Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
cwillie,
I can sympathize with your situation. One day I or both I and my husband will have to downsize and have a smaller garden, too. We used to maintain our current one but now have to have hired help to keep up. Our health limits us. When I was out buying plants, I used to get requests from people to do their landscaping. I was surprised but liked the idea. I considered it, but decided against it because I didn't think my body could do it for long and I learned from a pro that the majority of customers don't properly water after you do your landscaping job and your work is dead in about 6 months. Happy gardening to you!
(4)

GardenArtist,
Yes, I know the plants that tolerate salt air. Fortunately we can plant a lot of other, more appealing plants, too. We are in zone 10. I'd still like any info you have. You never know, there might be something good in the info.
I've lived here all my life and have seen a lot of property and plants. I've done a lot of research, too.
Thanks for starting this topic. A GREAT idea!! The link didn't work for me, though. I did a look up in the search box.
(2)

Sue, just a quick question - are you in zone 9 or 10? I assume you're aware there are plants are specifically able to tolerate salt air? If not, I might have some quick references for you.

Cwillie, I had been wondering at first what an enterprise yard was. Sounded like a nice new fancy term for those massive acres devoted to nothing but lawn.

I'm still wondering how the British estate owners in the 1800s managed to keep their huge lawns clipped. Or did they let the sheep graze there?
(4)

I love training vines to grow up our banyan tree or the archway near our front door. Not perfectly prim and proper, but looking somewhat free and loose. The individual leaves of the philodendrons get over 1 foot long! That amazes me. Philodendrens, not pothos. They cover the imitation brick walls and travel against the roofline around the house. I love seeing those heart shaped leaves all lined up vertically when I arrive home from somewhere. They seem to be saying "Welcome home! We *heart* you!"

There's ivy climbing the walls elsewhere. Some variegated pothos also. I love how the pothos is weaving between the plant beds around the front entrance and filling every nook and cranny with it's presence. It's creeping up an artificial plant next to the front door and will make it look more like a real one. Yay! It creeps everywhere and looks good! It peeks out from smaller crotons, poinsettias, ground orchids, multiple ferns, peacock something-or-others and more and gives a finished look like little trailing plants or baby's breath does to professional bouquets.

It's amazing how many unsolicited compliments we get when our landscaping seems to be a little out of control...we think it's time for a trim everywhere...yet that's when other people are most complimentary about it! I sort of understand it. I like the beautiful and lush but somewhat wild growth look also.
(4)

Ashlynne,

You're living my dream, and perhaps the dream of many of us who love the outdoors. You've done a lot since you're moved in, making the yard your special garden - a real dream come true, but a dream made possible by your own hard work. Is this a retirement project now?

Rhubarb can work well in breads; my mother had a great recipe. I think we also made some rhubarb bars, something like brownies. Somewhere I have her recipes....

Brambles are also great producers. One year my raspberry plot produced 35 quarts of berries! They took up probably a whole shelf in the freezer and I had raspberries for the next few years.

There are some new raspberry and blueberry varieties that are specifically adapted to containers. I'm thinking of trying them; raspberries are easy to care for through once a year pruning, but they do tend to wander as branches self root.

Are all of your 2 acres mowable? Do you use the clippings for mulch and/or compost? Do you plan to expand your garden?

Sounds like you're in quite a rural area with farmers who sell to neighbors and others. That's such a great way to buy, so much fresher and healthier than "food" in the supermarkets, not to mention the fact that in a rural area you probably don't have to deal with smog and can actually see stars at night.

Do you ever use a dehydrator to dry any of your produce?

Back later; I'm getting the urge to sort out leftover seeds and start planning for next year!
(5)

Working my way through to answer each of your posts...

Flyer:

I understand your frustration. Been there, trying not to do it, and still fighting!

It's difficult to want to garden but not have the time or be able to. Sometimes I satisfy that need by reading more gardening magazines and creating more garden plans.

Still, it's not the same as being outside in the air, feeling the soft breath of the wind, watching the butterflies, and seeing the occasional feline visitor stalking or swatting insects.

As we sometimes tell our parents, as we age we reach a transitional stage at which we have to consider becoming the manager rather than the doer. But we can still enjoy someone else's work (without incurring the backaches and soreness that we get).

Maybe you can buy some perennials and have your landscaper put them in for you? With mulch, there would hardly even be any weeding.

You could still sit outside and enjoy the beauty of the yard, but let someone else do all the work.

I never have and probably never will see the attraction of massive lawns. For years I've been planning to dig up and compost the sod and put in flowering ground covers instead. It's a major effort though.

Cwillie:

I think you've summarized one of the fascinating and rewarding aspects of gardening - changing soil from grass or just ordinary soil into something very productive, rewarding and nourishing.

Once those seeds are in, I check almost daily for sprouts, and it's soooo exciting when a little green sprout peeps up through the soil. There's a reward that comes from growing things, whether flowers, veggies, fruits or herbs, that is intrinsically rewarding. In fact, I think it's basic to human nature.

I too used to want to become a professional gardener, but realistically I thought of all the physical work and wasn't sure I would be up to it. It's one thing to garden whenever you feel like it but another to have to do it for pay, on someone else's schedule.

You know, there are ways you can maximize your smaller lot by using vertical gardening. Have you ever seen some of the living fences? They're extraordinary!
(4)

Dang spellcheck, where the heck did enterprise come from?? pristine lawns
(4)

Ash, 3 hours to mow??? Hope you enjoy your time on the mower, I used to whip through in hight gear with the blades raised as high as possible except for the bit right around the house, I never could see the point in enterprise lawns. LOL
Sounds like you are living my fantasy, but I made the decision that I don't want a place where I have to work so hard to keep it going as I get older, and of course I have my mom to look after for now. I never did get to keep any farmyard chickens, be sure to pick some pretty ones!
(5)

I sure wish I knew more about growing veggies in my west central Fl. location near the beach (salt air). The soil has to be amended just for gardening, let alone edibles. I don't really LIKE veggie gardening, but I think it's going to be necessary more and more. Right now we have 90% of what we eat, and what the animal meats we eat having consumed GMOs and that's really bothersome. I don't want to be eating that way. I'd rather grow non-GMO veggies and fruits.
I can relate to each post on here. I feel an attachment to the land and plants. I love getting my hands into the soil, handling the plants, trimming, and creating a work of art sometimes by the way I plant and trim and combine elements in the gardens. I love using color, especially plants that are colorful year round without blooming. That's my and my husband's latest fun pursuit. Cordylines (Hawaiian ti plants) are great for this. So are certain crotons. We can get soft, similar shades or brilliant dissimilar combined colors in specific heights that we want or control.

I can empathize with fregflyer in that we must hire help due to our own health limitations. I remember not so long ago spending long days in the yard. I'd even work into the night using our outside lighting to finish up a job. I didn't need to see perfectly because I knew my plants and beds well.
(5)

Whoops. Sorry I misspelled your screen name, Sue.
(1)

Bumping this to the top for Colorescue who's having trouble accessing via the link.
(3)

Big harvest of tomatoes and I'm picking every day. I've given a lot away, along with some beets. Beets seeded again for a fall harvest. Too hot to can right now so freezing until it gets cooler. Big pot of tomatoes simmering on the stove and chicken bones, meat & veggie scraps been on low in the crockpot for 24 hours to make stock. This tiny house smells wonderful.
(7)

After so many years of the rat race and awful stress one way or another I now live on 2 acres in the middle of nowhere, renovating a tiny 85 year old house and getting into a simpler lifestyle. Pots of flowers and herbs on the deck and raised veggie beds ... this year green beans, carrots, beets, spinach and tomatoes. Putting a lot down for winter. Asparagus that came with the house was harvested in spring and blackberries I planted 2 years ago are fruiting now. Rhubarb comes up each year but so far I've given it away - maybe try to make a chutney next year when I'm more organized. This is year 3. Next year I'll add more trees, some fruit trees, more berry bushes and chickens. In the meantime I buy free range eggs on the next road.

Takes me about 3 hours to mow with the tractor and I weed whack to some degree but I'm killing off the weeds/grass around the deck, raised beds and outbuildings with a salt and vinegar mixture ... I will NOT use chemicals.
(9)

All of it, at least once upon a time I did all of it. Now I have a little home on a small lot and my gardening is limited. I used to wish I could find a way to actually make a living being a gardener because playing in the dirt is my passion! And it's the digging, tilling, planting and weeding that I love the most, the sheer joy of transforming sod or weeds into something else, the physical exertion, the communing with nature and imposing my will on the environment in a pleasing way. I could go on for hours about gardening LOL
(6)

GardenArtist, how I use to enjoy going out and keeping my property looking neat and clean... my OCD would kick in so every weed found a new home in the bottom of the plant recycling paper bag, and every bush/hedge would be balanced out. I would be tired after a full day of being outdoors but it was a good tired.

Now a days I have to hire someone to do that work for me... the fellow I hire twice a year and his crew do an outstanding job.... this guy is an "artist" when it comes to trimming anything green. His OCD kick in :) Well worth every penny spent, and makes me smile whenever I drive up to my house.

If my sig other had his way, everything would be grass, dried up grass with the lack of good rains here. Thank goodness not everyone thinks that way !!
(9)

Adding a few more categories:

Do you use recycling of objects in your garden, and if so, how and what kind of objects? Cement blocks, cement chunks, glass, etc.

Do you ever make your own containers, such as in the hypertufa process? Do you use specialized techniques such as espaliering? Do you make your own fences, including such historical fences as wattle fences? Have you ever tried a "living fence?"
(4)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter