Follow

I have been working on ways to entertain my mom, not only during visits, but also when I am not at the Assisted Living Facility. I purchased the Simple Music Player and loaded her favorite songs. Wow, what an amazing addition. She can play the songs without me assisting her. She looks out over a garden area and I also purchased colorful windmills (inexpensive and just pushed into the ground). It was amazing how the spot of color a movement has entertained her. Placemats with butterflies, flowers and bunny rabbits. She talks about them every visit. So, engaging the senses with color, sounds, smell and textures can make the visits wonderful but also give her great pleasure when she is alone. Thank you for all of the advice. It has made a significant difference in her life.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
You are right. I got the idea from another post. The windmill’s are those primary colors. Someone else posted about the music option. This forum has been a life saver. So many great comments from others who are dealing with the same issues.
(0)

Great ideas! My mother perked up to no end when music was on, but unfortunately, she couldn't see well enough to operate any kind of radio or player. Her place had a ton of music therapy every day, so they were always good to bring her out to the common room for that and I'd play YouTube songs for her on my phone when I visited.

The one sense I could always stimulate was her sense of smell. She could always tell when I brought her a chili relleno combination plate from the local Mexican restaurant, and that brightened her day more than anything. :-)
(1)

So good to hear these items you purchased have made a big and positive difference in your mom's life! What a great daughter you are to care enough to do all this for her in the first place. Kudos to you!
(0)

Oh how nice and great ideas. Its like with babies. It was always pastel colors bought for them. Pink, blue, yellow, pale green. When actually they respond to the primary colors dark reds, blues, yellow, orange, etc.
(0)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter