Follow

I know many of us have seen great suffering with family members. I myself have visited a NH for nearly 2 years and there is so much mindless behavior shown by those who have entered a realm of total confusion. I just think she left this earth in a perfect way and I know I wish that for myself.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
She actually wasn’t groomed to be Queen, at least not at first. She was never meant to be a queen at all. Her father was second in line. It was King Edward VIII who was expected to reign. He abdicated to marry Wallis Simpson, so it went to her father, King George. Elizabeth was 10 when it happened.
(3)

She could have been incontinent for all anyone knows. The royals never air their dirty laundry intentionally unless a scandal forces the truth to come to light.
(0)

She left this world like the queen she was.
God bless Her Majesty and God save King Charles III.
(6)

I’ve always found her to be an amazing lady, the last of an amazing generation in many ways. Certainly a life of great privilege but also one of constant service and scrutiny, and carried out with dignity and class. And she did get a good ending. A doctor once told me humans were designed to live lives of hard physical work, then die suddenly and we’ve evolved into largely sedentary lives with long, slow deaths. Though the Queen didn’t have a life of physical labor, she was active throughout and she got the quick ending we’d all appreciate.
(4)

Like said her health was probably covered up. And really, its no ones business. She was 96! She probably started declining when she lost her husband. Even though she was groomed for her role as Queen, it had to be scary, at 27, to take over a role that Men are usually placed. And, I think she never stepped down because she knew that Charles would not make a good King. He should step down and allow William to take over. Really, he is 73. He also is not well liked by his subjects. The thing with Diana hurt him. And having an affair with Camilla and having it become public knowledge was not good.

Yes, she went peacefully. She reigned longer than any other King and Queen even Victoria. Just read in the world. 70 yrs from when her Dad died.
(3)

What a blessing for Queen Elizabeth and her family, both, that she kept her mind until the end.

Her last meeting with the new PM was such an inspiration, as were all her other meetings with previous PMs. She was genuinely interested in each of them, and didn’t let her own personal politics get in the way of showing kindness.

I remember getting up before dawn, to see Charles and Diana get married. I live on the east coast, so I hope to be able to watch The Queen’s funeral on Sept. 19th, at 5 a.m.
(3)

One little correction Alva - the queen's mother was also Elizabeth, queen Mary was her grandmother.

You beat me to it MJ929
(0)

Alva, the queen's grandmother was Mary. Her mother was Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon.

Here's some royal trivia I learned when I worked on The Queen Mary back in the 90s --

When a ship (or anything) is named for a royal, permission must be granted by the sovereign first. Cunard was building the biggest, most spectacular cruise ship ever. Cunard vessels traditionally had names that ended in "ia," including Lusitania, Mauretania, etc. (The White Star Line ships ended in "ic," including Titanic and Olympic. Cunard had recently merged with the struggling White Star Line, and it was felt the "ia" tradition should supercede the "ic" one for this first new ship.

The executives of Cunard/White Star approached King George V to ask permission to name their new superliner "Queen Victoria." They said to the king, "We would like to name our ship after England's greatest queen."

His reply was "My wife will be honored."

And that's how the Queen Mary became the most famous ocean liner ever to sail the seas. Her sister ship was the Queen Elizabeth, and all tradition went straight out the window.
(3)

She is the richest woman in the world. Was, that is. So there would be no problems with costs of care nor of supportive care in every way for herself and for the Prince prior to his death. What occurred in terms of any suffering would be kept very close to the chest by the royal family; they are not there to whine. Did anyone see the film The Madness of King George, where in the end he says to his son. Smile. Wave. It's what we are here for.
I still remember the coronation which happened when I was young. She has been THE Queen for this long time. It is the first that we saw close up, due to media, anything about the family tragedies that occurred. But as I said, that was cushioned by "not having to worry about money."
She did a great job for her people in my humble opinion. Read up on her DAD, as that was a man called upon by history to step up as a REAL hero to his people along with his wife, Mary--the Queen's mum.
I hope she was full of peace and that her end was gentle. She fulfilled her duty to her country admirably in my humble opinion. Some of the stories about her kindnesses to others are both cute and heartwarming. She is well remembered, was well loved. Who could ask for more?
(4)

Right on Fawnby. We can surmise mobility wasn’t the whole story as many of the appearances she canceled were virtual.

She didn’t have to quit her job, nor did her children or grands to take care of her. Neither she nor her family had to deal with hospice or questions of inheritance if family did not help or did.
(0)

Long life. Short illness. Went peacefully at home, surrounded by family.

That's a good a death that anyone can hope for.

But I too have that morbid curiousity to know what the final event was.. but as you say Fawnby, we may never know, and that's ok.

I think I remember part of a quote, something like "Every woman is entitled to a little mystery!"

RIP HRH Elizabeth R. To me you were like a public older Aunt or Grandmother figure we could share.
(2)

I’ve seen reports that when QE was hospitalized in November, 2021, she had awakened and was confused to the point where it was thought she had a mini stroke. It was also commented that she might have had a “blood cancer.” She might have had a major stroke at Balmoral. Look at her right hand in that last picture when she received the prime minister. It’s very discolored. We may never know what happened to take her out, and that’s okay.
(3)

Isn't it amazing that someone by fate had a very gifted life and death.
(2)

We know Elizabeth had more than mobility issues as a good number of meetings she canceled were virtual.
(0)

I agree RD. The Queen surely kept a good face on her right up to the last moments of her long life. A dignified end to a dignified life, it seems to me. No messy dementia, screaming with Sundowning, Depends stinking up the place, etc etc. We should all leave this life in such a graceful way.

RIP Elizabeth
(5)

Cover, did you see the picture of her with the new prime minister 2 days before she died? I don't know what your comment means. Anyway it is very different from what I see time after time in a NH.
(1)

So she was "walking dead"?
(1)

I am used to seeing people in their wheelchairs all the time. They are never standing. I don't doubt she was failing but still doing so admirably.

When my 92 year old mother who is completely bedbound asked what she died from I replied she was 96. I never want to end up like my mother.
(2)

Many of the meetings she canceled were virtual, so mobility can’t have been the whole issue.
(1)

I have the same "challenge". I think here today, living life and gone tomorrow is such a blessing.
(6)

Riverdale, I agree. She was a beautiful, caring woman that served her country with grace and charm.

I, too, said I pray that I can go out as peacefully and gracefully as she did.

A life well lived for others and an example for all.
(9)

After experiencing my mom's final years I find I have to stop myself from blurting out "how wonderful!" whenever I hear of someone who is seemingly fine one day and dead the next 🤔
(12)

I've never heard that one! Thanks!
(2)

My husband's grandmother lived to be 97. Had all of her mental faculties. Walked to church every day, and then to the grocery store dragging one of those old-fashioned shopping carts behind her. Lived in her own home with her 99-year-old husband, also with full use of his mental faculties. She did the grocery shopping; he did the cooking and they cleaned up together. They had no outside help other than one of their daughter's who lived 5 minutes away and checked in on the everyday/other day.

They were cleaning up from lunch, my husband's grandfather was in the kitchen, and his grandmother was in the dining room. She was laughing at one of his "dad" style jokes when she collapsed. She was dead before she hit the floor, either a stroke or an MI. No suffering, no lingering, no long hospitalizations or rehab centers.

I hope we ALL have a life and death like hers.
(11)

@notgoodenough

It's an old joke, but I thought it fit the moment
(1)

Sick, twisted and funny as hell!
(4)

When I go, I hope to go quietly in my sleep, like my grandfather did. Not screaming like the passengers in his car.
(7)

Elizabeth’s condition before she died has been addressed by the palace and the press, itself part of the public. Why can’t ordinary ppl discuss it?
(2)

Ordinary people can and will discuss and speculate about the Queen.
That is what makes them ordinary.
The Queen was an extraordinary lady.
(3)

Keep in mind they covered for her for a LONG time, just as they did with Prince Philip. I've no doubt she was still pretty sharp (I don't think Philip was), but her "mobility issues," as they liked to call them, was a tidy was of saying she was essentially wheelchair-bound or needed a walker at the very least. She was obviously able to stand for her final photo with the new prime minister, but I doubt she could do it for more than just a few minutes at most.

A lot of people appear to have a pretty tidy end when you aren't there day in and day out to see the decline. She had a sweet smile and bright eyes in that last photo, but she looked much diminished from how she looked in June at her Jubilee. I saw that picture and knew she wasn't long for the world. When the flesh just starts melting off, and you know things are going downhill fast.
(3)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter