Follow

We have an ENORMOUS amount of drive-by questions of late.

By that I mean we will get a question that is complex, that requires more information, that is complicated or too short or wordy and long.

We respond. We ask questions. We give opinions.

And we never hear a single solitary word from the OP. Not even a "like". Nothing. Crickets, as they say.

I have mentioned this in the past, but it is now ever so much worse.

People have said "well, perhaps they are busy, got what they needed, moved on". But to me, this makes absolutely no sense at all, and quite honestly it makes me question the reality of these questions. We will have a day with no new questions at all. Then, suddenly there is an airdrop of complex questions mixed with some that are just plain silly.

We answer.

And we then proceed for some days to talk to ourselves and one another over the Forum without a single response from the OP.

Just saying. This isn't really normal.

On the other hand, I likely just need another month off.

Let's see..............what to post this under?

How about "burnout".

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
I noticed just in the last few days (admittedly, I haven't been checking in as much lately) that there seems to be a few posts that the OP doesn't come back to later. There was one from someone who said they were fourteen years old and asking about her grandmother's behavior that did make me wonder if the admins have a way of determining the genuiness of the post.
(3)

I am with NY here. I too look to see how many responses there are and if OP has responded. I look to see who has responded because a lot of us "oldies" pretty much think alike. So
(4)

cwillie,

I BET they don't (want anyone questioning). No one likes questions. But it's good some still "persist"; (as in "she persisted"). Because you know, SOMEone's gotta do it (question things, that is; it will be a sad thing when we don't).

As to "policing". Oh, if ONLY! (hee hee). I would so love to!

Do rest assured, c., that our admins are fully capable of pulling the plug on anyone they find annoying, or not worthy of AC (it's been done before). I trust them to make that decision as regards me, at their pleasure, and as they deem best. To repeat: I Trust T-H-E-M to make the decision (speaking of policing).
(1)

I don't see anything suspicious about people not filling in their profiles, the security savvy and the younger generations know that the more identifying info that is readily available the more vulnerable you are. Frankly I find this constant speculation about the authenticity of our members cringe worthy, and I've said the same thing the last several times this came up. If you find something over-the-top unbelievable no one is forcing you to comment, and the moderators have made it clear they don't want/need you to police the forum.
(1)

I think us long-timers need to be more circumspect about answering questions and be skeptical when something doesn't pass the sniff test. Make the OP work a little harder to demonstrate that they have asked a question in good faith. I have always thought we had a lot of trolls especially those OPs who never changed any of their behaviors or choices based on the hundreds/thousands of answers they received. It was like a Lifetime Drama movie without an end. Anytime I see a question that has lots and lots of answers already, I check to see if the OP has responded. If they haven't or keep rationalizing that such-and-such won't work because they're special and we're idiots, I move on and don't answer.
(6)

cwillie,
I have never seen the level of non-responsiveness I see here. It seems odd to me that someone comes up with some very complex scenario, asks desperately for advice, and then is never seen again.
It makes no sense. Who would bother, to be frank, to write pages about a complex situation, and then just disappear into the ether?
(6)

I'm with you on this AlvaDeer. And it's typically those who have absolutely nothing listed under their personal profiles which makes it all the more suspicious.
Things that make you go hmmm.....
(5)

I think that social media is more of a quick soundbite for most people, it's this forum's longstanding members and the connections formed between members that are the exception and what has set it apart.
(2)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter