GP is against it, but relations with mds who will. Cardiovascular and lung MD against surgery saying she is a high risk, yet they can find doctors who will do surgery as a favor. No conservative methods were tried, no nerve tests were administered to ascertain any damage. The test was scheduled and later cancelled at urging of surgeon. They keep going from doctor to doctor and finally they have found takers, but because the one is in medicine they have an endless supply of referal sources. The specific surgery would alter ability to swallow voice and the swelling from general anesthesia would definitely increase swelling in the brain. This family member is getting this Healthcare against all common sense and symptoms.
Buy your family member a copy of 'Being Mortal' by Atul Gawande.
I would think the medical doctor truly wants to remedy the situation but ... stop at nothing and do not consider the age of the person in their care or the known life changes that come with aging. Regardless of the physical issues they order every test known to the medical community in order to get to the very bottom of it regardless if a solution is even viable once diagnosis is known.
When General anesthesia was mentioned plus moderate AD, confusion, more memory loss, they said it was worth it. And a feeding tube, foreign feeling in throat, neck brace, significant post op care... my thought is it she would survive the surgery but not the recovery. I think it would be very depressing for her. And with AD she would not understand that it was a temporary state.
Why? What positive outcome for the elderly lady is the FMIM hoping to achieve?
I think the situation here is one example of the conflict she feared. Her son might think that everything earthly possible should be tried, while a doctor not related might be able to be more objective and take a wait-and-see approach.
It is good to have a doctor in the family. He or she can explain the medical terms and help the whole family understand what is going on. But maybe it is not a good idea for him or her to make the decisions.
I'm not sure the reasoning but they have the surgery on fast track and she's already seen cardio and lung. Lung doctor said hi risk, No. The preliminary cardio work up said hi risk but they were going to do tests. That's when they switched doctors to another area where family may have influence.
Surgeon agreed to do it post clearance.
She is not in chronic pain. She may have discomfort due to one compression but a doctor met with and was willing to do some kind of pain injection/block.
That was immediately refused when the one who is driving the care found out.
She has osteopena as well.
It would have to be a near life or death decision wherein the benefits outweighed the risks for me to allow my near 94 year old mom to have spinal surgery