Follow

The site is caregiver.org

Please read this article which describes emotions felt by caregivers.

Donna Schempp, LCSW does a wonderful job of describing emotions felt by caregivers.

She also adds coping skills to help caregivers deal with these emotions.

The name of the article is, Emotional Side of Caregiving

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
I encourage you to please read the entire article for yourself.

I wish that I would have been more prepared in my earlier days of caregiving.

This article would have helped me tremendously.

I hope that it will help you or if you are through with your caregiver days, you could pass on the information to others as needed.

Donna Schempp, LCSW

Emotional Side of Caregiving

If only we were perfect we would not feel...

Ambivalence

Anger

Anxiety

Boredom

Crankiness, Irritability

Depression/Sadness

Disgust

Embarrassment

Fear

Frustration

Grief

Guilt

Impatience

Jealousy

Lack of
Appreciation

Loneliness

Resentment

Tiredness

I really feel this social worker has covered all of emotions felt by caregivers.

Her descriptions are accurate and her coping skills are useful.

I certainly felt these emotions during my caregiver days!

Please understand that I have typed the emotions that the LCSW describes. She does list ‘guilt’ and ‘grief.’ I know that some of you don’t like using the word ‘guilt.’ Please read the article. Both terms are applicable.
(1)

It's a pretty comprehensive article, I like it. Who, as a caregiver, especially a dementia caregiver, hasn't experienced many of these emotions. Sadly, I didn't become educated in the caregiving process until my wife died- no one suggested any outlets or resources for me because no one knew. I didn't know how to handle my emotions. The words Grief, Guilt, and Regret are all emotions people feel, and although the feelings might not be appropriate, they nevertheless exist. Guilt, for having done something or not having done something, and it's lesser cousin Regret, are both, I feel, wasted energy. They both refer to something in the past that can not be changed. Grief, however, refers to the present or future and can be addressed. It's a normal and inescapable emotion. I wish she would have defined regret relative to guilt.
(3)

Gacy,

Thanks for reading it. I liked the article a lot as well. I especially liked how she included coping skills.

I had the same experience as you. I wasn’t prepared at all and felt blindsided by so many of the emotions that she identified in this article.

I agree with you that ‘regret’ is another emotion that we experience.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences. We can all learn from each other.
(1)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter