Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
KimC.... Funny, I think I have her twin as a mother. LOL My mother has CHF, COPD, Diabetes, neuropathy from the diabetes and the beginning of Dementia. She can be so sweet and then very irrate and think we are doing something against her: taking her money, being untruthful, etc. I love my mother with all my heart. She has always been the rock in our family that has kept us close. I hate to see my mom in this state. She asks God to take her home every day. She has always been negative but now is really bad. When she does ask us to take her to the doctors, she never does what they tell her to do. She thinks they are all deceitful people. When we go to the hospital for an emergency, she also won't let them do tests. What is the purpose of going to the ER or doctor's office if she isn't going to take their advice? Anyway, that is my mom. My mom lives with me and is at 4 months now. I live in Utah so the altitude is doing a number on her. She always asks why I brought her here to this awful place where she needs to wear o2 24/7. This is where my husband's job is. Utah is gorgeous. Our home overlooks the mountains. She is legally blind and can't even enjoy the mountains. I know God has a plan for all of us but sometimes you wonder why our parents have to go thru all the suffering. Their work on this Earth must not be finished. Keeping the faith that my mom will be at peace one day and that her suffering will cease. I love my mother so much and miss the person she used to be. Please take care of yourself because your mind and body can go downhill very quickly. Prayers and hugs...)
(2)

Like my mom, your mom is living inside her mind and believing her own thoughts. It seems we all do and that's the insanity of the human race.

Whenever you're feeling those feelings that are tearing you apart, try to come back to the present moment. Ask yourself "what's my problem right now?"

Then deal with the problem (if there is one) right now, and if not (probably more common) relax and know that being centered right now will stop your suffering.

My favorite thought.....If you are depressed you're living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are living in peace you are living in the present.
(1)

I am new to this forum but not new to this frustration. So many great words have been said, standing your ground and speaking your truth are critical. My Mom has been crippled with rumitoid arthritis 30 yrs and manic depression for 40 yrs. the mental side has been the hardest. I have been involved in recovery groups for 20 yrs it is what keeps me from loosing it. We can not do this alone. In my experience I have found that durable power of atty and medical pow of atty and HIPPA release forms have limited powers unless she is declared imcompitant or incapacitated. I have all these for my Mom and the doctors talk to me, she doesn't drive so I take her to all her doctors, but I can't force her to do treatments if she does not want them. I have to remember these are her choices but I do not have to support her if I believe they are bad choices. I know in my community ther are caregiver support groups, some times it helps to get a physical hug. That being said this forum is great. I to was at the end of my rope with Mom last night so your note helped me get back on track myself. Thanks
(3)

LabRat: I do understand what ur saying about checking the sugar count. And she also feels bad when her blood pressure is low too. So she is has to check both of those things on a regular basis, Which she is suppose to be doing that anyway.

Carmen: I too hate to see my mom in this state to once be a strong person. And my mom too has ALWAYS been negative. When she is really down and sick she repeatedly ask why doesn't god just take her? Or why don't you just let me die? I know when she says that she is really suffering. It makes me feel sad when she says that but I do understand she is tired of suffering. It is like she is giving up on life. Like mom when she goes to the doctor she tells me he doesn't know what he is talking about. I just tell her most know something cause he went to school for this type of job. I hear Utah is a very beautiful place. Prayers and Hugs your way!

October: Thanks!

Caryn: No you are correct, we can not do this alone. I am sorry to hear about your mom. No you are right again, we can't force them do test or treatments and that is sad. We all have to take time for ourselves in this battle we face. If we don't we will loose sight of ourselves. Ur welcome. Hugs!
(1)

Hi Kim; So glad that you are able to share your heart here - after I read a really good book regarding setting boundaries I tried a few other things as well. Now when one of my "charges" wants help/procedure/appointment whatever - I have them either write me a note or read & sign a note I write. Then when we get to Dr., lab etc - and they argue about me "dragging" them there or not wanting the test - I simply acknowledge their fear/concern & say - but this is what you asked me to do so I'll be right here, lets get through it & then we'll go home & discuss what the next steps might be. Hope it helps - you are not alone, just do the best you can & sleep well knowing you can love & you can help but you can't fix old age, unfortunately it is something most of us will have to go thru.
(1)

Kimbee, how's mom? I'm still doing ok - just wanted to check in. Karen
(1)

So sorry it being a while since I have posted anything. Mom is still mom. Mom has been losing her hair for years. But now she is now loosing her hair at an alarming rate. She thinks it is the insulin she is on but I don't think so. I looked up possible causes and found two of her meds she has been on for years that could cause hair lose and the insulin is not causeing hair lose but the uncontrollable blood sugar levels (the up and down, up and down) and it could be her thyroid. She still has more bad days then good.

I still trying to keep my distance from her but not totally alienate her. I have recently completed to projects. Redid my sons bedroom and redid the bathroom and still do the house work and cooking and run a business. And I have recently join a Gym to get my self in shape and away from the house for about an hour at least twice week. I am trying to let the stress just roll off my back. And I try not to let my mom guilt me because I don't see her as often but doesn't mean she doesn't try. Let it roll off my back. And doesn't mean I love her any less just means I have to love myself first.
(2)

Last time I posted anything was in 2012, has it really been that long ago. Feels like it was only yesterday. The last 4 weeks have been pure He** for me. I slipped back in the mode of running everytime my mom calls for help. Mom had a really doozie of a trip to the hospital last week. She wanted to go to the hospital! She has been on an oxygen concentrator since April 2013 and was only suppose to use it while she slept. But she didn't, she wanted to use it 24/7. We have all tried to explain to her that she will get hooked. She claims she doesn't remember it was only for sleep. Anyway. The trip to the hospital was due to her claim she couldn't she wasn't getting any oxygen and was in pain and she felt like she was gonna pass out. She wanted an ambulance to be called. Two hours after arriving in the ER she is wanting to go home. That was 7 day hospital stay, which she was not ready to come home. She was mean and ugly and verbally attacked my dad and I and even the nurses. She even called 911 and the police came out there. Needless to say she claims she doesn't remember any of this.

I am just so frustrated right now that I don't even know how to put any of this into words. They gave us 4 options on what to do about mom. (1) hospital stay for a month, (2) a rehab, (3) a nursing facitlity, or (4) take her home and have home healthcare come in. My dad on the ride up to the hospital to meet with the doctor my dad told me what he wanted to do if it was a choice. So I don't know why he needed me there. He chose the last option and I told him he should only bring her home if there was already something set in place as far as home health care. He didn't of course.

She has accused me of not wanting her home, of wanting to put her away, of stealing from her, and all kinds of threats. I don't want to see either of my parents in a home. Then when I went down there a couple of days after she got home to checkn on her. As soon as she saw me she started screaming like a 2 year old and was trying to hide under the covers. I told my dad, that was it I can't handle anymore of this.

Then she calls me a couple of days later, asking for my help. I asked her where is dad. She gives me a vague answer, so I go down there. Talked her out of what she was wanting to do. Then she asked me If I had talked to my sister, cause she has been calling her and my sister won't return her calls. My mom and my sister has not spokening in almost 3 years cause of some nasty things my mom has sad and a done to her. She still runs my sister down to her kids. I am like OH I SEE you can't get no one to your side of things. I did not tell her that. But she used to do that all of my life. When she was mad at one of us, she would call the other and talk bad about who ever she was mad at.

I could go on on and on about this situation. But I just needed to vent. I miss everyone here! I feel ashamed of myself for not keeping in touch.
(0)

I responded to this discussion back in 2014. And I had started my own discussion board back in August 2012, Frustrated with my mom! I am at the end of my rope! Caregiving is never easy and I did it for mom for many years with the help of my dad. After my posting on this discussion board in 2014, she went home from the hospital and continued to fall till it was to much for my dad and I to handle. Plus she was not taking her meds correctly. She was readmitted into the hospital January 7 of this year. She was then diagnosed with Dementia with Behavioral Disturbances. For months before that her legs have been swelling cause she was fighting a UTI, and the antibotics where not working with her but against her. Her health was on a repaid decline from here on out. For two months of being pushed around to different types of hospitals, she was put in a nursing home under Hospice. My mom passed away on February 21st, 2015. She has had numerous of health issues through out the last several years. She is no longer in pain or suffering. As I said before caregiving is not easy but no matter how hard it was on me, I did everything I could for my mom to the best of my capablitiy and I don't regret on singal moment of it or the time I was able to spend with her. Though we had to make some very tough desicions for the best care choices for her with many recommendations. I admire everyone one of you!!!
(2)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter