Follow

Father needs to go to nursing home. He is a veteran and receives social security. Will this be enough for acceptance into a nursing home?
Also, he has a home paid for and my mother lives with him and they are divorced her name is on the home also. What can she do?

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Yes there is assitance out there, but a assisting living and nursing home are two different things. A assisting living might be able to take your love one, however the our certain requirments needed. A nursing home fall under the assets they have and also medicade falls into place. If the doctor states that your dad can go into a assiting living it is cheaper in most states. the vertans will give you a certain amount also most assisting living have a supplement that will help you out. They also work with the nurisng home but the veternans only give a certain amount. Each state is different with their laws for the edlery and if there is assets of dad they may require you certain regulations. Are you the durable power of attorney for dad? You can elder care in your state and they can work with you. make sure you haveall the paper work on your dad for the veternans from funeral requirments to separtion papers from the serviceYou can also check to see f he may have paid up insurance policies that you can use for a funeral arrangements before hand. Some states are even looking to see as far as assets the piad insurance policies. I was lukcy I did find every thing for my mom, however the veternans does take time. you may have to get a eldery lawer if needed. good luck patrica61
(0)

Mom, needs to go to Independence living,she has ms, and on ssd.she can still do all things for myself,but used a walker,scooter,and sometimes we get the wheelchair out.Well this be enough for acceptance into this kind of setting.
(0)

Mom, needs to go to Independence living,she has ms, and on ssd.she can still do all things for myself,but used a walker,scooter,and sometimes we get the wheelchair out.Well this be enough for acceptance into thiskindof setting.
(0)

Check with the state in which he is a residence. In some juisdictions, there are veterans affairs at the federal, state, county and municipality jurisdiction level. In Washington, DC, there is what used to be referred to as "the old soldier's home. In the state of Maryland, the Maryland Department of Veterans Affairs (which is different from the United States Department of Veterans Affairs) operates a "home for the aged veteran who are residents of the state of Maryland." If your father prefers a private nursing home facility, then non-profit veterans groups such as the American Legion or the Veterans of Foreign Wars local organizations may be able to help fundraise to help an equal pay for the housing allowance of a nursing home of an ailing veteran of the armed services.
(0)

First of all, you need to be absolutely certain that a Nursing facility is necessary, and not an Assisted Living facility. There is a huge difference in cost!
Next, your father can qualify for a benefit from the VA called "Aid and Assistance" which could provide about $1800 per month. Go to www.veteranaid.com for details.
Be sure to visit all available facilities in your area and get their costs and policies about payment. If all else fails, you might be able to use Medicaid (but you must qualify). The house won't count as part of his "assets". I don't think Mom plays a roll here, because they are divorced.
(0)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter