Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
1 2 3 4
This is perfect for those of us with just one or two in the house these days, hate to make a huge cake, (cuz I tend to eat it all). This way you can make 1,2,3,or as many as you need...great for busy young mothers. too.

3, 2, 1 CAKE
These individual little cakes are amazing
and ready to eat in one minute! They are perfect
for whenever you feel like a treat without all the fat
and calories that cake can have. Genius idea!
INGREDIENTS:
1 box Angel Food Cake Mix
1 box Cake Mix - Any Flavor
2 Tbsp Water
Makes 1 serving.
DIRECTIONS:
In a ziploc bag, combine the two DRY cake mixes together
and mix well. For each individual cake serving, take
out 3 Tablespoons of the DRY cake mix combination and
mix it
with 2 Tablespoons of water in a small microwave-safe
container. Microwave on high for 1 minute, and you have
your own instant individual little cake!
KEEP remaining cake mixture stored in the ziploc bag
and use whenever you feel like a treat! You can top
each cake with a dollop of fat free whipped topping
and/or some fresh fruit.
Helpful Tips:
This recipe is called 3, 2, 1 Cake because all you need
to remember is
"3 tablespoons mix,
2 tablespoons water,
1 minute in the microwave!"
TRY various flavors of cake mix like carrot, red velvet, pineapple,
lemon, orange, etc. Just remember that one of the mixes has
to be the angel food mix; the other is your choice.
The flavor possibilities are endless!
NOTES:
The best thing is, you open both cake mixes into a gallon
storage bag, one that 'zip locks' or 'self-seals', or a
container that seals tightly, shake the two cake mixes to
blend and then make the recipe. Storage of mix is simple,
put it on a shelf. No need to refrigerate, since the mix is dry.
Always remember, that one of the cake mixes MUST be
Angel Food. The other can be any flavor.
The Angel Food is the cake mix that has the eggs whites
in it. So, if anyone is allergic to egg whites, you can NOT
serve this recipe.
This is perfect for those of us with just one or two in the house these days, hate to make a huge cake, (cuz I tend to eat it all). This way you can make 1,2,3,or as many as you need...great for busy young mothers. too.

3, 2, 1 CAKE
These individual little cakes are amazing
and ready to eat in one minute! They are perfect
for whenever you feel like a treat without all the fat
and calories that cake can have. Genius idea!
INGREDIENTS:
1 box Angel Food Cake Mix
1 box Cake Mix - Any Flavor
2 Tbsp Water
Makes 1 serving.
DIRECTIONS:
In a ziploc bag, combine the two DRY cake mixes together
and mix well. For each individual cake serving, take
out 3 Tablespoons of the DRY cake mix combination and
mix it
with 2 Tablespoons of water in a small microwave-safe
container. Microwave on high for 1 minute, and you have
your own instant individual little cake!
KEEP remaining cake mixture stored in the ziploc bag
and use whenever you feel like a treat! You can top
each cake with a dollop of fat free whipped topping
and/or some fresh fruit.
Helpful Tips:
This recipe is called 3, 2, 1 Cake because all you need
to remember is
"3 tablespoons mix,
2 tablespoons water,
1 minute in the microwave!"
TRY various flavors of cake mix like carrot, red velvet, pineapple,
lemon, orange, etc. Just remember that one of the mixes has
to be the angel food mix; the other is your choice.
The flavor possibilities are endless!
NOTES:
The best thing is, you open both cake mixes into a gallon
storage bag, one that 'zip locks' or 'self-seals', or a
container that seals tightly, shake the two cake mixes to
blend and then make the recipe. Storage of mix is simple,
put it on a shelf. No need to refrigerate, since the mix is dry.
Always remember, that one of the cake mixes MUST be
Angel Food. The other can be any flavor.
The Angel Food is the cake mix that has the eggs whites
in it. So, if anyone is allergic to egg whites, you can NOT
serve this recipe.
(1)

Sorry that posted twice and I can't change it. Sometimes this system is just dumb! BTW....I haven't tried it yet and I don't like microwaved cakes so I'm going to use my oven just like a batch of cupcakesl. Mama likes muffins for breakfast and if I use Angel Food Cake and carrot cake etc, it just as healthy.
(2)

Hi Ann, Thanks for posting this! It is a miracle cake! I do not like the idea of being able to make a little cake so quickly and then have it disappear, but show up on my bod. Know what I mean? heehee Do you put raisins and pineapple in your carrot muffins? My Mother loves muffins, too, especially corn muffins. I am posting the rib marinade I tried yesterday. Good to see you here:) Hugs
(0)

RIB MARINADE ( Ina Garten)

Saute 1 red onion, diced, in 2 TB olive oil. Cook 5 minutes. Add 2 minced cloves of garlic. 2 tsp chili powder, 1 tsp cumin, 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes, 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp ground black pepper.
1/2 cup tomato PASTE
1/2 cup honey
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
2 TB dijon mustard
1/3 cup fresh orange juice
Simmer for 15 minutes. Cool. Set aside about 1 cup for dipping. Spread the rest on meat side of pork ribs. ( I used 1 package of FJ spare ribs) Marinate for as long as possible--3-4 hours.
Bake slowly for 3 hours at 325 degrees.
(1)

RIB MARINADE CORRECTION !!!
Please add 1 TB grated fresh ginger and the zest of one lime to the above recipe.
This will make a huge difference. Sorry for the oversight.
(0)

Gluten Free Quinoa Tabouleh

1 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained (rinse removes any bitterness)
2 cups of water, boiling
kosher (sea salt) and black pepper
1/8-1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil
1 T lemon juice
2 cup of tomatoes chopped (any style)
1 bunch of green onions (white and green parts sliced thinly)
1 medium cucumber halved, seeded and chopped
1/2 cup chopped parsley (use the curly leaf kind, it makes a difference)
1/2 cup chopped mint or (1/4 dried optional)

Rinse and drain quinoa. Bring the water and 1/2 t. salt to a boil. Add the quinoa and reduce the heat to low. Cover pan and simmer until grains are dry, fluffy and tender and the white germ ring shows, about 12 minutes.

Meanwhile, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, 1/2 t. salt and black pepper to taste. Stir into the hot cooked quinoa (if so desired). Transfer to a bowl and let cool. If refrigerating, bring to room temperature before adding the other ingredients.

Combine the tomatoes, green onions, cucumbers, parsley, mint and let stand for 30 minutes to soften slightly. Add the quinoa and toss gently.

Note: you can also add a little apple cider vinegar if you like.
(2)

I just finished skimming through the recipes. Good thing I already ate supper! When I was growing up, we always had lots of desserts around so I have a real sweet tooth. I try to eat much more healthily now!

Baked Apples
Core 1 apple per person, place in baking dish, stuff the core with raisins and put 1 teaspoon of brown sugar on top of the raisins. Pour a a little in the bottom of the dish and bake at 370 until the apples are soft. Serve plain or topped with ice cream.

Fruit Cobbler (9x13 inch pan)
(I like to use fresh fruit- blackberries, peaches, or blueberries...- but canned fruit works fine).
Fill pan with fruit. Depending on what fruit you choose, you might want to mix some sugar and a little flour and mix it with fruit. Sometimes I double the topping because it's so good!
Topping:
1 cup flour
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup oatmeal
1 stick melted butter
Mix topping ingredients and crumble on top of fruit. Bake at 350 until the topping is browned and fruit cooked as much as you like it.
(0)

Pour a little water! Should have proofed!!! Lol
(0)

You know when you have nothing in the house that looks good to eat - not healthy but good? Well my nana used to make something she called a noting pudding. It was wonderful and I have tried to adapt it for the US peeps on here.

I loved this recipe but no longer make it as the family have long gone, but it's still good.
1 cup of water
1 tablespoon of butter
about 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup self rising flour - you might have to adjust this as I know your flour is different to ours
1 tsp mixed spice or more if you like it plus a pinch of salt
½ cup vanilla sugar, I tried it with splendour - wasn't good at all
(if you don't have vanilla sugar use sugar and a few drops of real vanilla essence)
1 cup sultanas - do you have sultanas id not you could use raisins but not currants

Boil the water; dissolve the butter in the water and then add the baking soda and set to one side

Sift all the dry ingredients together and then roll the dried fruit in that in a decent sized bowl (if you didn't have vanilla sugar now is the time to add the vanilla)

Pour on the liquid you just boiled and mix it all together - it is wet at this point but have faith!

Grease a steamable bowl put the mixture in cover it with a lid if it has one if not tie a piece of greaseproof paper over it and seal with a second layer of tin foil and steam for 2 hours. Serve with whatever you fancy - we have custard but I don't think you call it that. It is good with syrup!!!!! So slimming!!!!!!! NOT
(1)

nothing pudding not noting pudding^^^^^^
(0)

Well, I thank you for that, because I can use my little package of instant Birds custard, now that I know what it is for.
I am going to make nothing today.
(1)

DO you not eat trifle in the states?
(1)

Yes, people do eat trifle-I think they do, because it looks too pretty to eat.
I have been out of touch with desserts, (because here I am, just eating chocolate), but I plan on surprising my SO (significant other, as in husband) on his birthday, late December.
(0)

Oh Jude, the steamed pudding sounds just like my mom used to make. Please tell me, how long can they last, without booze in it, and where is the best place, the fridge?? Thanks! SB
(0)

Jude, one of the nicest brunches we use to go to was held at an old 1800's +/- inn, still with the posts in front to tie up the horses. Trifle was one of the delicacies, and of course was heaped liberally onto our plates. Sometimes we went back for seconds! I don't recall having seen it anywhere else though except in recipe books. I don't believe it's a standard in restaurants, at least in the ones we can afford. It might be in a more upscale restaurant.

That old inn was a special place for a Sunday brunch. The floors must have original and creaked as everyone walked over them. The halls and some anterooms were small, upgraded though with more lighting although nothing like contemporary restaurants.

Eventually, the inn portion was closed, and it was turned into a cancer center.

I really love old buildings - I wouldn't want to live in them but they're such a fascinating part of history.

Are you familiar with Greenfield Village and the Sturbridge Yankee Workshop?
(0)

We Always had Trifle at Every Holiday bash. My Moms was always the Best, but no matter, it was/is still my favorite. We still do make Trifle for our Weddi and Baby Showers for our girls, and it's a special treat!
When I was over in the UK, everywhere we went to visit, in relatives or friends hmes, they always served some type of layered fruit/cream/custard desert with whipped topping, yumm, it was the best part! The British really go all out with the food and drink for their guests, over there, IMOHO! It was lovely, being treated likeRoyalty! I know that I often write it in my posts, but I loved growing up in a very British household, especially all the yummy food, and just the closeness of our tight knit family, so Dear June, please keep your recipes coming!
Cornish pasties
sausage rolls
Trifle, as everyone's is different
Shepards Pie, ohh, the list could go on and on!
(0)

Meant to say, DEAR JUDE!
(0)

Stacey and Garden Artist, just knew I had seen that somewhere, in a different life.
The really nice buffet tables, but did not have any because it was like on display, and wouldn't have wanted to mess it up.
I'll just finish my little styrofoam cup of custard now, and be quiet. Used to have the prettiest crystal goblets, but then came the earthquake, and life happens.
(1)

Right I don't know the different between what we call jelly which is set with gelatine and cold and wobbles on a plate and what I think you call jello? All I know is you don't call it jelly!

So you soak sponge fingers in sherry. they are dry sponge - we call them langue du chats or cats tongues because they resemble them (not because we kill cats all you cat lovers!)then you put that in the bottom a quite a large pretty bowl - I tend to use a fruit bowl.

If your struggling to find them you could use amaretti biscuits and kirsch or cherry brandy would be good.

I usually add some raspberries and cherries at this stage although if I only use cherries then I might soak the sponge in brandy or if I felt like it amaretto de sirogno (I swear thats not how you spell it) kirsch or cherry brandy. Then I pour on top a red fruit flavoured jello - which before anyone says it is cheating but a blooming sight eaier- it should be warm and not set obviously then I pop that into the fridge and make a custard. Over here we can cheat because we can buy it ready made in tins but if not let me tell you it is NOT what you call pudding - not even close so heres the recipe for custard:

50g caster sugar
50g cornflour
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 large eggs, plus 1 egg yolk
300ml milk
300ml whipping cream

Tip the caster sugar, cornflour and vanilla into a mixing bowl and add the eggs and egg yolk. Whisk with a hand whisk until smooth and blended.
Pour the milk and double cream into a pan and heat gently until hot, but do not boil. Pour this over the egg mixture and immediately whisk until blended. Wash the pan to remove any scum from the milk and pour the custard back into the clean pan. Heat gently, stirring constantly until thickened. Don’t panic if the custard starts to look lumpy as it thickens, just continue to heat GENTLY and whisk until the custard is thick and smooth. Pour into a jug and cover the surface of the custard with cling film to prevent a skin from forming. Set aside to cool.

Thats from one of our most eminent cooks Mary Berry in the BBC good food guide

Once the jelly is set and the custard is cool pour the custard on top of the jelly

Then whip some more cream swirl or pipe that over the top and decorate with cherries fruit chocolate almonds whatever your heart desires - I sometimes use baby meringues for a crunchy texture

Oh then you have to eat it!!!
(1)

Ah Stacey steamed pudding is a dessert so you eat it that day usually. It will keep a day maybe two in the fridge and you could zap it in the microwave I suspect - never tried it but I think it would be OK. But you could freeze it and then bring it out in portions and then I would think you would defrost it naturally then a few secs in the microwave will bring it back to life - no promises on that one never done it - We are a greedy family!
(0)

Cornish pasties? Real ones or the ones you but in UK now? The real ones had meat and vegetables one end and apple the other for the men who worked in the mines - they didn't actually eat the pastry they ate the contents.

Nowadays it is just the meat and veg ones. You need minced steak really but it can be the cheapest steak just try for a low fat content or you will have to skim it all off. Fry off the mince with a finely chopped onion and add virtually no gravy but probably about a tablespoon just to moisten it (depending on how much mince you use of course) then add diced cooked potato carrot and swede (rutabaga to you) and season with salt and pepper (I like pepper so I go heavier on that and I mean white not black pepper - it has more bite). If you wanted to spice it up you could add chilli (not for me though). Set aside to cool Roll out the pastry (Use the easy made stuff it works well and choose the type you prefer - I prefer shortcrust but flaky or puff work just as well. (NOT FILO). TO build your cornish pasty you cut your pastry into 8inch diameter circles. I used a small plate as a template. Then you spoon your mixture into the centre of the circle , moisten the edges of the pastry with egg wash (just beaten yolk with milk) and draw up two opposing sides and pinch them together them work your way down to the table top on either side - it looks a bit like the body of a dinosaur especially if you crimp the edges as you go. Then brush with egg wash and bake in a hot oven until golden brown. Bon appetit!!
(0)

We are at Vons, so hungry for the trifle, thought we would try to buy one.
Omg, $29. 00, it is similar, fruit, whipped cream, pudding, some kind of sponge cake, another has lady fingers, surrounding the fruit and pudding.
Our Jello, your jellies, are called Jello, of Gelatin. Then, there are fruit Tarts, on a cake-like bed, looks like pudding.
Going to wait and make it. Looking up lady fingers to see if they are angel food cake or sponge, looks like what you are calling cats tongue.
Need to put chocolate in mine, so maybe lady fingers, chocolate mousse pudding, whipped cream, strawberries throughout, blueberries on top, drizzle with dark chocolate syrup, put in the Birds Custard layered. Maybe that would work.
(0)

Oh if you use a saucer you can make mini ones for picnics
(1)

Kindle, Internet hookup at Starbucks! The first time, and it is faster, working great.
Me, the old tart, out on a Saturday evening! Can you imagine that?
(0)

The fancy glass container would be key, if it lasts long enough to put it all in there.
(0)

You could make individual ones in long tall sundae glasses with the sponge fingers at the back the fruit at the front for effect Send. For the kids we used to be able to get green jelly and I made that as the sea (added just two drops of blue colouring to it with all manner of fruits and they had fun guessing what sort of fish they could be!!! I used a glass cube dead plain to make it in. I pasted some undersea wallpaper on the outside with the face of the wallpaper facing inward so you could see it through the jelly just. the custard was the beach and then I covered the cream topping in tiny meringues into which I had pushed those cocktail parasols. I added some bits and pieces from the sweets ranges that were available to me and the kids loved it
(1)

Thank you Jude, we ate it! Yummy. My post was deleted! Two posts!
(0)

lol Send xxx
(1)

Lady fingers are langue du chats - I have seen them called that over here occasionally. OK Chocolate trifle - slightly different but using ingredients I am fairly confident you have. Chocolate brownies (divided into the number of layers you want and this will vary depending on the size of the bowl or glass dishes you use) broken up and into bowl with some raspberries and some cherries and a modest or not so modest slurp of Amaretto, then mascarpone cheese whipped together with melted chocolate (I melt mine in the microwave but have to say I prefer the old fashioned but messier method of the double boiler. So cover the brownies and fruit with the chocolate mascarpone and then a layer of whipped cream . More layers finishing with whipping cream then grate chocolate over everything and dress with fruit.

Variations on this include using crystallised ginger in with the brownies instead of fruit. If you want to use oranges then use Cointreau instead of amaretto - loads of variations and very very sickly but if you have a sweet tooth, enjoy
(2)

OK so what are you all doing with your turkey leftovers? Apart from endless sandwiches and curry and pizza you can make a really healthy burger serve it is a pitta bread with some cranberry salsa and know its relatively healthy too.
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
1 small minced red onion
2 tablespoons Pesto
Pinch of salt and a pinch of black pepper
1 pound Minced (ground?) turkey breast
1 minced garlic clove
Mushrooms if you like them or chilli perhaps

Mix together well and shape into 4 burgers - if it isn't holding together well beat an egg and pour a tiny tiny bit in which should help. I usually shape them then egg and flour them before shallow frying for about 5 /6 mins each side. I just spray the pan with oil or rub oil round it with a paper towel so it does pick up loads of fat. Then when it is done take them out and keep warm. Meanwhile split a pitta bread into a pocket. Mix together in chopped onion, celery pepper, cucumber add some Greek yoghurt or creme fraiche and then either add cranberry jelly or sweet chilli sauce to give it some zing put that mixture into the pocket with some watercress add the burger and voila lunch
(1)

1 2 3 4
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter