Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
1 2 3 4 5
I spoke with him on the phone just now! He sounds high as a kite, but great! He's offering the nurse $100 for a sandwich! God is good. First part is over, now onto the healing/rehab and all the rest

EB, thanks for the recommendation about the book & website; I was just thinking how I wish I knew of something to look into while I wait for him to come home!

Cali, thank you. He DOES have some guardian angels looking out for him I think.

Barb, I am thrilled beyond words to be on the other side of this part of the process. I will go visit tomorrow when they notify me he's been moved the lower level care ICU room. DD sent me a photo of the chest incision (yikes) and one of him looking totally goofy with a grin on his face and a shower cap thing on his head.

GA, no kidding about the wake up call. I'm going to follow the heart healthy diet recipes too, even though I don't eat a hi fat diet as it is. I think we can ALL benefit from healthier eating habits, me included.
(4)

Lealonnie, It is great to hear he is off the bypass machine and doing well. I bet that is a relief for you. My goodness Widow Maker? He is one lucky guy. I do hope he changes his diet. Joel Fuhrman M.D. has written a few books and has a web site. The Eat to Live Plan :The End of Heart Disease and Eat to Live Cookbook. Excellent recipes and information. Hope DH continues to do well. Thanks for taking the time to update us. May God continue to bless you both.
(2)

Oh my!! He had a widow makers blockages!!! He’s got him one heck of an angel on his shoulder!!! I’m so glad he’s made it out of surgery & is now recovering.

A 2 month fight which would have been avoided if Kaiser had done the cath test sooner! Unbelievable. Sounds like your DH has a good family team between you & DD so hats off to all of you!!
(3)

Lea, I'm so glad you and he are past this!
(2)

Relieved that this part is over. Continuing to think positive thoughts for you and your family.
(1)

I'm glad to learn that things have worked out well.  Your DH really had an "early warning system" event that apparently is a wake-up call, and which with your able assistance will help him back on a road to better health.

Congratulations to each of you, for your support, perseverance and of course for your care.    I hope the recovery is smooth, and that your DH enjoys his new diet as well as the rewards it will bring.   2021 can start off being a much healthier year for you.

I also want to thank you for the time and investment of sharing your news; I took lessons from your update post and put away the chocolate chips I was nibbling.
(2)

He's done.........came right off the bypass machine with no issues, meaning he's likely to recover well. They have to see if he's coherent when he wakes up to make sure he did not have a stroke during the surgery.

The surgeon told DD that the clogged arteries he had are known as The Widow Makers b/c people with those types of occlusions tend to 'drop dead', which is what I've been feeling in my GUT for the past 2 months: that he'd drop dead & I'd find him on the floor.

Bypass is not a 'cure' for heart disease, he said, that it kind of stops things in their tracks; that it's now up to DH to change his lifestyle to extend his life for a long time. He's eaten a very high fat diet for the entire 15 years we've been together, and even brags about it b/c he never had high BP or really bad cholesterol, etc. Yeah, right. So............he's retired officially as of 12/31 (on sick leave till then) and I can see to it that he's eating better and not having junk food 2x a day at work, and eating a healthy dinner. I spent an hour today throwing out ALL THE bacon and sausage in the house! He has 5 dozen EGGS in the fridge. Sheesh. Anyway, I'll help him and we'll exercise together, too.

The next 30 days are crucial for bypass patients to see if complications will arise. With God's help, he'll be ok and we'll get past this, one step and one day at a time.

It took Kaiser 2 months and a lot of carrying on by me and my DD and DH himself to get this catheter done, so this is the first time we've had an infamous issue with Kaiser. When they're good, they're great. When they're bad, you're facing death. We had one doc tell him to just walk 30 minutes a day & increase it to 60 minutes a day, with uncontrolled angina, which is a VERY dangerous thing to tell someone! We have filed an official grievance against the man, which they claim to 'take very seriously'.

Thanks to everyone! And yes EB, it's heartwarming to see everyone reach out and be so supportive here, which is generally how it is.
(4)

Hi lealonnie, Thanks for the update. I am so glad your DH is doing well. Great news!. Your DD is so wonderful keeping you updated frequently I am glad you have such a good support system. Look at all the caregivers on this site that care about you so much and sending prayers your way. It really is heartwarming.. May God continue to bless and heal your dear husband. Sending a hug to you. Take care of yourself.
(2)

Lealonnie a big hug to you!! Great big virtual hug!!! Glad he’s doing well on the bypass machine.

So glad your hanging tough and you have your DD to keep you up to date with what’s going on.
prayers being sent to you and your family. You are my inspiration lealonnie!!
(2)

Lea, that is great news! So glad that they found this in time! ((((((Hugs))))))).
(1)

He's needing a triple bypass as it turns out, and is low on platelets & has had a transfusion of 2 units this morning. The low platelet count combined with a daily baby aspirin is probably what's saved his life by preventing a massive heart attack!!!!!!!!!! Mind boggling.

Anyway, the first graft is complete and there are 2 more to go. He's doing well on the bypass machine, and I'm hanging tough over here at home, hearing from my daughter every 90 minutes.
(6)

Hope everything goes well and is successful. Take care of yourself too.
(4)

Holding you in my heart lealonnie. Great big hug to you.
(3)

Big virtual hug and prayers that all will be well!
(4)

So glad it's going well, Lea! Love to you and your family!
(4)

I spoke to DH this morning twice; he's holding up well. My DD got there at 5:45 & stayed with him in pre op right until they wheeled him into the OR. I got an update from her 10 minutes ago; everything is going well so far; they are in his chest now. they will call her again in about an hour with another update.

It's nice to come here & read the messages of love & positivity. Thank you everyone.
(4)

You are in the heart of us all. Holding your family in my thoughts all day. So relieved your DD is a Cardiac Nurse and will be there. Will watch for your updates. Stay strong our Sister.
(3)

"lealonnie1,"

Hope the morning is going as planned and was glad to see your DD would be stepping in on your behalf especially having the knowledge/experience in ICU situations as well as with the staff.

I know these procedures are quite lengthy and the waiting is very difficult.

May you sense God's presence with you today!
(3)

Hi lealonnie, Hope you got some rest last night. Praying for your DH for Gods healing power as he goes through surgery. Sending you a big hug.
(5)

Lea, hope your early morning visit went well and that you have some fellow spouses in your waiting room! (((((Hugs))))))
(3)

Great leaonnie. That was a very good decision you made. I am glad DD is so supportive. You can rest easy knowing he is in very good hands. Thanks for the update. Look forward to the update tomorrow. Will continue to pray for your DH.
(5)

Lealonnie....i just found this post. Im so sorry your husband is having these issues. Sincere prayers coming to you and for your husband as well. Update when you can. Love and prayers.....
Liz
(5)

Lealonnie, that sounds like a great idea. You and your DH will be on my thoughts and prayers tomorrow.

Giving you a huge hug for tomorrow!!
Thank you for keeping us updated.
(3)

Another update: DD, the cardiac RN, is going to be at the hospital all day tomorrow with DH in my place, and in the ICU with him afterward. We all decided that would be the best course of action to take, since she knows all the docs and speaks their language, and she's got a ton of experience with ICU and intubated patients.

I'll update again tomorrow.
(6)

So the covid patients in the icu are kept in a separate area with negative air output. Not likely either of us will get the virus in there. My DD will NOT be allowed to sit with me in the waiting room, she's been denied access per the hospital rule of one visitor per day per patient. Sigh. I hate covid, have I mentioned that? Taking stress to all new levels here. I will be here at 6am to see DH before his 630 am surgery and sit in the waiting room alone afterward. I will not visit him in the ICU afterward I don't think I will react well, but I may change my mind, who knows?
The doctor who gave DH the cath yesterday is seeing if one of the techs can get DD a badge so she can join me. As long as HE can't get fired, that's all I care about.

Funny story..... we bought a bp cuff awhile ago at an estate sale. DH has been using it to monitor his bp for the past 3 weeks and it's been reading VERY high. False reads...... it needs recalibration and we did not know that. So. He did NOT have hi bp in reality but it was that pos cuff that finally got the doctor to agree to order the cath that revealed these life threatening blockages!!!!! This was not a "coincidence" and why I truly believe he'll be fine. It was divine intervention Earlybird!:)
(7)

Lealonnie I am so sorry the surgery is being postponed until tomorrow. How stressful that must be. But I am so glad he will be having the best suregeon possible!!!

They wouldn’t be postponing it unless they knew they could.

When my husband and I went to visit my mother today, there was a big sign that said no visitors starting tomorrow at the hospital.

I panicked because until now they said it was 12:00-600pm visiting hours but we could visit anytime 2 at a time because she is in end of life care.

we are still allowed to visit anytime. Do what your DD thinks is best. You don’t want to get COVID on top of everything. Our hospital just got more cases that is why they are shutting down visitors.

I will be praying for you and your DH today and tomorrow.

I know this is not easy but you are so very strong. You have helped me so much over these last few months.Hang in there. We all care!!
(5)

Hi lealonnie, I am a believer when things are postponed it is for a very good reason. Early morning is the best in my opinion, the doctors are energetic and not usually tired from a long day. It is great your husband will have the best cardiac surgeon and it must be some comfort to you. I do hope you get some rest. Thanks for updating us. My thoughts and prayers are with both of you. Take good care.
(4)

"lealonnie1,"

Well, that was quite an anxiety and stress laden way to start off the day. Like Barb said, it really is better to have it first thing in the mornings.

Sounds like it's for the best all the way around - morning surgery, best surgeon, you getting to rest today from all the stress etc.

I am very surprised they would let you see him especially as COVID is escalating again (I wasn't even allowed in the hospital in April when my mom was near death). Maybe you can do Facetime like I did avoiding the risk to you. Our local hospital had an iPad that they passed around to patients who had families so we were able to see and talk to her on two different days. I guess I'd be concerned not just seeing him in that condition but having other patients with COVID in the same ICU.

Good idea to ask them about his exposure risk especially after a serious surgery like he's having.

Continued prayers in preparation for tomorrow!
(3)

Lea, ((((((hugs)))))))).

My husband had open heart surgery in 2005 and I am a BIG believer in "first thing in the AM"! I recall talking to the surgeon after the 6 hour surgery was done done and at the end of our conversation he said "gotta go; I have to do the next one". Oy!

I saw my husband immediately afterwards and the only problem was that when he saw me, he tried to rip the tube out so he could talk to me. Two nurses kept him from doing that, thankfully.

Get some rest and drink fluids!! I got my hair cut the day before my husband's surgery; I was looking pretty bedraggled because I'd been living at the hospital for the three days prior.
(3)

Update: My DH's surgery *likely triple or quadruple bypass* has been postponed until tomorrow *Friday* morning. Today's surgery was penciled in for this afternoon after a morning surgery............so I think it's better for tomorrow. He's also getting the best surgeon they have........the one that the other staff pray to get when they or their own family members are in need of heart surgery. So this also gives me a chance to rest & take a breather from all the stress. He will be taken immediately to the ICU and remain intubated for 24 hrs after the surgery, where I CAN visit, as it turns out. But my DD (the cardiac RN) is telling me NOT to go visit him in there for 2 reasons: being upset seeing him in such a condition and also, the COVID ventilator patients are housed in the ICU also so being that I'm high risk, she doesn't want me exposed. What about HIS exposure though, I need to ask her?

In any event, we'll see about that, I don't know. I'm more worried about sitting alone in the waiting room for upwards of 7 hours or more waiting for him to be finished with the surgery.

Thank you all so much for the support and the prayers, it means a lot.
(4)

1 2 3 4 5
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter