My father past away and has said his last "goodnight."

Follow

I found this site a few months ago and have found a lot of support in reading about other experiences and getting responses from others. I wanted to let everyone know that last week my father lost his battle with pneumonia. If anyone would like to hear about any details, just ask. It's almost time to sleep here now, and I cannot describe how it aches me to not have him coming out of his room to give a little wave and say "goodnight."

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing

Comments

Show:
1 2 3
What wonderful reassurances from our loved ones gone on before us. We can treasure these brief visits forever. I've had a little visit too. There is no doubt; in our hearts we know we are blessed.
Not something we would redily admit to just anyone, but they are obviously more common than any of us thought before.
Thank you all for sharing and reafirming each other.
(0)

Twinkle, twinkle....Since my dad passed away back in May, three months ago yesterday (5-23-10) to be exact, Since his passing, I've seen a star up in the sky, all by itself shining brightly down on our home. My mom first mentioned it to me and then I told her yes I've seen that star a few nights, but it's not out every night and we decided it was my dad shining down on us. He was 82 years old and died of kidney disease, failure to thrive and severe dimentia, at least that's what was listed on the death certificate. This is my second post on this site!
(1)

Robert, Sorry for your loss! Memories of all the special times will be with you forever.
My dad passed when he was only 54. He had heart disease and was no longer supposed to smoke. Occasionally he would go down to the cellar and light up. I was in the cellar one day getting laundry, and smelled cigarette smoke. At first it freaked me out! Then I realized no one was there, and decided it was Dad sneaking a smoke! It was nice to know he was still around looking out for us.
(2)

Sorry, I did not understand your question. During the week there are 2 people who help me, one in the morning, one in the afternoon. I stay with my mother in the evenings and during weekends. In August I am most of the time alone with my mother, as the two helpers go on vacation. It's hard and I'm very tired... because I have to work in the same time. ( I translate so I can work at home, but I work anyway!)
(0)

I am alone with my mother all the weekends. (except from 2 hours that I keep for myself). My mother is not in the beginning stages. She does not know who I am, most of the time I am her sister. Today, she asked me a hundred times: "Where is my daughter? Where is Rossella?" I am used to it now, but the first times it was hard... The fist signs were about 5 years ago, so we made a long way!
(0)

I couldnt agree more, same with my dad and it was sudden. Do you have weekend time off, are you alone with your Mom? Sounds like your mom is in the beginning stages, its a long hard road but they are SO worth it.
Luvmom
(0)

Luvmom, I guess we have no choice... When I lost my father, he was only 70 and his head was very sharp. I thought it was terrible to lose him, at that time. Now I see the opposite, an 84 years old woman still in good health (as a whole) with her mind fading. I could not choose then, I cannot choose now. (in which way I have to lose my parents, I mean)
I guess we have to live day by day and that's all!
(0)

Thanks, I understand that it does give us hope. It so difficult with my Mom at times and to think Dad knows I am taking care of her is great. Lifes tough with her but we still have out laughs. I went away finally and she thought the caretaker was me, how sad. I love her so much and am losing her right in front of my eyes. Hugs to all you caretakers who are putting their lives on hold taking care of their parent, spouse , or child.
Luvmom
(0)

Not "at last". "at least".
Sorry
(0)

It's unrealistic, but if you follow this kind of stream you live much better... You really get help. This is my experience, at last. I like to be opened to every possibility!
(0)

1 2 3
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Related
Questions