Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
1 2 3 4 5
GardenArtist,

Thanks for the welcome! This actually would be my first time attempting this furniture making idea, as since I moved to take care of my mother in her own home in Nicaragua I’m trying to find a way to make a living in a way that doesn’t interfere with my caring for her and doing something I love, and I LOVE anything design!!

It’s interesting how something good can come from anything we go through in life. See, before moving here I had an estate sale in my house selling most of my furniture and decor items, and it was very successful, everybody complimented my “eye” for decoration and style, which made me think that maybe I could take advantage of that and design furniture here! (There is beautiful and durable wood here and very talented people).

I’m an antiques lover, but by no means a connoisseur, just an eye for beauty I guess. My home used to combine beautiful antique pieces with more modern items. That’s where my love for interior design, and now furniture design come from!

Aside from that I love painting! although I haven’t done it in a very long while. I prefer oil painting and charcoal sketches, love portraits. Still a long way to go for my portraits though!

So I think it’d probably be appropriate a thread about “creative arts or creative minds” like Dorianne suggests! It’d be very refreshing hearing about what others with an artistic vein or just arts inclined are doing or thinking of doing. :)
(2)

Oh and I forgot my what I did for me comment! Derp.

I booked a massage therapy appointment for today that I really didn't NEED....but I wanted it. Lol. I probably go more than I actually need to, but it's my one "luxury" expense, so. :-P
(1)

So Rainmom, by gigantic tattoo project, do you mean one you're getting or one your giving? If getting, what are you having done?

@ Rosses and GardenArtist - I wouldn't mind an artists thread, but I haven't really done anything for a few years now, since I've been more focused on music, and then momcare. I did buy myself a new sketchbook and fresh graphite pencils a couple of weeks ago, but I'm ashamed to say I haven't even touched them yet. I also have a keyboard here to learn to play, and a guitar I should be practicing on! Lol. Maybe a "creative arts" thread would be nice? Maybe there are other musicians here, too. I could use a kick in the pants to get moving on any of these creative activities! :-)
(1)

No, Dorianne - no ornaments on the tree just yet but I do think the tree has settled. The tip is still a little crooked- had hoped it would stand straight eventually but instead I’m either gonna have to cut it a bit or try to disguise it with strategic angle placement.

Got up before dawn so I could shower while Rainman was still sleeping- as soon as his companion gets here to take him out I’m off - doing something for me! I’ve got a gigantic tattoo project in the works.
(2)

Rosses, welcome. It's always nice to meet another artist! Please tell us more about your furniture designs - are they modern, traditional, maybe even perhaps reproductions of classic styles?

Are they of wood, and if so, are you a woodworker? If so, you must be familiar with Norm Abram, a master carpenter who hosted the New Yankee Workshop, and Roy Underhill, also a master carpenter whether designated that or not. Underhill makes his own tools, doesn't use any electrical tools, and produces the most inspiring works of art. It tires me just to watch him chiseling or drilling by hand.

There are already some pencil artists here. Maybe we should start a separate thread for caregiving artists.
(2)

Dorianne this is a very uplifting thread that you initiated! Makes all of us remember that we too live and also helps us count our blessings.

I normally enjoy cooking, but today I didn’t make anything fancy, just good mashed potatoes, guacamole and beans from scratch (chicken already made). Gotta say I’ve became a much better “chef” since caring for my mom. I get this happy feeling when my creativity is released in any way!!

Also sat on the couch sketching furniture I want to have made here to hopefully sell!! 
See, I’m new to this country and finding a job here is a nightmare, so why not dream and even try to use my creativity and interior design “gift” to see if my 👁 for beauty and taste is liked here in Nicaragua? It’d be a great way to make a living while caring for my mother!

And went to local folkloric market for about half hour. I just needed measuring tape, but I always love to look at the colorful things they make...and the PURSES!!! OMG, if any of you ladies could see (there should be a way to post pics here!) the purses made here..pure wonderful leather (sorry, I love animals, but they’re just gorgeous!) you probably could not resist. When I lived in the US I used to buy those purses and I have a decent collection. Now I just purse-window-shop, but it makes me 😊!

Lastly, watched half hour of The Voice, I’m probably behind the US so please don’t tell me who wins if you know!  really enjoyed it!!
(1)

Lol, Llamalover! Yes, there has been some of that here. Mom sneaks her soiled things into the washer without telling me. Then I open up the door and get a whiff...WHOOO!

So is the tree all rested, Rainmom? Are you decorating it yet?

Today after I dropped mom off at dialysis, I decided to abandon the errand-running and take a long drive (alone) around the countryside. To heck with it! I love driving, especially through the grasslands and forests. LOVE. Needed it.
(3)

Dorianne: Good for you! Even after my mother was wearing underpants with padding in them, she was waiting too long to get to the toilet. Then I would see her underpants handwashed out and drying on the towel rack, I asked "what's up with that?" Her response="Oh, nothing."
(1)

Today hubby and I went out to lunch - a big Caesar salad and mini “personal pizza”. Followed up with a Starbucks Eggnog Latte - by way of their drive-thru as the next stop was our traditional Christmas tree lot - where hubby trailed behind me as a walked the rows looking for “the one”. Found a nice, tall Noble Fir.

We took that bad boy home - got it in the stand and gave it plenty to drink. I don’t know if there’s anything to this - my theory- but I always wait a day or two to start decorating the tree as it seems to me that the branches settle a bit once it’s indoors and in the stand.

All in all - a pretty nice day.
(4)

Lol, Llamalover, I just downed the first glass!

Mom and I had the "It's time for Depends" talk tonight.
(0)

Dorianne: Oh joy, NOT! Get that glass of wine! You deserve it!
(1)

Oh yes - what am I doing for myself today. I thought I would get a break this afternoon while mom is at dialysis. But I came home and discovered she pooped on the sofa, and now I'm trying to clean it. (Just having a break.)

SOOOO....I think I am going to let home support take over when they come at dinnertime and....I do believe it's a glass of wine kind of day.
(0)

@GardenArtist - my stepgramma taught me to knit when I was a teenager, but then I moved in with my dad and I never learned how to finish! I ended up with an 8-foot scarf hanging off a knitting needle! Lol.

I have a lovely, gigantic PURPLE afghan that she crocheted with the granny squares - it was for her and her 1st husband's bedroom (she and grandad were both widowers). It's SOOOO purple. Like royal purple. And she says it matched the carpet!! I can't imagine that!

BFF crochets. She's promised to teach me. I want to make those crocheted bath puffs, so I am not always buying plastic ones that are bad for the environment.

Is the mint or the orange your favourite aromatherapy scent? Or something else? I am very fond of sandalwood but the oil is SUPER expensive, compared to the others! I also love jasmine, but it's got to be really good quality or it smells a bit like pee, lol!
(0)

Dorianne, yes, London Fog is an old, reputable company. I don't know if it still manufactures clothes, but now that I know it's still around, I'm going to check.

I knit and crochet. The afghans were crocheted in different Granny Square patterns (which I really like b/c they're so quick and so versatile). I knitted sweaters and some pillow covers, usually in cable patterns.

When I was teaching Adult Ed back in the mid 1990, one of my crochet students was so enthusiastic that she chose patterns well beyond those of most beginners. So I worked the pattern she chose ahead of her so I could help with any problems (many patterns have mistakes that aren't caught before publication).

That was when I began experimenting and creating my own patterns. That was REALLY a lot of fun!

Are you a knitter or crocheter? It was so relaxing; I need to do more of it.

Handmade soaps - now they're a real treat. A former herbal supplier used to give samples with orders, but I never could use them for anything other than aromatherapy. I just wanted to save them! Her Mountain Mint soap was wonderful; I still have it and take a quick sniff every now and then when I need a "pick-me-up".

Her lip balms were great too. I bought one with Orange scent and another in Chocolate Mint. I considered them not only aromatherapy but mental therapy as well.
(1)

@GardenArtist - I remember London Fog from WAY back! I think they have been around for a long time, hey? I think my grandad had a raincoat he was very proud of.

I do love a heavy afghan though! Do you knit or crochet?

Today I took myself and Bruce off to BFF's house for a few hours, for a break from mom. We laid on the floor and played with animals, ate potato chips and pepperoni sticks, and looked at handmade soaps online (wishing for smell-o-vision).
(0)

I've just bought something which Dad liked just when I put it around him. It's a fleece throw, by London Fog (I think they were the manufacturers of the trench coats that were popular a few decades ago).

On sale for a good price, I bought one in snowy white and another in a Scandinavian style red and white snowflake pattern. The fleece is so soft, and I think that softness is part of the appeal. I made a lot of quilts and afghans years ago, and they're warm, but often heavy. This fleece throw is warm but lightweight.
(2)

I........took over the television before my mother got up today, and had a Doctor Who marathon!

A little petty victory for me in the TV war. :-P
(1)

Oh I've never used an electric blanket but I bet it's cozy! One of the things I did bring over to mom's is my little heating pad, but it's more like an electric blanket for a Barbie, lol.

I have a massage therapy appointment this afternoon while mom's at dialysis. I rescheduled it from Monday when I was sick. Usually I go for pain issues, but I have been "resting" so much I'm not sure I REALLY need it....but I'm going anyway! :-P
(0)

I don’t use one any more - but when I did - LOVED preheating the bed on cold nights via the electric blanket.

I started my day doing something nice for myself- slept in an extra 90 minuets. 💤
(1)

Last night I decided to stop trying to be tough and pulled mom's electric blanket out of the closet and put it on my bed. Ahhhh :)
(1)

Happy Thanksgiving, my friends!

Took my mother to buy a microwave today, but splurged on my favorite slushy.
(1)

Matthew Crawley is absolutely delicious!

Edit: congratulations on working your mum out. Happy moments for you and her now 😊
(1)

Well, after yesterday's blow up - mom and I had a talk last night about "non-negotiables" (like hygiene, going to dialysis, etc.). And whether she remembers or not, I think I figured out why mom was acting out, at least partly. I've been spending less time with her since I set up the box room office, and also started working on my little business project with my friend. Gulp. I mean, I started working on both these things because I needed something for myself, but I just kind of leapt on them full throttle, and maybe became a neglectful "parent" to my little dementia "toddler." This is all a pretty steep learning curve.

So I made mom a coffee when I woke her up today for our meeting with the renal team. Afterwards, I took her for "baby doughnuts," as she calls Timbits. Came home, made her some tea and snacks, and watched a couple of Disney movies with her while I set up a big holiday decoration. Then said I was going into my office to work on my project, and she was all fine and happy.

Being willing to learn from your mistakes with your family is part of doing something nice for yourself, right?

I just realized tonight that the "Beast" in the live action Beauty and the Beast is Matthew Crawley from Downton Abbey! (Speaking of adorable men.  I didn't recognize him till he smiled near the end.)  This is the second time we've watched it, too. So we'll have to watch it again, now that we know. Mom LOVES Downton. I've already watched it all once with her, but she's been through it 3x now. By request, I just started up her 4th viewing before I came in here for my "me time," lol.
(2)

Got mom her breakfast and lunch, she always takes a nap then, so we went out and had Thanksgiving dinner. It was delightful. Took the remainder home and when mom got up we made her a plate and she ate every bite and then after a while she went to bed. Easy day.
(2)

Your American traditions sound really yummy
(2)

Happy Thanksgiving, all my American friends! I am thankful for YOU! :-D
(1)

From what I gathered on my investigative google search - is they claim a higher heat and shorter cooking time makes a juicier turkey with a crisp skin. Kinda makes sense but also kinda doesn’t. 

I know that’s how it works with roasts - a high heat but only in the beginning- is suppose to “shock” the meat which somehow makes it retain its juices. Similar to searing in a pan prior to the oven, I guess. I have had good success with my roast - doing that. 

However- I bought an organic turkey this year - all the stuff I’m stuffing is also organic. Needless to say - this bird has become a small investment. One of which, I decided I’m not willing to waste by trying something new - perhaps merely ending up with a dry turkey or perhaps burning it to a crisp - which no amount of gravy can fix!

I never did find the recipe I wanted - but feel confident enough in my cooking skills that I’m gonna wing it. Haha - get it - WING it!

Anyhoo - stuffing in an orange - quartered, a lemon - halved, a small yellow onion- halved, garlic - vacillating between 1/2 a head or just a bunch of cloves of garlic, a sprig or two each fresh sage, thyme and rosemary. Probably some fresh ground pepper. I never salt my meat while cooking - except when I make a roast or leg of lamb with a salt herb crust - which is a whole different type of deal. Adding some chicken broth to the roasting pan to help with basting. But I’m not big on basting - every time you open the door the average oven looses 25 degrees. How’s that for a fun fact?!!
I do have a Golden delish apple and some celery on standby in case I go in a different direction but for now it’s a citrusy-herb kind of endeavor. 
Okay - I’m babbling now. Sorry!

Everyone have a fabulous Thanksgiving!
(2)

@GardenArtist - I am afraid I just pretty much gulped down that glass of wine. It's been that kind of a day! And I actually just got to the wine now. But I am starting to feel the residual warmth in my body. I might do a rare thing and have another glass, one I can enjoy!

I actually didn't know I liked red wine till I was in my 40s! I have never been much of a drinker. I do have a weakness for pear cider, though, now that you mention cider. I don't know what it is, but I always think it's like pear champagne! Pears themselves are pretty amazing though, when you get them at JUST the right level of ripeness. If pears were more reliable, I'd probably live on them.  ;-)

Pouring the second glass. What the hell. It's a Two Glass Day.
(1)

Dorianne, way to go with hiding and sipping! I like warm cider as well; it's always evocative of balmy fall seasons, leaves drifting gracefully down to the ground for their winter sojourn, temperatures chilling down and seguing into colder times when the warmth and sweetness of cider is so comforting.

And it reminds me of years ago when I visited Greenfield Village for a Winter event. I've been there several times and always loved it, but that was specifically in the evening, with old time lamp posts lit up for the season. Decorations were all period decorations, simple, lovely but with no masses of light strings strobing into various color schemes.

Accompanied by a slightly chilly evening, the excitement of strolling through old buildings and almost re-enacting a stroll as it might have been a 100 plus years ago was the treat of fragrantly scented warm cider at the end of the tour.

It was an appropriate time to relax and warm up before getting back into our 20th (at that time) transportation and driving home with a nice automotive heater keeping us warm.
(1)

@GardenArtist - no hijack at all! I wasn't sure how to do a proper welcome, especially being a noob here myself! And yes, welcome to all the new posters in this thread! I think I kinda stole the idea from a friend of mine who is a foster parent to troubled teens: at dinner time, every night, she has everyone go around the table and say 3 positive things about their day. :-)

My good thing....well, I had a fight with mom trying to get her moving this morning, where she said some nasty things that she's probably already forgotten. So after I dropped her at dialysis, I picked up my BFF for some quick shopping, and we wound up having a long "therapy session" about our moms, sitting in the car in the parking lot of Safeway!

I might post about the spat elsewhere in the forum later, when I have a bit of time to figure out where to post it, but it was probably good to get it out before I have to pick mom up again.

Home support will be here around dinner time, and I think when they come, I am just gonna hide in my box room/office and have a nice glass of red wine!!!
(0)

1 2 3 4 5
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter