Follow
Read More
2 3 4 5 6
Best wishes for a speedy recovery .
(4)

Best wishes for your surgery to go well Alva . Great to hear you found a surgeon in whom you trust.
(4)

I just found this post and Alvadeer, I just want to say, I want to grow up and be like you at 81. Youve absolutely made the right decision bc yes you have a smart and compassionate surgeon BUT you believe it's the right decision for you! You're in charge of you and you laid down the boundary for your care team. I hope more people decide to challenge the standard practice. All the best for a speedy recovery.
(6)

No, CX. Most wineries won't let me in anymore.

I did just GET the G is for Grafton back again, one of the books I finally let loose out of the library and now want back again, Trouble. I wasn't even aware of Kinsey and Me and I THANK YOU FOR THAT!

Indeed, I miss Grafton. She was a lovely woman.
(2)

@Alva, have you read Sue's "Kinsey and Me"? Or her approved biographical "G is for Grafton"? Besides her full length novels, these are two must reads and Kinsey and Me is available in digital.

"Her daughter said Grafton would never allow a ghostwriter to write in her name and "as far as we in the family are concerned, the alphabet now ends at Y."" I truly wish there she had completed Z is for Zero. Sadly, RIP Sue (and Kinsey).
(2)

Alva,

I watched Smothers Brothers and Laugh In when I was young. Cute shows.

Have you been to Tommy Smothers winery in Sonoma? I went many years ago. It’s lovely.
(1)

CX, I will send the update myself day after surgery.
I should be home in the afternoon of 21st between 2 pm and 5 pm, but I don't know that I will turn on the computer. I think I will be leaving it off for the day.
My partner will have his hands full with the family, so I will leave the 21st free.

Now, if you don't hear from me on the SECOND day, on the 22nd?
Ha ha, time to start praying a bit HARDER.
My love our to you. But you know, 81 falls into the anything can happen realm, and it would be LIKE ME to leave you guessing.

(Do know that my DD has instructions of what to shut down in terms of FB and AC in my DEATH BOOK decorated with skeletons. She has "notification instructions" for any social media sites. But could take her a while to get to it if I so South so to speak.

I will give her phone number to a trusted friend here.
So do trust you will EVENTUALLY know all the gorey details if you don't hear them from ME the day after.
(4)

I too have been praying daily for you since you first shared this post and will continue to do so with your lumpectomy coming up on the 21st.
God's got this and you!
(3)

I've been on a praying text thread with a few friends for about 15 years. I'll be sure to bring your name up on the 21st, as well, Alva.

If you have a friend on here who has your email address, perhaps you could ask your gentleman to send a quick email after your surgery, so that that person could update us?

Just a suggestion. ◡̈
(4)

JLyn,

I am more a true crime junkie. Or NOT true crime, so for me it is Kinsey Millhone, Sue Grafton's 1980 P.I. and those wonderful A is for Alibi, B is for Burglar, etc books. I sink into another time where she drives her VW bug everywhere, has one little black dress, and people still smoked, even in hospitals. I am currently on H is for Homicide.
I didn't like Red or Victor, interestingly enough or even Bob Hope. More a Smother's Brothers kind of gal.

On to prayers. I am an atheist, and have been all my life. Not a CHOICE, I just am not a believer. Missing the gene. While I love old cathedrals all over the world, Brother Cadfyal, Hymms of all kinds, smudging of sage and reading religious texts, and so on, I never had a second's belief in any faith of every kind. Doesn't stop me from reading my Crow Tarot cards (which say just about whatever you WANT them to say, hee hee--likely why I like them so much).
But your putting in a word with YOUR God? Great! I appreciate your loving thoughts however they are expressed, and it is wonderfully kind of you. All thoughts and all prayer accepted.

You know, if you read any of my posts, that I have been this route before. And as an old RN I kind of know what to expect. And as an old ANYTHING I know a bit about how all this goes. Doesn't mean I don't shake like a leaf on D-day. But that's called normal, I think.
I am hoping that the anesthesiologist is a good one and I don't waken more dotty than I already am. After my first few post op posts y'all can let me know.

Thanks for your caring heart. Everyone here has been so very kind and it does honestly make a huge difference for those of us facing down the grim reaper lurking round every corner (I got stuff to SAY to him, don't you know?).
(5)

Oh Dear AlvaDeer, so surgery on Feb 21st, right? You will definitely be on my prayer list and everybody who is keeping up with this. More than a few have benefitted from your wise counsel. Unless you object, I'll put you on our church prayer list too.

Things to keep you amused or calm - maybe old Red Skelton movies, Victor Borge and his attempts to play piano with the sheet music upside down, or three stooges routines?
You know we all love you!
😇
(5)

Alva,

My younger brother’s ex wife went for her very first mammogram at age 40. There wasn’t any history of breast cancer in her family.

She didn’t hear back from the hospital about the outcome of her mammogram.

My SIL very naive and thought that ‘no news’ meant that everything was fine.

One morning while showering, she discovered a lump. Only then, did she think to call and check on her mammogram results. They sent her a letter which stated that she had a malignancy.

She was taking hormones that caused her cancer to progress at a faster rate. She was diagnosed with stage 4, went through chemotherapy and bone marrow transplant.

She had a double mastectomy and against her doctor’s recommendation, she had reconstructive surgery at the same time. I believe that her surgery was around 10 hours long!

She said that she didn’t want to wake up without breasts. Later on, she had nipples tattooed on her breasts. She was strikingly beautiful and very vain.

Amazingly, she endured everything better than anyone anticipated. Once, I said to her that I was concerned about her and she commented back to me, “Don’t worry about me. I am too mean to die!” She was mean but truthful!

She ended up suing the hospital. She had two daughters. My brother divorced her and she had an excellent lawyer and won her suit because they failed to notify her of her results. She settled for a little over a million dollars.

She was a heavy smoker since she was a teenager and ended up dying from lung cancer. She would not stop smoking!

She smoked cigarettes for both of her pregnancies. It’s amazing that my nieces were born without any health issues.

Her children were young when she died. It is heartbreaking to know that she survived her breast cancer against all odds but refused to stop smoking.

The one lesson that everyone should learn from my SIL’s case is that no one should assume that their mammogram results are normal if they don’t hear back from the hospital.

It is our responsibility to call for test results if they aren’t forwarded to us by mail or phone. Occasionally, something will slip through the cracks and it could be serious.

I think that my SIL felt that she was invincible and that she would never get lung cancer from smoking.

She was also mentally unstable. She had bipolar disorder and wouldn’t take meds, which is what led to my brother filing for divorce.

As always, Alva I wish you the very best.
(3)

Oh, my goodness, Alva. Your migration story.

Thank you so much for sharing. I really appreciate that info.

The Bible talks about older women teaching younger women. Thank you for always sharing your wisdom with us. Such a blessing you are!
(2)

@MJ
OH, NONE of you want to hear my litany about reconstruction. But I never worry about what you WANT, do I?

I was an RN 35 years ago first bout of cancer and should have KNOW better.
The breast had to go (after a ton of argument before the tumor board) because the tumor couldn't be found. Given it was already in two nodes they knew it was there SOMEwhere. So then down to mastectomy. And--"Hey kid, you want reconstruction, right? You are young".

I said yes. LORDY. I plead I was in a new relationship one year (yeah, that old man is still here 36 years later; I guess he's a "leg man"), and thought I should.

Let me tell you that THING I called the Frankenbreast was no breast (I hear they are better at this stuff?). With the years it got more and more problematic. With my labeling it ever more nasty things (the Picasso on my chest) it continued to migrate about until it was kind of a Babe Ruth baseball without the autograph located just below my chin on the right side. When it began to pull and tear muscles so my chest was black and blue I finally had to go the explant route.
You know me. Anything to avoid a doc! I wish I hadn't waited.
I was so relieved to be shed of that thing that I cried.

I wish now I had gone flat at the time. I didn't. Live and learn. I was young. I also figured it the breast cancer wanted to go somewhere else, I had a "spare" for it. And while it took it more than three decades, looks like that's what it did unless it's a new primary, which they feel likely.

And what's right for one isn't always for others. For people facing options like this I sure recommend the facebook group Flat and Fabulous. What a great bunch of women. What heart they all have. And so much information. So many choices.
(5)

My mother also had her bout with b/c in 1988. They were just starting to do lumpectomies, but Mom said no thanks and had her mastectomy and reconstruction, and they sent her on her way. A week later, she woke up with a raging infection, and the implant had to be removed. Her horrible HORRIBLE doctor told her they'd put it back in once the infection was gone, and she said absolutely not. He was "sure" she'd change her mind, so he left her with a scar that looked like he'd used a hatchet on her, intending to clean it up once they put the implant back in. My poor mom looked so bad, my dad couldn't look at the wound for a full six months.

I hope that doctor is rotting in a very warm place now, and it sickens me that women STILL are given the short shrift in medical care.

Sorry for that graphic piece of non-helpful information, but the date of your first bout just took me straight back to her experience.

I'll just say that Mom was sent home after her infection cleared up with no chemo or radiation. I taught her how to stuff her bra, since she'd never had that problem before, and as a 34A, I lived with it on a daily basis. She went on about her life and eventually forgot the whole thing.

She was 59 years old when she had that surgery with no follow-up other than years of Tamoxifen, but she died of CHF in 2021 at age 92, NOT from breast cancer.

I wish the same for you -- death from extreme old age. Cancer can stuff it.
(3)

Kaiser is coddling me like an egg.
Who remembers coddled eggs?
Thanks CX. I will be a blithering basket case day of surgery. Likely will have to be dragged in kicking and screaming. But once there I always end wondering what all my fuss was about, hee hee.
(5)

Ohhhh, okay. NOW, I remember.

Making a note of your surgery date, so I don’t forget THAT, as well!

I’m glad that Kaiser is taking care of you! 😘
(0)

@CX--yes, all be certain I will let you know before surgery I am going in, and after I am coming out
I enumerate all the reasons the surgeon gave me for no mastectomy and yes lumpectomy below CX--look for my January 25 update so I won't bore everyone again.
In short the surgeon would have done exactly what I wanted, asked I listen to what she would suggest for herself or for her Mom (interestingly has a genetic component and her family riddled with breast cancer because of it). Then left decision to me.
Will be going back if any other further problems show, or if margins not clear, for the mastectomy, but am starting with wide margins, lumpectomy, no nodes removed (I won't be doing radiation or chemo no matter histology at 81, so no nodes needed.)
The date is the 21st. Day after my daughter's 62nd BD.

Other than Kaiser being on my tail every second now with calls re this, calls re that, and calls re everything else from do I want genetic testing to what meditation tapes are free I am doing OK and on I go.
I am so sorry Ma Kaiser ever got hold of my smart phone number, tee hee! She is a total pest. "Drink this electrolyte drink 2 hours before admission" "do this and do that and do the other". Pre op phone call is today. EKG was last week. And Ma is running me ragged.
Every time I sink down into Kinsey Millhone and G is for Gumshoe (My thanks to the much beloved late Sue Grafton for Kinsey and my second run at her) there is Ma Kaiser on the phone. It's like having a real Ma. Kinda.
(4)

Alva, I'm so glad you found a surgeon that you trust. Everything you reported she said made a lot of sense. I wish you all the best and feel in my heart that it will go well. Please continue to keep us posted. My prayers are with you.
(4)

Alva,
I just read your post that said that you are having a lumpectomy next week. What's the date? Lots of us want to be praying for you. ◡̈

Have you reconsidered your plan for a mastectomy? Did I miss something?
(5)

Oh Alva, I just read what your doctor said and I'm so relieved for you. I think she is very wise and it's good you found her. I loved that she gave you so much information.

I know someone who had lumpectomy and she has done very well.

Prayers and love to you and please keep us all posted after your surgery when you feel like returning to the computer.

Hugs.
(4)

Alva, “PTSD about doctors” Ha! My daughter is a young nurse, 3 years out of nursing school and halfway through NP program, working in OR in a major hospital center. She says one thing she’s learned with certainty is that she’ll never marry a doctor, and most definitely not a surgeon! She finds the egos to be unreal. Of course there are great ones with out all that in mix, but most she finds rather obnoxious
(3)

Wonderful to read your two recent posts and all the replies. Having a doctor you can trust means so much.
(6)

Alva,
Such good news about your doc! Such a relief to hear!

Praying for peace for you as you await your procedure!

Big hugs from this coast to your coast!
(3)

Best of luck Alva. I have worked long enough to know that treatments can be adjusted when dealing with insurance. I remember before needle biopsies that lumpectomy is very doable. My last one just used a needle for location for the biopsy. What is old is new again.
(1)

Thanks Ali. I think I need to bring a private comedian with me to the Waiting Rooms. I am real good every day life. Don't much worry about it over all. It is doctors. A bit PTSD about them, and while they always turn out to be so nice, and without much a real threat at all, it does require some deep breathing.

Anxiety in such situations has always been my enemy. Believe you me, at 81 I have TRIED IT ALL. Ha ha. I basically get through just reading, doing Sudoku, some breathing exercises, and realistically, how much time do we really spend in waiting rooms? Not much if the docs are on time. I mean the actual waiting room, not the proverbial one that is days long.

I appreciate your insights! A sledgehammer to my head would work as well, and I sometimes think of carry one with me to appointments!
(1)

Alva, maybe a distraction would help. What's something really fun for you that could be a helpful mental redirection during this time? What about watching/rewatching your favorite comedies? Keep your spirits up and get your mind off things to the degree that you can. The day will come; it will pass. Please take really good care of your mind and spirit throughout. A caring, intelligent surgeon has the big job in this fight covered for you. I hope your nerves ease up. 💖
(2)

Such good news and a big relief that this doctor is taking your wishes seriously, Alva. My cousin, in her 70s, recently had a lumpectomy for a cancerous breast tumor and is doing great. I trust the same outcome for you and will keep you in my thoughts until you're on the other side of this.
(5)

What a huge blessing to find a wise doctor! One who possesses the skill and wisdom to listen and advise based on your best interests instead of that all too often need to just prove something. So happy that you have a plan that you’re at peace with! Godspeed as you prepare for surgery, wishing you all the best
(2)

RR, you are so right. I told her that when she sat back and said to me "I will do whatever you ask me to do (re removing entire breast or lumpectomy); first let me tell you what I would do myself and what I would recommend to my mother in your place, and let me tell you WHY". Then she did that. Because she started by reassuring me it was MY DECISION, it made me TRUST her. And in this it is all about personal decisions and trust. There's a lot more involved here than the decision to rid oneself of a troublesome breast. The lumpectomy is one and one half hours of less anesthesia and the mastectomy is more like four with heavier anesthesia; we all know about elders (that's me) and anesthesia. Then there is that I have long standing atrial fib. For a longer more extensive surgery it is longer off my ASA blood thinner, meaning more likelihood of stroke from the fib. Then there the skin healing factor. My first cancer I was 46. I am now 81. Skin is different, doesn't adhere, and seromas are troublesome for years at times when the skin doesn't adhere. She said "You know what it is to heal from mastectomy; you have DONE it" but then gave me the age factors.
All in all I trusted that when the goal is a few more years active as I am, this is the way to go. No node removal as I don't intend to do chemo or radiation so staging unimportant; that preserves that gardening arm a year or so.
Nothing is certain. There's no perfect answer. But when a doctor listens to you in the way you did it forms a bonded trusting relationship in which you can place your bets and spin your wheel at least knowing you are HEARD and a part of the fight for your own bodily health.

SisterMoox, holding you in my heart and hoping for good outcome for you. Hope you will update us. Folks here are a wonderful support in this small community caring for and about one another. They are just the BEST KIND of people.

Ali, you are ELOQUENT ENOUGH!
As to "humor", mine (as was my bro's) is of the rather perverse kind.
As to "clear head"??? Anything BUT. In fact, in the waiting room yesterday I had my second worst anxiety attack of all time. The first/worst was decades ago in the waiting room of a psychologist, first visit when I sat literally ROCKING back and forth and for the first time in my life not caring WHO SAW IT. I mean breakdown time. Trust me, there is no one more a scardy-cat than ME. You know that old Shakespearian thing about the coward dying many deaths and the hero tasting of it but once? Well count me in with the cowards because I suffer 1,000s of deaths. Makes the actual events I am so scared of seem lightweight. And it's why I say that the "Waiting Room" is the worst room in the house.
I pretend strength; maybe some day it will "take". Hee hee. But at 81 what chance is there of THAT. I am so PTSD re docs that the site of a white coat makes my BP fly through the ceiling. My doc won't even measure it until I am leaving the office.
The book isn't it's cover. I am--I must admit to you--a MESS!
(3)

2 3 4 5 6
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter