Follow

That's a broad statement--but I don't know how to phrase it better!
Hubby is 66, still working FT (he LOVES his job!) and travels quite a bit. He has developed this 'habit' as he travels--he walks in the hotel, turns the TV to FoxNews and it's on the entire time he's in the room, sleeping or awake. He also has a continual feed of FB on his phone, so it's blowing up all day and night while he spars with "the left wing". Then when he's home, he continues this way of living. He treats our home like a hotel! The TV is on within seconds of him arriving home and even if I can coax him to the kitchen to eat dinner (he prefers to eat all his meals in bed)--his phone it right at the hand and he will barely talk to me as he watches the FB feed roll by.

He does work hard. He also relaxes hard. He will sleep for 3 days straight (I know this sounds impossible, but he does) so, a trip of a week is followed by 3 days of "downtime" in which he is asleep, with the TV blaring (he's about 75% deaf) and if I dare to turn the sound down, he wakes up and says "I am watching that!!".

B/C he will not turn the TV off, I cannot sleep in the bedroom with him, so I moved downstairs to the spareroom. He watches TV so loud, I have more than once texted him (at say, 2:30 am) "please turn the sound down".

He will not talk to me, he thinks I am dumb for not "keeping up" with the news--but I do, just not 24 hours a day! I check my FB once a day or so, but he has become so belligerent in his posts--our whole family has unfriended him.

The combination of the deafness, the LOUD TV viewing and the eating in bed and just never knowing if he's going to get up and engage with the family, or talk to me or want to spend time with me--I feel very abandoned and alone.

We NEED to move to a more "senior friendly" home. He has fought me on this tooth and nail. We have a split entry home, I run up and down stairs all day long. One car garage, which houses HIS car. I have to schlep groceries, etc across the driveway and up 7 steps into the house. Laundry is downstairs. 16 very steep stairs to the attic, 7 stars down off the porch--but since he NEVER goes downstairs or in the backyard, he doesn't see the problem. He walks in the house and goes to bed. Period.

I guess I could live with this sleeping dynamic, he's done it since he had a liver transplant, and I'm used to it. But the TV is SO depressing and angry, he's absorbed all that anger. FB is just a place for him to spout his super right wing views.

We did our trust planning yesterday with the attorney. Attorney asked if we were making any major changes in the next couple of years and I said "We plan to move" to which DH quickly said "No, we're not going anywhere". I looked a fool. Later asked him what he meant by that and he said "Oh, I was just teasing". (Any time he hurts my feelings, he always says he's just teasing).

I'm feeling so very at a loss with him. I don't *work* anymore, but I DO take complete care of our house, cars, money, meals, budgeting, family things etc. Basically, all he needs to do is go to work, I ask zero of him here at home.

Yes, he has depression and is on 4 meds to help with that. He quit going to therapy b/c he said he was "cured". He refuses to acknowledge the hearing loss, which is worsening and he misses so much.

I cannot make him change, I open my mouth and he is immediately in "shut her down" mode.

Retirement looms. I ask what he plans to do and all he says is he just wants to sleep. I believe it.

I have posted about parts of this "whole" before--but we're at a crucial point here. I want to move--he's never loved this house, so I do not get that. I am seriously looking at buying a duplex, he lives in one side and he lives in the other. It sounds crazy, but I'm beginning to think that's what I might just do.

I AM making an apt with an ENT and an audiologist. He has to go---I will not stand by and let him lose what hearing he has left. If it's MY voice he doesn't want to hear, the I'll deal with that.

Just a rant/vent. I am so beyond frustrated with him.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
I will share this shameful incident with you. I'm sure it will make you feel better.

My then husband loved a radio station called LBC. Talk radio plus phone ins plus ads, 24/7. He kept it on in the bedroom. We were in a little house with three young children and no spare room.

The grumblings and disputes grew over time - you know how it goes. Then I blew up one morning after another disturbed night, saw red, grabbed the clock radio and threw it in a rage against the wall.

Infuriatingly, the F***ING thing failed to break.

Can I draw a veil at this point?

Don't suppose he'll consider headphones, no?
(4)

I do feel better because I threw his phone across the room one night. Darn thing didn't break, but you'd have thought I'd thrown a puppy!

I forgot to mention he also pops on his Bluetooth noise cancelling headphones on also. Wears them all day. Kids call them mom-cancelling headphones.
(2)

Is divorce out of the question? Good grief...Sounds awful..I rather say something nice and supportive but I’m stumped. I read your posts all the time. You’re a good one M Kid. Good luck with this guy.
(4)

My hubs is also a fox news addict. This man never voted ever.. until trump! My mom is a cnn junkie.. I swear I live in a battlefield somedays! My way of dealing is... if mom has cnn on .. I wont go sit with her in the rec room.. she changes the channel fast because she wants company. I put on the local news in the am to catch the local stuff and the weather... hubs changes it to fox when he gets up. When he is not paying attention or leaves the room I change the channel to discovery or destination America.. Anything!!! However, as both of them want my attention and company this works well. Sounds like it may not at your house. I also have told my hubs we are moving out of housezilla when mom passes ( live in a brady bunch style house)..and he refuses. Recently told him,, then I will move.... lol We'll see what happens..
(4)

Divorce is not an option--for many reasons. I've offered, if he is so miserable, to leave him and let him be, but he insists he loves me and wants to be married to me.

I got him an appt at the audiologist's. If he opts not to go, then it will tell me a lot. That he doesn't respect the marriage, me or my desires for a real life with him.( It took 14+ years to get him to see a psychiatrist! ) His hearing loss is about HIM not me. I can yell, all day if I have to, but he is missing so much of life. AND he looks plain stupid when people are talking to him and he doesn't respond at all. Blank look. People have actually asked me if he has early onset dementia!!

The house thing--I am making this move mostly for HIM-he gets a jetted tub, a man cave, a den with the biggest dang TV you can buy and it will be soundproof!! If he plans to sleep until he dies, then I can't stop him.

He's not a monster, he just simply is so out of it, due to the hearing loss and lack of interest in actual life that he misses everything. And as far as TV goes, he is OBSESSED with Fox News and I break out in a cold sweat when I hear the voices of the commentators. I have an anxiety problem and FN just adds to it. I actually don't watch TV at all--just a few favorite shows I watch on my Kindle. Most TV is just garbage!
In the "new house" there will be one huge TV in his soundproof den and one in the Family Room for times when the whole family is together and wants to watch something.
I think retirement with this guy is going to be hard. Maybe if he could hear me, both physically and emotionally, things would be better. I really don't know.
(4)

MidKid, no wonder you are very frustrated!

What kind of job does H have, that he doesn't need to have good hearing?
(3)

I understand your frustration. I believe there is no truthful ‘news’ on any channel on TV. It’s all lies and manipulation of the populace. My husband agreed and we had our satellite dish turned off. I missed the ‘idiot box’ for a few days and now, MY ANXIETY is much much improved. The news media attempts to brainwash us and keep us on edge (we’re easier to control on Election Day)!

My father is completely addicted to FOX news but he will watch nature shows, history channel, things of that nature. He’s deaf as a stone and even though he has hearing aids. They help some but he can’t communicate on the phone or if a person speaks English as a second language. He likes it in that quiet world. But I’m expected to be the translator and secretary. I know there are worse jobs but it’s tedious because people get offended as my dad gets angry when no one can communicate!

Get your DH a set of headphones 🎧. They connect to the TV and it can be muted all day. YOU won’t have to listen to it. Your husband is not in good health because of the liver transplant, the anti rejection drugs have side effects. That’s why he sleeps three days after being on the road for work. That can’t be helped but he CAN take an antidepressant. That TV can be disconnected and I recommend getting Netflix. Or another live streaming channel. Forget the NEWS, it’s lies and propaganda and that includes from CNN to FOX!!!!
(3)

His ups and downs almost sound bipolar to me.
(4)

Except for the working part, my husband is the same way. He had a stroke in 2003, and although it was not a very severe one, he basically gave up. In the ensuing years since, he’s had many health problems, most of which required therapy. He cooperated (mostly) during the many sessions he’s had, but as soon as therapy time was over, that was it. I’m sure every therapist he ever had would tell you he participated during sessions but they could tell he did no work on himself afterward. They knew. At this point, his mobility has deteriorated to the point that he is bedridden and I blame him. I do everything for him but feed him. For at least 15 hours a day, he does nothing but watch reruns on television. The same shows, the same episodes, over and over and over. I handle absolutely everything else. Considering that for our 43 years of marriage, I have been treated by his family and him like he did me a favor by marrying me, you can bet I’m resentful. Money is nonexistent. I am on my way later on today to try to sell my mother’s silver and her wedding rings just to pay our bills. I feel like I’m going to a funeral.

My only advice is to get your own life. You’ve made it clear to your husband that you’re unhappy and he’s not changed. Even if the audiologist prescribed hearing aids, you can’t kneel on his chest and force them into his ears. Live in the house as if you were divorced. I’m not going to tell you to hurry out and get a job, join clubs or volunteer because at our age, and being as unhappy as we are, being little Susie Sunshine to a new group of people isn’t doable, but if there is something you enjoy doing, devote as much time to it as you can. Keep up your “duties” but get hubby out from under the microscope. If this is how he wants to waste his remaining years, let him. If depression or bipolar issues are his problem, he won’t own up to it and will “tease” you again in front of someone. I’ve been married and “on my own” for a dozen years. I go to functions and holiday celebrations alone, a widow with a living husband. I know this is not how you thought your life would turn out. Me either. Peace to both of us.
(2)

Faux News and Facebook 24/7, yikes. They are two of the greatest time sucks ever. I feel for you, MKid.

My mom got my dad “tv ears,” a type of heaphones. If your husband wouldn’t try those, I hate to resort to sneakiness, but maybe forget to pay the cable bill, pick up his phone and “accidently” delete the FB app.

I bet being without both will help his anxiety.

I haven’t watched the news since the late 90s. (It wasn’t intentional, just forgot to pack the tv when I moved to NY. Then I was in NY, so many things to do, who has time to watch tv?) I have a tv now but I only Netflix on it. I can still keep informed with Google News. I do have FB but only view it once a week. (I started out 24/7, weaned myself to FB-free weekends, then went from there.) It’s addicitive but having a life (and you deserve a good one!) is so much better than living online.
(1)

Ahmijoy---
I read your post just now and thought "wait, did I write this?". Hubby has also had a stroke (minor, corrected a hole in his heart and we never looked back) and he had a near fatal motorcycle wreck 5 years ago b/c he so wanted a motorcycle and thought that would make him happy. Most assuredly did not.

We could be twins in the dynamic of our marriages--and that is very sad.

Dh's family also looks down on me, in fact, his mother has often told me how I have ruined her son's life. DH does not stand up for me, and never will. He knows it's true, but he says he "won't do conflict". So I have zero relationship with his mother.

I really do live like a single person. I am lucky in that DH does work, and works hard. So do I! So, we amassed enough so when we retire, we'll be just fine. I just am terrified of having him around 24/7, TV on, bored, sleeping and doing nothing, driving me insane!

I do have hope--there is a spark of love in me, for him. He isn't a bad person, he's not a bad guy...he just doesn't exert any energy towards making our marriage a priority at all. He thinks I am crazy ( I was severely abused as a child and it messed me up something fierce) he plays on that, sometimes, and I know he doesn't realize how very hurtful it is. I've been in therapy for 20+ years and slowly, now with the greatest therapist in the world, I am making progress. Right now we ARE working on me, and what I am going to do when he retires and is home all the time. I believe I will have some peace, and it will work out, even if that means we barely communicate and we never sleep in the same room again. Or, we buy a duplex and live together, but separately.
I'm going forward with the "new house" and he can just take his bed and sleep in a different place. That's all a house means to him!

Trying to count my blessings: I have 5 of the MOST amazing kids in the world. They are married to 5 of the most incredible people I could hope for. Everyone is loving and good to me. My SIL's (4 of them) are wonderful, sweet and caring. Their love and my 14 grandbabies' love is what sustains me.

I'm trying to focus on the positive--after my initial rants. He is out of town for an extended trip and I am going to take this time to reflect, look at houses and prayerfully ask for guidance.

I feel for you, as I think our lives are very similar. I do have a very fulfilling life outside of this marriage, I learned very early on to make friends and get out, since I wasn't getting much in the way of a marriage and companionship. Still-I see couples who are our ages and I see them obviously loving each other and I want to weep.

Hugs to you--sister in heart---I think we are not very unusual in this. And that's sad. Our hubbies are men of an ancient generation--that's for sure. Thank you for your post. Knowing I'm not the only one with this dynamic is helpful.
(2)

Regarding cable news. Back when my Mom was in long-term-care, I was sitting in the main TV room by myself and scrolling through the channels. A nurse came in and politely asked me not to place cable Fox News on as it upsets the patients. I found that quite interesting.
(9)

I didn't ask my Dad if he wanted headphones I gave them to him as a gift and then hooked up the system and had him put on the headphones. HE COULD HEAR THE TV SO MUCH BETTER than without it was instant. Plus they have very small ones now......I suggest you get them so your husband can travel with them (HINT HINT) and have him try them at home. Tell him that you'd really LOVE to be in the room with him to watch a movie. If he refuses to do any of the above, face the fact that he may be having psychological issues and at least take yourself to someone professional to discuss your options.
(4)

Fox News disturbs lots of people.....I can't stand it either!
(4)

Has he always been this way?
(3)

I think I said he HAS headphones, and they ARE connected to the TV so there is no need for the TV sound to even be on! Or they are connected to a podcast on his phone--basically he HAS to have noise in the background all the time.

I have been in private therapy on and off for 20+ years.

No, he has not always been this way. He was an amazingly active, sports-freak in the first 20 years we were married. He was always playing Basketball or baseball--then time and a lot of injuries sidelined him, as is often the case. Started golfing 4-5 days a week instead, which was great.
He started having chronic fatigue about 20 years ago-- and a blood test later confirmed he had Hep C. So we lived with that death sentence staring us down for a long time--he developed Primary Liver Cancer 13 years ago and did receive a liver transplant. Miraculous, really. But the he had to do an 84 week regimen of chemo to knock out the HepC, which it didn't. Bought him some time until Harvoni was released and 12 weeks on that and BOOM--this monster that had essentially ruled our lives was gone. (Along the road after the TP, he had a stroke and a near fatal motorcycle accident.) I have been there for him through all this--caregiving, nurturing and holding the family together. It's beyond exhausting.

He thinks the HCV is to blame--but I know that isn't the root cause. He can work 72 hours in a row, if need be (he's an electrical engineer) but then he has to sleep for the same amt of time. He was seeing a psychotherapist. I know she helped him a LOT, but he said he was "cured" whatever that means and stopped going. He has to see her again in a couple of weeks for a tweak of his meds, but he takes 4 medications for the depression. Makes no difference, really.

I have offered him a divorce, if he is so miserable with me. He says he's not, says it's just my bad luck I got such a sad sack for a hubby. Rolls over and goes back to sleep.

NOTHING bothers this guys except for all Democrats. That last election--I thought he'd have an aneurysm, what with all the stupid drama.

Nope, he's not bi-polar. For sure he has ADD, but doesn't do anything about that.

His liver doc says he has a normal lifespan. The liver match was so perfect he barely takes any anti rejection meds. He plays "happy camper" for the doc.

I just don't know. It's so pleasant and peaceful when he's not home. I wish so much he would sit and talk to me, I have done so much to please him and make his life smooth and comfortable--and I know he doesn't even "get it".

I do appreciate all the replies. I have been so down about this for sooooo long. I really just don't know what to say or do to/for him anymore.

IF he acquiesces and goes to that audiologist's apt on the 28th it will mean a great deal to me ( and the kids!)--that he is listening and cares. If not (and I'd bet he won't) I don't know what to do. Duplex shopping, I guess.
(3)

Have you considered informing his psychotherapist about your husband. You can legally share information, but without a medical POA you can't discuss it. I trust he has a psychiatrist who prescribes and oversees his meds. You need to tell them what is going on as well.

What has your therapist encouraged you to do since such a drastic change in his life?
(3)

Dear Midkid,

Thinking of you. I just wanted to lend my support. I hear you. Sometimes we women just can't tell anyone anything and its like talking to a brick wall. You are doing the best you can, short of throwing the TV and computer away.
(2)

Midkid, I need you to read a book. It's called" The Journal of Best Practices". To make a long story short, the author is a lovely man who is married for several years. He loves his wife. She wants a divorce. She's a speech language therapist and develops the sneaking suspicion that his less than loving and caring behavior 
( turning off the radio while she's in the middle of singing along springs to mind as an example) is due to Autism. They work their way through it, with help.

But of course, he WANTS to stay married and so does she. They BOTH end up changing their expectations and behaviors.

I could not live as you do. I lived for 24 years in a very flawed and abusive marriage because I refused to admit " failure". "Failing" at marriage made me into a much better person. In my first marriage, I was always right. In my marriage now, I am appalled at how often I am wrong. My husband never tells me I'm wrong. He just allows natural consequences to take their time and I find out I was wrong. It's kind of humbling.

I would be wearing headphones myself if I were you.

I hate to tell people to leave their marriages, but maybe he'd be better off on his own.
(5)

Midkid58, I'm sorry to hear what you are going through. What has your husband been diagnosed with? At any age, there could be some underlying problem that is causing his seeming obsessions. I would not ignore the things that you notice and would keep my own safety in mind. I might also share your observations with his psychiatrist, since, there could be things that you are not aware of. Manic behavior, may escalate. I'd have a plan in mind, in case I needed it. I'm not a fan of just ignoring troubling behavior. I might also talk to my own doctor to see if they are any suspected causes. There are various conditions that can cause a change in personality, agitation, obsessions, delusions, loss of good judgment, sleeping disorders, etc.

My dad is sort of that way. He also watches preaching, gospel music and Fox news. His doctor told him to lay off the Fox news, because, it wasn't good for his health. He worries too much and gets upset.  I'm not kidding. (He is a heart patient and also has Conversion Disorder.) 

Do you have a Durable POA, so you can step in if he becomes incompetent?
(1)

Hugs, Midkid.

Duplex might be your best option. Both sides single-story, of course! (Does that exist?? In my part of the country, most homes — new and old — are 2-story or 3-story + basement and attic. Duplexes, too. Heck, even ranch homes around here have basements and attics.)

A burning question: How does hubby perform at such a high level at work with 75% hearing loss? Been following your saga for a while and always wondered. 🤔
(3)

My dad (also an electrical engineer) had work-related significant hearing loss (I'm guessing that Midkid's hubs did the same kind of work my dad did, lots of travel to factories and plants with high levels of noise and never wore protective gear). For whatever reason, my dad did just fine at work. The TV was ALWAYS blaring and you had to shout to talk to him. His hearing loss was all in OUR heads, though.

When I cleaned out their house after mom's stroke and I found the audiologist's paperwork that ascertained that there WAS significant loss, and that my dad had filed a compensation claim with his long time employer and been awarded money for the damage, I felt a) totally vindicated and b) totally betrayed that my mom had never shared this information with us. She went along with whatever Daddy said, albeit with a lot of eye-rolling at times.

That's what a lot of those "greatest generation" marriages looked like.  I think that we, as a generation of woman who grew up in those homes, are insisting on something different.
(4)

Midkid,

I don’t have any advice. Just here to lend my support and let you know you are not alone in your situation.

Hubby and I went to Counseling 8 years ago. We both learned some things we both needed to work on. One thing I had to deal with was lowering my expectations a bit.

Yours and my situation are similar but also different.

I also think when hubby’s time to retire happens it will be difficult for both of us. He also works away and has for the last 30 years.

I sympathize with you about Fox News. I used to be a news junky. Had it on all the time when I was indoors. Elections, Politics, National tragedy. Not anymore. Too much ranting and raving, arguing, talking over each other on all Cable News Channels. I just don’t turn it on anymore.

I hope DH goes to his audiologist appt. Maybe if he does then he will find it easier to interact with your family.
(3)

Hi Midkid I think we are all sisters under the skin.
Most of us share at least some aspect of your complaints in our husbands.
Trouble is some of us still love them and just have to find our own path.
It was finally proved to me how much my hubby really cared for mesas when I was literally at deaths door and he barely left my side for weeks. Even now while he has unrealistic expectations of me he still worries what may have happened to me when I go out and am longer than i said i would be.
I fortunately don't have to deal with Facebook or Fox news, although the TV is on constantly day and night. WW11 movies , documentaries, plane crash investigations, and nature programs that mainly seem to feature predators killing baby animals.
Deafness is also a problem for both of us. He won't wear his hearing aides and although i wear mine he can't hear me.
My hubby was on disability early retirement before he was 60 so money shortages constantly plague us. i think bout moving to a smaller houseand freeing up some money but rationally our living costs would still be much the same. i'd love to find a cheap fixeruppers but know neither of us could do the work anymore.
Don't get me wrong I am very comfortable with our lifestyle and have no desire to travel the world or go south for the winter.
(2)

Mid, did he have a brain injury in the motorcycle accident?
(1)

Midkid...

It's not my favourite bit of the film, but there's a sequence in Life of Brian when Brian, pursued by soldiers, flees up a tower and gets accidentally abducted by aliens who happen to be in the middle of a dogfight in space. There is much shooting, then the aliens lose control of their craft and crash-land back more or less where they picked Brian up. Brian walks unscathed, if a little dizzy, from the wreckage; and an innocent bystander looks at him and says "ooooh! You lucky bastard!"

I just thought of it reading back through DH's potted biography.

Have you ever put it to him that, all-in-all, he is one lucky SOB?
(3)

My parents have Fox on 24x7 . It does make my mother very anxious
(1)

Thanks to all who bothered to read my rant and comment!! I really appreciate it!

Answer a few ??

Oh, my, Barb, yes, that motorcycle wreck was epic. He IS one lucky SOB. No broken bones, but a concussion, internal bleed in his buttcheek (for lack of better term) a bleed into his eye, and numerous cuts and scrapes. The EMT's who were called were called to a "DB" (dead body) and boy were they shocked to see this guy tottering out of the rocks. (we live in Utah and he went 60 MPH up one of our very steep canyons and lost control of the bike and went flying at, well, 60MPH into a field of rocks). I have NO DOUBT that wreck caused some long term effects.

After a long weekend of pondering, praying and thinking, and even talking it out with my best friend, my eldest daughter, she said "Mom, we'll support you no matter what you decide. We ALL know what a PITA dad is to live with". Well--divorce is my absolute last choice--so I am going to work harder on loving him. Forgiving freely the past, focusing on the future and trying to remember what drew me to this man in the first place.

I know he's terrified to get old. It hurts. Everywhere and all the time. His life has been his work, and it's his identity!! Retiring means his identity is gone!

I'm just choosing to love him. No matter how hard that is. I literally made a list of his amazing traits ( and he does have many) and I will focus on those. I will (sabotage the TV first) then talk to him when he gets home next week, and we'll work this out.

Funny, the answer to MANY prayers is simply: Love. Forgive. Love. (wash, rinse, repeat!)
(5)

Midkid, you are an amazing and gracious person.

Consider the TBI aspect of this. Are you each other's health care proxy? Can you talk to the psych who is managing his meds? May this is as good as it can get in terms of attention.

He clearly loves you, but has no appreciation of how much his actions are hurting you, which is why I brought up autism.

In any event, I think there needs to be a lot of mutual change of expectations for this relationship to succeed.
(1)

And I thought I was the only one.

My friend/roommate has MSNBC or CNN blaring all day, and I get frequent texts while at work about the latest outrageous tweet and I'm so sick of it. Even during an expensive cruise last year he had this crap on in our stateroom all day, some vacation! Like many people here have done I offer my companionship only when something is on other than news. This year he mentioned an even longer cruise and I said "no way". I'm not paying all that money to feel like I'm not even away from home.
(0)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter