Follow

If you have a loved one in a facility on Premarin or other vaginal suppositories, be sure to direct the nurse not to overdo it. Our vaginal suppositories are inserted by a squeamish male nurse who hates it and the company really overdoes it. If the directions say to use it one to three times a week, the company forces him to do it to the max. It's really not necessary, because I've seen both women's genitals during toileting and they don't need it 3X a week. I don't think they even need it at all, really. Both ladies have told me they are uncomfortable with it being put in by a male - they ask me to stand by even though he is utterly ethical. One of the clients, being that she has severe dementia, starts to act out sexually after he inserts is. So, if you are family of women like these, be sure that vaginal suppositories are truly necessary. Healthcare is a strident business that takes everything to extremes to avoid lawsuits, etc... But you can direct your loved one's care plan.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
It happens.
(0)

There are other reasons for taking premarin than the ones listed below. One common reason is for a "plumping" of the mucous membranes that line the urethra. In certain cases incontinence problem can be helped, though rarely in my experience. There "may be" decreased incidence of heart problems according to studies tho increased chances of thrombosis and breast cancer (rare with the creams administered). In my own experience as a nurse it is EXCEPTIONALLY rare to see use of supp. and creams intravaginally in quite elderly women. Moreover, in my experience before retirement, in older women, to avoid confusion, women generally administered this medication.
(1)

How old are these ladies? You'd think they would be past the menopause symptoms.
(0)

Yes. I would have questioned the need for a vaginal suppository but some family have zero knowledge of medications and wouldn't even think to ask... I imagine this is especially true for the residents who have a male POA
(0)

Poor ladies! Still having hot flashes late in life, just hurts to think about it.
(0)

Premarin can be also be administered orally or by injection. Also there’s Estrace. Maybe these ladies are taking Premarin for hot flashes, not increased lubrication. So it might be good to find out why it was prescribed and then figure out what form of the medication is appropriate.
(0)

My MIL stopped her vaginal Premarin after her husband died. She had been prescribed Premarin for painful intercourse. She wasn't having sex anymore and didn't need it.
(0)

It isn't up to the nurses, they need to follow the directions of the prescribing physician. If you want to make changes or question the need then that's who you need to talk to.

Coming back to add - family who haven't been deeply involved in caring for the person may have no idea what Premarin even is or that it is administered vaginally, reviewing medications is something that a good DON should bring up in a care plan meeting.
(1)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter