Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
1 2 3 4
Diane, I have to tell you about my last batch of "penuche." Once again, I ended up with carmel. I already turned the other batches into carmels...so I thought I'd be "creative" and put some melted chocolate in it that I had from dipping chocolates...thought I'd end up with chocolate flavored carmel....well, the kitchen gods are cahrazzzy...because I ended up with fudge. The chocolate somehow turned the carmel into a penuche/fudge. And it happened so fast...I just hurried up and put it on top of your fudge recipe. Now I have two-tone fudge. The penuche is a little chocolaty, but I don't care, it's smooth. Heh, heh...so that one's done.

"No cook" sounds good anytime...do you have a recipe?

C and D: thanks for all your help. Now, I have carmels, fudge, and one cookie made. Need to make a few more cookies to fill out the tins. This is exhausting...next year everyone gets gift certificates!

L.
(0)

Lilli, if you used any Splenda that will stop the penuche from firming up too. Every great cook has had many failures so don't fret. How about some easy no cook rum balls?
(0)

Lilli-- try the other recipe. If it is better, let's post it here. C & H is loving you!
(1)

When life gives ya' carmel....make carmelade.....

Well, the battle of the penuche rages on. The last batch also turned into carmel...but very yummy and it was more dense than the last. So, I chopped pecans and pressed the pieces into both sides, cut it into little bars, and wrapped them in waxed paper...looks pretty.
I need to have penuche, though, to put ontop of Diane's fudge...like that two-tone look...hmmmm...do I dare make another batch???
I read, late last night, that it might be the sugar. One guy said to use pure cane sugar only...so I bought some.
The fifth time's the charm....wish me luck!
L.
(1)

Christina and Diane: I dedicated my day to baking and, happily, I do have Diane's fudge to show for it. It was the ONLY thing that turned out today. (she did say it was foolproof.) The plan was to make double decker fudge with C.'s penuche on top....well, Christina knows what happened...after 3 batches and many emergency emails to C., I have no penuche but a lovely carmel ice cream topping....how I got that instead of penuche, I'll never know...talented, I guess :o)
Anyway, these were going to be my Christmas gifts this year and so far I have one "marginal" cookie, and great fudge....not going to fill out the cookie tins...was hoping to have at least 3 cookies and two candies.
Now I need some more really EASY recipes...no more penuche. I think I'll buy some of those instant cookie packets where ya' just have to add water.

Watching "National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation" ....love Chevy Chase and Randy Quaid...they crack me up....need that after getting nasty emails from the sib today...what makes people think they can just be jerks and get away with it????

Anyway, hope ya'll are having a great evening....I am off to find one of those 5 ingredient, 5 minute recipes and hope I have all the ingredients....

Luv ya' both.....Lilli
(0)

Yes, Lilli, how did the fudge come out? Are we having fudge tonight?
(0)

I love oatmeal raisin cookies!...Hell, I love just about any cookie :) I might make that recipe if I can get into the baking mood. Thanks for posting. Lilli, how did the fudge come out?
(0)

Oh gosh, Diane!!! How did that happen? I am hand posting because I do not know how to do cut paste thingy. duh. Yes, 1/4 cup milk, 1/4 cup sour cream for the cornbread. I bought a book on Formal Teas about 20 years ago. There is a recipe in it for Lemon Scones. I had never made scones before, so when it called for 2 Tablespoons of salt, I did not question it. I bought a second book for a friend, and noticed they had corrected the amount to "1/2 tsp". Isn't that terrible?! I think I better use my laptop for non emergencies from now on. Thank you for heads up.
OK--Now I am going to post a very good Oatmeal Cookie Recipe. They come out a bit flat, chewy, but not soft. The key is to soak the raisins in the beaten eggs and vanilla for 1 hour before mixing into the dough. Oh Yum! I made a batch with dried cherries and chocolate chips too, but did not soak the cherries. The extra vanilla is divine:)
BEST OATMEAL COOKIES EVER (taken from "Journey to Crunchville" blog)
1 cup butter ( I used 1 cube butter, 1 cube margarine) room temp
1 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup gran. sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1 TB vanilla ( yes, this is 3 x more than usual amount in cookie recipe.)
1 cup raisins
1 1/2 cup flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. Baking Soda
2 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp nutmeg, 1/2 tsp ground ginger (OR use 1 TB cinnamon)
3 cups Oatmeal--quick or old fashioned, NOT instant
1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
1 cup chocolate chips (Optional--yea, right)
Before you start cookies, beat 2 eggs, add 1 TB vanilla and soak raisins for 1 hour in a bowl.
Cream butter, margarine and both sugars. Mix all dry ingredients in small bowl and add to creamed mixture. Add eggs and raisins, and nuts before you add oatmeal.
Mix in oatmeal and chocolate chips. Drop by TBspoon on cookie sheet. Bake at 350 for about 12 minutes. Ovens will vary. Fills a huge cookie jar!!! Enjoy:)
(0)

Hey Christina,
Please tell me that it is 1/4 cup not 14 cups of milk and sour cream. I'm guessing you posted from your phone and it didn't come through on AC. I may try that lentil stew this week. And the salads sound yummy!

I'm still holding steady at 17 pounds fropped so far.

And Bee, thanks for the homemade teriyaki sauce. Maybe I'll try your salmon and Christina's Pilaf this week too. Keep posting!

Love ya,
Diane
(0)

Okay Chris, Here is one of my best friend Wilma's recipes that is my favorite..we would always make it with peaches picked fresh off the trees.

PEACH COBBLER

6 cups sliced peaches (about 12 peaches)
2 Tablespoons of flour
1 to 1 1/4 cup of sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

Mix all together and put in greased casserole or baking pan (deep)-- about 8x8x2 and dot with 2 Tablespoons of butter.

TOPPING -- Sift together
1 cup of flour
2 Tablespoons of sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
Add-- 1/3 cup shortning
1 beaten egg and 3 Tablespoons Milk
Stir all together and spread by spoonfuls over top of peaches.

Bake in 350 oven til topping is done
(1)

Hey, do I have to do all the cooking around here?

Lentil Stew with Cornbread Dumplings

2 cups coarsely chopped onion
1/4 cup olive oil
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
2 TB chili powder
1 TB ground cumin
1 tsp EACH dried oregano, thyme, paprika
dash of cayenne, or to taste
1 bay leaf
4 cups chicken stock/broth or vegetable broth, or water
2 cups lentils--rinsed, picked over
a 14 oz can plum tomatoes, chopped, and the juice, or stewed, diced tomatoes
2 green bell peppers, chopped, seeds discarded
3 ribs celery, string it, and chop coarse
In heavy kettle, cook onion over low heat until soft; add garlic, chili powder, cumin, herbs, cayenne, and bay leaf. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Add stock and 2 cups water, bring to boil. Add lentils and simmer, covered partially and stirring occasionally, for 40 minutes.
Add tomatoes with juice, bell peppers, celery, and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer uncovered for 15-20 minutes, or until thickened.
Transfer to an oven-proof 3 qt casserole--discard bay leaf.
Make the cornbread dumplings: 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal, 1/2 cup flour, 1 1/2 tsp Dble acting baking Powder, 1/4 tsp baking soda, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 large egg, beaten,
2 TB unsalted butter, melted, 14 cup milk, 14 cup sour cream, 2 tsp honey.
Put all the dry ingredients in a bowl, add all the wet ingredients and stir until just combined. Drop batter by spoonfuls over the lentils in casserole,. Bake in preheated oven 400 degrees for 30 minutes. Make sure dumplings are done.
Serves 6. Adjust spices to your taste.
(1)

NANAIMO BARS

FIRST LAYER: 1/2 cup butter, 1/4 cup gran. sugar, 1 egg, 5 TB cocoa, 1 tsp vanilla, 2 cups graham cracker crumbs, 1 cup coconut, 1/2 cup chopped walnuts.
SECOND LAYER: 1/2 cup (1 cube) softened butter, 3 TB milk, 2 TB Instant Vanilla pudding, 2 cups powdered sugar
THIRD LAYER: 1 6oz. (smallest) package chocolate chips.

First layer: Mix butter, sugar, egg, cocoa and vanilla OVER hot water until it resembles custard. Add crumbs, coconut and walnuts. Press into 9x9" pan. Cool
Second Layer: Cream butter, milk, and pudding together, then blend in powdered sugar. Spread over first cooled layer and let stand 15 minutes.
Third Layer: Melt chocolate and spread over second layer. Cut into squares.
(0)

Penuche Fudge for a Lilliputian
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
2/3 cup cream
2 TB butter
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup chopped pecans

Put brown sugar and cream in buttered heavy saucepan. Stir to dissolve and cook over med-high heat until mixture boils. Clip a candy thermometer to side of pan now. Reduce to med-low, continue boiling until candy thermometer registers between 234-240 degrees, or 'soft ball stage'. Remove from heat. Add butter and vanilla. beat well with wooden spoon until penuche begins to thicken. Add nuts. Continue beating until penuche is think and has lost it's gloss. Spread into a foil lined 8x8 pan. Score while still warm. When it is firm, lift out of pan and cut into squares. Keep in tightly covered container. Makes about 1 1/4 pounds.
(1)

Foolproof Dark Chocolate Fudge
3 (6-ounce) packages semi sweet chocolate chips
1 (14-ounce) can Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk
Dash of salt
1/2 to 1 Cup chopped nuts
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

In heavy saucepan, over low heat, melt chips with sweetened condensed milk and salt. Remove from heat, stir in nuts and vanilla. Spread evenly into wax paper lined 8 or 9 inch square pan. Chill 2 hours or until firm. Turn fudge onto cutting board, peel off paper and cut into squares. Store loosely covered at room temperature.

NOTE: You can use Fat-Free Sweetened Condensed Milk for lower fat.
(1)

Okay, here is my first attempt at posting a recipe...why?....because they never work for me. And although I appreciate good food, I am a terrible cook....but I get A+ for effort. I would rate this recipe EASY.

Anyway, this chicken dish is by one of those cute chefs on the "Top Chef" show. His name is Fabio. I can't post the link. But if you type: Perfect Roasted Chicken Fabio into the search engine, hopefully you can view the video.

Fabio's Chicken:

1 roasting chicken cleaned and patted dry
1 lemon, thick sliced
4-5 garlic cloves
Bunch of fresh herbs (sage, rosemary, thyme)
Coarse salt
Fresh ground black pepper
Olive oil

Heat oven to 450 degrees.

1. Rub the chicken with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and lots of pepper (I put a little salt under the skin, too)
2. Stuff the chicken with lemon, herbs, and garlic cloves
3. Place the chicken on a cookie sheet (I line mine with parchment paper)
4. Roast at 450 degrees for 10-15 minutes until skin is browned (oven gets a little smoky...don't peek in too often!)
5. Remove from oven and reduce heat to 350.
6. Flip the chicken over, breast down, and sprinkle back with salt and pepper.
7. Bake for 40-45 minutes until thermometer reads 150 degrees in the thickest part of breast.
8. Remove from oven. Cover with tinfoil and let it rest until temp reaches 165 degrees.
9. Slice and enjoy.
(1)

Teriyaki Salmon (Serves 2)

3/4 lb Skinless Salmon filet (1 lb for bigger appetites)
3-4 Tbsp low sodium Teriyaki Sauce (more if desired) (recipe follows)
1 1/2 Tbsp butter substitute

Rinse and pat the filet dry. Liberally spray a 9" x 9" baking dish. Place the filet in the baking dish. Bring the fish to room temperature (about 30 minutes).
About 15 minutes before placing the oven, drizzle the Teriyaki Sauce over the filet.

Preheat oven to 375 F.

Divide the butter substitute in to 3 pieces and place them on the filet.
Place the baking dish in the center of the preheated oven. Bake 15 to 18 minutes (depending on thickness of the filet).

Note: The filet section closest to the tail is the tastiest and is thinner, requiring less baking time.

Home Made Teriyaki Sauce

1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons dry sherry
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 garlic cloves, crushed or minced
1 tsp finely grated fresh ginger
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes

Combine the soy sauce, sugar, sherry, vinegar, garlic, ginger and red pepper flakes and stir until the sugar dissolves.

Marinate fish 10 - 20 minutes - no more! Or, you can place the marinade in a plastic bag and add up to 2 lbs of chicken thighs. Chicken can marinate in this sauce up to 4 hours.

I have served Teriyaki Salmon with a baked sweet potato or rice pilaf. There are never any left overs!
Bee
(0)

Yum salad, Cricket. I fix a similar one for dinner most nights. It is almost a Niscoise, but hubby won't eat fish, so I use grilled chicken. About once a week I poach salmon for myself and put about 3 ounces on my salad:
Romaine usually, or mixed field greens and arugala
Vine ripened tomatoes
Green olives
Hard boiled egg ( just 1 between us)
Green onion
Julienned pickled beets, (or plain--less sugar, I know:)
Diced low fat baby swiss cheese
Boiled baby white or red potatoes, chilled and tossed in a little italian dressing
Sometimes I compose the salad, mostly toss it in a salad bowl with dressing.
I hardly use any dressing, as I like to taste each ingredient. Maybe 1-2 TB for the whole salad.
Hubby and I eat this dinner about 4 out of 7 nights a week. Satisfying, enough.
(1)

I wanted to eat more raw foods for better health so this is how I did it. Like I said before I don't like measuring things so I give estimates or leave it up to you. I say use more of less of the ingredients you like or like less or change them out for others. I use all organic and buy from a local farmer so it's more affordable. If I put the word "peeled" after an item it's because chemicals are in the skin pours if they aren't organic, if they are organic and you can tolerate the taste leave the skin on because there are lots of phyto-nutrients in the skins. .All lettuces can be used but I use a mixture.

Sherry's Raw Dish (more than a salad)

Romaine and mixed field greens
Tomato (any kind)
Cucumber (peeled)
Sweet onion
Fresh garlic clove crushed and minced
Carrots (I mince mine in food processor to add sweetness)
Avocado
Yellow Corn fresh off the cob
Sugar snap peas
Zucchini
Pepito's or chopped Walnuts (a good handful)
Goji Berries

Dressing

Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Raw Organic Apple Cider Vinegar (I use 3 parts oil to 1 part vinegar)
Fresh or Dried Herbs to taste I use Parsley, Basil, pick your favorites.
Kosher Sea Salt
Freshly ground pepper

I make up the dressing right atop the veggies one ingredient at a time then mix it all up. If you aren't watching your calories for weight and want to add more flavor add grated Italian cheese (any kind you like) and croutons. When adding Croutons you can use less and get more flavor and less calories if you put them in a zip-lock bag and crush them into crumbs.
(3)

Simple Homemade Pilaf (serves 4)

1 tbsp finely chopped scallion
2 cups Instant whole grain Brown Rice
8 -10 whole grain angel hair pasta pieces, broken into 1.2 in pieces
1 3/4 cups plus 2 Tbsp water or (my preference) low sodium chicken broth
1 tbsp olive oil or butter substitute (or a 50/50 blend)

Measure out your rice and set aside. Preheat a mediium saucepan over medium high heat. Add the olive oil or butter substitute to the pan. Saute the chopped scallion in the oil 2-3 minutes. Add the broken pasta pieces, saute until just golden.

Add the water or chicken broth, bring to a boil. Stir in the rice; return to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Let stand about 5 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed. Fluff with a fork.

Great with fish.
Bee
(1)

Cricket. You will notice that I like certain flavors. Here is a simple chicken recipe which my husband asks for regularly. It's simple and fast.

Balsamic Chicken
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/8 cup olive oil
1/2 to 1 tsp crushed rosemary leaves (according to taste)
4 garlic cloves, roughly chopped

In a gallon storage bag mix balsamic vinegar, olive oil and rosemary together. Remove the chicken from the refrigerator. Trim any excess fat and place in the balsamic mixture. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.

Preheat a large skillet over medium heat. Spray with cooking spray Place the chicken breasts, skin side down, and the marinade in the heated skillet. Add the chopped garlic and cook 3 to 5 minutes per side (depending of weight of breasts) or until juices run clear. Let chicken rest for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.

Note: You can marinate the chicken in the refrigerator for several hours or overnigh, if desired. Left over chicken makes great sandwiches or chicken salad!

Enjoy! Bee
(1)

lol I was off a few keys there...."but no one complained". Bee
(0)

So, Christine, here is the meatloaf recipe that was a hit this past weekend. To be honest, I was in a bit of a hurry so I skipped a step....I didn't saute the veggies first. Some of the veggies were not all soft, more like tender crisp. bit mp pme complained. In fact, the fellas and gals gave it rave reviews!

Meatloaf with Veggies and a Balsamic Glaze

3 Tbs olive oil
1 large zucchini, finely diced
1 red bell pepper, finely diced
3 cloves garlic, smashed to a paste with coarse salt
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes, divided (optional)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 Tbs finely chopped fresh thyme leaves
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves, plus more for garnish
1/2 lb ground pork
1/2 lb ground veal
1 lb ground beef chuck
1 cup panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
1/2 cup freshly grated Romano or Parmesan
1 cup ketchup, divided
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar

Directions
Preheat the oven to 425.

Heat the oil in a large saute pan over high heat. Add the zucchini, pepper, garlic paste, 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, and salt and pepper, to taste, and cook until almost soft, 5 minutes. Set aside to cool.

Whisk together the eggs and herbs in a large bowl. Add the meat, bread crumbs, cheese, 1/2 cup of the ketchup, 2 tablespoons of the balsamic vinegar, and the cooled vegetables and mix until just combined.

Using cooking spray, prepare a 9 x 9 baking dish. Mold the meatloaf in the baking dish.

Whisk together the remaining ketchup, balsamic vinegar, and red pepper flakes in a small bowl. Brush the mixture over the entire loaf. Bake the meatloaf for 1 to 1 1/4 hours. Remove from the oven and let rest for 10 minutes before slicing.

Servings: 6
Oven Temperature: 425°F

I served this with homemade Mac and Cheese, broccoli and a garden salad. YUM! Bee
(2)

Bean Stuffed Eggplant

2 Medium Eggplants
1T + 1t vegetable oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup chopped onions
16 ounces cooked kidney beans
2 cups cooked white or brown rice
¼t dried thyme
1t dried basil
1t dried oregano
4 ounces cheddar cheese grated
2/3 cup nonfat dry milk
½ cup water
2t sesame seeds
1T parmesan cheese

Cut eggplants in half, lengthwise, Scoop out pulp, leaving ¼ inch thick shells. Chop pulp. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add eggplant, garlic and onions. Cook, covered, until vegetables are tender. Reduce heat to low. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Stir in remaining ingredients, except sesame seeds and Parmesan cheese. Heat, stirring, until cheese is melted. Remove from heat. Fill eggplant shells with the bean mixture. Sprinkle evenly with sesame seeds and Parmesan cheese. Place eggplants in a shallow baking dish that has been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Bake 30 minutes uncovered.
(2)

Hi Ruth! I'm eating an apple right now! Haha! We must stress good choices, reasonable portions, and a majority of fresh fruits and veggies, whole grains and lean proteins. Perhaps you would offer an alternative or modify for a less decadent result? I hear you, Ruth! Hugs, Christina
(1)

Most of my suggestions and/or recipes will be for those watching calories or trying to control blood sugar- cuz that's the way I roll! Ha ha.
Idea for crustless pizza - pound chicken breasts as thin as you can and use that as your pizza base. Use fresh basil with sun dried tomatoes and feta cheese. Mmmmmmmm! For serving the elderly, simply cut this into skinny wedges, or into squares and serve with toothpicks.
(1)

Recipe # 24 Christina's Meatloaf
This can be made with all 85% beef, half beef/pork (I use ground bulk breakfast sausage--has a lot more flavor); or all ground turkey, half turkey/pork. I have made it each way. I like half beef/pork.
Use 2 pounds of ground meat, any combo listed. Place in a large mixing bowl.
ADD: 1 small or half large chopped onion--yellow or sweet
1 extra lrg or 2 reg. eggs
1 cup fresh Bread crumbs. ( I save the heals from Orowheat WW bread and make crumbs, keep them in the freezer in Ziploc bag.
2 grated zucchini
2 grated large carrots
1 large diced Bell pepper
2 TB tomato PASTE
2 TB Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 tsp dried Oregano, or "Italian Seasoning"
1 tsp. salt, 1 tsp ground pepper--or use to individual taste.
Mix very well with your hands. Form into loaf in 11-13 glass baking pan.
Bake for 1 to 1 1/2 hours at 375.
OPTIONAL: I put ketchup all over the top before I bake it, but you don't have to:) You can put bell pepper rings on top, if you're into decorating your food:D
Note: must serve with mashed potatoes, or the food police will get you.
(2)

RECIPE # 23: Christina's Garlic Toast

Sliced sourdough is best for the texture, as it holds up better to the butter oil mixture, or slice a baguette into 1/2 " slices, on the diagonal.
Place bread slices on a cookie sheet. Oven set to Broil, rack not too close.
Put 1/4 cube butter and 1/2 cup olive oil in a microwavable bowl. ( any 1 to 1 amount. For 2 people, I use 2 TB butter, 2 TB olive oil and 2 cloves garlic)
In a garlic press--or mince finely--4 large cloves garlic
Put in microwave oven and cook until the butter is melted and you can start to smell the garlic. Remove from microwave. The mixture will be warm and the garlic barely cooked. Use a spoon and put about 1 tsp. mixture onto each bread slice, spread with back of spoon to distribute well. Make sure there is some of the garlic on each slice. Turn oven to Broil. Place cookie sheet under broil and set timer for EXACTLY 2 minutes! Ovens will vary, but this time in my electric oven toasts the bread through, is golden on top, and garlic is not burned. Experiment with your own oven. You may put grated cheese--Romano or Asiago, etc.--on halfway through, if you prefer. Serve with salads and pasta, or as a base for bruschetta.
(3)

PENNE ROSELLA (La Regina Del Fuoco)

Yes, this recipe speaks of fire, but it is not hot; it is a savory, multi-textured pasta dish, fit to serve Kings and Queens of foreign lands...
The sweet, slowly caramelized onions meet a tongue-teasing Gorgonzola, with it's side-kick, Asiago. Add chunks of grilled chicken, or keep it a carbed out vegetarian. Either way, you shall be comforted, My Friends. Ciao, Bella.
Gather the following ingredients: Penne pasta
1 medium Sweet onion, 2 cloves garlic
Fresh Asparagus ( if you really don't like it, use broccoli. sigh)
Good basil pesto, 2 TB
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1-2 grilled chicken breasts
1/4 cup half & half ( optional, but better:)
4 oz. Gorgonzola cheese
2 oz. grated Asiago
Ground Black Pepper, red pepper flakes if you want it hot, mama
A colander to drain pasta, a stainless or non-stick large skillet/frying pan
To serve 4: 2 cups dry penne, cooked until al dente. It is best to have the pasta get done just as you are to add it to your vegetables and sauce. If you are quick in the kitchen and all your ingredients are sitting in front of you, you can start boiling the pasta in salted water--about 10 minutes--just as the onions are done.
In a large saute skillet ( not iron), put 1-2 tablespoons good olive oil, low heat. Cut a whole Sweet onion in chunks and add to pan. Slowly cook until transparent. Take 5-6 asparagus spears--or more-- break off tough ends, cut stalks in 1 1/2 inch pieces. Quickly saute in same pan until bright green. As you do this, the onion will turn golden brown. Press/mince 2 peeled garlic cloves into the pan--do not worry about cooking it. Add pieces of chicken at this point--heat is still low. Add 2 tablespoons of good basil pesto, OR 2 tablespoons of EVOO. Add 1/4 cup half and half and stir to make a sauce with the pesto. Drain then add pasta to the pan, mix it lightly. Add the crumbled Gorgonzola, ground pepper. Toss together. You can mix in the grated Asiago, or serve it atop. This dish does not need salt, as you get enough with the cheeses, says Mama Christina.

Serve with a salad and Chardonnay. Mange Bene! XO
(3)

Ok, I warn you...this is not a low cal pie.

Sweet Potato Pie

6 to 8 medium baked sweet potatoes (approx. 4 cups) sorry I don't measure them.
1 stick butter or oleo (I prefer butter, I've used both salted and unsalted)
2 1/2 C. sugar (yes I use white refined sugar, but Splenda works pretty well too)
1 sm. can of evaporated milk (not the sweet condensed milk!!)
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
4 unbaked pie shells

Bake the potatoes at 350 until soft then mash. I just use my fingers and squish them up.
Mix all ingredients very well (I use my mixer, too lazy to do by hand) and pour into pie shells.
Bake at 350 for 30 to 45 mins.

As I said I don't measure my potatoes. I just keep adding them and tasting the batter. It's not an exact science. The last pie shell always has the least mixture so it's thinner. That's the one I eat. I give away the others.
(1)

TERIYAKI CHICKEN WINGS
This recipe for Chicken Wing-Dings has also been around a long time. Maybe that's because I have? Whatever. My step-Mother originally cut it out of the
LA Times, but I have modified it slightly. The key is to use fresh chicken wings, cut off the tip, marinate overnight-- or at least from morning until late afternoon--bake in a SLOW oven, turn often, and don't flip out if your baking sheets are ruined. Now, we can buy the disposable aluminum ones, and I recommend it. If you use foil on your cookie sheets, the chicken sticks to the foil, and rips some of the skin off.
In a sauce pan over low heat put :
1 cup soy sauce
3/4 cup water
1 cup brown sugar
1 cube or 1/2 cup margarine--not butter
1 tsp. DRY mustard
1/4 tsp. EACH ground ginger and garlic powder.
Stir to dissolve sugar and melt margarine. Do NOT let it simmer or boil!!!
Let it cool a bit and pour over prepared wings. Keep in refrigerator. I use a large Ziploc bag within another so I can turn it often and all wings are marinated well, without leaking all over the refrigerator.
Or, put wings in a baking pan, pour marinade over, and cover with plastic wrap, but turn them several times.
Preheat over to 325 degrees. Remove wings from marinade and put on baking sheet with room between each wing. (You can freeze the marinade and use it one more time. Not a problem. Discard after second use:)
Turn with tongs every 25 minutes. Bake about 1 1/2 hours-they will be dark and sticky. omg. They are better if cooled a bit, as the sauce can burn your fingers.
Alternatives: You can cut "the V", and make them into appetizers. Offer damp towelettes. In the summer, I like to serve with rice as a side dish, and a cucumber, tomato & red onion marinated salad. Not recommended on skinned or white meat chicken.
(0)

1 2 3 4
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter