Follow

Found this a bit heartening. But I guess it would depend on the position you're in.

https://nypost.com/2019/03/09/eight-surprising-facts-about-getting-old-in-america/

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Oh yes, CTTN, sleep, and walks in the woods, and trees to look at. They keep you healthier.
(1)

Absolutely to the coffee, cold air, and walking advice!

I would also add enough sleep and to be amongst the trees (I love walks in woods).
(3)

UsedupDIL - Wow! That gives me hope!!! I agree with the coffee and walking - and cold air as long as it isn't too cold.🥶
(2)

I have a great aunt who is 102 who still lives alone. Family visits frequently and great grandson keeps her walkways clear of ice and snow. She lives in town and walks to most places. She says coffee, cold air and walking keep her healthy.
(4)

cw - or are being cared for by family in the family's home. I don't think we can assume that they are independent, though some may be.
(1)

I just did a quick check of Canadian statistics - according to the 2016 census "one-third (32.0%) of people aged 85 and older lived in collective dwellings such as nursing homes and residences for senior citizens. This proportion grew to two-thirds (66.6%) among centenarians". Frankly I'm really impressed that a third of centenarians are still managing to live (more or less) independently.
(1)

They are a bit light, at least comparing it to the census bureau who collects these stats. I'm doing this from memory but I think they say it's 5% of people over 65 are in some sort of assisted long term care. As that article alluded to, the percentage ramps up with age. 65 is pretty young. By 95, 50% of people are in long term care.
(0)

The statistics quoted in the articles seem too good to be true. I suppose hanging around AC site too long could give me the impression of doom and gloom.

Still, I am a bit skeptical. The author didn't cite where the info came from. And most of the statistics were for the group of 65 and up. I wish there were more stats for 75, and 85 and up. Those might be more inline with what I read about everyday here on AC.
(0)

Nice! Thanks for the link.
(0)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter