Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
There is no way your SIL will be able to leave Jan 9 - how much longer is she going to stay? What happens WHEN MIL falls after SIL leaves? THat will be the decision that gets your MIL in to another living situation. Dorker - what a mess.
(2)

Dorker, ohh boy, I can really feel the frustration coming forth from your most recent post and Good, ya gotta let it out, but see, just this Little bit of interaction (after previously working so hard at extracting yourself from the situation) with your SIL asking for you to order "one more thing" for her, and BAM, you are sucked right back into that major anxious feeling all over again!

Wow, the power this family still holds over you, and I'm not saying that it is a bad thing, but still you have got to now put Every Single interaction onto your husband, and not even answer a phone call or a text from her, forward Everything to him!

This won't be forever, just during this period of time where they will have to forced into making the hard decisions regarding Their Mom. It doesn't seem even remotely possible that SIL is going to be leaving any time soon, at the very least I am praying she is trying to nurse her back to a point where she can take her back home with her, as her leaving her here, even in the best of care situations, is going to be an enormous amount of work for you and your husband (so YOU!!!).

While Nursing homes and Assisted Living places do the majority of the work, there is still a lot that they don't do, and I can't see you happy, back in the role as caregiver, errand girl, servant, and that is what you would be.

Please for your sake, back away, 100%, zero input, zero contact, it is the only way to force their hands into do the right thing, the only thing. Your MIL needs to go to where her daughter lives in whatever capacity, as who knows when your own Mom or Dad may need You to intervene on their healthcare needs and wellbeing, and its simply not fair to have this all on your shoulders.
(4)

Dorker, is there some particular reason why your SIL can't create a Prime account of her own? I really can't see that it wouldn't be more convenient for her to do this, then she can bugger about with her order to her heart's content without annoying the bejasus out of you.
(2)

Your SIL is putting Band-Aids on the Hindenburg. She is using teaspoons to pour water out of the Titanic. She's out there after a snowstorm with a fork!
(3)

Buy yourself the gift of giving your SIL an Amazon Prime membership. You'll probably save the cost on blood pressure medicine (or alcohol) alone.
(12)

Wish I knew what her plan is, I don't. I know she has Medicare, and then a BCBS supplement "F" .. supposedly the "best" there is. So I'm told. Whatever that means.

I feel like, the top of my head could blow off. Just so angry.

I don't know the bottom line here, .. I'm only surmising. I haven't asked. I'm not going to, for fear the top of my head will blow sky high when I hear the words I don't want to hear.

I know SIL had me order on my Prime account (via MIL's cc, which is on file there) .. a bedside thing .. so she can brace off to get up out of bed.

Since then, she sent me a text with a link .. wants this bath xfer chair ordered, as well as some bath matt.

I didn't ask .. "is that for your husband or for MIL". Didn't ask.

But that was soon followed with another text, informing me that if I hadn't ordered teh bath xfer chair, hold up .. that MIL is now balking at having to remove shower doors in the master shower .. to accomodate this xfer chair for her shower.

There was my answer, .. not for her husband, for MIL.

I wanted to ask, (top of my head blowing off at this point) ... "why are you now going to be .. and yes .. calling on your brother to come over and remove shower doors ... ??!!?!?......your mother DOES NOT NEED TO REMAIN IN THE HOME ......PERIOD ... the doctors TOLD her she needs to make other arrangements for her living setting .. you are aware of that, what part of that are you not getting??!!?!?!?".

I swear the top of my head is blowing off.

She will, without a doubt, be calling DH to come remove shower doors in MIL's master bath shower. I asked DH had he heard of that .. and no he hadn't. I informed him the call is coming. I know when he did that at my mom's house .. she merely wanted a new shower door, .. not for health reasons. The tile ... tile that had been there with the house since it was built back in the 80's .. the tile came with it .. now there was a need to try to match the tile to patch work it all back together.

That will be the situation with is mom's house (built in the 70's) .. and DH said of it, "I'm not removing the track though .. I will take the doors out if that's what they want .. but I'm not taking the track it sits on .. not removing that ...".

That will be the next point of contention as SIL then anguishes that the track then remaining there, yet one more thing for MIL to scrape herself up on .. as she looses her balance ...

ME over here screaming at the top of my lungs ... SHE DOES NOT NEED TO BE LIVING ALONE ANYMORE TO EVEN BE FALLING ............................. IN THAT HOUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTH is the matter with you?!?!?!?

One more device, one more accomodation . one more this, one more that.

All for what?

The next calamity is coming. It's a fact. There is no one here to sleep with her, .. around the clock and nurse her along .. what part of that are you not comprehending.

Her balance is absolutely atrocious ... she can't even walk into the bedroom and pull down a shade without falling .. she has fallen SEVERAL times .. what are you waiting for.

Hell the window has probably already closed on her ever being able to travel .. ever .... again. She can't stay strong long enough to make that trip.

Between the weeks and weeks of unexplained diahrea that plagued her that you nursed along for weeks and gave into her pleas not to have her hospitalized against doc wishes .. only to then find her hospitalized ...

Between the sessions of feeling she was "fading away' and ending up hospitalized ..

Between the UTI that landed her in the hospital

Between the other nasty fall she took , that had me and DH working around the clock to nurse her ...

All within the past year or so ...

What are you waiting for ...???!?!?!??

Is this all in an attempt to honor her wishes and leave her be in her home .. in spite of the nasty mess it will all become .. because it's coming .. and it's coming fast, .. and I can see that .. why can't you .. it's going to be horrible .... the window if it isn't already slammed shut, it is close to it.

Is this all because you want to honor her request at all costs ..even at the cost of some horrible GOD awful injury is that the basis of all this.

Or is it that you REALLY don't want to have to make a move in either direction, taking her to your home, or to AL ... what is it, what's at the root of all this.

You are nursing her back to health here, to what ..???...leave her again .. for what??!?!?

I am removed from it in the aspect I don't go over there, purposely. I don't even ask .. not really . .how are things progressing.

Removing myself, on purpose.

But then .. I get asked to order for them .. Because I have a Prime account on Amazon .. free shipping .. 2 day .. etc. The bath xfer chair .. and so that all comes up.

I just want to scream from the top of my lungs .. what the hell is wrong with everybody in this picture.

Maybe I'm the one that's insane here ... I'm the only one that seems to see any urgency in any of it .. that she is NOT FINE .. SHE DOES NOT MANAGE ...

But saying that falls on deaf ears .. in every direction .. as we place one more gadget, one more this or that .. all in this continued attempt to allow that she stay in place.

I guess .. I just have to work to resign myself .. yet again .. to save my own sanity .. nothing .. there is absolutely nothing .. she could fall and need 100 stitches in her face .. and broken bones every which way .. and they'd still .. one more gadget, one more this or that ... one more of this one more of that, .. bring her home to continue living alone ..

And underneath it all .. somewhere in there lies the ... oh I don't even know what you call it .. how to term it .. the underlying theme in it all. .. that they are passing the buck .. all in the hopes that Dorker will one day come to her senses and step up .. and even .. yes .. in the event she needs help toileting and xfer'ing from bed .. etc etc etc. Dorker will surely step back up at some point.
(3)

When I got to the hospital today, there was a printout from hospital financial about possible financial expenses due to FIL being classified as under observation. I'd been told he was in patient. So I asked to see the doctor, who showed up shortly after. He said that due to Dads age, CHF etc, he sees no problem reclassifying him as in patient. The surprise information was that as Dad has a BCBS Medicare Advantage plan, the insurance company can waive the three day rule. If Dad were under standard Medicare, the rule holds. The reason is that studies show that the old school three day rule is creating problems a couple ways. People are staying in hospital longer to meet the requirement. And people aren't getting needed follow up rehab because they don't satisfy the rule requirements. The rule started when it took so long to do tests, treat, etc. The rule hasn't kept up with changes in medicine. The Medicare Advantage plans are able to experiment with waiving the rule. I wonder if other insurance plans are also able to waive this. Dorker, tuck this info away just in case.
(7)

Ding, ding, ding!! We have a winner. CTTN, you got it. The passive aggressive siblings have been able in the past to involve Dorker so that MIL still got some degree of care, but the withdrawal months ago have ratcheted things up.
Dorker's DH laments the decline. He feels bad WATCHING his mother struggle. But the church....and hunting....and work.....
Dorker's SIL struggles to reverse the decline. Reminds me of MY MIL. Surely a medication, or medical procedure, or something will reverse the Parkinson's and incontinence and refusal to participate in PT....the doctors must have some secret formula to reverse the downward spiral and we just have not made the doctors tell us yet. But there is no magic pill to reverse CHF. Or aging. Or years of physical neglect and edema and diabetes poorly controlled. The need for Long term care is exactly that - care for more than an immediate accident and plans for the continued decline.
We all read and post here on this thread because we've been there, done that, not only got the T-shirt but probably traded it in a couple of times. Dorker the fixer kept the train going for years - the same way she kept house going, parents and husband and kids and grandkids going, work and his business office needs going....then Dorker hit the wall and reached out for support - endorsement of her feelings - maybe ideas to get the P-A siblings involved in long term planning. We've contributed ideas but mostly it's been endorsement that Dorker's not crazy and selfish. Neither of the siblings will change. The daily care needs of MIL are now scaring SIL and she's trying to figure out how to keep her in Florida. Wait for the "can't change her doctors and her church and her care professionals without causing her problems". If Dorker lifts a finger to call or copies paperwork, it will all be back in her lap. Which is fine if it's a CHOICE, not a resentment filled dump.
(7)

Perhaps your H and SIL are playing a game of chicken. Neither wants the responsibility of MIL. So SIL is waiting for H to say that he will take responsibility for MIL in FL, and H is (clearly!) waiting for SIL to haul MIL off to IL to become solely her problem, whether it be living in SIL's home or in a facility in IL.

I think your H will ultimately win this game, because it bothers SIL more when MIL isn't being attended to, correct? So that is why she is currently staying with MIL until the situation changes. H wins. SIL gets MIL.
(5)

We're getting some not normal freezing weather .. and chances of snow flurries (very very unusual for here). It won't stick, if we get any .. or if it does, it'll be nominal at best.

It did snow here, very light dusting a couple of decades ago .. enough to actually stick. Shut down the entire region .. airports closed, mass transit closed, roads closed, bridges all of it. We, Floridians aren't prepared for that kinda thing. We don't salt roads here, no equipment for it.

Local authorities are calling for all who aren't essential first responders to stay off the roads, and local gov't offices are closed for the day tomorrow.

I doubt any health professionals will rotate through in the next couple of days.

None of us are immune from power failures. Mine, in my area, failed last night, for about 30 minutes. Likely overloading the grid as so many of us crank up the heat here.

I'm just trying .. as best I can .. with MIL and the situation .. let SIL handle it, .. she would even if I tried to jump headlong into it all, she'd head it in whatever direction her personal agenda dictates. I'm staying out of it.

I stand by what I said, .. if MIL is left here, by SIL, having been (supposedly) nursed back to a "she's fine, she's managing" state of being. In the event of the net calamity .. 911 is on speed dial. I will, as I did the last time, rescue her dog for housing in my home .. and .. I won't be front and center at the hospital.

If she is to be discharged, there will be no one there to get those instructions .. all while I urge DH to be a bigger part of that than he would normally be, and urge that she be discharged to Rehab .. from a distance.

Staying out of it. Nothing I say or do, makes any difference at all, why bother.
(6)

Dorker, remember when MIL thought she might go up to SIL's after hurricane season, and then there would be something else to delay her move? So this illness is one of those delays. But what's your weather report as far as the ice storm that's coming from FL this week? Surely the PT and nurse won't visit during those days? The whole coast of GA has already been declared in a state of emergency and schools closed in advance. Here's another weather emergency and MIL is not protected from power outages!
(0)

You're so right. We forget as adults .. long-time adults .. we don't generally fall very much (hopefully). When we do, ouch .. indeed .. it does hurt .. and for days.

Funny story. A few years back. It doesn't generally get below freezing here, .. it does .. but not often. DH forgot to turn off the sprinklers outside. It dropped below freezing at night while we slept, .. the front porch had a nice glaze of thin ice coating it.

Didn't know that.

Sailed out to go to work, at 6 AM .. and swoosh ... azz end over tea kettle, .. down onto and bouncing along the first three steps out onto the concrete walkway .. on the ice.

I was sore for days, .. I remember thinking I'd maybe broken my elbow it hurt so bad.

Accused DH of having hired a lousy hit man .. if you want me "offed" that's not a good way to do it, I'm built to hearty for that!

No broken bones, .. but yowzaa .. it hurt .. for days.
(3)

I fell over not long ago (over the dog, in fact, not to drag up any grievances). For several days afterwards I was a very sad bunny indeed. Bruises hurt! - as do wrenched muscles and other bits you're not meant to land on. As adults we tend to forget that we don't bounce like we did when we were little, and I've got a couple of decades' advantage over poor old MIL.

But as long as there are no bones broken, she needs to be encouraged to grin and bear it because she must keep mobile, BB is right, otherwise she's a sitting duck for all sorts of nasties - pneumonia, pulmonary embolism from DVT, stroke. God forbid any of these should happen but she's not improving her chances by going back to bed.

On a more positive note, SIL will be better placed to mastermind a move if she's on site. There could be good developments from all this, in the end.
(4)

...and they won't take further action! Sorry---this struck a nerve. After a knee replacement mother had PT and OT coming to her home. She was doing terribly and no being in the least compliant. She also complained of so much pain, and that the family was being cruel to her--you name it. NOBODY so much as said a word to her surgeon or PCP that she was NOT progressing at all. Her PT was a sweet guy, but short of seeing actual ABUSE, he basically did his job and went on to the next patient.

I'm pretty sure all that he wrote on his records was 'Pt is a PIA.'
(2)

I appreciate the foretelling of scenarios others have seen. It helps me in the respect that none of the upcoming occurrences, should they occur .. will come as anything of an alarming surprise.

I agree, no need for me to say much. There are PT and OT and visiting nurse coming through there routinely. Surely, they know a whole lot more than I do. I guess, the wincing in pain and moaning .. and so forth, with every step taken .. *to be expected*...???

While maybe a bit concerning to those that love MIL, to be around it, .. maybe it's somewhat normal given the circumstances. One can only assume that to be the case, since the medical professionals that are rotating through there, haven't seen fit to take any further action.
(0)

I think I suggested going through MIL's PCP a few days ago.....I don't know if she actually needs to be seen, but the pain needs to be addressed, She simply will quit even trying to get up if the fear of pain is keeping her bedbound. Pneumonia is right around the corner.

DH or SIL can call the PCP's office, explain what's going on and ASK for her to be admitted to the hospital FOR PAIN RELIEF. After a horrific motorcycle accident, that's exactly what I did with DH. He could get control of the pain, so I hauled him to the Hospital, they did MORE workups and found he had burst an artery in his, well, buttcheek. It was a slow bleed that didn't show up for a week after the accident. I kicked up a real stink and they admitted him until they could get his pain under control. Also a 3rd blood transfusion.

I KNOW neither DH nor SIL will do this. So, I guess I am spitting in the wind. I'm just saying, there are ways top get her hospitalized and language to use to KEEP HER THERE.

Oh well, posting any new ideas on this board seem fruitless, but, Dorker, at least you know a lot of people have your back.
(5)

Yes, you're right, Surprise. Just thinking back to my mom, post stroke. She fell, xrays in ER, no break.

A week later, not able to bear weight, PT asked for new xrays. Yup, she had a break.

If you are old and have underlying heart and lung issues, if you don't move around enough, you develop pneumonia.

The way it works where I live, her PCP could order her admitted to the hospital where s/He has privileges .

I don't think Dorker should do anything at all. Just telling her the way to manage this when it's HER MOM.
(4)

Barb - If MIL gets pneumonia, mightn't that get her into the hospital for the three nights? I'd say hands off and let this run the course. Dorker has offered up her ideas only to be ignored, so why should she waste her breath? I agree with you in theory, but in practice, SIL won't do anything unless it's a crisis.

Dorker, I do enjoy the saga. It's so familiar, and I'm afraid many of us know what will happen next and in the long term. Hang in there - you are doing a great job with your boundaries!
(4)

PT can request further xrays be done. DH could call Mil's PCP and request hospitalization and a further workup of her pain and overall issues.

With her underlying issues, she's at very real risk of pneumonia.
(4)

Countrymouse, that wasn't only the inference, it was the stated reason, by SIL. So that SIL's husband would have accommodation in the other bathroom, as to his tremors and .. sometimes ... some slight balance issues also.

I'm not sure, and no one asked, MIL's bathroom, has grab bars at every possible point, including the shower. Why it is that BIL can't use that shower .. in the instance they might be worried he too, would slip and fall. No, I guess, easier to put DH to work, on the many rabbit holes SIL can conjure up.

DH has not yet performed the task of an add'l grab bar for the hall bath, bathtub .. he seems reluctant and annoyed at the prospect of entertaining the notion to do so. I stay out of it. I wouldn't know which end of a grab bar to do what with, to install it myself.

The light bulb in question, .. by which DH had to make another handyman trip out that way .. it is in some kinda housing up in the ceiling .. and thus ... not as easy as just changing a light bulb. Again, .. not my thing .. I haven't ever paid the 1st bit of attention to how it is there is light in that bathroom.

SIL does indicate she is staying beyond the plane reservation previously made, which would have had her departing on 1/09. Her husband however, will be departing .. he does some volunteer tax work for the seniors in the area where they live, and time for him to go do that. SIL will be staying to nurse her mother along. I don't know for how long. Only that DH had asked of her, what are her plans with regard to the situation .. his words, "Mother can't be left alone". SIL's response was somewhere in the range of, "going to see where we are with it all in a couple of weeks".

I would've asked more probing questions .. but don't suppose DH chose to do so.

I suspect that it will be longer than a couple of weeks. MIL has been so compromised for so long, and this fall she took .. while no broken bones (that we know of) ... is the very thing I've cautioned .. all along .. is going to happen (though I prefaced it there'd be broken bones, I was wrong).

DH was over there yesterday .. and he reports that his mom winces and in fact, groans and moans with every step (in pain) .. on the walker. She is .. at least, at this point, able to ambulate out of her bedroom .. which is more than was the case initially .. but SIL right there, .. every step she takes .. in case.

She doesn't stay out of her bed for long. Every action .. if she's getting up to come to the kitchen, or the den .. every single move she makes .. sounds like it's pretty damn painful .. and it wears her completely out to have done so. She doesn't stay up for long .. and is back in bed again.

DH was asking me, .. (I haven't been on scene there, so I don't know the extreme of it all, only what he tells me) .. "can PT order her back into the hospital, .. can't they call and say this woman is in agony here .. she needs to be hospitalized".

My answer to DH (though I haven't been witness to any of this) .. "PT can phone the physician .. the physician would have to order it, not a PT".

DH's response: "I think they need to, she is in so much pain ...".

My response: "From what your sister said .. there's no formal dx .. pain from being sore from a fall, isn't a dx .. that would warrant an inpatient stay .. that's why I tried to encourage your sister that she needs to tell them no one is there to care for her ... I don't know that it would've made any difference, but I think if it were me, I'd of tried it".

So that's where things are at present.
(4)

Only one, Rainmom. But it can take quite a while for her to find the right bulb.

So, Dorker, do I infer that SIL is thinking that she AND her husband will be needing to stay at MIL's home for long enough for her husband to need a grab rail over the bath tub? So... how long is this piece of string..?
(5)

I agree; MIL is going to be staying in her house for a while until the next crisis. I wonder just how long SIL will be able to stay this time to nurse her mother back to where she was? Sounds like it could be months...if ever.

Be sure to sidestep the potential landmine of MIL probably "preferring" that H not toilet and bathe her. That would be a way to reenlist your help on the scene. Be very firm that you will NOT do it!

(The next time my mother becomes helpless from a muscle strain, I will not help her bathe again -- fortunately I did NOT have to help her go to the toilet!. Her darling golden boy sons will have to take turns coming down here, or else she can hire in-home help. I don't care if she feels uncomfortable with the possibility of her sons helping her. If she wasn't so ungrateful and demanding of me, they wouldn't be expected to help her like that.)
(6)

It takes zero Sons in Law. Do it herself! Sorry, I'm also an inveterate fixer and Barb, you are right..sadly, this circus has a ringmaster (MIL) who hasn't a clue what to do.

And Mother is going to be staying there, for a while. Until the next drama, which, gosh, are we all hoping happens before the 9th? I don't think anything will wake up these two sibs.

Putting those grab bars in is HARD WORK. Good for DH for declining the "offer".
(5)

How many SIL’s does it take to change a lightbulb?
(7)

So quiet, because there's really nothing new to report. I know DH went out there and took a door off .. and put up a grab bar in it's place in the master bath .. and offered to take a shift off of SIL but she declined. I'm guessing that's because MIL is so infirm at this point, she needs help toileting .. and for her son to be relegated to that, not something she prefers. I don't know that to be the case, but I guess.

As he was leaving, SIL was approaching they need another grab bar installed in the hall bath . in the tub area .. for her husband ..

DH annoyed with this. DH's feeling, .. (and firmly my feeling) ... SHE ISN'T GOING TO BE HERE ...........................MOTHER IS NOT GOING TO BE STAYING HERE, .. all of this NOT necessary!". He ignored her pleas as to a grab bar in the hall bath .. bathtub area.

He hadn't been home maybe 2 hours before SIL texted again ... so so sorry .. but the light bulb in h
(3)

Mid; Dorker has no influence and no control over what happens with MIL. Which is why I say "Let it go......".

These ditzy sibs and their mom have made their bed. Dorker is resolved to leave if DH brings MIL to the Yellow Bedroom.

For those of us who are inveterate "fixers" (It took me a LONG time to get over this), it is a real wakeup call when we realize that something is out of our "locus of control".

With my own mom, I was often able to tweak things so that they were a little better. With my MIL, there was just no way. The dysfunction in my DH's family was just too deeply nested, and ANY attempt to jostle the boat was met with cries of "mutiny".

DH walked away when his mom threatened to call APS on him, because he told her that smoking with a dx of COPD was kinda like suicide. He realized that he didn't have the trust or the skillset to make any kind of difference in her life. He was sad, but resolved.

I think Dorker just needs to let the sibs figure it out.
(5)

So very quiet here for the past couple of days--good or bad?
(0)

"Let it go......."
(2)

The only experiences I've ever been anywhere near as to Rehab stints .. my mom's former husband and a hip replacement. He was otherwise mobile and much younger than these 80 some odds we're talking here, and so he didn't mind the grueling pace, I don't think .. all for the end-goal, get better and go home. All went well.

MIL's sister however, every bit as compromised as MIL is these days .. fell. Her stint in the hospital (back injury, though no broken bones) .. a Rehab discharge. I remember that no one could even really call her, because they had her out and about, I suppose PT .. I don't know .. throughout the day hours and at night, once she'd get back to her room, .. it was a shower ... assisted .. and dinner .. and she was DONE FOR ..exhausted. Beyond spent. I remember going to visit her there, .. she lived about 2 1/2 hours south of here. And it had to be on a weekend, as work days were spent in the above pursuits. She talked of how grueling it was there. I don't recall her beefing that she wanted out of there, NOW. Probably because at home, was her husband, who was in no way/shape/form able to help her, and her grown kids ... for their varying reasons .. also unable to be there and assist. She'd of gone home to no help and she was in no shape to do so. Much as MIL is these days .. only she has SIL there in attendance. Grinding that hamster wheel ever harder, all the time.

Yes, it was a shock .. to all involved that MIL was willing to go .. when Rehab discharge was mentioned. She has NEVER ...............did I say NEVER EVER .............. not once, been willing to do that.

In fact, she has a bad knee ... and I can't believe it, and DH fortunately prevailed (a winner of a TKR himself) ... intervened and said no way can she endure that .. no way in hell. There was talk about a year or so ago, that she would undergo (SIL at the helm of this) of a TKR for MIL. And get this ....she didn't want to go to Rehab and SIL thought that best, afterall ... "people are always more comfortable in their own home".

That was actually on the radar .. a TKR ... as recent as about a year ago. DH said about that endeavor, .. she is in no way a candidate for how grueling that process can be, as to the PT involved, no way in hell.

I haven't heard much more about it since. She just goes every 3 months for steroid shots to deal with the inflammation.

Even then, she didn't want to be remanded to a Rehab unit ... wanted to go home .. or she wouldn't sign on for it.

We were shocked when she said this time, that yes, she agrees a stint in rehab would be best. But it wasn't to be .. because of her "OBS" status at hospital admission.
(0)

I honestly don’t know if SIL is more at fault regarding some sort of placement than MIL. As you said - MIL was open to going to rehab this round.

However - chances are, that once MIL was in rehab - as soon as she started to feel a bit better, she would have demanded to go home. After all, that’s what most do once there. My own mom willing went to rehab after a nasty fall and the required hospital stay - but it only took a few hours to figure out it wasn’t gonna be a spa-like experience she was on the phone to me raising holy hell and demanding I come get her - and take her home to her beloved cat. A cat, I’d wager she loved every bit as much as MIL loves her dog.

This situation is just such a major cluster-F, isn’t it?

On a side note. If the bed rail turns out to be a bust - there are “stripper poles” designed for the elderly to use to hoist and leverage themselves. Almost all the folks at my moms NH had them - although my mom did not so I cant speak firsthand to their effectiveness. Still, like I said - almost everyone else used them.
(2)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter