Follow
Read More
4 5 6 7 8
Alva, just got this all mangled and backwards as I saw your reply to sp and sent you a pm before I saw this…..anyway, agree with you on not wanting a tombstone, but we often threatened my dad due to his disregard for respecting food expiration dates even slightly, with a grave marker reading “He shouldn’t have eaten that”😜
(2)

Frankly, Alva, I’d go through with Kaiser’s recommendation. If they check and don’t find something, why risk an invasive surgery at all?

If they find even dcis in your remaining breast, they’ll be pushing you As to what you want. No hollow core biopsy will cause any cancer to go Mets.
(1)

Back in the 60s my husband's Grandma found a lump in her breast the size of a pea. She absolutely insisted they give her a radical mastectomy. She was cancer-free until her mid 80's when she got pancreatic cancer. She was a good candidate for the Whipple at the Mayo here in MN (even at her advanced age). She was the oldest Whipple patient to that date. She had nothing to lose but, PC always wins. Yet I often think about how many years she gained by doing something incredibly difficult and brave, against what her doctors were advising. Your story reminded me of her.
(2)

Alva--

I am 100% behind your choice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had a friend whose DH had kidney cancer, and yes, the hollow core biopsy they did tracked little cancer cells all along it's outward journey. The cancer returned with a vengeance. She said you could 'connect the dots' on his scans and see exactly where the needle had gone.

He fought a good fight, but did die after about 5 years of treating (and fighting with insurance co!). She is sure that had they known more, they would have done their research better.

I had a 'fine needle' biopsy of one of my cancerous lymph nodes. Not a hollow core. Then the whole node was removed about a week later.

For me? It was the bone marrow tests that were the absolute worst. They just numb the hip region and then by brute force, work a screw type needle into the hip bone (I think actually the ileac crest?) I screamed, and I am NOT a screamer. I thought my DH was going to pass out. 2nd time around, they gave me a fentanyl lollipop--OMG!!! Ask for those when you have to be stabbed. It still hurts, but you really don't care.

I am wishing you luck as you navigate this. You are tough. You are smart--you'll make the decisions that will be best for you.

What a way to start a new year, right? Suddenly things just jump into perspective in a way that they didn't before. You know, b/c you've done this before.

I will keep you in my prayers--even tho I know you're not into praying :) Can't hurt, right?

I'm not having a tombstone either, but if I did, it would say "I TOLD YOU I was sick" on it.

Dark humor helped me cope. So did fake eyelashes and eyebrow pencil.

See if you can start the good drugs ASAP. :)

((HUGS))
(4)

(((((Alva))))). Sorry to hear this but I totally endorse your choices. Dd had the works and the needle biopsy wasn't bad for her. She had a lumpectomy as they have found that for her type of breast cancer lumpectomies are the best choice and she was comfortable with that. But to each her own, for sure. It's important to go with your own solutions. Prayers for a good outcome and little hassle with insurances.
(2)

Alva,

Believer or not, I love your spirit!

I was raised to have faith. Honestly now, I have no idea how I feel or what I believe. I suppose that I could be described as agnostic.

Faith is based on believing without seeing. Science looks at facts. I’m the person who wants to see proof! 😝 So, not sure what that says about me.

I agree with you on not wanting to experience pain. I am a wuss when it comes to pain.

Hoping with all my heart that everything goes well for you but if not, hoping that you have access to the very best meds so that you won’t be in any pain whatsoever.
(2)

My ENORMOUS thanks to you all. I think I have an inkling now of what Lea felt when she told us all about what she was going through. You all are incredibly comforting to me. No, funkygrandma, I am not a believer, but my good friend Diane has been apologized to god for me for a LONG time, and all prayers are always gratefully accepted. Diane just wants someone in heaven she can beat at canasta. I always get beat at cards, and I'll be darned if it's gonna be ME!
(6)

Thank you for the update and I'm truly sorry that, apparently, cancer has once again reared its Alien head. In a similar situation, I think I'd be exactly on the same page you are. Except that at 87 I might not undergo surgery and proceed directly to hospice/palliative care when the time was right. However, again, "who knows" is applicable because "who knows" what I might actually DO in that situation?

In 1978 I had two needle biopsies at the same time. I was in my early 40s (a few months after I married my current--and last--husband). Ouch, for sure! Having lost my mom to cancer in 1974, I got lucky in that both biopsies were negative, but there's a 99.9% probability I would not do it again. And that was WAY before the issue of potential seeding (which makes sense to me) was discovered.
(3)

Alva,
I’m sorry that you have to deal with this, now.

I appreciate your sharing with all of us.

You continue to inspire with your no-nonsense, well thought out, well-researched approach.

We all continue to learn from you.

You are a blessing to all of us.

May you feel loved and supported in this part of your journey. 🩷
(3)

I'm sorry to read this Alva 🤗
(3)

I'll be cheering on for you! Best of luck, and good for you for knowing what you want and sticking to your guns.
(3)

I hate to hear your news, but have to say that I admire your outlook on it all.
I know that you're not a believer in God or Jesus, but you know that I am, so I will be keeping you lifted up in my daily prayers and trusting for your total and complete healing.
(2)

Alva, I saw your post on sp’s thread and wished you well.

Please keep us updated on how things are going. Will most certainly keep you in my thoughts.

Sending love your way today!

I had a biopsy right after I gave birth to our second daughter. I was scared to death. Fortunately, the mass was benign.
(2)

Lea, as far as fearing pain, I have taken and can take a lot of it, but am pretty PTSD on the breast after the first bout and all the biopsies by history. My worst fear is them puncturing into a cancerous tumor and then letting it hemorrhage/seep into the breast , into the circulatory system, and throughout wherever it choose to nest next. Brain? Bone? Choices aren't great.

As far as MDs and their "a little pressure" you and Chuck are more than aware what we all go through with them negating the pain. I have seen women have core samples taken who didn't mind it a bit. And I have seen them end up hours later in the ER with breast hemorrhaging blood and swelling and bruising. It runs the whole continuum. But my FAVORITE STORY EVER regarding breast biopsies is the doctors that admitted they vied with one another for the most colorful swear words they heard that week. BLESS THEIR LITTLE HEARTS, huh? Hee hee.
(2)

AlvaDeer,

My mom had her first mastectomy when I was 5 years old. Very difficult for her with young children. She had her second breast cancer when she was 63. It was a small lump and the doctors suggested lumpectomy. She wanted it off. So, second mastectomy.

She embraced the new found freedom and lived 31 years with that freedom.
I am sorry you are facing this. Keep us posted as you know more.

We care about you, our friend!
(3)

I had a breast biopsy a few years ago which was SO painful, it still hurts. Truly, a ptsd experience when the doctor swore it would only involve mild discomfort. He was male of course, and apparently never had a very large needle pierced thru his scrotum before. Anyway, my abnormality was normal breast tissue after all that pain and suffering. I don't blame you about turning down the biopsy.

Don't forget about the appeal process thru Kaiser, if need be.

Sending you love and hugs and knowing your fiestiness will get you thru this situation too. Not w/o some anxiety and nerves, but you'll come out the other side just fine.
(7)

Thank you for sharing with us, Alva. Praying for you as you walk thru ❤️
(4)

❤️
(4)

4 5 6 7 8
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter