Follow
Read More
Do oak trees flower? I have never had one before, there sure are last years acorns all over the yard. If they don't flower how do those acorns happen?
(0)

Glad, maybe the buds have not developed yet, give them another week or two.

Tiger, my cat, just en.joys my company and he wants to play. With anything that moves, gardening tape for tying plants to stakes.
(1)

Stacey, can you take cuttings from your Monkey tree?

Your yard must be beautiful with all those rhododendrons - they are lovely shrubs!

Sharon, perhaps you could train cats to be garden helpers?
(2)

I must say, enough rain already, LOL!!
(1)

I have what must be a cluster of daffodils up, but not a single bloom or bud:(
(0)

Your garden sounds beautiful, Stacey.
(2)

I have 14 different Rhododendrons in my, which all bloom at different times, one right after the other, and in the 20 years in this home, they have all grown So big! I know that after they all do bloom, and the dead heads are all plucked off, a tedious chore, rhey will need to be cut back, this year, for sure! I'll have to check my PNW growing guide, on how to do this properly! Also, the entire back fence is a mass of now HUGE Lilacs, so gorgeous and fragrant, I just Love it when they bloom! We originally transplanted them from our in laws garden, and can't believe the giants (now 15 feet at least), they have become! But they do giv us a lot of privacy! I'm still debating on what to do with my Monkey Puzzle Tree, it's being overcome by the Lilacs, abd definitely needs to be moved, but I'm afraid we'll kill it, or ourselves, as it too is a thorny monster, and about 15 feet high, but I grew it from a baby 10 inch little cutie, and now I don't know who will tackle such a project! We've got loads of Dafodills up, and leaning over from the horrendous rainfall, and lots of tulips coming up right behind them, and my husband mowed the yards front and back for the first time this year. So spring time blooming, here we come! Soon, we'll be buying annuals for color spots, but I will hold of, as I always buy and plant yoo early, and lose some to the cold weather! I'm just impatient! And speaking of Impatients, I Love those, and last year, found some that are more tolerant to the sun, and are also double bloomers, meaning bigger flowers! I just feel so happier with Springtime weather coming and putting my husband to work in the yard! Lol!
(1)

GA, he just did it, he was a true garden buddy, followed me from front to back yards just to be with me. I do miss him. The cat I have now, is also a garden buddy, follows around but does not help.

My lilacs ate blooming, I hope the rain we are having does not knock the petals off.
(0)

WaterStone, welcome to the gardening thread. What seeds are you starting indoors? Flowers? Veggies?
(0)

The garden is beginning to awaken. Daylillies are abundant at the side of the house; even the climbing roses have tiny barely unfurling leaves. Lunaria is always an early start. Only a few dark lilac crocuses are up, but more are promising to provide more color if the weather continues to be so springlike.

Sharyn, I think a cat that helps with planting would be great asset to gardeners! Did you train him or is he a natural gardener?
(1)

I had a cat that helped plant bulbs. I dug the holes placed the bulbs, he would shove dirt over while playing. Of course, he would sometimes dig them up too!!

Raining lots so haven't been able to weed or prune, not complaining though.
(1)

Guess I will buy some various bulbs, hand them out to the squirrels with peanuts.
Maybe my garden will grow if they plant them! lol.
(0)

Thanks for reminding me about gardening. It is Spring and time to start some seedlings. I'm hoping for an opportunity to share an activity with Mom that she can enjoy, gets us outside, and we can watch change every day.
(0)

Thanks Linda
(0)

RA, my soil is sandy also - I add compost and peat moss to help hold water. Gardeners Supply has a neat little kneeler/bench thing with handles to aid you in standing back up.
(1)

Thanks for the great info. I like the idea of raised beds. Its not to hard getting down but its the getting back up thats the real killer these days. I too have a heavy sand base in my yard because of all the lakes around here. I dont live on the lake but close enough that it makes for lots of sand in our soil so i will rethink the wood chips. The sand is good for drainage but also creates the need to water more often. Happy spring fever everyone!🐦🌷🍓🌻🌼🌹
(1)

Love those dwarf conifers; there are so many beautiful varieties.

As to buying more bulbs, well, you know that gardeners can never have too many bulbs. Marilyn Monroe might have felt that way about diamonds, but I'd rather have bulbs any day.

I saw photos of some lovely grape hyacinths today that will be added to my ever-growing "to purchase" list.

That's a good idea to leave some fall/winter jobs to help get the gardening activities going in the spring; it's easier to start with some cleanup than start with the whole tilling, digging and planting, even though it's exciting.

I'm guessing a lot of the contributors to this thread were out in their yards today as well.
(1)

One lonely snowdrop? What happened to all the others??? (Note to self, buy more bulbs next Fall!)
I know that itch to get out in the yard in the Spring, so I usually leave a few jobs undone before winter such as cutting back my perennials. Today I spent some time outdoors doing a little pruning before this mild weather forces bud break and I am too late. I have a flowering crab apple and a dwarf blue spruce that are really getting too big for my property, but I like both so I will try to rein them in rather than cut them down.
(0)

GA, I agree about fresh wood chips and nitrogen depletion. Our soil has very little organic matter as it is mostly sand. Using a good organic mulch works for us. Some people use grass clippings too.
(0)

RA, another thought if you're handy, or know someone who is, is to build raised beds that are about waist high so you can garden with other things besides foliage plants. Gardeners' Supply offers these; you can get an idea by searching their catalogue. (I'd post a link but because it would be a dot com the URL would be partially deleted.)

One gardener I know is going to do this with her veggies - it will avoid the discomfort of an older body bending over to plant and harvest.

You might be able to save on energy by digging up clumps of hosta and planting them temporarily in pots, especially if you have some of the ones that are biodegradable, the kind that sometimes are used by commercial growers and found at commercial stores. I used to save mine and re use them, just planting the whole thing - pot and all. The plant had already acclimated to its new home, and the pot would just decompose but the bending to plant could be done leisurely instead of all at once with a lot of hostas waiting for new homes.

I would be careful of wood chips if they're fresh. Organic gardeners disagree on whether fresh wood chips deplete soil of nitrogen. Some claim fresh wood chips aren't harmful; my experience was the opposite. I spread a lot of fresh wood chips on my garden, my irises and daylilies and even some of the weeds began turning yellow, a sign of nitrogen deficiency.

I will never use fresh wood chips on my garden again. However, it wasn't my choice - I was forced to find a way to dispose of them because a neighbor complained and the city cited me for blight - I guess they haven't figured out that wood chips CAN be a good source of mulch if properly cured.
(0)

Thanks, I will wait a while I was just trying to get my juices flowing to hopefully have a better year. My garden has been in want do to lack of energy and funds being very low. But I have so many hostas I thought I could sptead them around and at least get some greenery going. Then I found the county has a place in Milford where they dump the wood chips from county tree trimming. Thought I might be able to get bro in law to lend me a hand getting a truck load in spring. Thanks for the thread its a nice diversion for us.
(1)

Willie, good point about the cold ground. I suspect our Michigan ground is still frozen and given the predicted rain will quickly become a bit too muddy to work.
(0)

Hostas are so popular in part because they are tough as nails.I'm sure there probably is an optimal time to divide them, but I have divided and replanted in the middle of a summer heat wave and they hardly seem to care as long as they are watered in. I would caution though, even though the temps are warm the ground has not warmed up yet and is still probably pretty wet, you might be better to wait a few more weeks.
(1)

RA, hostas can be thinned and/or divided in either spring or fall. I would do it in spring b/c it gives them a chance to acclimate to Michigan weather and become well established before winter. It also gives them time to become established before our often hot summers. You can watch them to make sure they're getting adequate moisture before fall comes and to make sure they're well established before next winter.

Hostas used to be shade lovers, as you probably know, but I believe some of the many new hybrids can tolerate more sun.

Some people take a spade and chop to divide hostas. I like to be a little bit more gentle, carefully separating the roots after digging up a clump.

I've grown ostrich ferns for years and love them. If given the right conditions, such as those similar to a wooded area, they'll spread very easily. They thrive in woodland type areas with shade; in fact, they grew best in total shade. They won't thrive or spread as much in sunny areas.

Some occasionally popped up in sunny areas and turned brown in mid to late August during the dog-days of summer. I felt sorry for them, even though the color stages through they went were a preview of fall.

I'd keep them in as much shade as possible, forest or woodland type atmospheres.

They're very, very easy to grow. Once I planted them and watered them, they grew well. Again, they like a woodsy atmosphere. If you have clay soil, I would amend it first with compost and mulch around the plants with leaves, but not right up to the stems as they need some room to breathe.

For planting around a patio, give them enough space from the patio that the roots can spread out, or their growth might become blocked.

I know the feeling of gardening becoming more difficult with age!
(0)

Garden thought maybe you could answer this question for me. The older I get the harder it is for me to garden. The past couple of years my yard has suffered, but I am determined to change this year. I have tons of Hostas that need to be thinned. Can I do it in the spring or only in the fall? Also I would like to plant ferns. The tall ones that could serve as a hedge around an area off my patio. Do they do well in shade and are they hard to grow. Just thought I would get a head start on what to do since I think spring is coming here in Michigan. Thanks
(1)

Send, do you have Excel? You can create a password spreadsheet with different passwords for different sites. But you do have to remember the password for the spreadsheet!

Planting is always therapeutic; I understand part of CA are getting really, really heavy rains now, so it's good you helped the little bulb survive.
(0)

Thanks, Garden Artist! Logging out now until hubby can help me get a new e-mail account. He hesitates because I don't manage my passwords well.
It is a great day in the month of March!!
(0)

If it were possible for someone's head to turn a 360° on one's shoulders, that would describe me since returning from a social gathering headed up by a person with npd and bipolar, ah, the land of Oz they call it. Planting the ranunculus in the sun, I guess I thought that huge rainstorm had passed. The rain poured down on the new plant, so I am putting a bucket over it to protect it until the rain passes again.
Now I can say my head is not yet screwed on straight. Today will be interesting.
Plan: Extricate from contacting or responding to npd persons living in Oz.
Recovered from this before, I'm good! Continue planting, wisely.
(0)

Send, w/o going into the changes you've inferred, I would immediately create a new e-mail account. You can keep the shared one, but do have a private one, specially since they're free. I dislike those group e-mails - anyone could compromise your e-mail.
(1)

Glad, still having trouble. Recent changes in the demands on my life required that I share my e-mail, then it was sent out in a group e-mail to others that I would never had wanted to have my e-mail. Guess I will go outside and plant a ranunculus while the sun is out. That may have nothing to do with what is happening on here, now. Check back later! Thank you all, Glad, Susan too!
(0)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter