Follow
Read More
Feels like you are taking about my relationship with mother. It is a constant nightmare!
(3)

Beware of the woman who's father ....wanted a son.

Remember

these women were first born to a generation of men who hated women and wanted a son. Or had a son and looked down on there daughters. That can't be ignored. Of she's hateful bet you her father couldn't stand her.
(3)

I understand completely. Unfortunately it is the balance of self care and limitations or healthy , secure boundaries around her which she will probably break or not acknowlege.
I get it.
L
(1)

You are not alone. You just totally described my life. I got on google this morning and was researching hoemone therapy in elderly women because my mom is 80 and has always been controlling, dominating, negative and just down right hateful mean when she gets angry which she does anytime you dont bend to her whether its as simple as agreeing with her opinion or her criticism. I know she loves me but in that moment of full blown rage it feels a lot more like hate. In these last 5-10 years it has got worse because she seems to have less compassion, has started to lie or be in full denial of her own actions and its almost like Im dealing with 2 people at once. Like a switch flipping her eyes narrow and what I call her evil low tone voice comes out and it always a mean sarcastic challenging snarl of a comment. Im seriously scared she is losing her mind. I love my mom. I want to learn all I can about hormones, mental health, foods that are good or bad for controlling anxieties that trigger this behavior and I think most of all ways to control how I react to her attacks on me. I need to reprogram my mind to stop being hurt and defending myself because it allows her to control me. I need to not let her get to me because I roll in and out of depression. I feel guilt because I can't help her if I can't control my reaction to her. It is very hard to feel so lost and helpless and at the same time the guilt of wanting to stay away to save myself and like you said protect my kids from going through what my sibblings and I have been through for so many years.
(4)

You are not alone; None of us are. Nor are we so immune from becoming one like the woman who you, so painfully describe, as your Mother. Someone has said in the past: "I think therefore I am." This is a fact of life. That not only of ourselves but also of how we perceive others. In particular those closest to us.
Yes there usually are certain memories that stand out in the backburners of our mind.Only to seemingly flare up when we least expect it, only to sour the moment or suddenly drift a dark storm over what would otherwise would've been a nice ending to a day. Sure life is unfair, so to speak of, but it is fair in that when the sun shines, it does so on all, both the right and the wrong, the good and the bad. And so it is when it rains well. If a parent happens to be as you describe, take a moment and ponder their life. What was it like when she was young and growing up? Your Grandparents; What were they like as her parents? What kind of upbringing did she have? Was she hurt by a young boy during her adolescence, or spurned by a young man a little later in life? What was she like as an mature adult before you came along? WHAT HAPPENED WHEN YOU CAME ALONG? Understanding your Mom just a little bit more might help you to discover that she is not so different from you except for that one moment in her life that left her in so much pain. So much so that she did not nor could she not let it go. And so it now rears' it's ugliness in the form that your experiencing as her child. Mathew12:33-37
(0)

Hi,
You have just described my entire life ... My mum dominated me and my dad all my life ..now 87 she is even more unbearable .. Your not alone i hope you did go on the holiday with your children and have a lovely time
Best Wishes
(5)

Same here - 85 year old father who is so negative, cynical and pessimistic - he’s also a hypochondriac and has OCD - triple-whammy. He gets worse. It only takes me 10 seconds to realise why I haven’t visited him for weeks - I get a torrent of complaints, whining and moaning about the weather, people, TV, his neighbors, his landlord. I can only be near him for about 5 minutes because he’s as toxic as radioactivity - find myself burying my head in a pillow and screaming when I get home - it’s the only way to release pent-up anger and frustration. I’ve seriously told my two daughters to lock me away in a home if it ever looks like I’m behaving like him.
(7)

Don’t let the guilt continue! My mother didn’t have Dementia, but made a sick sport of putting her five daughters against each other our entire lives. Could never have any two daughters around her at the same time. Holidays were a fight. Distance didn’t matter. She would tell one of us something to tick off another and there would be more fights. I finally put my foot down and said I wasn’t letting her talk to my grandchild the way she speaks to us. I stopped making my children go there to visit. I stopped taking my granddaughter there. Finally got my point across. There comes a day you have to be the adult they refuse to treat you as and put your foot down and stop subjecting yourself to all that hate. Hire caregivers. Put space and peace between you. You can be a responsible daughter from a distance. Good luck to you.
(10)

We are just at the start of the process. MIL has always been domineering and tries to control. She is also OCD. The filters are quickly dropping away and she is saying cruel things to her son (my husband.) I have to back off. My BP skyrocketed this week as we have been trying to help her with some necessary work in her house. I am sure assisted living will be in her future. I am all about compassion, but boundaries are important too.I won't let this jeopardize my health.
(4)

I am absolutely gobsmacked reading these posts, because so many describe my mother in law perfectly. She's always been controlling, now she is losing control and is incredibly mean. It's a balancing act to be kind but to not let it destroy us and our health. When she says these things though, it seems that she always hated my husband, but not she just says so out loud. I guess we might never know for sure, but this is painful.
(4)

I try to see where my mother is coming from. She has a lot of physical disabilities and life is a real struggle for her now. She needs and receives a lot of care. She moved to Florida for warmer weather (no family lives there). She is 86.
For years I heard her complain about her unappreciative mother, my late Grandma. Grandma lived to 95. She was very independent, healthy, had ample funds, needed very little assistance until the last 6 months of her life.
However she may have treated my mother (which I did not personally witness) she was very kind to me and we were great pals. I miss her.
My own mother just told me that she appreciates all the caring and nice things I say and do for her even though I am “a pain in the neck”.
I have many struggles and neither of my parents help me. I live far away and all I do is try to listen patiently with respect and try to help as much as I can from afar.
So now I am a “pain in the neck”. No particular reason. Just no filter on what the woman says and she just lets fly. I find these remarks injurious and exhausting. I told her that was a mean thing to say and she went on and on about how I am not perfect. Wow!
I try to keep contact with her to a minimum. She says a lot of mean things and it is very hurtful to me. I know
she is coming from a difficult place but I am not Superwoman. My parents divorced when I was was
young and both of them gave me a lot grief - for my entire adult life.
This escalated nastiest when I am trying to be as helpful, kind and positive as possible is a little too much for me. I let my mom know that saying I am a pain in the neck is mean and please do not say that.
I just check out from her from time to time. When I speak to
her on the phone she always has some critical follow up text message she sends me. So I have gotten around to just sending her text short text messages, as
much as I prefer speaking with her. Less “ammunition” for her to use against me. I do not point our her faults (she has many), only remark if she makes a nasty comment about me in particular.
She is twice divorced and is
quick to point out what she perceives as people’s shortcomings and is combative. Needless to say most people do not appreciate this. It is no wonder she is alone in her old age.
The irony is that she explicitly expresses that her mother was “so mean” to her. She does the same. She learned nothing from that experience- except how to be mean.
I have 5 siblings. I have no idea what she says to them.
I have no kids, no husband (never married). I am just trying to keep my own head above water. She wants me to come visit her. Apart from the fact that I cannot afford it, I do not think that I could psychologically, emotionally or physically handle it. My brother offered to pay for a trip for me to go visit her, but I declined. I need to focus on taking care of my own problems which are numerous. I had many older relatives I just loved spending time with. They cheered me and I cheered them. I am not a selfish person but my mother seems to repeat the pattern she expressed she had with her own mother with me.
No thanks. I just can’t do it.
(8)

You’re not alone. I care for my 90 year old father. I took a leave of absence from work and cared for my mom in the hospital 24/7 who ended up on a ventilator for 5 months until she died. I loved my mom and miss her so badly I was trying so hard to get back to work and try to take care of myself and have a little life with my kids. But my father who is actually in not so bad health makes it impossible. He is miserable and hateful. He does not appreciate or acknowledge anything I do for him. I work and care for him. I have no life. I have two beautiful adult children that I can’t even enjoy. He refuses any outside help. He treats me like garbage and never passes a chance to criticize and put me down. I’m always depressed. I’m stuck. I wouldn’t want to live if it weren’t for my kids. I feel hopeless It’s affecting my health and I’m scared something will happen to me and my kids will have no one. We literally have no family. Their father is not a part of their lives.
(2)

The term mother doesn't mean loving person. I'm so sorry you are dealing with her.
(6)

I feel the same way about my mother and it upsets me to be around her!!!
(4)

I’m reading your post and all the comments and just shaking my head. My mom’s health deteriorated after my dad died and ultimately mom couldn’t live on her own. With my two other sisters in agreement, we found mom a great assisted living facility near my home. (My sisters lived out of state). Mom lived there for a few months happily and regained much of her strength and health with daily nutritious meals, regular accurate dosing of meds, physical therapy and lotsa of social engagements. Once she felt stronger, she decided she didn’t need to be there and wanted to move home. No amount of talking could convince her otherwise. While I was hospitalized for a knee surgery she called and told me she was moving herself back home. (That was 4 hours away to a home that had no phone service or other communications system in place). I told her that she should not do that, it wasn’t safe. She hung up on me. I alerted my other sisters to the concern. They literally intervened and canceled the movers. The next day mom called me (still in hospital recovering from the 4th knee surgery in 6 months)...she leaves a voicemail. “You can go straight to hell”. Wow, yep that’s what she said. I was floored. After holding dad’s hand and helping them through the years of his cancer diagnosis and treatments. After being the caretaker of their home when they became too old to maintain it. My husband and I just couldn’t believe she’d actually said that to me/us. That was 18 months ago and she did in fact move herself back home. I’ve been to see her twice. I feel nothing towards her now. My grown children do not want to be around her as they have had very nasty phone calls from Mom. I’m emotionally disconnected. It’s hard!
(10)

I was so grateful too find this thread. I don't choose to go into my parent problems and feelings, just to say I am lucky, I do love them, unlike some of my siblings. But I went through years of counseling.
I do want to put my feelings down however.
We as humans have to care as best as can for ourselves. When I feel guilty and because of that feeling choose to help someone or do something I am sure I put off a feeling of anger. Sometimes my anger comes from "why should I" sometimes it comes from "Well no one else is going to help". Then what I think is the best, "I just don't want to!" There are many things in life we don't want to do, go to the Dr. the DDS. Sometimes going to work. But we do them anyway, and at times helping our parents will be one of those things. And I think I can truthfully say even if we love them or not.
Unless our children want to help, I don't feel they should have to. Their time of choice will come soon enough with us. Unless it is not legal and or we will be doing harm we have choices.
Talking to a mean mother on the phone, "Sorry mom, I have to go now." Christmas? ? Take turns with siblings, if you don't want a turn, offer one of your siblings something to take your turn. And I don't mean something like "I will pay your way there." Family feelings last a long time and the feeling of being used is a very hurtful feeling. If you wouldn't like it, why would you think they would. There is also the other side of the coin to, your mother may be kinder to you than one of your other siblings and you don't mind.
As for feelings of guilt, anger, selfishness, ect. I feel, and you may to. NO ONE can change those feelings but us. I really had to think about this with myself. When I told my friend I felt guilty for not going to be with my mother on a Sunday, she ask point blank, "What do you think anyone can do about how you feel ?"
So if your not going to do something, allowing yourself to be ok with your decision, that is the only way to care for you.
Caring is a hard job no matter who or what it may be we care for, parents, childern, pets, ect. I am at this point in my life trying to help care for my parents, a elderly uncle and aunt, we a elderly ill friend. I'm 63 and I promise I am not saying any of these things lightly. I am tired and depressed, sometimes more than other times. Coming here and seeing how others feel and deal helps me.
I pray truly for all who are trying to care for someone else and themselves. May God bless you for your kindness.
(3)

It is very sad that so many of us are struggling with elderly parents who become mean. I had a very happy childhood and raised by 2 loving parents. That all changed when my father was diagnosed with Alzheimer's 6 years ago. However, he is still a delight to be around - happy and appreciative even though he is in moderate stages with a short term memory of minutes. My mother has become a lying hateful monster.

For years, I had talked (begged) them to get their affairs in around and to move into town (luckily finances aren't an issue). She told me that no one was going to tell her what to do and then told relatives that she wasn't dead yet. My brothers and i hired housekeepers and sitters. She fired them. She then faked having a stroke and was taken to the hospital. When she was to be discharged, she told the nurse that none of her 4 children would help her and she had no where to go. I live 2 hours away so talked to her every day and visited every other Sat. The nurse called Social Services who then called me and said it was being escalated to ensure there we weren't abusing my parents. I had to leave work, drive 2 hours, get her and my father into assisted living.

My father hated it so went home. My brothers hired sitters for my father during the day and one of us stays every night (one never stays). They are local and since I live away, I take weekends. I get off work Friday, drive 2 hours, take care of my father, leave Sunday evening, drive 2 hours home, and then go to work Monday. I work 7 days a week for nearly 3 years. My brothers cover for me so I have a weekend off every 3 months. I take my father to see my mother every Sat and Sun when I'm there. My mother won't speak to me and blames us for taking our father home. She tells relatives that I never visit. She acts like she can't hear me but can hear everyone else until she gets angry. The staff at the facility are complaining about her. She is healthy and mentally sharp. I realize that caring for my father became too much for her but she won't accept outside help. My brothers will not visit her anymore since she is so hateful to them. Luckily she is kind to the grandchildren and great grand children. I can't sleep, cry often and suffer from depression. I am missing my own family and friends. She will likely live for many more years (10+). I feel very guilty because I want it to be over and don't want to ever she her again...but I have to take my father to visit her. I have told my husband that if I die before my mother, I don't want her at my funeral.

I am a 58 year gay man and has been with my husband for 30 years. He is amazing and is supportive of what I'm going through.
(5)

Mine hasn't "become" mean She's always been rude hateful and sarcastic but now that she's elderly (92) it's worse. Also, she's one way with some people and then something different with others. While I'm aware that many seniors are dealing with forms of dementia there are some that I'm convinced that like my mother know exactly what they're saying and doing.

The only reason I say that is because when I call her on it you can see by her face she knows she's done/said the wrong thing.

I can't tell you how many vacations I've had to leave early not to mention ask time off from work to address confusion she's had over bills/checking account questions that turned out to be nothing. She refuses to give me power of attorney or add my name to be on her accounts so I can call in no matter where I am and address any issues she has. The last time I drove 9 hours to her house from where I was on a business trip because she was concerned that she was being double billed on utilities and she had received multiple bills (nope...that wasn't the case after all) and the first thing out of her mouth was "did you forget to put on your makeup?" I've been chewed out by her home nursing staff over stuff she says happened but didn't. We also found out recently that a lot of stuff she told us about her upbringing and early life wasnt entirely factual. She always talked about being homeless and having horrible abusive parents. I had questioned it when I was a teenager because if her mother was so horrible, then why did she have no problem letting me stay with her for weeks on end? Drama stories about how she changed a tire on her car when she was 9 months pregnant She didn't learn to drive or get a license until I was 8 Just stupid stuff and she's still doing it.

Only lately have I had the nerve to stand up to her. When she made the makeup comment above I said "It seems you have your finance issues resolved. Have a great day" and I walked away and drove back home. If they act like children...treat them like children. I refuse to let her talk to me like that anymore. I have also touched base with her neighbors and home nursing staff to ask they call me first to verify what she's said before taking action or forming an opinion.

In short, she gets back what she dishes out as long as I know she knows what she's doing....and...yeah she does.
(9)

Ok, the oth r side of the coin.

I care for my husband age 72, and am increasingly frustrated by what has been the result of his increasing deafness. Sometimes it is funny, sometimes not. He also had stents inserted about three years ago. I miss then conversations we had. We eat in silence.

why? Because he is my carer for PD, cooks, takes me out every day for a coffee or an adventure. I speak too softly for him to hear! Am starting speech therapy.

I am anxious that this handsome man who loves me so much continues to be as positive and loving as he has been.

i have two daughters, the eldest of whom it could be said she hates me, loves her dad, and my younger daughter loves me but is quick to lay down the law with me. When I, as opposed to my husband, need a care facility, I can see it accomplished with speed... I feel for you. I don’t hate my eldest but am more careful around her, watch what I do, don’t visit unless invited... and we see our granddaughter once a month or less... I know my husband used to meet her occasionally for a coffee, used to feel jealous but no longer. My youngest loves about 185 miles away but we see more of her! The opposite to your situation.

You could always try insisting your mother be treated with respect, and watch them pick their jaws off the floor. If said in front of her you will either win or lose big time... sometimes change is a great catalyst for more.

i sense you are a kind person...

Any suggestions welcome please!
(0)

AnnieWishes, if my parents were in your situation, where they depended on one another for care but both had chronic diseases likely to be progressive: I would be happiest if they found an assisted living community ahead of time so that they had a fair chance of establishing themselves and enjoying a good quality of life independently, but with the support they are likely to need already in place for when it's needed.

Is that kind of move something you and your husband are considering or might consider?
(4)

It sounds like we have the same mother. You are not alone. My family sees how my mother behaves and get no enjoyment out of spending time with her either, But we do. Because we should. She is religious in a holier than thou way and feels her opinion can be expressed because it’s “helpful “. We have taken up some self defensive behaviors when we are around her. Many topics are off limits (religion, politics and news) and intrusive questions are sidestepped. It is a very superficial relationship because she is so judgmental and nasty. I’ve also learned that since she will never be proud of me and I strongly disagree with her parenting style, I’m free to stop seeking her approval. Care for yourself, protect yourself and your children. Limit your time with her. If she asks why. Tell her.
(5)

Amazing thing here is there are so many of us. We're 50-60's age brackets and finally seeing the light - to the point where we reach into cyber space and put all the ugly out there hoping to find the sanity that we can not. I have cut all ties with my 91 yr old mother-I feel nothing- Not angry, depressed- devoid of any kind of emotional response to her. GUILT? forget about that, there is none, and the longer I stay away from her the more clarity comes to the surface. At 62 yrs old, I finally told my husband a truth. I was 8 yrs old, summer of the third grade going into the 4th- I attempted suicide. Entire bottle of bayer asprin and milk locked in a bathroom. I dont remember much-vomiting-I think I was out cold my dad carrying out the front door to a police car-getting banged around, her screaming over and over "she's mental". No one ever knew. Since dumping her, it dawned on me that I didnt own that darkness- I was 8- not an adult, and COULD NOT be in charge of what got me to that point-but knew I was garbage and needed out. And you know what, that confession 2 weeks ago gave even more clarity to whom she is, way back then, so guilt, nahh, none here.
She has begun another phase of "accusations from a far" I call it. She makes accusations and I get contacted and go thru the motions of clearing up a mess, all with no contact to her. Latest one was 2 weeks ago. I think she may be out of punching bags, as she has just terminate her home health care-again. I am just waiting for the state to step in, she lies, picks up the phone and spews this awful life crap she wears like a crown. She didnt learn her lesson when the state of florida stepped in b/c of BS story she passed around. Sold the house and moved here. THAT was a horror show! 90 and homeless, living in hotels- 2 of which she had to leave at management request.

My advice is no contact. I couldnt get that thru my head for decades, nothing sunk into my head. As a daughter- an only child- the correct roll was to be there for an aging parent, no matter what. Thru this website, I learned I was playing by the rules for a the usual family. Family- a group of people, related by blood or marriage, who loved each other, however perfectly imperfect. Finally figured out that MY definition was far from the situation I was molded in and those rules did not apply. I stepped up, the worse it got. Everything had a negative consequence. The only thing we can do is remove ourself from the situation. Realize it is NOT GUILT we feel-It is us, trying to do the right thing and being rejected -vilified-back into the low self worth they prefer for all. Its the comfort zone of a narcissist to bring you to your knees and make sure you KNOW are nothing. THEY TAKE ZERO responsibility for anything they do or say EVER. Victim only status. She was pushing me to the end point and the more energy I put into her, trying to change things only changed me, my life, health, wallet, marriage. There she was- changing my heart and soul, and I let her . People like this, its in their bone marrow, its not blood in their veins, its venom. We cant change that. The day of my final departure, it was a 3 hr screaming battle. So much for the sick 91yr old lady pass she ALWAYS gets. Her mouth is a machine with no brain stem attached. She had no hesitation reminding me I was nothing more than a blood clot that survived. How's that for ya at 91. I could list some of her one liner's that would knock you off your chair, trust me.

The choice is ours, become them, or go forward, live before we die. I am 62 and broke, I put it all into nothing and got exactly that. But I did have the pleasure of WALKING AWAY for her to live in her universe of one. My life has value, even if my bank account doesnt. Im starting over. I will promise you this, keep the distance, it wont be long before you hear yourself laugh. You will sleep, feel lighter, do things...it just happens.
(15)

God bless you . I feel for you and your situation, but you should not feel guilty anymore. Stop letting her send you into bouts of depression. You need to put your grown childrens happiness and your own peace of mind ahead of your mothers . Your mother has apparently chosen the life she wanted to lead. And while you were a child growing up you had no choice but to live with her. Now this is your time to live happy, to have wonderful family Holidays with out your mother, without her negative emotions brining everyone down. I don’t know if you pray or not but I hope so. Ask God to help take away any guilt you have, ask him to help your mother see she is driving every one away from her. If it were my mother I would sit down face to face and tell her your done with the situation, that your not visiting her any more. And it’s because of her anger issues and the way she treats her care givers. She may not remember your conversation but maybe confronting her will help elevate some of your guilt.
My husband has advanced dementia , so I understand patients can be very nasty , I’ve seen it first hand. So far my husband is like a small child in pull ups , but he minds every word I say. He was very abusive all during our 22 yrs together. It was bad up Until he had multiple strokes five years ago. We’ve been together 30 yrs now.
I hope for your sake everything works out for you and your family . Your not alone . Prayers for you and your mother. 🙏🙏🙏🌺🌹🌷
(2)

I know exactly how you feel. I can’t put it into words but my aging mother has also always been nasty and manipulative. It seems as though I am a trigger for her and as soon as she sees me she starts criticising me. She blames me for everything and tries to frame me, eg my son caught her throwing away some papers but she didn’t know he had seen her and said to him, ‘Look at what your mother is doing. She’s destroying my papers.’ She even called the police to complain about me.
Years ago there was an incident where a garden shed key went missing and she told the whole family that I had lost it, but my son found it ‘planted’ on top of grass cuttings in a dustbin.
Why does she behave like this, and why am I the target?
I have been trying to help her but the strain is too much.
(4)

Hithere, I have no solution. My mother definitely is similar. I believe she has personality disorder. But I have learned that mentally ill do these things that they blame on others. I had a new neighbor who cut my telephone lines. She had called the police to say someone cut her lines (our lines were connected). She had paranoid personality disorder. My mother has always taken my things, she also gets up in middle of night to straighten things or ie. move things, especially money. Then stuff goes missing, she blames and eventually we find. She even shoplifted. Supposedly doesn't remember, but she never remembers any of the despicable things she does. My brother is the only one on earth who shares this nightmare.
(3)

With qthe best will in the world, hate is so powerful. It is comfortable to live with. However it is wearing . What about not hearing the negativity, replying as though the snide remark was not that, but positive? Sometimes we wear. The face we wear because we cannot find a way of changing it. Change is always difficult, but if the initiative suggested elicits a positive response, it may open the door to .... my mother had her limitations, I opened the door, told her what I thought of her. She was stunned. The final comment from me, pregnant with her first grandchild, was the start of a better relationship, and when, years later, my sister told me mum said she would never forgive me for the things I had said, it did not matter any longer. Change can be positive, or the opposite. Get some psychological support if you intend trying.
(0)

I can relate to all that are experiencing this issue. My mom also has always been mean and disagreeable about everything. She currently is 95 and living on her own. My wife and I decided long ago we would not have this in our house. Nothing, and I mean nothing can be done for her except by a stranger. If a person she knows little about suggest something its ok. I told her years ago if she treated me and my family like we just walked up to her we would get along great.
I was adopted and had a wonderful Dad. My mother on the other hand always seemed to have a problem with me concerning everything. I always thought something was out of whack. When I got married the discourse continued. She made it clear she wanted nothing to do with us. Dad died first, he asked me what are we gonna do if we lose him first, I told him I'd suck it up and deal with it.
This women is the most unhappy, ungrateful , miserable person on the planet. I have tried everything and nothing works. Currently I call every other day and see her once a week. Less is so much better for me. Up until recently she was paying her own bills with a few minor mistakes, was'tworth it to try and talk about it.
Then she pays the lawn guy 4 months in advance. I tried to talk to her like Dad always did to include her. What a mistake. I even had all the checks printed and wanted her to understand everybody makes mistakes, no big deal, just need to fix the problem. Well she had beat around the bush for years concerning the adoption and finally said the worst day of her life was signing the papers for my adoption. I told her I knew this a long time ago.
I then told her she is not to write any more checks that she has no money she can get to. I went straight to the bank and brought my POA with me and changed all the accounts. To say she is pissed is a understatement. But this is what had to be done.
I reflect on this move often. The very description of insanity is do what you've always done and expect something different to happen. I did something different that day without the approval I could never get and felt so much better.
I can't do anything with her or for her. I am here just to pick up the pieces in the end.
(7)

i am the son-inlaw & i do everything possible to help her but i still get it...she only looks at me with hate...& she uses the worst foul language on anyone that tries to greet her or hug or even help her...
she is looking for diamonds or money under our beds..she speaks to people that are not there & even swears in front of our grandchildren..she call them bad names...help!!!
(0)

Has she always been like this? What does your wife say about all of this? Have you informed your mother in law's doctor about her speaking to people who aren't there? Why are you allowing your grandchildren to be verbally abused by this woman?
(2)

So glad to have found this forum. I am the first born and daughter. When my brother and I were children my dad had a drinking problem and was unkind to my mother. I was always the one to take care of her and comfort her. When dad was ill and dying, my husband and I moved nearby to help with the care. My brother was in the same town as mom but never stopped by or helped. Dad passed away 20 years ago and for all these years I have been driving my mother around, cooking for her, treating her to events and vacations, etc. My husband has been a saint and we would involve her in many, many things that we did. She is now 84 and getting forgetful. Recently, she let my brother and his wife move in with her "to help around the house." Both of them are unemployed alcoholics and live in my former bedroom. They are never seen doing anything in the yard or for that fact coming out of the house. They never eat with my mother, visit with her, take her anywhere nor have they taken responsibility for her on holidays. My sister-in-law rules my brother and I am afraid that she may be influencing my mother. I have caught my sister-in-law in several lies. It is a sick situation. To keep the peace, I have rarely said anything. Yet, my mother has become nasty and critical of me, has started talking in "we" when referring to situation at her house, and speaks in glowing terms of my brother. The situation is so toxic that I can hardly bear to call my mother or visit anymore. Today, again, my mother verbally attacked me for something that makes no sense and related to my brother. The holidays are coming up and this is my only family. My husband and I are just dreading it. I would like to disassociate myself from all of this but have a tremendous amount of guilt - yet at 59 years old I also feel that I have more than done my duty. Thanks for "listening."
(5)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter