Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
So, did SIL stay away from POSH yesterday and try to rest and get better? Did H go by POSH yesterday?
(3)

Oh my, I fear that MIL thought OD would be able to understand because of her struggles. Never a thought about how she affects anyone at this point.

Good job running interference and helping OD come to terms with grannies future.
(6)

Hugs to OD.

Dorker I think that was exactly right what you did to explain MILs situation as a financial one.

The simplest explanation is the best and it happens to be the truth.

Reality is very grounding.
(5)

CTTN, you're right. Yes. SIL dragged a dog in from her college days <eons ago>. Took off to go live her life. Left her dog behind with MIL & company who still had DH living at home, not yet launched.

Fast forward a few years, DH now launched.

The dog ultimately euthanized. At that point in MIL's journey, appendages were to be jettisoned. Now free of the last of any offspring at home and didn't want to be responsible for any other entity.

The very station I'm at and thus no interest in housing high maintenance Poochy on her behalf.

Thank goodness SIL is the way she is and doesn't hold a grudge that would be 40 years old at this point. Otherwise Poochy might meet that same fate.
(5)

I am sorry MIL has no filter with regards to OD.

Regarding SIL's over-the-top pampering of Poochy, it is surprising she does it. Wasn't it SIL's dog that MIL had euthanized because it was too much trouble years ago?
(3)

Ugh. Nothing I can do about it, in the end. But .. find it so troubling that MIL took her dark thoughts to OD and the fallout there.

OD .. with her own very real struggles to keep her head above true "DEPRESSION" as a part of her daily existence. And it's well known about OD . that she has been involuntarily detained several times . in a psych ward . (not recently thankfully) for homicide/suicide ideation. Her's are real struggles. And ones she is vocal about . she doesn't mind sharing her strife.

Doesn't come around a whole lot, a loner .. but .. when/if she is in the throes of her pits of despair you see even less of her...

She had gone to see her granny .. in the days (prior to broken hip) .. and her granny sharing with her, her own dark thoughts .. and how she ponders if she could've just taken her own life .. and so on.

This .. I now find out talking to OD .. who has surfaced .. I guess in a sense .. looking to me to explain why we all feel the need to lock granny away in a home, and her own tears .. as she struggles to watch her sweet old granny in such a sad state.

I wish her sad ole granny would keep her dark thoughts to herself. There was a time that granny was able to do that . and be the encouragement that OD needed. That ship has sailed. Long ago.

MIL has no filters anymore, nor is she of the ilk to be of "support" to anyone .. in her own misery and sorrow these days, at having to contemplate placement. That's all the poor ole soul can see, her own misery. Has no filter any longer to have any clarity that this particular soul .. "OD" is not one to confide these deep dark mentalities to.

There's nothing I can do about it, .. I can't sit sentry by MIL .. to make sure that all dialogue that might ensue is appropriate dialogue. OD is an adult . has been for a long time . and can come and go as she sees fit to see her granny.

Her granny, (fortunately) has not mentioned . not since she fell and broke her hip, any notion that she shouldn't have to do this. Unclear if that's because she too now realizes it's going to have to be her reality (doubtful) or if it's because breaking her hip has taken her to a whole new low as far as her health and well being . and so what happens tomorrow, is so out in front of the here and now . it's off her radar. Not clear. But whatever.

It's just .. it takes OD to a whole other level of low herself. But as I said to OD . "ya know . there's something you need to keep in mind here, .. she's had a good 15 or so years in that house . .she wouldn't of had . .were it not for the support of all of us ... and myself on the front of that .. when SIL wasn't here .. and .. her needs have increased . .and it's simple math . she can't pay for round the clock care in her home, and we can't either . .and none of us can throw away our lives to do it .. and so this is as it has to be".

I think in the end .. my talking to OD about it all, kind pulled her out of the doldrums she's experiencing in it all. I just wish that I somehow had an ability to limit what MIL shares as to her own despair, .. at least with OD. But there isn't .. I don't have that power.
(5)

Here it is, Dorker - your (thanks, Riverdale!) Aging Care Oscar!
🏆👵
(6)

And the title could simply be "The Mother In Law". You do deserve the Aging Care Oscar were there such a thing.

It is so kind of you to answer those of us(me) with the title again for SIL' s daughter. I did go back to the beginning and read the first 50 pages. I then felt I at least I had enough of the history to not be too annoying. It was fascinating reading.

Perish the thought but I sometimes wonder what we will all do when the leading participant is no longer with us.

I hope it provides you with what you need to continue this journey in the manner that suits you best.

I also can't really imagine SIL reporting here. I felt a glimmer of hope just before the fall when she was telling her mother what had to be regarding placement for the future. I do wish she would seek help. I find myself wondering what life was like growing up for the three offspring of MIL. Was there always an element of such need in whatever form that went unanswered?
(5)

Illustrated by Roz Chast!!!
(6)

A little late on the topic, but - perish any thought of removing this thread!

In fact, as others have mentioned- I honestly think there is real potential for a book. Some clever narratives and a little editing and it could serve as a valuable guide as what to do and what not to do when it comes to preparing for old age and in being a caregiver.
(5)

So, 7k posts and climbing. This family wins the trophy for The Most Dysfunctional. Hooray!

Im humbled, never won anything before.
(7)

Over 7000 comments on this thread now! 🎊🎈🎉
(4)

Oops. Should've been clearer. MIL was started on a low dose of anti depressant at POSH, prior to hip break.

As of yesterday also, as to MIL, POSH attending MD referring for counseling for MIL.

I agree SIL could use the same. I've told her SO many times, "you need to be on tranquilizers.. every day".

Yes, B is wiping Poochy backside numerous times daily. In fact, he can't do it, his hands tremble too much, but SIL doctoring at least 2 x's daily a recurring sore on poochy's gums. With every other plate she spins .. Poochy need yet another one.

And she says he wakes her *sometimes* at night to go out.

I guess on the night's she has camped out in the hospital with MIL, if Poochy needed out, maybe he succeeded in waking B. But in general a bomb detonating by his pillow wouldn't wake him. So not sure how all that works.
(3)

CTNN - I’m betting Poochys little bottom only gets a wipe these days if there’s an offending “Cling-on”. As well, I’d guess that Poochys needs to go out at night have diminished some... unless it’s sil taking Poochy out - or sil is directing B from anear.

But then again, I could be wrong.
(1)

Dorker.....NOOOOOO - don't delete this thread - please. Your writing style is so vivid and you explain all so clearly - I learn and learn and learn from you. We are beginning this whole saga anew with my mom and MIL - starting the worry about them living alone. You helped me so much with my dad's journey.

There are other forums for caregivers - maybe SIL can find one local to her in FL. We want to keep YOU.

Poor B and his sister _ your SIL seriously is going to have a stroke or something
(4)

Dorker - just needing to clarify, Posh doctor put sil on antidepressants? I know you’ve mentioned a wee antidepressant for Mil was started...
(1)

Wait a minute...attending POSH doctor has MIL on antidepressant and soon to be counseling, correct? I think at least some of us here think SIL could benefit from counseling, too.

I have a question...since MIL's been in the hospital and rehab, do SIL and B do all the ridiculous and unnecessary Poochy pampering? Does B wipe Poochys butt all the time? What will happen when B is at his sister's funeral? Can SIL and B ever get a good night's sleep with that dog's need to be let out multiple times during the night?
(3)

Dorker, do you mean the attending has started SIL on an antidepressent, or are you talking about MIL?
(1)

Fwiw, I've suggested to her several times to find a local support group for caregivers. Hasn't happened.

Also FWIW ... I remember suggesting to SIL way back when, talk to doc about referral for counseling and for anti depressant. That got ignored.

Now however, attending doc at POSH has her started on an anti depressant and has a referral for counseling to begin.
(3)

Does anyone seriously think Dorker's SIL is the kind of person who would take the time to come to the forum or go to a support group?
(3)

Dorker - I recommend you keep this thread for yourself. Direct SIL to a local support group. Most likely, SIL would want to be there by herself so she could spill all her thoughts freely.
(9)

Sad to hear about B's sister, Dorker. It might actually be for the best that he go alone... Perhaps the break will refresh him, and SIL will have one less worry on her own mind.

Sadly, this whole saga is so similar to how things went with my mom, all during the time this thread was created. Your thread was my nightly wind-down, after long days of dealing with the constant fire alarms. It was just me and my DH (who helped where he could) dealing with it, but must say that it did help me to vent to my out-of-state sisters on the phone, so hopefully you can continue to allow that, seeing it for what it is, and work through the frustration of it.

Because of my own experience, this is why I was so set against the return to FL. SIL would have been so much more comfortable handling this in her own domain. My fantasy thoughts of comfortably settling mom into a happy AL and backing off never materialized, beyond a few intermittent days at a time. The fire alarms never really backed off. It all only accelerated worse and worse until the sudden finale and the denoument of arrangements and legal stuff after, which has now just ended for me.

Also - I just don't feel that SIL sounds like the type to actually seek out and benefit from a forum. (could be wrong) Some people do, some just don't. I do admire us researchers, though - it is so very helpful! I'm sure you help SIL more than you know simply by planting the seeds of your wisdom. You get yourself well now, OK? <3
(8)

I agree that Dorker can't delete this thread. This thread is to support HER and not her H, her SIL, MIL or Poochy. Dorker.

SIL doesn't seem to be willing to change. An Internet community won't substitute for the psychological help that she so needs in her dealings with her narcissistic mother. Who's to say she would spend the time to participate? I don't think she would even want to participate.
(6)

Totally undersand Dorker! Keep it for yourself!
(4)

Dorker Could just try being honest, and tell SIL that this is Her "sounding board", which it is, a place she found for help 1 & 1/2 years ago with this very frustrating situation, and that there were times of severe frustration that she "let er rip", and vented some pretty angry posts, not all of which were "pretty" about SIL, but all of which has led her to this point, all in the vein of trying to get good care for MIL.

She could tell her that this place has been a godsend for her, an outlet to share and to vent, where she has established some very good and helpful online friendships, which I have found is difficult to truly explain to outsiders, until they see it for themselves (they just don't understand why I would wish to share my life with internet strangers, but SIL may find this site extremely helpful in many ways, and not only for this wonderful thread, but for so many others, and she could even start her own thread, "Caring for Mother from several states away", although that one has been done several times over the years.

I don"t recall many instances wher Dorker has reall lambasted SIL, told the truth, very fruatrated Yes, but not out and out disrespected her, as we all have our own version of the story, and SIL would have hers too, but I do see where Dorker would not like to share her sanctuary place, her quiet place to vent this whole Saga.

Too bad really, SIL could learn a lot from you all!
(4)

Ugh. I can't delete this thread. This has been my life-story for the last few years. And the lifeline to keeping me sane in a world that has driven me to near insanity.
(10)

I sobbed when I wrote that, CM. I'd have to find something to do with my life.
(5)

Dorker could create a second account with an alternate persona for venting ...,,
(5)

DELETE THE THREAD? THIS THREAD???

Wail!

But in such a good cause...

I don't know what I'll read all day but okay I second the motion.
(6)

Dorker, you might contact the admins to delete the thread, or modify or something.
(3)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter