Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
OMG! Thank you for your statement! I am going through the same thing. My mother not only is selfish, honery throws temper tantrums but verbally abusive and also threaten to jump on me! My culture as a African American you are taught to not talk back to your parents and take care of them in your home when they get old but in my case I will not be able to do that because the stress is overwhelming plus she treats others better than me. I haven't moved her yet but it's in my plans in the near future.
(3)

OMG! I am going through the same thing. Not only my mother is selfish, honery, verbally abusive, throws temper tantrums, saids the gross and embarrassing things, which is funny to my friends but me not so much! But she also wants to physically fight me sometimes! I defiantly have a senior care in the near future because she treats others better than me! So glad to know someone can feel what Im going through!
(5)

I spent all my life (most of it, I'm 60) taking care of other selfish people. My wife who, I stuck for twenty years, my daughter who is 18 and dropped out of high school, and now my mother who is now 85 and needs assistance with everything. I work five days a week and take care of mom two days. I travel a hundred miles every weekend. I have don't have a life and will likely not until I'm too old. Don't see a way out.
(6)

Dear Islander60,

I know it sometimes feel hopeless and there is no choice but to be the responsible and dutiful one. I felt that responsibility keenly as well. In hindsight, please know its okay to find other options for our loved ones. I wish for myself had stepped back and realized I wasn't coping well anymore. I needed to get help for myself and for my loved ones. I just wanted you know there is a way out, there are always other options. Maybe consider talking to social worker about your mom. Take care of yourself.
(2)

I have  and had 5 surgeries in my adult life. My parents never attended even one of those surgeries. No problem. I am single, now age 60. My mother has 6 kids who are all doing their very best. She is twice divorced and now old and disabled. She moved far away for warmer weather. Now she feels “abandoned”.
When she wants to be left alone, she leaves. She moved to 3000 miles away after her 2nd divorce. Moved back because she was lonely. Moved 1000 miles away for better climate. That’s ok, but there is no one there to take care of her. I told her before she left this would happen. She said “no one cares anyway”.
There is a certain type of parent that does not really understand their child’s autonomy, feelings, etc. When I had a miscarriage (I was a little older and it was almost a miracle pregnancy) she told me I was lucky my baby died.
What kind of mother says this to her own daughter?
She is confused about the feelings her children have about their own lives, marriages and autonomy. Especially as she is older now she is more angry than every that people don’t stop what they are doing to see to her needs. She lives far away and none of us is in the position to run interference from a distance. I told her over and over again not to move far away, but she wanted to. Now she is mad no one comes there. Well, they can’t afford it, plain and simple.
Every parent is different. Save yourself if your parent is making excessive demands that you find difficult to fulfill.
Some parents inspire devotion and it is great that they have adult children who are near to them and love to do these things. However, some parents do not inspire devotion and are angry and demanding. If that is your parent, sometimes no matter what you do it’s the “wrong thing”. Do what you can and let it be. It is not worth it to sacrifice your life for extremely self centered parents. We love them, but we love ourselves too. Take care of yourself or you will find yourself in a very bad position, especially if your parent is the self absorbed type. They will never see what your needs are.
Good luck out there!
(8)

I have a selfish mother too! She is very manipulating and plays me and my sister against one another in order to fulfill her needs. She has ample money for herself, but comes to my house to eat so she wont have to buy food etc. She comes here to complain about the same thing day after day. Makes me crazy but I deal with it. She wont even buy a gallon of milk without asking for 5.00. I cant believe her! She even makes me give her 50 cents for a stamp. Well I don't charge her for heat, a place to sleep food etc. I don't even get a real hug. She says "I am your mom". I say that is the most overused form of control I know. Then be a mom, show some LOVE for someone other than yourself.
(5)

I just want to say thanks for this article... I'm a African American woman... My mother is a 71 year old selfish asshole... I had a life living on my own with freedom until my step father got I'll.... They never had a real marriage... For 26 years their marriage nothing but drama... Arguing, fussing, and fighting and it's been going on for years... Trying to change him... Nothing worse by dealing with her in laws.. He passed away last week... No furneral arrangements due to her in laws can't stand her and don't want to get along.... Ever since he died, .. She seems like she's glad he's gone.... Here's the story we African Americans... We lived in the neighborhood that is not so great... Her house is messing, nasty and roach infected due to her clutter house, she's crazy.. she always has mental issues since when I was a child but now with the medications and age, she gotton worser and worser....she just plain old psycho....she treats me like I'm an intruder now, going through my stuff, treating me like a kid like really????? Tell me how to live my life, ever time we go to the store she just don't want to get out... I'm from the generation you can't talk back or else... Thats that African American tradition... It's alot of stress on me with High blood pressure, and anxiety now I'm in deep depression... How I feel about her, I be glad her time comes.... So I can be free.....
(9)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter