Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
I would say it is time to look into an old folks home.
You do not need that nonsense and it is bad for your mental, physical and marrriagable live.
(1)

To everyone saying Korean Daughter should make dad go into a home, I don't believe that she can. The mom will fight this tooth and nail, probably like my mom would.
(1)

I see others have suggested an elder care attorney. That is my suggestion also. They will inform you of your rights and what can be done.

I do believe you can force your parents into care facility if they are declared incapacitated. You will need to get this documentation from the doctors so start now.

in my situation it too FOREVER. All the doctors did not want to give me this documentation even when it was obvious my mom could not take care of herself. Then to make it even more difficult to get this documentation, there was stupid clause in the trust that stated “incapacity had to be determined by a committee of two doctors and a priest. (My parents never took us to church once, so don’t know where that came from).

after months of fighting with the doctors and hours and hours of driving back and forth between her home and mine, numerous doctor appointments I finally got the letters from two of her doctors. But that didn’t help much because no facilities were accepting patients due to Covid.

whatever you decide you will do, start now with the lawyer. This is a long lengthy process to place someone in care facility (at least it was for me).

At least when your loved one is in a facility they have multiple personnel and tools and equipment to help. This is not a one person job and you have two people to care for.

good luck . I hope you find some relief soon.
(5)

KoreanDaughter: You are depleted. You can no longer carry on in this dynamic. Your parents apparently can't see eye to eye, to put it mildly. You cannot be their mediator. Your father requires a Memory Care facility as he is wandering with no knowledge of such.
(2)

Since your parents' problems are overwhelming, it may be time for them to move to assisted living. You need to take care of yourself and can't help them if you are not well.
(5)

You've had good advice from multiple people. You said your dad has "vascular dementia". That alone is good reason enough for admission to Memory Care.

His various and serious medical problems are not going to improve much, if at all. He may need hospitalization for any one of them soon. If he does, make sure any physician who sees him knows of the vascular dementia diagnosis and which doctor made that diagnosis. This might be another chance for you to find more appropriate care for him. Emphasize that you cannot care for him at home and that you fear for your mother's safety (don't forget to mention this)! If he is admitted to the hospital, ask to see a Social worker there. And don't let any of them intimidate you! Covid or not!

Don't neglect your own health. You cannot, if you are going to tackle these problems. (You will still need to decide about Mom). Many here will be thinking of you and praying for you!
(3)

First and foremost , find a CARETAKERS meeting … There is help out there and meetings help you find it. Also , knowing you are not alone , helps a lot. No one can do what you are doing alone. Check with your local Council on Aging …. They will be able to head you in the right direction. You might need legal help and help preparing for what comes next. Spend some time finding as much as you can about dementia , look up the word , Anosagnosia. . I their reality , there IS nothing wrong with them. They can’t be reasoned with . They don’t live in the same reality that we do . It can be infuriating. The more you learn the better you will understand . THEY can not change, it’s not that they won’t change, it’s that they CAN’T. For me , the more help I got for myself ( meetings, therapy and antidepressants ) enabled me to step back from the behavior that I took so personally. Life has been much easier .
(1)

My parents lived 3 houses away from me. When I was in my mid-40s their relationship significantly deteriorated and I had to constantly be the referee. It was a horrible position to be in. I swear I still have PTSD from the constant odd phone calls, drama, falls, fights, 911 calls. It went on for years. In my case my mom was the aggressor and my dad was beginning cognitive decline. There was also prescription drug abuse and alcohol use (not a good mix for 70 year olds). Anyway, I eventually had to place my dad in memory care for his own safety. Mom refused to consider any other option (such as in-home care). It was chaos. I am an only child and there was no one else to step in. I thought my life was over.

I do believe placing my dad in memory care probably caused him to die earlier than he would have. To me the blame is on my mom for that. He died in 2019 after 3 years in the facility. Now I am stuck with her but through some good fortune I was able to get the house sold in 2020, and because of her alcohol relapses she ended up in ER/hospital/skilled nursing/assisted living. Unfortunately the physical & occupational therapists have spent all of 2021 bringing her from wheelchair, to rigid walker, to rollator, and now a cane. Last year at this time she was in a wheelchair in memory care babbling nonsense, and now she is walking and wanting to live independently again.

I am not sure me or my marriage will survive another miraculous recovery on her part. I will be 55 in February. I have been stepping in and dealing with their sh*t since 2009.

I agree, parents are absolutely not supposed to be like this. I never imagined either one of my parents would end up living a decade, or possibly two, in such a state. A middle-aged person should not have to sacrifice health, career, marriage, happiness for unending years. This is not the way it was supposed to be. It's not like caring for a child. If my mom lives to the same age as her mom, this will continue until I am 71. So yes she will probably outlive me.
(4)

Every person is the master of his/her invironment.
(1)

Wow I really feel badly for your situation. I take care of my 75 year old mother who has dementia/ Alzheimer’s (she lives with my family of seven and my four dogs). It’s chaos constantly and she doesn’t help the situation by not helping with anything. She’s like another child. However your situation is multiplied plus you have the horrible fighting.

Withoit knowing your situation, I hate to give you my advice but it sounds like they would be better off in an assisted living situation where others can step in and help them. Is there a financial reason that they are not going into assisted-living? Are they refusing to go into assisted living?

perhaps now is the time to put your foot down and stop doing the things that you’ve been doing to enable them to be so dependent on you. Once they realize their needs are not being met, maybe they will come to the realization that assisted-living is what’s best for them. You could also tell them that you will not be a part of the situation if the fighting continues. This is not fair to you! I don’t think there’s any easy answer because I’m sure you love your parents and you want to help them. Walking away is probably not the right thing to do either, but stepping back a little might be what you need to do.
(1)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter