Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
1 2 3
Be your own best friend, Suzee. I know it sounds like a nutty unicorns-and-rainbows cliche. But it’s solid advice!

I am an only child. My sig other is one of six. I was conditioned by society to feel like I’m missing out on something. After I got to know his crew, pffffft. I’m the lucky one.
(5)

Yes, thanks mountain moose, et al. I also like the advice here to give it to God. That brings pretty immediate relief.
(3)

Many of us understand, suzeeQ. I think katiekay had a great explanation of detachment: limiting contact and lower expectations. I'd also add focus on yourself and your happiness and your job (whether caregiving, a paid job, etc.) at hand. I think of the term cognitive dissonance, whereby it's a confusing feeling to be taught one thing (like raised to be family oriented) and having to face another (like detaching). Give yourself some time and go easy on yourself.
(3)

Yes, that makes sense. I believe that cutting people off actually produces the opposite of the desired effect. In a way they become more important than just minimizing exposure and therefore their impact & importance in your life. It still hurts. I've been raised to be extremely family oriented. This is so counterintuitive to me.
(2)

Suzee.. for me, detachment would be to distance myself emotional and physically. I would lower my expectations of them, I would limit contact with them, I would focus on other relationships or make new ones. Don't let them be your central focus...especially if it involves resentment ,anger , hurt. (this is hard.. I am working on this).

I don't know if you have to completely cut them out of your life but allow yourself to detach so they aren't hurting you, disappointing you over and over. Its all about protecting yourself.
(5)

I suspect that a lot of families transform into something different when the patriarch passes away. I anticipate that with my family too. How could it not be effected? There are some that will stay close, call, visit, rely upon, but, I don't put too much faith in it. I know that a certain few will be there for me, but, other than that.......... I don't.

I'm not sure why something happened along the way with younger people and they don't seem to have much appreciation for the time, energy and resources that others put into their lives. It seems to mean nothing to them, so, they don't call to check on seniors, don't send or bring cards, gifts, flowers, food, etc. Nothing.....they just don't think about it. They are too focused on their self and the phone. I'm not kidding. I blame their parents who tolerated that kind of behavior as they were growing up. Now....it is what it is. I am cordial, but, stopped any expectations.

I hope that your family manages to withstand the loss of your father one day, but, that you will have solid, loving and kind relationships with those who you can depend on, whether they are blood relatives or family, that you create with friends.
(3)

THank you for the advice. Can someone illustrate the meaning of detachment, with examples? I need a script, so to speak, of how to get through this with my dignity in tact.
(1)

I'm sorry you are going through this SuzeeQ... it seems to be a frequent phenomena here on these forums. My parents have 4 living kids... but I am all they have now. My siblings began detaching from them (they once had a loving relationship with me and them) .. but they began detaching as soon as my Dad started to decline mentally .. about 6 years ago.

My 2 sisters never call or visit my parents or me and my brother only calls them every other month or so.. I have begged them for help or even emotional support as I watch my parents decline... but none of them have stepped up.

I used to be close with my younger sister and have tried having some kind of relationship with her outside my parents . I no longer ask or expect any help. Unfortunately, I think the guilt is there and she just cant bring herself to even have any kind of relationship with me.

My parents were good parents.. I was a good sister and daughter... but I am essentially without a family now.. ten years ago I would have never believed how they are acting towards us. It seemed they used to care.

The others are right though.. you have to find a way to live your life... try to focus on positive, happy and loving things. Anger and resentment don't hurt anyone but yourself .. and it is poison.

If it weren't for this forum I would think I was the only one in the world going through this. At least I know it does happen when parents decline and need care..it could bring a family together or it could tear it apart. It could really highlight who truly has compassion and who truly cares... and who does not. Hard times can bring out others true character.. good or bad.

I know it hurts... and I feel for you.

((hugs))
(10)

suzeeQ: I so hear you! I'm in the same boat though my family is very small. I'm Mom's live-in caregiver. I had hoped when I left my home to move in here that I'd have a closer relationship with my sisters. In the beginning it was great and I considered, when my home ever sells, of moving back permanently. Not anymore. They nitpick with a venom I don't understand. Almost never ask how I'm doing and try to be dictatorial. They've made this tough experience almost unbearable.

Here's how I'm coping: I've detached from them. I've accepted we'll never be a close family and frankly I never really liked them. (That's why it was so easy to leave the state when I graduated high school.) I tell them nothing of what I do in my spare time nor do I tell them how I'm doing. Any conversation is only about Mom.

And you know what? I'm calmer. I feel empowered and stronger. I am my own person and I keep her close and don't share her. When Mom passes and her house is for sale, I'll go back to my real "home" state that I love and will cultivate a family of my choosing.

Hugs to you and best wishes.
(9)

SQ My heart goes out to you. I am it for my Mom even though she has five other living children, 1 passed. But they have nothing to do with her, nor me. One son calls her every once in a while, but thats it. No visits. When my Dad died none called her or showed any compassion or love to her. People can be awful.I spent sevral years trying to figure out how to fix it, nothing worked i gave up. I gave it to God. I only feel so much sadness that the children that this woman sacrificed everything for in order to be a great mom to all of us, that they are so ungrateful and hateful. It hurts and is frustrating. Give it to God, you have enough on your plate too.
Best wishes.
(7)

SuzeeQ ... I don't know if your family has always been like this. But if this is changed behavior for them, have you tried to talk to them about it? (And yes, I'm fully aware that talk may be futile ... and that you have a better feel for that than we can possibly have.)

Like jeannegibbs, I also would have a nearly ideal experience dealing with my parents-in-law and their nuclear family, but that's ... IF .. my husband were not somewhat disabled as well, and ... IF ... my healthier sisters-in-law did not live many hundreds of miles away.

As it is, we cooperate very well during emergencies. We do get together when we can. But any conversation I try to have about my experience as a whole gets shut down Right Quick. I do respect that (see below for why), and have long since backed off of that topic.

These are deep issues involving their entire nuclear family-of-origin, and they're stuck dealing with them from afar. And they do what they can. One, in fact, is seriously trying to get a job in our area. She keeps us in the loop on that. I hope it works out, but at what cost to her? (She's a natural-born candidate for takeover-to-burnout.)

All of that is a roundabout way of saying that, even when families try to be functional, the facts are:

1) Everybody may be faced with vast miles of uncharted territory without a roadmap. (My parents-in-law never had to deal with anything like this -- but I know they both wish they'd had the chance. Which -- this *just* occurred to me -- may be one reason for the "thoughtlessness" that so many of us experience.)

2) Logistical issues can be overwhelming. Also, "outside" family may be anticipating additional long-term care needs for themselves and/or others at the same time. (Our generation is aging too, and, as noted above, my husband is already affected. Some of us face a long line of elders and ailments.)

3) Perhaps unconsciously, they may have some awareness that there is little-to-no societal support ... so there is much demand for caregivers to give up their lives wholly. Talk about daunting! Run Away!

In the short term, I hope we (as a society) can build better ways for families to come together -- which may free more of us to agitate for more societal support.
(4)

SuzeeQ, I respect the answers you've gotten from people with experience. I don't have that experience.

I'd like to just remind you and other members that this is about individual dysfunctional families. It is not about a generation. There have been dysfunctional families in all generations, in all countries, in all social conditions. Social media and forums like this expose them more.

I am sorry you got one of the bad ones. I hope detaching works for you.
(6)

Good night, all. So much kindness to respond to, but it is late where I am, and I am so tired, emotionally and otherwise. Thank you again for your kind words.
It makes a difference.
(4)

Thank you, Sue. I know from previous posts you've had your crosses to bear too. Oh, life is a funny thing, eh? Thank you everyone for your boost. I sure needed it tonight.
(3)

One thing's for certain SuzeeQ, people will disappoint you and let you down.
You can do SO much for some people but they wouldn't spit on you if you were on fire. (sorry, my dad used to say that a lot.)

You can't change others, you can only change yourself, they say. Because you can't change them doesn't mean that you have to "accept" them either. They sound very self absorbed and really, not your type. Since you would probably never choose them as friends, why have them around as family?

I would stop inviting them to your elaborate gatherings, as they have stopped inviting you. My husband is so darn worried how things "look" but I could care less what people think. Who are THEY? I've started telling him that I won't be going to any more of his family functions because his family is down right rude and I don't feel like faking a smile and trying to not have it bother me. I'll stay at home in my jimmies with a cup of coffee parked in front of the tube watching CSI.

You are the one who turned out RIGHT! I'm sure your dad is proud of you.

You have a great goal. Harboring bitterness is a road to nowhere. All it does is harm YOU.
"Well, they don't seem to want to come and they don't seem to want to invite us, so I'll let them go and not worry about it." Don't call or send gifts. It doesn't mean you don't care about them but you can't be drawn into their way of life.
It will get easier as time goes on. Don't give in to guilt. You'll be compromising yourself.
(11)

Thank you, polarbear. I think that's good advice. Without reciprocity, there is no relationship.
(9)

Hi suzeeQ. I am sorry that your extended family are unkind to you. But it is a bad reflection on them. You have opened your home and your heart to them but they did not appreciate or reciprocate. My suggestion is to stop invite them over for any party or spend any money on gift or anything on them. Instead, use that money on yourself, your children and your father. A one sided relationship is not worth having. Perhaps, this is one step toward detachment from them and their dysfunctional relationship.
(14)

You're absolutely right. I hadn't thought of it like that before. With the increase in life expectancy, this is a relatively new social issue. Lord help us all. I'm going to think of this every time I don't feel like going to the gym. What an incentive to stay healthy!! I don't want my kids going through this.
(4)

And parents generation, their parents usually passed much younger than they are now. Though I had a grandma live to 101, both grandpa's passed in their 60's other grandma in her 80's. This is largely a very new social problem that needs lots of work.
(7)

SueQ, you would think they would be grateful, but it is actually the opposite. We are able to do something they never would even think about. That is something to be proud of. And we are a constant reminder to them of their ineptness and a cause of the guilt they are feeling. It does not happen like this in some families. But, it happens at different degrees in many families. Unfortunately the father knows best families are nearly impossible to find. Hang in there, do not expect thanks or gratitude from them. Life is way too short. Do something good for you today and every day.
(10)

What the heck??! Why in the world does this happen? Life can be so unfair. They should be thanking the person spending time caring for a family member, instead they seem annoyed. How dare they?! I'm sorry about Christmas eve. That's very hurtful. I hope that I too will reach the stage of detachment. Detachment without bitterness is my goal. I know my parents generation didn't behave this way. I don't know how 1) they've become so uncaring 2) In this regard I'm more like someone born in the generation before mine
(6)

SueQ, me too. Often happens in dysfunctional families to the one that provides the day to day care. I did it for four long years until I decided I had enough of dysfunctional sibs and completely wacky ways. Even Christmas eve I was not invited. I decided I would rather have a few hours to myself then play the games pretending how happy and perfect life is. It isn't easy, for sure. But it does move to another place once I learned to completely detach. You will get there. It is not a reflection on you at all, it is them and the sick pleasure they get thinking they are hurting you. Don't let that happen.
(13)

1 2 3
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter