Follow

My father died a year ago in which I am only child who cared for him while he became incompacitated and unable to speak or eat. While I am still grieving his loss tremendously, I am now the care Giver for my elderly aunt who is at the last stage of Huntington disease. She is unable to walk, can barely talk, swallow or feed herself. On top of this, I have an estranged relationship with my mom who was recently diagnosed with dementia who refuses help. I have paid an attorney to assist me with obtaining guardianship and my mom is still refusing. She is behind in all bills and at risk of loosing her home that my father worked so hard to maintain. Therapy helps me tremendously as I am learning to establish boundaries. I just feel overwhelmed and exhausted.

What do you want to change?
(0)

This seems like too much to take on for one person to take care of your Mom and aunt .

I hope you can obtain help for your Mom without you being hands on care. She does not sound as if she would cooperate for you . Best for you and your Mom if she goes to a facility. That is what the geriatrician told me about my uncooperative mother . The doctor said family can not always live with or be hands on caregiver to someone with dementia because they don’t want to be told what to do by family . Please don’t move your Mom in with you . She needs to be taken care of by staff at a facility .
(2)

Oh my, you need to take care of you. I'm embarrassed for complaining about take care of my mom. .
(0)

Wow, this is a lot of caregiving you’ve been doing for a considerable amount of time. Are you planning to try provide hands-on care for your mother as well as your aunt? I don’t blame you for feeling overwhelmed — I’m overwhelmed just reading about you doing this!

How is this working out for you? How are you physically, mentally? Is it possible you are over-extending yourself?
(4)

I’m very sorry that you are going through these struggles. Wishing you peace and sending hugs your way.
(1)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter