Follow
Read More
Yep, that is what happened-the squirrels re-planted the daffodils! But where, I am wondering!
Sharyn, maybe if daffodils are so good to eat, we should be putting the blooms in salads, yum!
(1)

Gophers ate my daffodils one year, peaky little critters.
(1)

Send, don't forget that you can try to use the rosebush prunings as starts for new bushes, although if the bushes are hybrids, the cuttings might just produce surprises if they in fact survive and do bloom.

As to daffodils, those little critters with the long fluffy tails that jump from tree to tree like to come down into the garden and rearrange bulbs. I've seen squirrels actually digging up the bulbs and found them growing next year where I never planted any.
(1)

Happy gardening Sendme!!
(1)

Sharyn, I was going to prune my one remaining rosebush today too, but I forgot!
I will prune them taller so there will be more!
As far as daffodils go, the bulbs for them might have been cultivated and blown away. They are no where to be seen.
(2)

Gardening Good News!
The bouganvillias are not dead! Little tiny green sprouts after applying miracle grow last week, and watering more, loosening the potting mix (cultivation), shows some exciting changes! That was rewarding, and very therapeutic too! The best part was having my friends talk me through the process. Now, I will be cutting off the dead tops, about 4 inches. Thanks everyone!
(2)

Daffodils are blooming!!! Do you know that when you prune roses for winter, the shorter down you prune them, the larger the roses but fewer, the taller you prune them, the smaller the roses but more of them. It's all a preference of the gardener. Tomorrow is rose pruning day, I prefer more roses!'
(3)

Glad, thanks for the website info. I will check it out.
(1)

Sharyn and anybody considering moving check out city-data website for a cost of living calculator to compare two locations. The site also has every demographic you could dream of, including year around average temps!
(1)

Garden Artist, thank you for helping with the bouganvillias. Did not know one could take cuttings. I will try that.
When we drive into the driveway, I am becoming amazed at how with just a very little time out there the yard is looking very good.
We were both out there, and a few grasshoppers were on the bushes. They eat the plants-there may be a dispute brewing about whether they are beneficial, but yucky. They don't really spit out tobacco, do they? Where did I ever get an idea like that-a cartoon or something?
(2)

Sendme, the Boise, Meridian, Caldwell area is nice. Some snow and yes cold in winter, summers very comparable to the San Jaoquin Valley here in NorCal. Cost of living is much cheaper than California.

Poverty is everywhere, in Idaho, probably in the northern part of the state where they get heavy snow. Boise area is nice.
(1)

It's not a plight Sendme. My gardening philosophy is to only plant what is low maintenence for my lifestyle. I will not use my time to cover plants from harsh sun or frost.

I apply this to everyday life as well.
(2)

Hubby makes fun if I buy mulch or potting mix.
(1)

The bougies are already in their own huge pot. They were overwatered in the last rain. Wouldn't it be exciting to resurrect these plants!
(0)

Ashamed to say, thought they were dead. Last year's mulch was bark. I have some miracle grow pebbles, blue, mix with water. I could try that now.
(0)

Send, what kind of mulch are you using for your bougainvillea to help prevent evaporation? Are you also deep watering through use of holes in the ground to be filled with water?

Is this the bougainvillea that if I remember correctly you thought didn't survive the winter? If it is, you could try 2 things: (a) repot it in a container where it doesn't have to compete with grass or other plants, or (b) take cuttings and root them so if the mother plant fails, you at least have some new offshoots that might survive.
(1)

Truth is, I am discouraged and losing the will to fight through this and move. Maybe I will be forced to accept my plight and wilt/bloom where I am planted.
(0)

We are allowed to water on Friday. (or Tuesdays.)
Tomorrow-watering is relaxing! I will take a look at the dead bouganvilla to see if there is any hope at all. Could not find a receipt to return them-guaranteed for one year!
(0)

Idaho sounds nice! They have lakes up there. My concern would be what I perceived in my reading to be a high population of poverty, for lack of a better word.
When I researched it as a possibilty, it was interesting in that they have an airport. There was something fishy about the airport, I forget what it was.
The area I looked into was Coeur' d' Alene (sp.).?
There is snow, which I would love, however maybe too harsh an environment for me.
Santa Barbara was nice-if I had enuff money. They also have a high population of transients who live there due to the climate is tolerable year round. When then president Clinton visited, the authorities had to round up the homeless and remove them (just for the visit-not help them!). The people there are nice and friendly-all of them. They have beautiful gardens too-and a Museum of natural history-a great place of employment-also with gardens.
(0)

Just watered the irises. Didn't tealize how dry they were, I think I lost a few. Sandy soil dries out quickly even this time of year with no rain.

Where do you want to move to?? I Want to move to Idaho.
(1)

Yes, but I always want to move!
(1)

Daffodils are blooming here in my zone. Almonds are blooming (allergy issue for many but so pretty). Camillias still blooming. Irises are not showing signs of blooming yet, maybe next month.

Bloom where you are planted is excellent advice!!
(1)

Thinking the other day about my deceased mother's advice:
"Bloom where you are planted." General statement, another cliche' to be interpreted by the recipient.
She came to me years later, asking if she should leave her husband, but not telling the truth about why. I said that I could not advise her, but repeated what she said to me so many years ago. "Bloom where you are planted". She returned to him.
She became happy planting roses in her garden, winning ribbons at the fair.
In her memory, I will plant a yellow rose in my garden this year. She was originally from Texas, when married to my Dad, he used to sing "The Yellow Rose of Texas" to her. Both happy and extremely sad memories all at the same time, but others on here who really loved their mothers have helped me to remember some of the good. So, thanks, everyone!
(0)

We are back into a high pressure system. Storms are being blocked and sent much farther north. Temps are in the 60's with beginning of next week jumping to the 70's. Ugh!! Maybe March will bring more rain for us.
(2)

Nope, no gardener. I have to take care of the lawn cutting and watering, but only until August. Am already planning on moving, hope my house sells. Just a bit over a week in this house and I know I don't want this a permanent solution. Lots of problems with it and lack of maintenance issues. But at least it will look nice once I get through boxes and boxes and more boxes. Going to leave alot packed and unpack minimum that I will need. So packing less work in August.
(2)

Glad, if the birds eat the seeds, plant Vinca, a few around in a circle. They will fill in, and you could surround them with a border of brick later. Does the rental come with a gardener? If not, ask the landlord to contribute to improving the property with some plants for Spring.
(1)

GardenArtist, should I worry about invasive Vinca? They are free, spreading their little blooms everywhere. We are surrounded by cement walkways, driveways.
Maybe if I see them growing in neighbor's yards, I should slink out there at midnight in a Ghillie suit (what is that?, btw), put on a miners hard-hat with a light, and dig out the little invasive, but pretty buggers? Lol.
(0)

From the looks of the yard here, I should buy a five gallon bucket of wildflowers and just toss them in the yard. ;)
(1)

Seed buying time! Are you buying from local greenhouses, big box stores, gardening catalogues? Or have you saved your own seed from last year?

Who's starting seeds inside? Anyone have one of those great flora-carts with 3 or so levels of trays with fluorescent lights above that can be adjusted to be closer to the seedlings? That's one of my long time wishes, as well as a place large enough for such a large seed starting arrangement.

We're almost halfway through February; time to be drawing up garden plans, starting seeds, and doing our exercises so our backs can hold up through several months of gardening!
(1)

We were having great weather for about 4 days in the 60's, today it all changed to a very cold, sharp wind. No real rain on the forecast, just very cold "for us"!!
(0)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter