Follow

I was thinking about posting this morning. How we are all fighting to be able to do nice, positive, and/or future-minded things for ourselves in amongst the chaos of looking after our aging family members.

Did you get to take a walk all by yourself today? Did you find a half an hour to enjoy a cup of coffee without interruption? Did you lock the bathroom door and have a bubble bath and a face mask? Did you finally finish a good book? Did you sign up for a night class that gets you out of the house? Did you go for a swim at the local indoor pool? Are you dreaming up a new home-based business at the kitchen table?

These moments seem so hard won, I think we deserve to celebrate them! I'd love to hear from you!

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
1 2 3 4 5
I was thinking about this after yesterday afternoon, when I took some time out with one of my dearest friends and we went shopping while mom was at dialysis. I bought myself a new sketchbook and some pencils. Then we came back here and she helped me apply one of those vinyl "stained glass" clings to the glass door of the back room, which is now my new "office" (i.e.: private space). And when I say "helped," I mean she did most of the work, lol! It was lovely to spend time with my friend, and to make my work space more private (the purpose of the "stained glass"), and to have a brand new sketchbook to inspire me. I went to bed feeling positive and woke up the same way!
(9)

I had chocolate ice cream for dinner (:

I did have a little healthy something beforehand

And I spent the last hour reading things on here. I need to sleep so much but it's nice reading
(9)

I'm no longer a caregiver (my mom died in August) but DH and I got our flu shots yesterday!
(5)

Well, here I go off topic. Dorianne, are you a colored pencil artist? I met a group of CP artists when I went to the infusion center where my sister got her chemo and spent some time in the "classes", which really were a small handful of people who got together and colored.

I learned so much (whoever knew there was a brush to gently clean the drawing?). I used to work in pastels (easy but messy) and oils (a real challenge for me) but decided I like colored pencils the best. I bought the whole kit one day at Michael's - the $120 set!!

Since then I've expanded, creating a few designs from garden photos, and still find it to be one of the most relaxing pasttimes ever.

Back to the topic, I'd spend another 1/2 hour writing, so I'll save it for tonight! (What I'm going to try to work out is a holiday design for my father's living room, kitchen, porch and lampposts. I've done this in the past but never got around to actually putting up the decorations, in part b/c there's not that much space and there are fall issues. )
(6)

GA, have you thought about doing the design as a larger drawing, but not putting up things since you have fall risk? Ikea sells a wire that runs between two decorative nails and has fancy clips to hang pictures, artwork etc. I have a client who uses his to hang various projects for display and rotates them out.
I talked husband into going to see Justice League movie last night at one of the theaters with recline seats and menu. Aquaman is definitely not a dweeb any more - Jason Momoa and his bare chest. Rowr. And hubs got to smile at Wonder Woman and various amazons in leather bikinis. Do something for you today. Now I'm taking friend and her 90 year mom to grocery store this PM.....
(2)

These things are all awesome, you guys!

I have to get mom to dialysis shortly, but I'll come back and comment more a bit later when I'm freed up....

@GardenArtist, funny you should say coloured pencil! I definitely have to comment more on that! :-)
(1)

I borrowed my neighbour's ladder and cleaned my eavestroughs. This may not sound like something for me, but given that I am ladder phobic I'm feeling rather proud of myself.
(12)

@GardenArtist - I haven't done much art at all in the last 4 years - lost my stepmom to cancer, then was working 2 jobs to buy a vehicle and some music gear, then I started caregiving for my mom. But I don't think I ever stopped working with coloured pencils from when I was a kid! I just have better and more expensive ones now, lol. Some of the good quality ones (I'm thinking of Derwent and Prismacolor Artist's) have lasted me a couple of decades; they are worth the money. Have you tried blending or smearing them with mineral spirits and a q-tip yet? That is one of my favourite methods of making them more "painterly." I also like mixing media - I've done a lot of mixed pieces with coloured pencil, watercolour, and ink. I do love pastels and I don't mind the mess, but I'm not very "free," if you know what I mean. I get sucked into details and precise edges! I did try making my own (chalk) pastels once, though, to make custom colours - that was fun! Do you mean oil paint or oil pastels? I've done some pieces with oil pastels, but the paint and I don't get along well!

I actually bought only a few graphite pencils this time, because mine were all stubby! And some blending stumps. I thought I'd dip my toes back in gently. I do have my coloured pencils here though, and I got an amazing deal on a new set of 60 from Amazon - I thought mom might get interested in adult colouring books, but she didn't. (I did pick her up a little sketchbook and some pencils too, though, just in case it piques her interest....she IS the one who taught me how to draw!)
(1)

@Guestshopadmin - I can't wait to see Jason Momoa as Aquaman! Rowr, indeed!  And I ADORE Wonder Woman, have since I was about five!! I felt like I waited a hundred years for the WW movie. Saw it twice in the theatre.....took my mom the 2nd time. She read the comics as a kid, too, and literally DID wait 75 years for the movie!
(3)

@Lonelysolonely - chocolate ice cream counts as a dairy serving! In my world, lol.

@BarbBrooklyn - good for you for getting it done! I keep procrastinating.

@cwillie - working on overcoming fears totally counts!
(4)

Jason Momoa - YUM! He could spank me and make me write bad checks.

6’4” and 235lbs of pure eye candy. 

He’s definitely something I’d like to do for myself!  So naughty- sorry!
(8)

I intend to get out and see the new movie WONDER, as it sounds like a very inspirational movie, and quite a tear jerker too!
We all need a little inspiration, and more compassion in our lives, and it's good to reset our appreciation of what other have to endure in life.

Caregiving is such hard work, but when it's a child, suffering from bullying from a disease they cannot prevent, it definitely pulls on your heart strings, and makes you rethink how you can have compassion for others, and make changes for the better in our own lives.
(3)

I went to work today on my day off, for double time!! Putting that toward the puppy we are getting to pick up Wed, and it will cover her price and the vet bills for her first visit,, yeah me!! And even though we were still short staffed I had a great day, and I know my patients were taken care of in a better manner than if I had not gone in!
(4)

@Rainmom - Don't apologize for naughtiness! I think naughty times are part of self-care, aren't they? ;-)

Also I'm a little jealous of Lisa Bonet's ability to get some of the hottest men in the world. First Lenny Kravitz, then Jason Momoa....like, write a book, lady! Tell us your secret!
(1)

@stacyb - I haven't been to a movie since Wonder Woman. Let us know how this one is!

@pamzimmrrt - Woohoo for the puppy! I bet it feels good to put in extra time knowing the money is going towards something awesome like that.
(1)

I'm afraid I started getting sick yesterday so I haven't really done anything for myself...except lie in bed all day. Mom seems to be pulling one of her all-day sleep-a-thons, so it's working out so far. (She is usually very exhausted after the week of dialysis.)

One thing I did do for myself this week was join up with a friend in brainstorming a little home-based business idea that might bring us a bit of extra cash, and would still let us look after our moms. We even took an afternoon to go "spying" on local stores to see what's they're selling, or not selling. We are starting very small with a holiday product, which we'll sell through a friend's store. But I've been able to source wholesale ingredients right here in Canada that would let us, possibly, make products that are organic, cruelty-free, ethically-sourced, locally-made, etc. We are both science nerds and concerned about the future of the planet, so doing something like this seems right on time.

I'm on this HUGE learning curve right now, which I am enjoying tremendously. And it's also nice to be able to think about the future a little bit, because honestly, up until now most of my thoughts about the future have centered on AFTER my caregiving duties are done, if you know what I mean. And I don't want to have to think that way!
(3)

pamzimmrrt - what type of puppy are you getting? I’m a dog person - three fur babies of my own.

Hmmm... Jason Momoa shirtless - holding a puppy...
(2)

Dorianne- I’m sure it doesn’t hurt that Lisa Bonnet is exotic, beautiful and the ultimate in hip and cool. All that and hot hubby(s) too. Some girls have all the luck!
(1)

Well, I'm really showing my age. I couldn't even begin to think who Jason Momoa is until I googled him and learned he was in Stargate Atlantis; that photo helped me remember.

Any other old gals here? Back in "the day" Sean Connery, Paul Newman and others were the heartthrobs. It's amusing how life changes from one decade and one generation to the next.

And back to the original topic, my mind has been churning with ideas but they're all tangled up and I can't get them straightened out.

I did leisurely peruse another Christmas magazine last night and easily became mentally whisked off to a land of beautiful holiday fabrics, clever and lovely decorations, and eventually to thoughts of tramping through conifer forests searching for cones to use in wreaths, enjoying the wonderful respite of that fresh scent that's found only in areas filled with evergreens.

But winter is not far away -- it snowed here for about 5 minutes. Not much, but it's a start. I'm anxious for the first blizzard, when the kitchen will be filled with the fragrance of tempting delights from the oven.
(3)

GA - Jason Momoa was also in the tv series Game of Thrones, which is a gigantic phenomenon currently. I tried watching it but didn’t even make it through the first season. I don’t get it... the huge allure. Anyhoo-

Nothing wrong with
Paul Newman and Sean Connery. Especially, Paul Newman- his devotion to his wife all those years and his dedication to helping the world through his charities make him as sexy as it gets in my book. Those baby-blues didn’t hurt either!

Enjoy your pine cone hunt. I have such admiration for people who are creative and crafty. I get ideas in my mind but on implementation- my projects look like something a 12yr old Brownie would get excommunicated from the troop for.
(3)

GA, snow is blowing in off the lake today, you are more than welcome to come and get some... aw heck, take it all. 😒
(3)

Oy, went to the dentist for the first time in over a year today. Two cavities and gum problems.
(5)

@GardenArtist & Rainmom - Paul Newman was definitely a heartthrob I appreciate! And yeah, for sure there is something I find extra crush-worthy about guys who are devoted to their spouses, especially in celeb-land.

@cwillie - What part of the world are you from? I'm in BC, Canada but our first snowfall in my town lasted a week and it's all gone.

@BarbBrooklyn - Well, good for you for finding time to go, and just in time to get on those problems, maybe!

I am still sick. This stupid cough!!!! Mom has been sleeping again today, so I took a 3 hour nap. Napping and kitten-snuggling - I guess that's all I've really done for myself today!
(1)

Dorianne I'm in SW Ontario, the second wussiest part of Canada when it comes to winter (after coastal BC of course). I've been checking the forecast and they say everything here should melt tomorrow, so GA had better hurry across the bluewater bridge soon if she wants to get some.😄
(2)

rainmom,, we are getting a Chug,, a mix of pug and Chihuahua. We already share custody of an adorable Chihuahua with our daughter, and mom loves that dog! The Chug will be a bit bigger (bella is 5 lbs, and these are 10 - 12) We got the "runt" so we are hoping she will stay smaller, and be company for Mom. I wanted to name her Karma,, but no one else seems to like it.. so Chloe is next in line..LOL I figure she will pick her own name once she settles in. We get her Wed.
(2)

Looking for my winter boots, gear, and thinking what I should bring to dash up to Port Huron and get across the bridge to see CWillie's snow.

But, alas, we had more snow here, soft, gently falling and slowly changing the landscape. Winter has arrived! And so has the cold.

Now, the dilemma - hot chocolate or hot cider tonight to keep me warm?

Or maybe just more posts on the old "heartthrobs" as we used to call them?
(2)

@cwillie - I am in the interior....we are scheduled for some flurries tonight, but it's too warm for it to last. What kind of Canadians are we that we can't share snow with our American friends? ;-)

@GardenArtist - I vote hot chocolate! I don't know if he was a heartthrob, but I've always had a little crush on Stewart Granger....I think maybe after watching Prisoner of Zenda as a kid. Lol!

@pamzimmrrt - I had to google a Chug because I could NOT visualize what that combo might look like! Sounds adorable!
(2)

They are adorable!! And the adults at the breeder bark a lot,, but so does our Chihuahua!
(2)

Chugs sounds like an interesting mix with good potential for maximum cuteness. Pugs crack me up - they always look so worried.

And speaking of looks - as old time heartthrob go - Cary Grant and Tyrone Powers! But for me it just doesn’t get any better than Robert Redford circa Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid and The Way We Were. They just don’t make ‘um like they use to - but George Clooney does come close.

Just rolling all these great looking men around in my head has seemed like doing g something nice for myself today.

Now - off to find the recipe I used the last time I actually cooked a thanksgiving dinner - back in my pre-caregiver days - 1000 years ago, it feels like. This is the first holiday I’ve looked forward to - and had any enthusiasm for in even a longer time. Now - if I can just find the recipe! It involves stuffing the turkey with apples and oranges... nothing I’ve found on line has been exactly right.
(1)

Add Gregory Peck to the list. Some of those men had charisma in their acting, that old model of strong and silent, so much more so than some of the actors today. That was part of their charm.

RainMom, if you find that stuffing recipe, would you mind sharing it? I've been thinking about a creamy fruit salad in whipped cream (I think) that I had at Win Schulers back in the 1960s. Found a few recipes so I'll start experimenting.
(2)

1 2 3 4 5
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter