Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
After so many years of the rat race and awful stress one way or another I now live on 2 acres in the middle of nowhere, renovating a tiny 85 year old house and getting into a simpler lifestyle. Pots of flowers and herbs on the deck and raised veggie beds ... this year green beans, carrots, beets, spinach and tomatoes. Putting a lot down for winter. Asparagus that came with the house was harvested in spring and blackberries I planted 2 years ago are fruiting now. Rhubarb comes up each year but so far I've given it away - maybe try to make a chutney next year when I'm more organized. This is year 3. Next year I'll add more trees, some fruit trees, more berry bushes and chickens. In the meantime I buy free range eggs on the next road.

Takes me about 3 hours to mow with the tractor and I weed whack to some degree but I'm killing off the weeds/grass around the deck, raised beds and outbuildings with a salt and vinegar mixture ... I will NOT use chemicals.
(9)

All of it, at least once upon a time I did all of it. Now I have a little home on a small lot and my gardening is limited. I used to wish I could find a way to actually make a living being a gardener because playing in the dirt is my passion! And it's the digging, tilling, planting and weeding that I love the most, the sheer joy of transforming sod or weeds into something else, the physical exertion, the communing with nature and imposing my will on the environment in a pleasing way. I could go on for hours about gardening LOL
(6)

GardenArtist, how I use to enjoy going out and keeping my property looking neat and clean... my OCD would kick in so every weed found a new home in the bottom of the plant recycling paper bag, and every bush/hedge would be balanced out. I would be tired after a full day of being outdoors but it was a good tired.

Now a days I have to hire someone to do that work for me... the fellow I hire twice a year and his crew do an outstanding job.... this guy is an "artist" when it comes to trimming anything green. His OCD kick in :) Well worth every penny spent, and makes me smile whenever I drive up to my house.

If my sig other had his way, everything would be grass, dried up grass with the lack of good rains here. Thank goodness not everyone thinks that way !!
(9)

Adding a few more categories:

Do you use recycling of objects in your garden, and if so, how and what kind of objects? Cement blocks, cement chunks, glass, etc.

Do you ever make your own containers, such as in the hypertufa process? Do you use specialized techniques such as espaliering? Do you make your own fences, including such historical fences as wattle fences? Have you ever tried a "living fence?"
(4)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter