Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
3 4 5 6 7
You realize your middle name is BoB - Hee - ducks and runs away! :0)

Seriously, loooove Alice Cooper. I'm jealous!
(2)

I didn't mean to scare everyone away! I know it's Alison Bo Balison. :) Guess I got a little carried away at the mention of Alice Cooper.

Accomplishment today - made it to the caregiver's support group, meets monthly at my mom's place though not to her knowledge. Dang! I always think I'm sneaking around there though I know better. Mom doesn't leave her room after 2 pm. Never going to run into her downstairs but it still feels like I'm sneaking out the window when I was 16. I'm always hoping I'll catch HER out and about and socializing. She'd be soooo busted! LOL And I'd love it that she was out and about!

We talked a lot about boundaries and my goal for us to have four days off in a row (!) this summer. Got some good ideas about things I need to work on to give my little family a break and actually go somewhere. Baby steps but they were good ones.
(2)

ALICE , ALICE , ALICE. lol
we may not go. a headbanging group is going to be there who doesnt appeal to either of us. bummer. im in the market for a genuine friend. had to discard one or two who turned their backs in my time of need. i have one female friend ( not romantically involved ) who would go to h*** for me and me for her. its security in an uncaring world. id love to have another.
not a real remarkable day today. got a job lined up, fixed the taillighting on my small truck and made it to eye doc with edna at 3;30 pm. doc said only one eye had declined and he could flat hook her up. swore shed be running at 20 - 30 vision. remarkable for 89 yrs old. you cant give an elder the health of a teen but you can make their last yrs , months , weeks as pleasant as possible. they deserve it.
yesterday edna shoveled gravel. its what she wanted to do and dammit its her life and noone should tell her any different. old , not stupid or helpless..
gentleman or no , ali wants to wear leather to protect herself from teeth prints in her ass. im sweet but im still a ( ass ) man.. lol
(3)

windy, if you and i ever met, bring BoB. im not threatened by an inanimate object..
lolol
(1)

I spaced the joke, windy, and it isn't even the first time someone has said that to me. Guess I got so much else on the brain lately. Got my dad back today after a couple weeks of sweet, peaceful absence. That's a FAIL, lol, just kidding.

My accomplishment was getting several weeks to focus on me entirely and not have to answer the repetitive, random questions that do come at me all day when he is here. Sigh. It can't be easy getting old. But my dad was ALWAYS a bit on the crazy/kooky side, so I still don't know what to attribute his weird ways to. :-)

Any way you slice it, he's back and he's again my responsibility. The doctor's appointments start this Friday… hope there isn't more than a couple needed to get him back on track with his ongoing medical issues.
(0)

windy, check out an alice tune " pick up the bones " . its about the ethnic cleansing in bosnia. kick it up a bit -- typical clean , sharp, alice..
(0)

I understand things on the brain. Hope it goes well, ABB, with getting your dad back under your wing. It has to be hard to get back into it. Like Groundhog day. Hope all goes well on Friday. Keep us posted.

Glad you got some time to yourself. That had to be a blessing! We all need a respite from the crazy train. It's awful hard to hop back on board. I can appreciate that.

Who knows where kooky stuff comes from? At least we get to laugh. :)
(1)

captain, my fave AC song is 'only women bleed'. I almost died to that song while being trapped underwater while tubing behind a boat. When I could hear it again after that experience, I knew I was alive. The couple of minutes being dragged at high speed were surreal. Loud music, huge tractor tube, too many people and ahem, a few adult beverages for a non-adult.

Glad to be here today.
(3)

alice was booed a little last time he done " only women bleed " at verizon. i love me some hoosiers but the dummies didnt quite realize the song was about the plight of mistreated women.
(1)

Captain it is good you let Edna do some thing productive -people are always telling her what not to do as if she were a child. Good friends make this life worthwhile-I am so glad to have my honey-it is almost a year since we have been dating-we did go to high school together but only knew each other by name in those days I just wanted to get out of school and into the real world-who knew it would be so difficult-now 55 yrs. later I am really happy. Yesterday I did cooking and cleaning today it will be bills and going to my son's for the furnace repairman then my honey will come over in the evening -still cold here and lots of snow around.
(1)

Something wonderful is happening. My terrific friend Michelle since 7th grade has invited me and my mom to fly to Washington state for a much needed pump of hugs and probably CHOCOLATE (dark) after five years of cleaning poopie underwear and picking my husband off the floor when he got his head stuck between the toilet and handicapped shower! MOM has been sliding, memory failing, falling down,, etc. Michelle and I were the friends who finished each other's' sentences and her mother, the doctor, is paralyzed. MOM and Virginia can share all the missed years and boost each other. CANNOT believe it is going to happen. Someone is going to stay with my husband, help him remember meds, help feed all the animals, etc.. I AM GOING TO INSIST THAT THEY DO THIS. I DESERVE IT, D*** IT.
(5)

hope you have a blast cindy. mother , edna , son jake , and myself flew to az 7 years ago to see my g-baby. the women had never flown , nor had jake. we had a nice time , jake and i got riteously hammered on the jet. edna doesnt remember the trip at present. there are gaps in her memory. she doesnt remember ever riding my bigger trike either but the reality is weve ridden for as much as 4 hours at times. my current customer thinks i should be hacking at the earth with a brick hammer and laying dry stack stone today -- at 8 degrees. cant do it , the fill sand would freeze on the truck..
(2)

lol. on the jet at a point they stopped serving booze. on a restroom trip i asked a stewerdess if more booze were available. she said id been tapered off. i told her " thats fine but im being awfully well behaved " . she said " by golly you are indeed, what do you want? "
4 more minis of bacardi. lol . they sneaked then to us as the booze really had been cut off for everyone.. good memories. of course i had to come home and sketch a cartoon of our jet -- being in flight refueled from a bacardi tanker.
an even funnier cartoon was one of me telling a ticket counter girl that them 2 old gals made me what i am -- a fuzzy faced f*****g weirdo. lol..
(2)

not a bad day. got kaiser logo and email address decaled on my small truck doors, hauled one load of rock, got my concert tickets , had dinner with edna and brought a new battery home for the big truck. tomorrow ill haul the mother load of driveway stone.. bout 3-1/2 tons . still too cold to work for another couple days..
(1)

We went out to lunch with my boyfriends' cousins -two of them lived near me where I grew up-they have accepted me in to the fold nicely -we go out to lunch every couple of months-it is very nice most families let themselves drift apart I tis so cold and another snow storm is expected starting Sunday into Tue-this winter has been so bad. I did get bills paid and worked on my budget . Tomorrow will take the meat off the chicken and freeze some of it and make some into a casserole an bake some cookies and do some cleaning. Hope everyone as a good night or day depending where you live.
(2)

fine day. scooped up a buddy and we hauled 3 ea 2-1/2 ton loads of stone for the renters top end. the renter is paying for the stone , the friends labor is deductible as is the stone and fuel to haul it. got done in time to take edna to suckway, hor betsy paid me the 3 bills she owed me and work is a go tomorrow. then the weather turns to hate again.
im telling you caregivers when your carer responsibilities have ended youll get your mental capacity back and possibly be more effective at getting s**t done than ever before. got home and have email -- ednas new glasses are ready.
lol. ive done destroyed the bed on the small truck hauling firewood stacked to the sky. gotta shift the commercial truck bed im building to a higher place on my priority list. i need to be able to hurl a hunk of granite on the truck from 15 feet away. gmc wasnt looking at that extreme of eventuality..
(1)

I accomplished what I planned to do today and solved a problem with my computer without much help from Comcast -they said they could not help me and then after I was able to get into my email-which was the problem-there was an email saying a repairman would be at my house tomorrow -how was I suppose to read an email when the problem was I could not access the email. I called Comcast and told them how inefficient their tech support was besides being rude and unable to speak English properly .
(2)

I suppose I did accomplish figuring out next step in father's medical care. I've been down this road before, maybe this will be last time, maybe it won't be. But after lengthy discussion with his PC physician, I understand where I need to steer his medical care from here.

Austin, I have the same issue with tech support for just about every company that HAS a tech support department. Not super fluent in English, hard to understand, they stick to protocol like its the Bible and are largely ineffective to help you deal with the problem. Such is modern life. I'm glad you were able to sort out your issue.
(0)

Goodness, Austin, did you?! - call an ISP and tell them they were useless, I mean. That was a waste of breath, wasn't it?

I spent a full two hours on the phone to a Microsoft lady once, and in the end, after she'd been through every possible permutation of every possible trick, she memorably said: "Your computer is being weird."

I gratefully went back to Apple instead. Never should have left them in the first place, except the children wanted a cheap A to B internet device.
(1)

So far have been productive got out to the bank and got my mail at one PO and the church's at another even though probably will not get out to church tomorrow-another storm is due. I am making a big batch of waffles to share with my honey since we will not see each other for a few days then will make biscuits with dried fruit then a nap and watch sappy love stories.
(1)

fine day, buddy mick and i laid about 10 ton of snapwall. ( think 4 ft long railroad ties only made of natural stone and snapped on a breaker ) . this stuff makes a great retainment wall. each course racks back a couple of inches. beautiful is what the stuff is.
tired but still took edna to suckway after work. 5 to seven inches of snow coming so the one work day is about all we got by with for now.
we have 200 ton of snapwall stone on our job right now and will probably be ordering more later. my freakin luUMMBAR !!
(1)

Made my final payment on my mortgage. Yipppeee!!!!!! In the planning stages of making a fleece blanket and patchwork quilt for my grandson to be. Found out I am also going to be a great grandmother. Life is so good. Wish I could find a way to help my elderly mother find happiness in these blessed events instead of being so negative about children being born to unwed parents.
(4)

Debralee do you think we'll get like that once we get to their age, too? My brother's step-daughter descended instantly from being called "Vicky" to being "Victoria" once it was known she was up the duff, and now mother can't speak of her at all without getting sniffy.

Or maybe it'll swing the other way… we'll be right-on liberal little old ladies and our daughters will be saying "disgusting! Anyone would think they'd never HEARD of marriage..!"
(1)

CM I don't think it has anything to do with getting older but everything to do with generational norms. I am finding I am more open minded the older I get but I suspect if I was 90 I might be more narrow minded. Your mother probaly feels that Vicky (Victoria) is now damaged goods and will not be able to make a suitable marriage hence the sniffles. Everything swings around so maybe out kids will think that way but I doubt it. Since men have become such unreliable partners and financial supporters more women will choose to go it alone. All of my friends now in our 70s became stay at home Moms at least till our children were school age but eventually went back to work one way or another but the point is we did not feel we had to. Times they are a changing
(1)

Vicky's getting married at the weekend! - though not to Grace's father, which is another occasion for head-shaking but what can I say. I think Gracie's dad is still on the scene, though; I know his parents were very conscientious child-minders early on. Gracie must be five or six now. Since my brother flatly refuses to marry Vicky's mother, who has stuck to him loyally for nearly twenty years now, perhaps my mother is just projecting her disapproval onto the hapless Vicky rather than her darling Paul.

I certainly hope quite a lot of social norms don't return to how they were: too given to ostracising people. Then again, I think of my great aunts, who were youngsters in the Bloomsbury era I suppose, and remember my favourite, Leah, being about to tell me about some extremely interesting goings-on in Paris before the war and then checking herself - not suitable for my tender ears, sadly, I suppose. I don't know. They just seemed so much less strait-laced than my mother's lot.

And Debralee I forgot to congratulate you on the last mortgage payment - what a milestone! I remember my mother at last getting the deeds to her house. Unfortunately I remember it best because I'd just located them in a pile of old holiday brochures I was about to throw away… Bit of a cold water down the spine moment.
(1)

dang march snow blast here today. somebody must'a peed in old man winters post toasties?
(1)

Accomplished getting my mom out for lunch today despite sub-zero temperatures. She hates the cold, but hates not getting out for awhile even more. She enjoyed her once a week gin and tonic and a plate of sausage, spaetzle noodles and onion marmalade at our favorite roadhouse. Toured the grocery store afterwards and picked up some doughnuts she loves. At 85 pounds, I'm trying to keep the weight on her.

Think we ran into old man winter when getting on the elevator. He was exiting the elevator and had his zipper down (ahem) and had just urinated on the floor. My sons eyes were as big as saucers! I said hello to the man but he made no eye contact and shuffled off on his way. On our way out, I discretely told the concierge of the elevator 'situation'. I figured they would want it cleaned up right away. I've never noticed any off odors or anything there. They keep it very clean.

When we returned three hours later, the same man and I assume his daughter and her husband got on the elevator with us. It was back to 'normal'. The poor guy did not look good and his daughter had that deer in the headlights look I know too well. Just wanted to give her a hug. He's probably going to have to transition from the ALF to memory care.

I felt a twinge of guilt, but peeing in the elevator just isn't something the other residents should have to deal with in their 'home'.
(2)

Oh dear, Windy - but what else could you do but report what you'd seen? Besides, if he's got that far, what's next? It could be something that's dangerous for him or other people.

We have a tv ad. campaign running here with the punchline "Should've gone to SpecSavers" - astronauts landing their space shuttle at Stansted airport, a shepherd shearing his collie dog, a girl French kissing the wrong man at the train station while her boyfriend looks on in bemusement, that kind of thing. Not sure if they'd want to add the poor old guy weeing in the elevator…?!
(2)

an introvert can even make a slow ( snow ) day productive. ordered ball joints for the small trk, caught up my receipts ledger, and mentally redesigned my bunker a bit. its pretty nice but with some adjustments it will be pretty homey..
had some fabulous chicken livers for dinner.
(2)

Captain, my Mom and I love chicken livers, too!!! My husband hates them. Occasionally I buy liver dinners from Maryland Fried Chicken and Mom and I pig out where husband won't have to smell them. Good day here, too! Praise the Lord!
(1)

3 4 5 6 7
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter