Follow
Find Care & Housing
We are paid by my mom
for her care, housing, etc. Do not take any money until you have a care contract in place. If your mom has funds now, anything she pays you without a contract will count as a gift if she applies for Medicaid one day. Get an elder care attorney to help you with the contract, and don’t be afraid to ask for the amount you feel appropriate. I have been surprised at how expensive it actually is to have mom here, plus I resent my situation way less since I started getting paid. Good luck!
(1)

Your guardianship may allow some compensation.
(0)

Look into Adult Foster Care programs in your state. If your mom is on Medicaid, she should qualify for these benefits. In my state anyone except a spouse can be paid $1500/month to provide in home care (your home or theirs).
(1)

I surely don't. As guardian you must have an attorney and do know that your guardianship PAYS FOR THAT from your mother's funds.

That's the best place to ask how you can work out a care contract, shared living expenses, what works best tax filing wise, and what compensation you get as guardian.
Make an appointment with an elder law attorney. Your mother's funds pay for this.
Being a guardian is very tough stuff with quite the demanding record keeping required, so this will be your opportunity to just check in and check up that you fully understand your fidiciary duties.

Good luck.
(1)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter