everything. Researching to get chickens come spring as well.
(1)

My zone is blacked out-just my yard though.
(1)

Glad, I don't understand the zones very well. My neighbor says the flowering succulent won't flower, but mine burst forth blooms-they were chopped down and a neighbor gave them to me-and I did nothing to them, just sticking them in the ground.. Then, just across the street, bouganvilla are hearty, but mine, nope-and I tried 3x!
See? A failed gardener!
(1)

Hydrangeas-in my garden (when in No. Calif) those beauties were the early warning system for drought, first to wilt in heat. Florists dry them and sell the dried flowers for top dollar. The dried florals were very popular. Then came freeze dried-the colors remained bright this way.
(0)

I love hydrangea! They do not grow here wonder if they will there? Zone 6a.
(0)

Yes, GA my house was damaged by fire. I am living in it now but have accepted a position 450 miles away and will rent there until my house sells. Movers come on Wednesday and like a madman I have a couple pickups of trash in my back yard. Have made probably 20 trips to the Goodwill. Making a small donation to Sons of Norway krumkake irons (2) and an ebelskiver pan all three cast iron. Taking my galvinized oblong planters and black metal hanging flower baskets. When I get there I will figure out where they will go and what they will hold.
(0)

Hi.
(0)

Glad, I might have gotten the situation confused... wasn't it your house that had been damaged by fire, and was renovated? Are you living there now or moving to the rental for 6 months?
(0)

So, who's planning a garden already? Over on one of the gardening forums I visit, the folks have gotten their catalogues, placed their orders, and are getting out equipment to start their seeds. Of course, some of them are still digging out from 2 - 3 feet of snow!

Does anyone do indoor seed sprouting? Do you use a flora-cart or something cheaper and adaptable such as the top of a refrigerator?

I'm also looking for a good source for seeds for hydrangea and ornamental grasses. Can anyone suggest a catalogue that has these seeds (hopefully at a reasonable price)?
(0)

I got a two bed, 1.5 bath house to rent (1300 square feet) for six months. A two story, really wanted a rancher but next move. UGH! At least that move will be easier than this one has been. Wonder how much stuff I will miss that has now been donated to Goodwill. And those guys at the loading dock are getting really tired of seeing me! LOL!

But the house was just taken off the market so looks very nice inside, new paint, wood floors, throw rugs for Macy. She has a hard rime on wood and linoleum floors. Nice yard, must try some tomatoes in a more humid climate. Maybe that will help my brown thumb.
(3)

I do recall someone on a gardening forum posting on the use of Epsom salts, and another who used a specific vitamin, which I can't remember now. One was to enhance root production for cuttings; I think it was one of the B vitamins.

Interesting topic to explore.

I've found that milkwater increases blooms, on roses and morning glories.
(1)

A gardening tip, from internet.
This boost of magnesium produces more fruit on tomatoes, peppers, and roses. They must mean more fruit and blooms.
1 tsp. Epsom Salts
4 cups warm water.
Pour on, then repeat 10 days later.
Has anybody done this, or heard of it?
(0)

Glad, that soon! Came right up fast. Will you have a garden, or just an indoor terrarium maybe. Which place did you get, I missed it?
(0)

Cwillie, you are right. Extreme cold-and I didn't cover them. It was them or me, survival of the fittest and all that. Except they were more fit than me. Once they were off the porch for protection (but not enough sun), they did not have a chance. They did not have time to get established, as I had just bought them late last year, they were at 24 inches. Something was having a good ole time chomping away at their leaves. Then came the broken ankle, broken clavicle, it was a race to see who was going down first. Then heavy and unusual rains finished them off, because my husband did move them to the sun as an emergency measure.

How do I know right now if they will live again?
So sorry that I am a GardenFailure. I should change my avatar.
(0)

Tacy, once you figure out your zone, you can start seeding indoors about 6-8 weeks before planting outside. Tomatoes respond well to warming mats. Plant 2-3 seeds per cell or hole. Then you can thin them out once they are about 2 inches high and fill in the extra seedlings in another cell/hole. You will need to harden the seedlings before you actually plant them outside for good. You can do this by placing the seedlings outside in the sun during the day, bring them back in at night. After about 5 days, you can start leaving them out overnight protecting them if there is a frost and continue to harden them off for about 7-10 days.

Once you transplant them outside, make sure to water so they are moist but not standing in water.

egg carton make good cells for planting seedlings. Home depot, Lowes and OSH all sell a flat that has cells for each individual seedling. All depends on if you want to spend the money or use recycled materials. Good luck to you, you are doing great.
(1)

LOL!!!
(1)

Tacy, 60 plants?! My goodness! Must have been quite a harvest and you did a darn good job with them. I have planted tomato plants before and have had very little to harvest, guess I am not good enough to them. A cherry tomato plant a number of years ago gave me fewer than 10 tomatoes. Of the regular size tomatoes I think I harvested only one. You should teach me your tricks! Do you talk to them? For me to have a decent harvest I would need 60 plants. I too, am a city girl, but not for much longer. From big city to a very small one for me next week.
(1)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter