Follow

My mother has her own house and she is able to pay all her bills without help from anyone. And for this reason I have family members without jobs come to live in the house with nothing to contribute to the household. Not only are they there but they bring their girlfriends to live in her house free of charge. I am the primary caregiver for my mother. What should I do about this?

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
.....this thread was started back in April and the OP hasn't been heard from since then....
(1)

You say you are her caregiver but do not mention if you are her POA or if you have guardianship. Even as POA you could not act against your Mom's wishes to provide for other family members, unless she was adjudged as having too much dementia to make her own decisions. Wishing you luck in this.
(1)

Do you have poa or guardianship of your mother so you can act on her behalf? If so according to the state of Georgia you can write a registered letter telling them to vacate the property. You can also file an eviction notice thru the courts. Another option is having the police remove them from the home as trespassers and cite them that they cannot trespass on the property again or face arrest. Another option is to have THEIR parents get them the heck out of there or you will take legal action. You have enough on your plate caring for your mom 24/7/365, the two of you do not need this added stress. They are taking advantage of 2 elder adults. Do they get abusive in any way towards you or mom? Elder abuse is a crime. Give them a choice, leave today and don't try to move back in or face the legal consequences their actions have brought about. It may be that all they need is for the police to show up and trespass them. Explain to officers that they were never given permission to move in, they are squatting in the home and you would like them to be removed. If you fear retaliation of some sort from them make that clear to the officers too. Change the door locks, have someone change the garage door code too if its equipped with an outside keypad. Keep an eye on mom's bank account and credit card bills and, account for all her unused checks. Don't forget to check her meds too,is it anything they would want to take or sell? Karen also had a great idea of getting a restraining order in place too. Try calling senior services in your area, they may have better contacts and suggestions to help you out. Family, gotta love em, um nope.😤
(0)

Do you live near your mom or close. I would start by letting everyone know that you have POA and that restraining orders will be set if it does not stop. Then I would get neighbors involved and see if they wouldn't step in too help. It got so bad at my moms house I moved her in with me just so my siblings would leave her alone
(2)

I'm new to this community. Are we allowed to swear? Because if so, I say kick them the f*** out.

I totally agree with Ahmijoy.
(4)

You say your mother has dementia and is hearing voices, etc. You say you are 100% responsible for everything for her. Do you monitor the bill-paying? If she is giving the free loading “house guests” money? If at any time she needs Medicaid, there will be a 5 year look back and she could be denied because of this. She is being taken advantage of and you are allowing it by not acting.

Do you have Power of Attorney? It may be too late to get it now if you don’t. At the least, if your mother is writing checks out, look them over before they’re mailed. If any checks are made out to the free loaders, rip them up. Make sure Mom has no large amounts of cash that she can give away. Change the locks on the doors. If Mom let’s someone move in, move them back out, onto the front lawn if necessary. If they protest, tell them you will call the authorities and report them for taking advantage of an impaired Senior Citizen.

If this is truly upsetting you, consider alternate placement for Mom. If she is hallucinating and going further along on her dementia journey, it may be time to consider this.
(8)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter