I am concerned about future care for my 42 year old son who has severe physical disabilities and relies on power wheelchairs for mobility. He is also a college graduate, very creative, and drives his own van. After conducting a recent search for personal care for my mother in law who has dementia, I was disappointed to learn that even assisted living facilities said they would not accept my son because he must use a power chair. Some places said they might even consider him as a younger than normal resident until they heard he must use a power wheelchair. Our local county CCSP department has not been much help - I would have thought this issue must have come up before. Is a nursing home his only alternative?

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
He is perfectly capable of managing his own affairs. Do not interfere with his decisions. ALF's accept power chairs and even pets.

If I were you I'd check into Adult Foster Care. That's literally someone's home that has room for a few residents. We've had really good luck here in Oregon for my father-in-law who we needed to move out of the hospital, but we didn't want to put him in a nursing home. Also, you might check more than just a few asst. living places. I'm pretty sure I've seen electric chairs in my mother-in-law's facility. Not sure they're all created equal to be honest.

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter