Follow

Finished getting Dad's papers ready for the tax person only to find out they now want his Driver license number, issue date and expiration date. He is 94 and hasn't driven for over 6 years and license is from another state and not current. Yes I could take him to get a state I.D. and realize this is for identity protection but it just doesn't make it any easier. Thanks.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
WilmaDean - Normally I would agree, but tax prep is a special case. A paid tax preparer has to comply with IRS ethics rules and has to show their PTIN on every return they file. It's quite heavily regulated, and if a tax preparer was ever suspected of identity theft, there would be massive penalties as well as the end of a career. They're the last people I would worry about having my identity stolen by. Except maybe the IRS itself.
(2)

I wouldn't TRUST anyone asking for that info... they already have SS#..and I've had my identity stolen in the past from my DL# and SS# just saying
(0)

Yeah, either use the expired license like pam said. Mom's taxes (Kansas) only need photo ID. She's NEVER had a driver's license or state ID. The only photo ID she's ever had is from a bulk big box store. VITA accepts that.
(0)

You can use the info from the expired license if that is all you have..
(1)

Kym, just tell the accountant that dad doesn't have a driver's license.
(2)

This is from TurboTax support:

"In an effort to help protect your identity and fight tax fraud, the IRS and many state tax offices are now asking that tax filers provide their driver's license or state issued ID ... Providing this info is not required to file your taxes. However, in some states, omitting this info may delay the processing of your return."
(4)

Tell them that, they do not need drivers license for tax purposes, this sounds like they don't know what the h**l they are doing or maybe they do and are fixing to steal his identity. I am a bookkeeper and have never heard of such a thing.
(3)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter