Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Jujubean, it sounds like you think that Medicaid is only for nursing home care. Not so. I applied for Medicaid when I thought my husband might need nursing home placement at any time. I've been able to keep him home for over 9 years now, and between Medicaid and the companion program whose purpose it is to help elder stay in their own homes (elderly waiver) we have gotten much help over the years. Dental care, hearing aids (both for my husband), a walker, a wheelchair, a bed rail, an adult day health program, and now that he cannot attend that, a personal care attendant, a homemaker for cleaning, and a medical alert system. Since his SS income is over the limit, we have a fairly high co-pay or deductible for these items. For us, these items and services are not free but much more affordable. My mother is also on Medicaid and Elderly Waiver, and since her SS income is very low, she has no deductible or spend-down amount.

I think it would be worth talking to a Social Services needs assessment worker about what benefits would be available if Mom went on Medicaid and DIDN'T go directly into a nursing home.

Good luck!
(1)

This is from an Oregon website:
"What are Medicaid Waivers? Medicaid pays for long term care services in nursing homes. For nursing home qualified persons that choose to live at home or in a residential community, Medicaid will pay for those services if they can be obtained at a lower cost. These are called Home and Community Based Services, Waiver Funded Services, Medicaid Waivers or simply Waivers."
(1)

Jeanne Gibbs Thank u very much for the info but just to be clear. what I was told is that the cost to have someone come in our home n care for her would be deducted from her ssi income at an hourly rate. We barely get by on what we have ergo our dilemma...but yes i need to keep digging each new contact enlightens me to new info, thank you again!
(0)

jujubean, I don't know how it works in Oregon, but here what the Elderly Waiver recipient is expected to pay for depends on income levels. My mother pays nothing. My husband pays up to a predetermined amount out of his SS check. Were you specifically looking into the Elderly Waiver program? Was the person who told you qualified to speak about that program?
(0)

No and and that is what i will recontact them and ask specifics on the "elderly waiver" I am so happy i found this site, the discussions have re-ignited my faith and motivation to Keep digging for get help! I had been so exhausted/burnt out /down/overwhelmed I lost my faith. I feel so much better just knowing I am not alone!! And I had really taken the abandonment so personal and now i can understand better! Yesterday, I actually had a to a friend in beauty school and she gave me a mani/pedifor the first time in 7 years, it felt wonderful, and refused to take any money! Thank you all and Keep the faith!!
(1)

This site is so great whatever problem you are having usually some one else has gone through the same and can give advice and most importanly support I will never forget comming here over 4 yrs ago and finding such great people-it gave me the will to continue on the journey of caregiving with some hope that it would come out all right.
(0)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter