Follow

The Silent One
I hear you and the things you say. I see you and recall the memories from yesterday.
I have things I want to say. My eyes see, my mind speaks. But my thoughts don't make it out of my mouth.
Look at my eyes and listen to my mind. Touch my hand and feel my pain and my love for you, that I alone can claim.
In my heart is so much pain. It is so difficult to explain. I am held captive in my own body, and I can not speak the words I want to say.
Hold my hand, touch my cheek; through our minds our thoughts will speak.
Your thoughts and touch mean so much to me. The memories are still there; it is just that sometimes they are difficult to share.
I know you think I'm not aware, but even when my eyes are closed, and you sit by my bed, I know you are there.
There are times when I hear you cry and say a little prayer, but rest assured, that is one of the ways I know you care.
It is Alzheimer's that binds the mind and seals the lips. I am aware and full of love and life, even though my mind does slip.
Within this body of mine is still a soul that is loving and kind.
So, thanks for being there and coming to visit and share, because your presence today tells me, yes, you really care.
Dennis E. Jaynes (Illinois)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Very touching words.

When my mom was in rehab at a nursing home, I met a lovely volunteer who took the time to feed an ALZ patient that the staff needed extra help with.

One day, the volunteer worker asked the elderly woman, “Do you know who I am?” The old woman replied back, “No, I don’t know who you are but I know that you belong to me.”

That tells me that she was aware on some level.

The woman who volunteered went every week to help this woman.
(1)

This made me tear up. It was so hard watching my mom going through it and I knew she could hear me and know me during that time.
(2)

Thank you for sharing. I’m among those who believe that people with Alzheimer’s and other forms of dementia are still in there, the essence of the person remains. I have fond memories of being with my aunt, though her mind was ravaged by Alzheimer’s, she had no clue who anyone was or much of anything else and no longer spoke, she’d accurately sing along to songs of her youth, word for word. She was there somewhere
(1)

Well said. I am going to print that and share with my caregivers support group tomorrow on Zoom. Thanks for sharing it.
(0)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter