Follow

I was not sure if this is allowed, but I have my dogs, which keep my going a lot. Two are my ESA (legitimate ESA, I have been seen by a psychiatrist and have multiple mental health issues). Sky is my young little pup at 2 years old and a Chihuahua. She helps by licking my face and stopping my negative stimming behavior. Pepita is a Chihuahua/Pin mix and is about 8. She helps when I have anxiety attacks and have seizures (non-medical, just psychological) by sitting on my chest helping to control my breathing. Babygirl is a Japanese Chin and was Mark's birthday present and is 4, and she is there for love and to be a pet. She was a show dog and is beautiful and funny and loves to play. Those girls help keep me sane and they are bonding a lot with my mom who is up here helping me get things in order, especially Sky and Babygirl.

I have been taking Sky on walks, but really need a harness for her and maybe Pepita. Pepita has luxating patella which really only makes her walk bowlegged (can you believe the animal shelter wanted to put her down!)

OnceHatedDil, that's interesting as the only dogs allowed out of carriers are service dogs. My two dogs could be service dogs as they alert me when I am having an anxiety attack and one lays on my chest to give pressure therapy, but I would need them certified through an organization and I haven't had that done. Some places are more lax on dogs than others. Sky is 7 lbs and she is fearless. She believes she is a Doberman! LOL. When I first went to meet her she was at a dog park (mind you, she was six months and much smaller) chasing two big German Shepherds. Yep, she's fearless! Pepita has Min Pin in her, so she takes no guff either, but is 9 so is more mellow than Sky.
(1)

Especially when they have back up - my friend's rat terrier loved it when my friend took care of our big chocolate Lab. The rattie loved telling other dogs when they were "wrong", a Miss Manners of dogs. The chocolate was a protector sort and on their walks the little rat terrier's chest puffed way up and she barked "Wrong, Wrong, Wrong!" at any dog being walked and breaking her strict rules for proper leash behavior. On walks without the chocolate, she just did little huffs under her breath.
(1)

The tiny dogs are the sassiest ones. Once we saw a chihuahua barking at a horse on Mardi Gras day.

As the horse was prancing down St. Charles Avenue in the parade, a yippy yappy chihuahua started barking at him.
(2)

We saw two people walking either large French bulldogs or small bulldogs with ESA vests in the airport on leash without a carrier in sight. I wondered if the dogs had been able to sit at their feet or if they had to buy seats for the dogs?
(0)

Yes they are both registered ESA
(0)

Doggie,

Have you registered your dogs as emotional support dogs? If so, check the airline rules.

I know that you can’t be turned away by a landlord if you have registered them as emotional support animals.
(1)

I am very sad I can't have Babygirl right now as Mark is fighting tooth and nail for her. I did but her as a gift
(0)

I am going to have my ESA letter when we check in (you have to pay the pet fee at the check in) and tell them about my Asperger's to see if they will allow me to board early. I will see if they will allow the wheelchair assisted boarding.
(0)

DoggieMom86, my sister flew with my son's cat in a carrier. One of her friends urged her to do a wheelchair assisted boarding. My sister was glad she did, she might be hooked on wheelchair assistance boarding from here on out.
(1)

OncehatedDIL, yes my mother will be flying with me. She will have one dog and I will have the other.
(2)

DoggieMom86, is someone flying with you - the dogs will need two crates to be in the cabin yes?
(0)

Doggie,

Good luck with flying with your pooches.
(1)

I am nervous about flying, mainly because I have no flown with my dogs before. They are ESA, but there are no exceptions. I will be getting them used to the crates, but it helps that they sleep in crates (no doors) Sky is the main whiner and I won't be able to put her on my lap as they have to remain stowed, but I hope not too many people complain if she wines a bit. It is only an hour flight, so it is not long at all.
(1)

So glad you will get Babygirl at some point.
(0)

I am looking at leaving Babygirl with a relative temporarily as Mark is convinced he wants her. I figure he will see he cannot care for her and I will come get her.
(0)

What will happen to Babygirl?
(0)

So my new project is training the girls to be okay with an airline crate. They will sleep in the hard side crates at night, so it should be okay. I plan on using my secret weapon: peanut butter! 😂. They love PB so I will get them used to going in and out of the crate for a few days and then zipping it up. After a couple weeks, I will use this with airplane noise. I am going to ask my vet about a wee bit of trazadone, especially Sky as she is a whiner. I am getting them new blankets and some soft toys to.
(0)

I thought you might like to know my girls are doing well. Sky is the active one at only two. She leaps from chair to chair and loves to try and scratch a nest in my hair. Lol. Pepita is a sneaky girl and will be on your lap for belly rubs. My mom and her are becoming buddies. Sky and Pepita love to girl fight with a lot of growling and soft bites. Sky is brutal and will lock onto Pepita's tail 😂
(0)

Just a bit of dog comedy.

We have a male and female, our female is, of course, the dominant one, so much so that she has started hiking her back leg to mark territory. She learned from her brother, who is so tall that he would pee on a 6' tall humans knee, if he peed on a human.

People see this and can't believe their eyes. I get asked frequently, did she just hike her leg? Funniest dog behavior I have ever witnessed.

Thankfully she doesn't pee all over herself or it wouldn't be funny in the least.

Never a dull moment with jealous, competitive dogs.
(0)

We have a Chug,, a Pug Chi mix and she is my "tick" My Mom loved our DDs 4 lb chi, who visited us alot, so we decided to get our own small dog ,, just a bit bigger so Mom could see her better. Chloe and Mom were BFFs.. always snuggled on the couch and when Mom went to bed at 8 Chloe would go along with her, then come back down after Mom went to sleep. When Mom passed Chloe would still go upstairs to the bedroom at 8. took awhile to get past that. She is 6 now and we love her to death. My picture is Bella, the DDs chi. We also have several cats we take care of and love!
(2)

We also have a cat. We found her as a wee kitten in our woodshed and slowly earned her trust. Brought her indoors when we saw a coyote stalking her. She holds her own with the Danes. (and is more destructive.)
(2)

I love dogs, but we don't want the responsibility of dogs, when we go places I'd be like , we have to get home to , fluffy. Fluffy would take over are lives.

So we have 3 cats, they are great, love them to death.

Needshelp, I have a Golden Doodle, grand puppy.
(1)

So, the cat post on the forum has a bazillion posts. Let’s hear from the dog lovers! 🐕🦮🐩🐕‍🦺🐾🦴

I love both, dogs and cats. I don’t have either at the moment.

I my grandpup when he visits. He’s a gorgeous Siberian husky. Yes, I spoil him!
(1)

Our dog became my husband's best friend while I was away taking care of our son. I don't know what we would do without a dog in our family. We brought my son's cat to our home for a couple of weeks while we waited for my sister to come get him. A cat-less cat lover, sister had called "dibs" on my son's cat. Our dog didn't complain about bossed around by the cat - but was SO happy the day he realized the cat had left.

Their interactions were fun to watch. The cat was determined to control every bit of the dog's behavior. Bax is a big Labrador and he was fine to comply - but - at times he gets excited. Eventually the cat figured out he was just a happy fellow and stopped swiping him when he was excited. By the end of the visit, the dog would reach out with his nose to sneak a smell while walking past the cat and the cat just rolled his eyes.
(2)

I wish it was warm enough to open windows. I volunteer, foster and inevitably foster fail with a Great Dane rescue. I love my giant goofballs.
(1)

There is a cat thread on the forum, so why not start a dog thread?

My dogs are gone now but I considered them to be part of my family. I loved them dearly. I had a mini schnauzer and a greyhound.

So glad that your dogs are helping you. They sound like they have delightful personalities! Dogs are so smart. They are smarter than some people! 😝
(1)

I have a poodle named Bay (obviously), and she is nuts. Seriously. But she’s also super smart and adjusted so quickly and beautifully to my mom moving in with us. And my mom treasures her, loves to give her chicken. This is a difficult moment in my life, but the cast of characters, not least Bay Poodle, give me plenty of laughs and love.
(2)

So DoggieMom, thanks for telling us where your name comes from.
No reason you can't talk about dogs here! We have threads about cooking, reading, podcasts and just about anything else. So many dog lovers and not a few cat lovers here.
Me, I love them all.
And I will say the job of licking faces is right up a chi's alley, isn't it? I am telling you. Anyone wants a nostril cleaner or an ear monitor a chi is your pal. They sure are lickers. I have a foster chi/min pin or doxie mix in foster right now.
We no longer will get dogs of our own (we are 81 and 83 and don't want to leave them a problem for our kids to deal with) but we continue to foster and place and keep our hands (and hearts) in the mix in that way. Frieda is one I would honestly love to keep. Alas.

Glad to hear of your pals, and to hear they are a huge help to you.
(1)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter