Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
1 2 3 4 5
Always await your update, so glad to have them. So relieved the cough subsided and the docs are happy with the chest xray or would not send him home. I will say that homegoing is ALWAYS scary. Is your daughter able to be around to private-duty for a while? Don't forget, you can always call EMS if you feel you need it. Safe better than sorry in early days. You and your hubby have the hopes and they prayers of so very many of us.
(7)

DH is being released today at 2 pm. The coughing has subsided, he slept well yesterday, and the blood transfusion helped a LOT. Fingers crossed that all goes well here at home.
(7)

I hope they get a handle on that coughing; yes, keep the pain meds going. I always think that day 3 to 5 are the worst after a big surgery such as this. The cough has to be so painful for him. Tell him to hang in there. I always think they sent people home too early these days, anyway. It gets tough to "hang tough" for the family about now, as well, an added burden for the men. Keeping you in loving thoughts through all this.
(1)

Lea, good thoughts and hugs.
(1)

I hope he feels better after the transfusion. He needs some good rest. He has been through so much but he should start to feel better a little each day. Thoughts and prayers sent to both of you.
(2)

He is in for a chest xray now... I'm sitting in the room. The cardiologist ordered a hemoglobin transfusion for when he returns from xray. His numbers are low ish. Should help oxygenate his blood and make him feel better. Never seen him look so bad or anxiety ridden.
(3)

"lealonnie1,"

Gee, this sounds like it could be a setback for him as far as not being able to be released as planned tomorrow.

It reminds me of when I had the worst bronchitis ever in my mid-20's. I coughed non-stop and since I was still living at home, I had to sit up all night in the family room so as not to keep my parents up. I literally couldn't sleep for an entire week and the delirium set in. Then it got to a point where I was afraid to fall asleep for fear I wouldn't wake up - real strange time.

I hope they can do something for him if the chest x-ray shows pneumonia or aspiration pneumonia as I'm sure it's painful to be continuously coughing!

I guess he's fortunate to have the opiates at this point - continued prayer for him to start feeling better as well as gaining some strength, getting some sleep and strength for you!
(1)

DH can't stop coughing..........so he's getting a chest xray in a bit; they're thinking pneumonia or that he has aspiration pneumonia from the surgery.

Cwillie..........opiates are the only thing causing him SOME relief right now, so taking him off of them isn't being discussed; he hasn't slept for the past few nights from coughing, so things are kind of a mess right now. Please continue to send prayers and good thoughts our way.

Thanks to everyone for everything
(3)

If the opiates are causing him grief you might want to rethink their necessity, when my BIL had open heart surgery for a valve replacement he was not given any opiates after discharge but took OTC pain killers instead - this is becoming the post surgical norm here.
(0)

Thanks for the heads up Barb; his cath came out 2 days ago; he s/b released tomorrow so I'll keep an eye on that (and 100 other things) in case he gets a UTI. SO many details to keep track of, it's mind boggling.
(2)

Lea; Yeah, that spirometer needs to be his new best friend!

Be aware if he was catheritized (I'm sure he was) that the possibility of a post-op (once he is home) UTI is there; if he develops fevers/chills, get him back to the original hospital asap. This happened to my DH and I was clueless as to what it might be. We called our PCP who guessed immediately what it was. Forewarned is forarmed, I think!
(2)

Yes, he has the pillow to hug which is VERY helpful. He also has the dreaded spirometer and his bed is quite elevated at the head. They're also giving him albuterol treatments via nebulizer 4x a day which are helping, although he coughs MORE after a treatment (I know that from experience myself from asthma). He's in good spirits though, and we went for a walk up one hallway & down 1/2 of another, so that's good. The 2 docs said they were happy with his progress............it's just a tough thing for the body to go through (and for me to witness). The coughing is the worst.........and I pray to God he doesn't have to SNEEZE!

Barb............yeah huh? MIL wanting to visit with pneumonia. Good lord, people just don't think, do they?

He may be released on Wednesday if all goes well, and if he's able to have a BM by then. They won't release him until they can SEE the BM! As we all know, it's hard to poop with so many pain meds even though they're giving him a ton of stool softeners, Miralax, etc. Tonight they bring in the next level laxatives........the big guns. LOL
(3)

I remember my dad hugging a pillow each time he coughed or sneezed for weeks post op. He definitely thought coughing or sneezing hurt the worst, more than surgery.
(0)

Has he been given an incentive spirometer?

That really helped my DH in the days and weeks post surgery. And yes, the big red heart pillow to hold when coughing of sneezing.

When DH was in the hospital, his mom had pneumonia. She was trying to find out what hospital he was in so she could visit.

I called my BIL and said, "your one and only job is keeping your mom away from here. If he gets pneumonia, he will die".

Fortunately, BIL was able to get her doctor to intervene and tell her she needed to stay put for her own health.
(1)

I can remember when my parents had bypass surgery that they were given a pillow to hug to their chest and made to cough periodically in order to keep the lungs clear, they said coughing was worse than the operation. I hope they keep his bed elevated?
(2)

"lealonni1,"

At first I thought "oh, no" when you mentioned the fluid in one lung but, I'm glad the doctor said he's doing well in spite of the pain and coughing.

It's unfortunate that he's unable to sleep well as a result of it because we all know the good sleep is essential when it comes to healing of any kind whether it be physical, emotional or psychological. It is so necessary!

Hope he gets past this part soon so the real healing can begin.

Thank you for the update and hope you and your family are doing a little better now with a new week ahead of you.

Continue to take care of yourselves in the meantime!
(1)

Update: No release date scheduled yet. DH has a lot of fluid on one lung from the chest tubes that were placed for surgery (and just came out yesterday). He's been coughing a lot and unable to sleep as a result. The doctor said he's doing well, in spite of all the pain & coughing.
(4)

"lealonnie1,"

So glad everything went well with your husband's triple bypass! You and your family have been extremely busy these past several days with a wedding along with everything else. Hope your husband realizes he's been given a second chance to get it together so to speak.

My uncle has had several quadruple bypasses and will NEVER quit smoking or eating a high cholesterol diet. Same with my ex- BIL, he's had them too and has diabetes to the point of losing a big toe - no changes with him either. Go figure!

Here's to better days ahead!
(2)

I think you are so wise in how you handle things, Lealonnie1. It is up to the person to make what changes they wish to make. Me, I am not giving up a few things I love, no matter you tell me I die at dawn because of it. Stubborn as I can be. My Partner is so good on that stuff. He has been saying "Try a BocaBurger, they are REALLY good" and I turned up my nose to this veggie burger for 6 months before I gave up and tried one. With a bit of onion, relish, tomato, lettuce, I challenge ANYONE to say that isn't one GOOD burger.
Too much change too quick can tax an already rapidly adapting, if willing partner. Already so much that he is in control of in his life is under pressure. He knows. He's a grownup. And this is one heck of a message. He will make his decisions and you will be there to support him every step. So glad all continues well.
(3)

Mid: According to my DHs cardiologist, the widowmaker arteries cannot be stented; if his was stented, it would fall out and kill him, being it's the major artery feeding the top of the heart. And that was just one of the 3 involved.

DH and I have the type of relationship where nobody 'takes care' of anybody else unless there's a total need, ie: my hip replacement where I couldn't get around. Then he was there to help. Neither of us eat sugar as it is, and all the rest of the high fat foods have been discarded from my home. He will be home now and it will be easier for him to eat healthier than on the job where he ate fast food a lot. It's up to HIM how he eats; in 2008, I went on a diet and lost 100 lbs. I did it, not him. He continued to eat normally while I ate my own meals

He is the type of person that, once he puts his mind to something, he DOES it. Never looks back. Quit smoking 25 years ago by throwing the cigs in the trash and never smoked another one. Same thing with coffee. When he gave up sugar 4 years ago, he never drank another cup of coffee again (bc he took sugar with it). He said he'd never drink another alcoholic beverage after he got deathly sick puking at 17 years old, and he hasn't had a drink since. He is the strongest human I know. And, if he decides to live a heart healthy lifestyle, I'll be right there with him and helping him, but not doing it FOR him.

For me, marriage is a team effort. If only half of the team is putting forth effort, it's time for me to move on. If that makes sense. I'm not giving up MY heath to 'mother' him! And I don't think he'll make it necessary, with God's help
(4)

Lea I am so happy your DH is now in the recovery phase and things went well. I am so relieved for you both that the blockages were found, and of all things that old and broken BP cuff! Amazing that thing actually ended up saving his life!

I hope you can rest easier now and look forward to DH coming home to recuperate. You and your DD did great getting through this, sending you another big hug!
(1)

Wonderful news, lealonnie. It is great both you and DH can watch the wedding via Zoom together. Hope you have a good visit. Glad he is doing well. Take care.
(2)

Just caught up on all this--I'm so glad things worked out.

My DH had the "widowmaker" 4 years ago, but was able to have it remedied with a lot of stents---his cholesterol was 150 and he bragged endlessly how he could eat ANYTHING and it didn't affect him.

He did initially follow the dietary rules, did the cardio rehab and really behaved---slowly he slipped back into eating garbage and never exercising. His diabetes is now on the verge of being a real issue again--I really feel for you and the rehab ahead.

Stents are much easier on the body and a quicker rehab, but still. I do hope your DH follows the rules and realizes that he's a million dollar animal now.

My just got his butt kicked by his cardiologist, Liver transplant Dr. and PCP all in one week. He's now a chastened man, but he doesn't get unlimited passes on walking up to death's door and being turned away.

I will give you ONE piece of advice: Let HIM be accountable for his own eating habits, exercise, etc. Anything that my DH did for 'me' was incredibly resented and I had to learn to step back and prepare healthy meals, not keep sugary foods around and letting him make his own choices.

And YOU take care of YOU!!! I've developed heart problems due entirely to the nonstop stress of caring for DH. I'm medicating so I can live with HIM!
(0)

Lealonnie, such great news! And a wedding, oh my! (((((Hugs)))))) to you both!
(1)

Spoke with DH on the phone this morning; he's in pain but chipper & upbeat. Sitting in a chair & sent a photo (high as a kite, too! LOL). We both slept last night, too. Will head over to the hospital as soon as he's moved from the ICU down one level to the critical care unit (where they don't keep covid patients). Stopping by DDs for an N95 mask. Stepson getting married tonight via ZOOM (believe it or not) so both DH and I will 'be there' from his hospital room to raise our water glass in a toast. Not sure how great a garbled toast DH can muster, but hey, nobody's complaining!

Daughter, LOVE your comment!
(6)

I love you got such a positive call with him last night. I am hoping today goes well and that you update us. Thinking of you.
(0)

Hi lealonnie, thinking about you and wondering how your husband is doing. Hope both of you had a good nights sleep and things are stable with DH. Prayers sent to both of you.
(0)

What a whirlwind! So glad he’s doing well. My dad had 6 bypasses in in 60’s and it truly did change him. He changed his diet, started an exercise program at a gym where he met many new friends, and took so much better care of himself. I wish you the best in helping hubby with recovery and the changes to come
(3)

Hello lealonnie, What wonderful news about DH. He is hungry that is a good sign. One step at a time, right? I am sure you are relieved the surgery is over and he is stable. Thanks for the update. Get a good nights sleep and rest peacefully.
(1)

LEA, so glad dh is done with the surg! The scar will look better after one summer of exposure, promise.

Please, get a good night's sleep and check back in the AM. (((((Hugs)))))))
(0)

1 2 3 4 5
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter