Follow

Has anyone had strange, impossible to interpret, dreams of their loved ones after they passed?

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Jocelle, I so agree with you about not asking for answers you aren't ready for. They are indeed unstinting in their responses, our dreams. However, invaluable as well.
I also dream about our dogs, our two favorite elder girls especially.
(0)

I feel fortunate that I see the people I love that have died frequently especially my grandparents who took me in. I see my grandparents weekly. They’ve been gone over 25 years. I often see our previously passed dogs. If I want to see someone I ask every night before sleeping for them to show up. Within a couple nights, I will see them. These dream visitations make their being gone far easier to bear. I feel lucky in this.

I also want to echo another commenter. I can also ask for answers to questions in my dreams. I have learned the hard way to not ask questions for which I’m not prepared for the answers. The answers can be unstinting in their directness.

I also note that dream work takes practice. Like anything, getting good at it takes time.
(1)

My late dad has been in some dreams of mine since he passed. I couldn't dream for a week after he died, but he made the first dream I had since his passing. I dreamt we visited our favorite college team's basketball facility and we got to meet the head coach.

A few weeks later, I dreamt I was in my front yard and I saw him from a distance. He said hey to me, but before I could say hey to him, he vanished.

A friend who lost his brother not long after my dad's passing told me that when you have dreams with deceased loved ones, you're creating new memories with them.
(0)

I had a great relationship with both parents. Hard working, farmers who loved life and loved me. Neither showed their love in words but in deeds. Caregiving forces you to be the fixer. When death comes, it is the one thing you cannot control or “fix”. In my counseling we talk about the need to forgive yourself for that perceived failure. Yes, I know death is inevitable but I think my feelings show up in my dreams.

I want the wonderful dream where they smile and assure you that they are great. My dreams seem to be about my own reactions do her death, not “visits” that so many speak about.

I am sure as I learn to move on from the grief, my dreams will be less disturbing. Thank you all for the feedback.
(0)

Long ago, before electricity, people went to bed at dark and were entertained by their dreams. Often people dream/dreamt of dead relative thus the ideas of being haunted and ghosts arose. Usually a death is a disturbing event and dreams are disturbing. I agree with people sayin you might be able to interpret your dreams. What was your relationship like with your mother? Your father? Did you ever wish him dead, or the opposite. You tuck your mother in like a baby. Is that what she did for you or what you wished she would do? Is it all opposite- did you father tuck you in and was it your mother who was cold? Playing with your dreams may have you discover more about yourself
(0)

I love it when either of my parents appear in my dreams, even if it’s something strange. It gives me a smile when I wake up to think of them
(0)

I dream about my mother all the time. Nothing much to interpret.....just of her being around, cooking or talking or being present.

I had a dream about my father shortly after he died. I'd always find pennies and dimes on the ground, which I felt were sent from him. In my dream, he was smiling broadly, and laughing, standing up (he'd been wheelchair bound for the last year of his life), and holding out a shiny new penny towards me. He died in 2015 and I remember that dream like it happened yesterday. I believe it was a visitation from him, showing me it WAS him sending the pennies and that he was whole again.
(1)

Yes, almost weekly.

They are comforting and sweet.

My daddy passed 18 years ago and after a few years my KIDS were telling me they were dreaming of him--and their dreams were almost spot on to what mine were.

They didn't remember my dad from when he wasn't sick, so for them to dream of him in full health with hair! (he was bald from age 21(!) was a very specific kind of dream.

It bothered a couple of them, but for me?? I felt like I'd had a sweet visit from him.
(1)

My dreams are strange. It is my mom but not her usual self. Dressed in fashionable clothing, not speaking, not angry but not smiling. My mom was a simple woman and could care less about being in fashion. So, the mom in my dreams is nothing like the real mom other than her face. Very strange. I have struggled with her passing. I have read that dreams are sometimes manifestations of your anxiety. Perhaps it is that.
(0)

After my brother passed away, I had a dream that my mom and I went to visit him in the hospital. He was in his bed, in a hallway, the sheets were so white, and not a wrinkle in them. He told me he was better and had to go somewhere else. I turned my head, and when I looked back, he had disappeared.

My mom, I dreamt that I was standing outside her facility and I could see her standing up, (she hadn’t stood up in a year and a half) she was hugging her friends and she got in a car and drove away. I’m yelling she shouldn’t be driving!!
(1)

I have, but some I interpreted and others I didn't.

One was of a lifelong friend who had passed within the past year. We had occasionally talked about what happens to us after death, but in the dream, we were both very alive and enjoying a walk along a road. For some reason I felt compelled to look over my left shoulder. I saw a field of beautiful yellow flowers, and when I looked back at my friend, he'd disappeared. In the distance I could see a major highway with travelers on it, and I believed he'd reached there and was going with them.

A few months later, I went to my MIL's grave to see the new headstone. As I stood there, I again felt compelled to look over my left shoulder. There was a similar field of yellow flowers, much like the one I'd seen in my dream, but this one was real.
(2)

Mine are always EASY to interpret.
All of my dreams are and I consider them messages, interpretations of my feelings and etc. I often can interpret them best by simply repeating them to myself and key words will "pop" for me.
I dream of my brother often, and we are often doing things we loved to do together, exploring junk shops and antique malls. Sometimes we are exploring strange and new, almost alien cities (we are in new worlds) and sometimes a bit worried, more often peaceful and certain of ourselves in a way our anxiety complexes didn't always allow in life.
I love dreams. I can ask for "message dreams" and get them; I do that seldom as they can be a bit profound and scary in that.
(1)

I usually don't remember my dreams but I recently had a really weird one about both of my parents, basically I remember lovingly tucking my still living mom into bed beside my cold and very much dead father - yeah, I've no idea what was going on in that one.
(1)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter