Follow

Nearly everyone....

Not necessarily just because a lot of us have immensely difficult caregiving roles. The way the world is going, the mount of daily terrible news stories, the macro-economic news of doom & gloom... Things seem to be getting worse every week, some people can make the argument it started a long way back and some might say it started: 2001, some might say it started at the sub-prime crash of 2008. The bottom line is, it hasn't been consistently great, joyful living for many years now.

It always seems regular people (people that don't have money to splash around) are constantly only keeping their head above the water, then we get hit with the pandemic of 2020, numerous climate change disasters, "Europe war", inflation, cost of living... Nearly all the world must be feeling "What the bleep is going to happen?" next.

I want to share this song. For caregiver's with tough jobs looking after loved ones and people looking at the gloomy world picture right now and need to be reminded the joy of dreams.

___
(o o)
( V ) Hugs to all that need one!!
m-m----------------------------

"Hold On Tight" https://youtu.be/UkekqVPIc2M

Hold on tight to your dream
When you see your ship go sailing
When you feel your heart is breaking

It's a long time to be gone
Time just rolls on and on
When you need a shoulder to cry on
When you get so sick of trying
Just hold on tight to your dream

When you get so down that you can't get up
And you want so much but you're all out of luck
When you're so downhearted and misunderstood
Just over and over and over you could

..... the rest of it...

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Need: Yes I love music. There is maybe only one time in life when music may not comfort someone, but depends on the person and how they handle it. That's when a loved one passes. Nothing but time passing can help heal the loss. As I say depends on the person.

My favorite Beatle is also John. I think he connected to people more, intelligent, and wanted to change the world for the better, but look where it got him :( The thing is who ever going to forget his songs or what he stood for? No one.

There's this movie called Dare to dream, it was on Netflix. I think that was set in New Orleans. Katie Holmes & Josh Lucus. Great movie for any movie fans out there. I first saw Josh Lucus in Sweet Home, Alabama.

freflyer:

There's so much to be learn from every past generation that's for sure. I don't there's much more hardships than the Great Depression, some are say we are approaching something similar again. Good values and education was passed onto the Baby Boomers, For a minute I thought I was a Baby Boomer, then realized I'm a Gen X. I've learned a lot from my parents, how to be more frugal. When I was in my mid-30's I went a bit crazy... and looking back I could have done more, coulda, woulda, shoulda....

I have to agree with you many of the newer gen have had it easier, at least up until the last 5 years, when completely unexpected things happened. However, the new gen are the new voice, and seem to be looking for a more just world for their own future.

Not having electricity...we do take it for granted now and dependency on it is almost 90%, more things going electric as climate goals need to be reached.

I think the modern life has shaped the recent generations 24x7x365 shopping and now can be all done on the phone too, wanting everything in an instant.

I once asked my dad for a electric toy when they first came out. he saw I wanted it so much, and also new he has to work many days to earn the money again, but he still bought it for me. There wasn't so much of the concept of credit then. There was no internet for online shopping. I think now many children expect things instantly and parents running up credit cards to get things for them.

JoAnn29:

I agree with you completely :) I think some it might have rubbed off on Gen X too, but not as much.

Amazing story about the food pantry. The newer generations certainly lost the ability to manage without the systems.

I agree with you about the news also. I haven't stopped watching the news, but I'm a lot more selective about what I want to hear about. In recent years there's been good cause to know certain info on the pandemic for instance, but not constantly watch it, because that would just drive people nuts.

You're right about the news being depressing. I am trying to get away from it as much as possible and feel better for it. More than 95% of the time people don't know what's true and what's not true.

Thanks for all the replies to this one, it was interesting reading your views.
(0)

Oldageisnotfun,

I am a boomer. Your post sort of reminds me of ‘Imagine’ by John Lennon.

I love the line, ‘You may say that I’m a dreamer but I’m not the only one.’

John was always my favorite Beatle. I am definitely a dreamer. I don’t think we should ever take away someone’s dreams or hope. Life is nothing without hope.

You seem to get lost in music like I do. I have loved music all of my life. I am fortunate to live in a city (New Orleans) that is known for it’s love of music and food!
(1)

JoAnn29, you are so right about us Baby Boomers. Our parents were children of the Great Depression so they learned how to scrimp and save. And thankfully they passed that education value down to us [if we listened]. Plus strong work ethics.

The other day, the power went out in our area. After the power came back on I check our subdivision website, and it was filled with panicky younger people. You'd think they were in a Twilight Zone episode. Then the power went out again. I had to chuckle, remember when my Dad was a child, his parents didn't even have electricity.

I think my daughter-in-law [45] and her two teen daughters would not have survived the pioneer days.
(1)

IMO, you know who is going to survive anything that may happen, is the Baby Boomers and maybe their children. People who have just kept their head above water. They had to learn to be resourceful. Had to cut back and do without. Didn't expect hand outs. A few years back I read where a boy had graduated College and could not find a job using his major. His question was, who is going to take care of him. The same person who took care of me once I was out of HS, you. You take care if you.

I have not worked since I retired 11 yrs ago. We had a food pantry where I worked. You know who came in for food mostly 20 and 30 yr olds. The secretary in the Municipal building (Baby Boomer) asked me if I got a lot of young people because thats all that seemed to come to her asking for help. No Senior Citizens. All able body people.

I choose not to watch the news. Its depressing. At 73 nothing I can do now to change the world. I live in a small town of 13k. I chose to stay here. We have our problems but crime rate is very low. People are still friendly and I have my friends. Spending my time quietly. As I age I may just become a hermit.
(3)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter