Follow
Read More
Sharyn, I love the old fashioned roses. My mother had a lovely pinkish rambler which would blossom profusely, with more blooms than any rose I had ever seen.

I've grown a few hybrid teas but didn't have much luck with them, although later I realized it was the location. Despite being in the back yard garden, the bitter west winds managed to reach them during the winter.

Glad, an ice storm? So many areas are getting an early spring; sounds like your area is still stuck in winter. But we know that spring will be here in April, one way or the other. Hopefully the ice storm won't take out any enthusiastic plants that are rushing spring.

Ruth, how tall does this plant grow? I assume it's blooming now?
(0)

Maybe someone could help me identify a plant i have. It grows in lond shoots close together so looks like a bush has little purple flowers that close at night and it spreads like crazy. Anyone know the name? I npw have a ton of it oh and it prefers sunny spots. Thanks for the help guys🌻🌹🌸🌼☔🌺
(0)

my cherry sprouts are leafing out and the experts , to include steve can hug my balls . thats as try as i might , about as politically correct as i can muster . im really trying here , i wish everybody could appreciate my progress .
(1)

We are expecting an ice storm here. Return to winter for the rest of the week.
(0)

the weather is awesome here in indiana . i worked in the forest today and my aunt edna was in my heart . that girl would have worked me 15 hrs instead of the 6 . 25 that i wussed out with . ( meh , dental appointment and honestly the dental girl IS rather hot ) but aunt edna would have ran that log splitter till the piston seized . lol,
edna only had an on / off switch . proportion was for losers ..
(1)

Its a warm sunny 71° today. It bounces back and forth to highs of 56 with rain and then today at 71.
(0)

im so ashamed here . drinking everclear and listening to the scorpions at wacken , 2013 . its freakin head stomping . my life has gone so astray .
( no it hasnt )
live and let live , gardenartist ..
(0)

GA, I have a climbing rose that blooms only once in spring. It is an old fashioned single petal flower, but very pretty pink. I also have some hybred teas that are a rosey/pink and yes, they are budding with a couple blooms.

I finally weeded the plot the irises are in, quiet a job with thick weeds. I pruned the roses back as they were growing out in the walk way to the front door. I am fond for the day, another day I will get more pruning done.
(0)

no problem garden artist . apparently you live in your own little bubble ( probably some kind of self congratulating religion ) wheras anyone who doesnt adhere to your standard is less than acceptable . youre a dying breed . just haveta say that .
im in fact , pleased to say that ..
(0)

Captain, I thought perhaps that your interest in gardening had suggested moderation of your hostility and inappropriate language, and responded to your post to welcome you to what I consider a very positive, and clean, thread.

But this "fk Steve" language suggests you're still thinking in the mode which I found offensive.

Obviously I can't prevent you from posting, but please have the courtesy to avoid the "fk" type language. This is a nice thread and I'd like to see it kept that way.

If you want to use low class language, go elsewhere.
(1)

well , ya cant eat fn flowers so im bettin on the cherry sprigs . perhaps i should have used growth hormone but , meh , im difficult , to say the least .
am
and yea cwillie , i have plastic baggies over the cuttings to duplicate the hot house effect , and so far , they are kickin it . they might run out of energy and die but i learned long ago , if you dont try , your guaranteed to fail .
and fk steve . what he dont know would fill a warehouse ..
(0)

Are your roses in bloom already? What varieties do you have?

I'm thinking a lovely bouquet of lilacs, lunarias and roses could include roses in white, ivory, pale pink, .... well, any rose is beautiful!

Have you (or has anyone else) ever grown the Drift Roses? I've been thinking about adding some.
(0)

The bouquet sounds beautiful. You just motivated me to cut some lilacs for a bouquet, maybe I will add some roses to it!!
(0)

Sharyn, yes, they do! When the winds stop blowing, I'm going to check on the lilacs. The lunaria are up, and although they're a few weeks from bloom, I'm already thinking of a bouquet of lilacs and lunaria, maybe with a few pale pink or pale lilac ribbons added. I can already smell the fragrance of lilacs.

Yes, it's a great day today, even if the winds are supposed to hit 50 mph!
(2)

GA, YAY! Flowers always brighten the day.
(0)

I HAVE FLOWERS! And yes, I'm shouting because it's so early for these little beauties to be blooming.

Their arrival was so quick. This morning I thought the green in the garden was a warning sign that the grass was moving outside of its designated space. Two hours later the grass had purple and dark royal blue flowers!

A very noisy line of T-storms passed through last night, bringing winds and apparently enough rain to give the flowers a push from bud into bloom.

So far only the deep violet crocuses and the bright cheery Siberian Squills are in bloom, but that's enough! Just seeing those lovely colors is soooooo cheery.

Who else has blooms, especially in the Midwest?
(2)

Captain, if you have any willow trees around, you can cut a few small branches, dip them into water if that's how you're trying to sprout the cherry cuttings, and keep them there for a few days or more. Willows apparently have a substance that helps cuttings grow roots. This was shared by a fellow with extensive knowledge of natural growing methods who posts on garden forums.

For more info, google "willow branches as sprouting aides". The first hit should be an article with more information.

We also used jars to start roots, especially from rose bushes.
(0)

There is a youtube video titled how grow sweet cherry cuttings.
(0)

Hope your little cherries grow cap'n. My grandmother used to have good luck inverting a jar over her cuttings like a mini greenhouse, and she would leave the jar in place until she was sure her cuttings were growing the following spring. But she had a green thumb and could probably get fence posts to grow lol!
(1)

im trying to propagate 4 little cherry tree cuttings . steve the lumberjill out at the farm says they will open leaves then run out of energy . steve may be right but steve may be wrong . steve might end up stoned up neatly inside of a chimney .
i take steves advice , then i go home and do the exact opposite .
theres the right way , the wrong way , and my way . my way is the same as the wrong way only quicker ..
(0)

Glad, those cottonwoods are so miserable, and so messy. Every June they drop 5 - 6" long sead beads on a string and I swear nearly every one of them sprouts. Since they fall on fertile soil in the garden, they produce an unending crop of tenacious seedlings to battle.

I have to garden wearing a mask for at least 2 and sometimes 3 weeks every time they drop their messy seed pods. Even then, the masks can't keep out all the cottony fluff. If it's inhaled, it causes a lot of coughing, and who knows what on a long term basis.
(1)

Cwillie we had cotton storms in the spring from cottonwoods, of course but also aspens. The wind would blow and the air was full of it. It is pretty sticky stuff too. Gets on shoes and pets and tracked all over the house.
(0)

Wow, Send! Lots of info. I have never lived anywhere where oak trees are common.

Sharyn, this one is probably at least fifty years old. The acorns are tiny maybe the size of a quarter around, if that big. I always thought acorns were move like the size of a cutie type orange? Know nothing about them at all.
(2)

Glad, oaks do flower, interesting is some varieties do not start until they are 20 years old.
(2)

Glad, Oak trees do flower!
OAK FLOWERS
Flowers of the Black Oak, Quercus velutina Oak trees have male flowers on one part of their branch, and female flowers on another part of the same branch. When a plant bears both male and female flowers it's said to monoecious.
At the right you see a flowering branch of a Black Oak, Quercus velutina, from a tree in southern Mississippi. It was scanned in mid March just as the tree's leaves and flowers were appearing. The leaves in the picture are only about one-fifth their summer size.

If you don't know what a calyx or a stamen is, you can review these items on our Standard Blossom Page. The yellow, wormlike items in the picture's lower, left corner are catkins, more technically known as aments. Catkins are clusters, or inflorescences, of male flowers. Each of the "bumps" on the catkins is a male flower consisting of a bract (a highly modified leaf), a lobed calyx and some pollen-producing stamens. Once the stamens have released their pollen into the air, the entire catkin will fall from the tree. Maybe you've seen thousands of such spent catkins littering a sidewalk beneath an oak tree early in the spring. Other trees producing catkins include willows
On a flowering oak twig you have to look close to see the female flowers -- the future acorns. The inset in the picture's lower right corner shows a much-magnified female flower. Actually, mainly you just see the reddish 3-lobed stigma. Below the stigma there's an egg-shaped ovary camouflaged so well that it blends with the fuzzy petiole beneath it, and the fuzzy stem just to its left. Since these female flowers appear where you might expect a bud to be most people overlook them, thinking they are seeing buds. However, a bud would never be topped with a 3-lobed stigma!

There are dozens of species of oaks and they can all be divided into two great groups, depending on how long it takes for its female flowers to develop into acorns. Acorns in the White Oak Group mature the year they appear, and the acorn's kernel is often sweetish and edible. The Chestnut Oaks belong to this group.

Acorns in the Red and Black Oak Group mature in their second year and often their kernel is so bitter that a human would have a hard time eating it.
(2)

A gardening acquaintance in the SW uses either buffalo grass or something similar. It was planted in plugs, spreads out to form a solid lawn, and as I recall doesn't require much maintenance.

This should be what landscapers are planting instead of high energy required massive lawns that need mowing. Or else supply goats and sheep to keep their energy intensive lawns more compatible with conservation.

What I've wanted to do for years was substitute ground covers for lawn, but the major effort of digging up the lawn and replacing it with ground covers is more than I can manage physically at this time. Even starting little by little is hard work; lawn is not easy to dig up.

I've thought of substituting rapid growing ground covers such as vinca or even Virginia creeper.
(0)

Oh, I feel so bad for those plagued by allergies. I love spring - my problem is when the barometer falls I fight migraines so spring showers bring me pain not just flowers.

Thanks for the tip on the no mow grass - if it sounds too good to be true - double check! Thank you! I found it as Roberta's on QVC with 3-4" which still would need mowing but I am wondering if it would conserve mowing. Very interesting concept. I probably won't be an early adapter on this one.
(0)

No mow grass?? I had to look that up, I hate having to mow, when we were in the country I used to joke about putting up a fence and buying sheep! lol
The web says it will only grow 3" to 6", sounds great but the neighbours like to sheer their grass off at 2", they would not approve of a 6" lawn!

Glad, all trees flower of course, but the flowers are often very inconspicuous. I've never had enough oaks around to notice their pollen, but where I used to live there were a lot of cottonwoods that blanketed the area in yellow dust in the spring and drifts of "cotton" in June. My nephew has tree pollen allergies, Spring is not a happy time for him!
(1)

Anyone see the new "no mow grass"? Any experience with this? It appears miraculous - saving mowing time, gasoline, etc... without giving up the smell, texture of real grass.
(0)

Do oak trees flower? I have never had one before, there sure are last years acorns all over the yard. If they don't flower how do those acorns happen?
(0)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter