Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
CTTN, like you, I have to think, she can't possibly be on any kind of leash .. and that she is looking to some kinda future absent the ball and chain of her mom's care that she's lived for the last several years. When I tell you that she would come here every few months .. she certainly did do that. The expense of that, .. the time constraints of that, .. all limiting her ability to do much of anything else, financially or otherwise.

I'm quite sure that she "hopes" to be able to carve out some kind of life outside of this .. going forward.

Gonna be quite the ordeal to achieve that if I know her. It's in her DNA .. to be part and parcel of her mom's care and well being ... she was even before she retired .. she'd come here over winter break .. she'd come here over spring break . come in the summer, and even . if her mom had some procedure scheduled that she'd be needing help .. she'd make arrangements to be absent at work, and be here.

For her to now turn and try to carve out a life outside of this is gonna be a feat like none other for someone made of her DNA.

Starting to see some of that right now. I can only surmise that maybe M got to her .. I don't know that to be the fact, . but sure seems like it .. and I can only hope that what we're seeing at present . for her sake, but also for her mom's sake .. is gonna take hold ..

Yesterday we were by to see his mom for a bit, DH and myself. SIL was there, she'd picked up a burger for her mom and had lunch with her, .. and she said she'd be leaving when PT arrives to get her . .and she did do so, .. talked to her later when we all had dinner out. She said of that notion.. "Important that she work with the PT staff and build some confidence .. she's absolutely terrified of getting UP .. and she needs to build some confidence, and I don't need to be in the middle of all that".

YUP .. HOORAY.

So then last night, we all met for dinner out ...

She was telling me that she'd left there at 3 or there about. But no sooner than she got in the door .. back to MIL's home, the phone was ringing. It was MIL.

MIL: "Can you come back over this way .. I just .. I don't feel right .. I have ....."

As she then went into her litany of complaints at present .. one of which is the diaper they have her in . .gets bunched up under her and is uncomfortable and she can't get it adjusted .. another one is she is constipated at present .. another complaint she has hemorrhoids ..

SIL telling me this .. that MIL called her, no sooner than she got home . and wanting her to come that way ..

I guess MIL maybe .. who knows . not cognizant of the fact that her daughter JUST LEFT THERE .. having been there for a few hours to visit. I dunno.

And it's not .. right next door, like she can say, "oh sure, let me pop right over there, be right there".

SIL said she answered this .. telling her mom . no . she can't .. that she just got home from being there, . .. that she is having to take care of Poochy (B is gone to St. Louis .. yes .. YD is around to do so .. but .. SIL's point .. I'm not running back and forth . not when there are paid professionals there . she needs to deal with the staff there, what am I gonna do about constipation and hemorrhoids). Said to her mom that she had Poochy to the vet the day before and he is now on a slew of meds to fix his gums issue .. and she has to take him for a walk, get him fed and get his meds in him . .and that no .. she's not coming back today .. that she needs to call for the nurse.

I guess this .. SIL got the sense . maybe it miffed her mom some .. and she offered to call the nurse for her mom .. her mom declined saying she'd call the nurse .. and I guess that pretty much ended all that.

Then her mom called her again.

All in all, she called SIL 3 x's .. and it sounds like there was some woe w/me .. in it all. That she even said to SIL .. "I'm trying to come to terms with the fact here that I will be ending my
(1)

Dorker, it will be interesting to see what's going to happen when (if?) SIL leaves town in May. And does it mean that she will be regularly coming back and forth?

As you know, my mother has traveled the hospitalization/rehab/permanent NH journey in the past 5 months. And you know I am most certainly NOT like SIL is/used to be in regards to doing everything and satisfying every "want" for MIL.

Yet, still, I sometimes say I'm on a short leash with the NH. Just yesterday, I got one of the calls that she was "agitated," wouldn't get up and dressed, wouldn't eat, wouldn't take her meds...so I had to high-tail it over there. One of my brothers was visiting, so we both went. And there have been other issues other times.

Who is going to be the one to be dealing with the facility where MIL is, be it Purgatory or We Are Family or wherever it is that she ends up? Is SIL going to attempt to manage this from afar? Is DH going to willingly slip that collar over his head so that he has to respond when the leash gets yanked?

(And I'm not entirely sure that MIL won't stage some of this to get attention from someone...if she knows that DH will come running if there is an issue, I don't put it past her to do this. My mother is now cognitively beyond being able to do this.)

I DO have a flexible job (I work for my H), so I am able to respond to these leash yankings. And of course I am now being paid for doing this.

I just hope YOU aren't the designated leash-wearer once SIL leaves town.
(5)

Oh y'all, I realized my youth had somehow slipped away when I saw Eric Clapton (teenage crush & bucket list) in concert & he had on orthopedic shoes. Sigh...
(12)

SIL has said since she got here, in February .. that she needs to return in May. Don't know precisely when in May, but that's the time-frame that has been mentioned.

I think this is due to some doc appts on their behalves.

The other day, .. a PT individual, when asked, "so if you had to guess, how long do you think she'll be here in Rehab?". The answer given was "maybe 4 weeks".

So .. we're talking into the mid of April before she gets outta there, if all goes as planned, I suppose.

Then there is Purgatory .. she'll go into wherever her Purgatory is .. for 30/60/90 days whatever that takes, to get the Medicaid approval.

And so .. you're talking .. it could feasibly be into July or thereabout before her final destination is achieved.

Does SIL intend to stay and see all that through . all while spinning plates and running hamster wheels? I don't think so ..

I do know that at present, .. now that she has her back into POSH .. it seems like she goes to "visit" .. and amazingly . that's all it is .. a "visit". She stays maybe a couple of hours (as opposed to all day and all night) . and then she leaves.

She said so herself, today . when DH and I went there to visit briefly .. she was there (had picked her mom up a burger from a favorite place her mom likes). She had lunch with her, grilled hamburger. And visited .. but .. staff came in .. talking of PT and they will be getting her at 3 PM. SIL said, she'd be heading out when PT comes . her words, .. "they need to work with her, and she needs to trust them and concentrate on what they're doing ... I don't need to be in the middle of it all".

We left before the 3 PM hour . but I suppose that's what she did do . when PT arrived, . she left.

That's what she did yesterday. Stopped in about lunch time, and left when PT arrived.

So I do think she is trying .. at present . (probably an enormous struggle for the Enabler of all Enablers) .. trying to pull back a degree or few.

I don't know if she intends to stay here to see Purgatory through and on into final placement. I doubt it though.

DH will have POA also at that point ... (he is on it now . but she's here .. it's an old old old POA done before their dad passed away and that was in 2003). But I guess that's still valid.

The atty I think is supposed to visit this week . at some point and get that all important signature on the POA and go with it. But .. in any event, . when that's done .. it will be both as co-sign for POA .. not a successive thing . they can either or sign anything that needs signature. Doesn't require both signatures.

So she can leave if she wishes. I'd imagine she'll stay here .. as we go into Purgatory .. and maybe some on that adjustment .. and then maybe go on home to IL .. and maybe when it's time to move on .. to wherever she will be .. maybe she'll return at that point also .. as to helping her to adjust ...

But I don't know that to be the case.

On another note . I haven't seen it happen .. I've been absent the whole thing, sans today .. due to being ill.

But accdg to DH and accdg to SIL both.. anytime PT comes to get her "up"... she is absolutely "TERRIFIED" ... so FRIGHTENED ............ it's awful .. or to put it as DH puts it, "IT'S RIDICULOUS .... SHE GASPS AND CARRIES ON SO . YOU'D THINK THEY WERE GONNA DROP HER OFF THE SIDE OF A BLDG 4 STORIES HIGH . HER GASPING SO .. IT'S RIDICULOUS".

I guess .. in one sense .. there's a plus to her having fallen and broken her hip .. she is now "AFRAID/TERRIFIED" to get up. Thus, won't do so .. unless being assisted!
(4)

Ah--

as far as your MIL ever returning to "baseline" meaning, how she was when she returned from IL in the bloom of health (sorry for the snark)....it's not going to happen.

You saw how much she tanked immediately upon arriving home--and that had nothing to do with anything but getting old. It's happening to all of us.

Is SIL ever going to go home again, or is she going to twirl plates and run the hamster wheel until MIL is no longer with us? I know there's still a lot to do to get MIL placed and somewhat acclimated, but honestly? as long as SIL is in the picture on a daily basis, her mom will NEVER get "better" and may require a higher level of care than she actually does, simply b/c the staff will (rightly) assume that SIL will be there daily doing a lot of THEIR jobs. MIL has to learn to accept the care that the staff provides, as nobody can keep up the 24/7 care she WANTS....

I can see SIL still there when hurricane season starts, which isn't that far off.

It isn't lost on ANYBODY that the health of ALL adults involved has been compromised since MIL's level of care has ramped up. Only B is OK, and honestly, with the meds he has to take to stay level, he probably is unaware of a lot of the minutiae.

With MIL recovering from the hip break, this is the time for SIL and DH to get all the paperwork done, plan for the future and get all the moving pieces in place. I hope they do in fact take advantage of this "quiet time". MIL is STUCK and that is good. They're just going to have to take a concerted plan of how to talk to MIL and be on the same page 100% going forth. (I have a brother who is SO Dr. no-shot he will NOT take a stand on anything....drives me insane.)

Yep, it's sad that MIL is now one of the people she so despised: old. She can choose to have some dignity or she can choose to age angrily--but the end result, she's not getting younger. But on the plus side, she doesn't seem to be aware of it, so that's 'good'--she can age without realizing it, I guess.

Hope your hacking cough is over soon--gosh, I hope everybody gets well. This has been a phenomenally bad winter for you all!!
(6)

I think Keith Richard's is great. I recently saw a documentary on him and he seemed almost humble.

That said Saturday Night Live said about him sometime ago when the world is over there will only be left cockroaches and Keith Richards. I almost imagine that might make him laugh.
(7)

Haha Midkid. Yes.

The Rolling Stones are touring presently and as you said Bucket List. Expensive!

But we are going. There will probably be lots of us 'over the hill gang' there.

As smart azz DD puts it

"The Wheelchair Tour brought to you by Geritol and Denturecream".

Or as YD puts it:

"Keith Richards!!!! Somebody needs to tell him he died .. he looks like he died and nobody told him".

Gotta love those young whipper snappers. (Not)
(7)

What a lot of funny comments! Feels good to laugh.
(2)

Dorker--

If you want to feel really old/unbearably hip at the same time, go see a Bob Dylan concert. I went with DH last year to a great venue--and OMGosh------loudest concert I have ever been to! After the warmup act there was a mass fiddling of hearing aids when ol' Bob comes out and turns it up to 11! By no means were we the youngest nor oldest people there--it was just such a surreal concert. I'd never pain that kind of coin to see him again, it was a "bucket list" kind of thing.

BTW, he wore sweatpants from Costco, probably 'cause they're comfy.
(5)

Funny story from a few years back.

DH and I had gone to a concert. Well known international recording artist, mostly from the 70's era.

Got to our seats as the venue began to fill with other concert goers, I noticed ... *gee sure are a lotta people coming in here that look too old to be coming to a concert, gray hair, etc*.

So much so I even leaned in and whispered to DH "Damn...lotta old folks here ... everybody's got gray hair here".

His response as he turned and looked at me: "have you looked in the mirror lately?!?!".

Point being ... population there, all middle agers or better. We're one of em!

Shock!
(11)

OR - ever have that moment when you’re driving in the car and you see your hands on the steering wheel... shock - and then say to yourself “When did I get my mothers hands?”
(7)

I wonder too if I will be the same way. I think of MIL and her view of herself and the world. Her not wanting to be around those "old" people. Her denial for so long, that things have changed and she can't do what she used to. She was driving when this thread began!
It just seems very hard for some of us to see ourselves realistically as we age.
I'm getting older. The world looks pretty much the same, as I "look out" through my same old eyes. But if I catch a view of the self-check camera screen at the grocery store, I'm pretty horrified!
(8)

OMG! I hope I don’t have IT!!!

Kinda like anorexia but instead of thinking that you’re fat - you think that you are still young...

I’ll be relating some incident to dh -

Me: “blah, blah, and this old lady from our neighborhood, blah, blah...”

dh: “Was it Mrs. X?”

Me: “No. This lady was old - I don’t know - maybe 50”.

Ummm... I’m 57

Sigh
(10)

Frazzled & patooski, I so needed to hear your stories today! This afternoon I was driving down a road going the speed limit of 45, when a car made a right turn in front of me and we were inches away from colliding! As I approached the intersection where I had a green light, I saw the driver looking to his right as he turned in to traffic. He never looked to his left which is where he should have looked because that is where oncoming traffic was coming from! He didn’t seem to notice he had almost hit me. I hit the horn for a good 15 seconds and he still seemed oblivious, didn’t seem to hear the horn. I changed lanes when he failed to accelerate past 30 MPH and that’s when I saw that it was an elderly man behind the wheel. This is terrible but at the time I was thinking “someone needs to get their grandpa off the road before he gets himself or someone else hurt”. And I wondered if he thought the horn was for someone else. Now I’m thinking that it’s entirely possible he has vision and or hearing issues and even if he had looked to his left, he still may not have seen me. I feel bad for getting mad now. Instead of letting road rage take over, I need to be more understanding.
(2)

Lol Patooski, your story about your dad reminded me of a similar situation with my mom when she started having problems with macular degeneration several years back, close to when she got to where she couldn't drive anymore. They were doing road construction on one of the main side roads here in town, and what was 4 lanes was narrowed down to 2, one going each way.

Well mom, not seeing well (but still convinced she could see okay to drive) pulled into the wrong lane into oncoming traffic, where a line of cars formed, honking at her to move. She started honking despite my protests and said, "What are these idiots doing? Get out of the way!" I had to wait for a word in edgewise to tell her that she was in the wrong lane and holding up traffic. She finally got over, but I still don't think she fully believed that she was the one in the way. I was just thankful to make it home in one piece!
(3)

My Dad at 88 was driving us home from a store -one of the last times he drove. It was snowing. The car ahead of us was going a little slower and as we approached you could see a little white haired man behind the wheel. My Dad "stepped on it", pulled around him and muttered "old fart!" as we passed. Me - gasp, cringe, sigh....
(8)

Lol. And yes ..at POSH prior to broken hip, there was a little old lady that hung out in the commons area ... would talk to anyone that would talk with her.

SIL Actually sat and chatted with her some. Encouraged MIL to meander out and talk to her. No deal. Not doing it.

One day ... that same old lady sauntering down the hall beckoning out loud "I want somebody to talk to, is there anybody that wants to talk". MIL heard this and responded "I'll talk to you".

So the woman did come in and sit down. MIL confirms what SIL found in the old lady, she is out of her mind with Dementia.

So much so that the woman swears she knows SIL from somewhere. SIL has never seen this lady before.

But Anyway... that time MIL did talk with an 'old person.
(5)

I like that EmilySue. Think I'll try it.

"Yea but look how long you got to be independent ... not like some others ... you worked HARD at it ..and got to be in your home well past when others had to have help... good for you ... you should be proud of that!"

I like it.
(7)

Dear Dorker, If MIL engages with personnel who come by doing their job, maybe she would engage with another rehab resident who "happened" to stop by. The staff may know just the person to get the conversational ball into play. Someone who can just pop their head in for a minute & start a little chit chat. MIL won't go to the lounge area, but maybe someone can come by her room. Very casually, very random. Kind of cruising the hall using their walker & pausing at the door " PT is trying to turn me into a distance walker. I told them the farthest I want to walk is the length of the buffet line" or some such nonsense & off walking again. No pressure. Next pass another quip. In a day or two MIL might anticipate the contact. Nothing ventured; nothing gained. If she talks the ears off of staff, it does seem she has a desire to connect. Good luck! I hope a way forward can be found to ease her self imposed isolation.
(5)

Oh - and people always had to seek my mom out, or come to her, in order for her to be at all social. Just like church lady, or the staff that MIL chats with. IF a fellow patient actually wheeled into MIL's room to chat, I would imagine a long chit-chat might follow. That is what happened with my mom, as there were a few residents that like to chat with newcomers. Takes all types, I guess. They are what they are... gotta love them. (or not). :-)
(1)

My mom was very much like MIL socially. Her main contacts were us (3 daughters), and a few relatives after dad died. We hated it - and tried to encourage her for years to expand her circle (mostly because of the pressure/dependence/guilting she did.) She also said lots of that same stuff that MIL does. But at least we 3 and our spouses came to the recognition of how she is fairly early, when we started squawking to each other about how she was driving us nuts!

I remember how we all laughed so hard when she started stating how much she has always prided herself on being an "independent woman." OMG - she was the total opposite, as we saw it! Always so dependent on our dad, and then us, to do everything for her! She couldn't even change a battery, or plug in a lamp!

Yeah, she squawked about being "different" from the others - called them the "old, old". (thought of herself as the "young-thinking old".) She would never choose to participate in any of the activities where she lived. (earlier - an Independent Living community for a while) But at the NH and family place, they did try to draw them out. About their only success was at enforced meals in the dining room. Hard to sit right there with others and not talk a little... So, Mom did start to establish a certain camaraderie with a few, chit-chatting away at meals, started to know some names and stories. There were a lot there, though, that meal times were their only social times, but it was enough really. Back mom would go to her room, her chair, her tv, her newspaper... but it was enough. Probably all she could really handle anyway.

When the supreme pity-party stuff would start, I did kind of tell her off in a way - by saying she was one of the few that WAS able to be independent as long as she had!
"Hey lady - you did a great job! Lots of your friends didn't stay "independent" as long as you have! Heck, many of them are long gone. You should be proud of yourself every day for getting this far! And - you were always surrounded by a loving family and still are. Wow - you have been special and blessed compared to so many others. What a great job you've done!"
haha - a little reverse psychology, maybe, cause it's hard to argue with praise. Might even make them think a little. I simply refused to indulge in the pity party.
(4)

Dorker, I think MIL is like my mom. I think they figured they'd have the physical ability to keep on with life as they always had. My maternal gpa was 98, still walking to the store for coffee a couple days before he took a nap and passed in his sleep. My mom assumed she'd have the same experience. Thing is when people fight the gradual changes of aging, it's a sudden shock when they hit that watershed moment. And since they don't acknowledge their own aging, they don't see that we're aging as well.

It is what it is with MIL and her emotional state going forward. You all can make her new residence homey, visit her and all. But she can choose her attitude like she chooses her clothes.
(6)

It's a real conundrum to watch it all in action.

For some reason . if a staff member comes by . she will chat them up .. and to the point you can see the staff person needs to get on with whatever they have to do .. and her chatty Kathy .. just talking away .. she will talk to them .. socialize with them . .the nurses, the PT .. the dietary folks .. etc etc.

But ask her to go out into the hallway (before her broken hip . when she was able to out into the hallway) .. and go see some of the other residents ambling about, go talk to them. You'd hear .. "No . I don't want to go talk to *those people* . those are *old people*".

How very age-ist of you!

But yet .. you scratch your head when you watch a dietary team member come by and her ask .. "so where are you from . you seem to have an accent". The person will answer, "Well actually I'm from south Africa". And then it's on . the two of them chatting it up .. to the point the person is getting antsy needing to get back to what they were doing. But can't escape the clutches of this old lady that wants to talk/talk/talk.

It's odd.
(3)

Back a week or so ago when we met with the atty .. and the SW was part of that meeting . .their SW that is part of the team, if you wish to utilize her services.

We'd indicated to her, that this specific case .. she is struggling .. MIGHTILY .. and may never get it .. that this is what has to occur. Saying to the SW .. that she's been in denial all her life about aging .. SIL joking .. "My dad had to go out and buy her a sports car for her 40th bday she was so depressed!". Expressing to the SW . .that it's not something she is taking laying down.

The SW said she can help . or try to .. that she's seen that before.

I asked her myself .. "So ... do they adjust eventually .. does it happen .. ???".

SW: "Some do .. some never do .. ".

Me: "Would you be able to put a percentage on it . how many actually do acclimate and adjust".

SW (with an iffy kinda face): "Truly .. it's about 50/50 to be honest with you.

We'd already expressed to the SW that she is someone who finds the "others" are "old people" and doesn't want to engage with "those old people". She is in denial . that she is one of them .. always has been.

SW: "Honestly .. whatever they've been all their lives . they will be in that setting .. if they were social and engaging with others . eventually they'll get over their little temper tantrum and engage and be part of things. If not .. if they were a loner all their lives .. that's usually what you'll see .. people don't generally change their character to suit the setting . not at that age".

I honestly didn't know how to even speak to that.

She has NOT NOT NOT been social .. for the last umpteen years .. in spite of our having tried to encourage it strongly. SHE HAS NOT!

Prior to that .. I was even trying to place it in my mind . .when did she STOP socializing . and I can't . not really.

I know when she and her husband were married, . .there were a few couples they'd socialize with occasionally .. not every weekend, not every day .. but on occasion. That was about the extent of socializing that I knew of them. I know in the years before I really was part of the scene .. she had her few g'friends and they'd pal around . do tennis . do lunches .. shopping . that kinda thing. But that's before I was around a lot.

So . then .. her husband died .. and .. ultimately . those couples they used to do things with . they too grew old . some portions thereof . dying off. So that went by the wayside.

Did she form new friendships beyond that? I guess kinda .. sorta.

She used to gather with a little ladies group .. weekly .. for bible study of sorts. And they'd do lunches out . and/or .. swap whose house they'd meet at. That was once weekly ..

But .. that too went by the wayside . as it got to be a matter that she never knew from one day to the next, if she was gonna wake up and be under the weather and not able to be participatory . and so she ultimately sent all them packing . just telling them to go on without her .. that she doesn't seem to be able to partake of their get togethers on any kind of consistent basis (and that was true).

I think they did continue to try to drop in on occasion . hoping to pull her back into their group . but it failed . and so they've long since gone on their way . that was years back.

Since then, there has been ZERO as to socializing .. until we got church lady to go by in the last year or so. That was it . as to anyone socializing . other than us . (me, DH and our daughters).

So on the one hand it makes sense what the SW said . if they were loners all their lives . don't expect them to become a social butterly .. or likewise.

But .. what was she? She certainly wasn't out every night for cocktails with the ladies club .. never was that social of a person. But she also DID used to . in her years past . socialize some.

But .. it was hard for me to peg just where she falls on that spectrum.
(2)

When we worked with a social worker for Mom she discouraged us from choosing one of the posh places where there was less dementia. She said that the elderly could be like middle schoolers, ostracizing and gossiping about those that were less capable. Maybe you could point out this downside to SIL when she talks about Posh Place. She wouldn't want to see her Mom ridiculed for her mental and physical disabilities.

We ended up choosing a posh place that supports people at all levels of dementia, until they need memory care for safety. Mom has moderate dementia, no short term memory, There are people who are sharper mentally, and those that are further along the dementia path. It is a good fit for her. We are very fortunate that Mom could self-pay. I hope you can find something suitable for your MIL
(8)

Dorker - it could be that your SIL does her thinking out loud and having you listen helps her sort through her thoughts. That might have been B's role also. You seem to be attuned to when to sit and make sympathetic noises and when to respond.

While I feel sorry for MIL - part of me wants to say "put on your big-girl panties and deal!!!" she reminds me of my aunt C - who wanted to always be the center of attention - so sad, so much to be sad about, and have everyone pitty her. She just enjoyed it. The sniffling into hankies, people patting her hand, quiet hushed tones, people tip toe around.

Her sister, J, had much more loss in her life but was one of the most cheerful, generous, and brave people I knew. She had arthritis so severe that she was hunched over and crippled but had a sharp mind. In the nursing home, her wheel chair as in the hallway and she greeted people going by, and prayed her rosary "I can still pray!" and often chatted with little children who came to visit an elder. Kids really liked her and didn't find her frightening. As she developed dementia and became lost in dementia - she kept working the rosary beads.

The pitty party sister C lived in a posh AL and then private nursing home, daughters fussing around, but always so sad, so sad........

It is attitude - but your MIL chooses the pitty party. She's likely not to change. These kinds drive me wild with impatience. Now you know what a heart hearted B - I am!!
(5)

Dorker you're the least cold-hearted person I think I've ever encountered!

Actually, I think you've got the opposite problem. You seem to feel what people feel too closely. Otherwise it would be a lot easier for you to pat MIL kindly on the head, say there-there, then go home and forget all about it.

90 year old self-contained lifelong depressives are not going to be joining in with the happy-clappies in the NH. That's okay. It is okay for MIL not to be okay.

My grandmother stopped eating when she was admitted (she was certainly rational. Also a paid-up member of the Voluntary Euthanasia Society). I wouldn't want to call MIL's bluff when it comes to whether she really wants to end it all.
(4)

"the PT person said .. she doesn't think she's ever encountered someone as deeply darkly depressed over all this .. as she did in MIL (this her prior stay there at POSH, before she broke her hip)."

MIL's putting on the drama for anyone who will listen, eh?

I wonder how the drama demo worked for SW Jessica and the attorney?
(6)

Dorker,

My granny did acclimate well to NH life at 90. But, she was social before and continued to be after she was placed. She joined in in all activities, parties, contest.

I would think for people that enjoy a more solitary life the transition would be miserable. I think that is what you guys are seeing.

I am glad SIL has a sounding board. She really needs someone to be able talk to, think out loud and come to peace with all this. I really hate that being that sounding board frustrates you and gets you so wound up. I agree I don’t think DH and BIL would be very effective sounding boards.
(5)

Dorker, just out of curiosity, why can't you say what you want? Get rid of the anger and tell MIL.

If you can't because she is not mentally there, then you have to change your expectations with this.

I think that you enabled her to enjoy many years she would not have had in her home and that gives you the right to take her hand and say, look we gotta talk.

To bad someone didn't tell her that she would have to get in front of the truck all on her own, no pushing wheel chairs into on coming traffic. Might have shifted the responsibility she was putting on her children at that point right back on her.

I suppose when you have a fun loving, vibrant mom that brings joy and happiness to the whole family it is hard. That's what her children are facing, their mom always managed and they never thought she wouldn't, it's that whole attitude that oh it will be better tomorrow and tomorrow never arrives for some things.
(4)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter