Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
1 2 3 4 5
Captain, we all need a few new demons, it keeps life interesting....
(0)

Keep your demons close and the rest of us closer.
(2)

Don't forget when it comes to a *private* website, which Agingcare is, they can put into place whatever rules they want regarding what can or cannot be posted. Same with other private websites such a newspapers, ESPN, etc. that have blogs.
(0)

Hey GA, tnx for the info. Your example of the people standing outside of Walmart (used to work there) made complete sense to me. I understand how reposting could shut down a site, although it seems it would take tens of thousands. So many people with too much time on their hands. The only reason I can think of that would make them want to shut us down is that they are jealous of the REAL friendships that are made here. If only they could spend a day or so in our shoes, they might not be so jealous, huh. Hey maybe we could find a way to ask them to spend some of that free time with our respective LOs and we could get a break ];-)).
Several people commented that they consider the 'regulars' on this site as friends. I feel the same way. Scarlett O'Hara said " I have always depended on the kindness of strangers" Yes, we are strangers to each other, in that we have never met. But we are friends in ways that not all are lucky enough to share. This horrifying illness has brought us together and made us the very definition of "friend"
And I think I have become the definition of ' long winded'
Love to you all and remember " MEAN PEOPLE SUCK"
(2)

Luanner, it was Blanche DuBois in Tennessee Williams' play, A Streetcar Named Desire, who said that about depending on the kindness of strangers, but otherwise you're right.
(2)

Two great productions I need to see again. I am not even sure I have ever seen Streetcar Named Desire all the way through.
(0)

I always go by the "take what you want and leave the rest" attitude. We all need something different. Some are sicker than others. I do not post often but read postings everyday. It does help to know I'm not a alone in the insane world of caregiving and when I'm "feeling sorry for myself" i can come here and reassure myself that it's all going to be ok.....
(5)

SoDoneWithThat, If I remember correctly Marlon Brando was in one of the StreetCar productions. His presence alone is worth watching it!

Luanner, glad the analogy could help. As to why people troll, shutdown websites or even hack, I think it's more than just having time on their hands from not having legitimate jobs. There's a criminal intent involved with these people.

Have you ever read about the attacks on American government sites? The DOD, SOS, Los Alamos and others have been hacked, some by the Chinese. I've read that the Russians are busy hacking as well. That's only the government attacks - what about all the scumbags who hack banks and financial institutions and steal thousands of credit card numbers?

Unfortunately, I suppose there will always be a criminal element too lazy or stupid to do legitimate work and which will find ways to behave in socially unacceptable ways that could affect all of us.

The more I've been on this site the more I'm begining to realize that there are more trolls here than on any forum on which I've spent time. I think the topics discussed are ripe for troll attacks, and this is also a predominantly female forum, so the responses are almost always sympathic and supportive rather than suspicion that we're being played.
(0)

Sodone: OOOpps
GA: See if you can locate a post with the title" Burnt out ...And only two weeks"
I don't have a name for the poster. Tell me what you think.
(0)

It's written in a style that seems familiar, and yet the poster's name is different. Is that what you meant?
(0)

What I find disappointing is when someone like Dusty claims the site is demon-infested, pagan, is not a charity or non-profit (where does it say that it IS not for profit?), and is populating her computer with ads - but when someone takes the time to explain in very basic terms how to fix the problems she's experiencing with her computer....well then, all of a sudden she's a researcher and systems analyst at the biggest computer company in the world. Interesting. Yet, despite all this various and sundry experience she claims to have, she has no idea how to remove adware and malware from her own computer and blames it on this site - or on demons - or both. And if we try to bring her back to reality, then WE are demonic, jealous, alcoholics or all of the above. At one point not long ago, Dusty was claiming she never cleaned the house, just walked over the trash and debris, was not answering the phone or the door because she feared the bill collectors because she wasn't paying the bills, and that her mother was crazy and she couldn't stand to be around her. Then she was a former Wall Street stock broker turned day trader. Now she's a former employee at a big computer firm.

I truly fear for her mother's safety, if she actually *is* caring for her mother. This person is truly disturbed and needs serious help.
(2)

Plus her mother is supposedly worth millions. So Dust says anyway ;)
(2)

Who knows? It could be true. The image that comes to my mind is Big Edie and Little Edie from Grey Gardens.
(3)

Have any of you seen "August Osage County" with Julia Roberts? Talk about a dysfunctional family. Some scenes really hit home.
(1)

you guys think this site has some nuts -- you should try the hepc site back when we all took interferon . wow .. up to 25 % stopped treatment because their minds cracked ..
(1)

SoDone: Exactly... poster is very dramatic, says two weeks, 24/7 but is often not there...cant be reached by phone. All of what she talks about could not happen in that time frame. Sounds much like another poster or should I say poser from just a couple of weeks ago. Like Dusty the info changes with the answers. Like how much drama can she add and we will still pay attention and still offer help. Just sayin. Maybe getting her script from Grey Gardens. I just hate feeling like Im being had.

And speaking of scripts ...Loved Osage County. They put the fun in dysfunctional, as they say.
(1)

Wow...I'm laughing so hard right now, especially at some of the posts by Sodone, LadeeM, Jessiebelle, and Captain! Been through a rough patch recently and really needed a good belly laugh - thanks guys!

I LOVE this site because I believe most of the folks on here ARE real......good, kind, caring, stressed out, bone-weary, solid, down-to-earth real. I think of many of you as Kindred Hearts too (well said A&A!) I've been "away" for a few weeks because I tend to get too emotionally invested and sometimes need to just step back for a while. Before I did that though I also found myself getting more and more confused and upset by a certain aforementioned (hopefully gone by now?) poster. I didn't know what to think!...just when I wanted to reach through my computer screen and b***h-slap her for being cold and mean-spirited toward someone I'd read another post from her that was actually pretty nice. One minute she seemed sensitive and insightful, the next she was ranting about the "end of times". I kept waffling between feeling sympathetic toward her, thinking wow! what a tough life she's had!....and rolling my eyes (as if she could see me) and saying "oh puh-leez! Get OVER yourself!" She claimed her mother was independently wealthy, yet she had the poor woman living with her in what she continually described as nothing short of a hovel, relying on food stamps and avoiding debt collectors. It didn't make any sense!! She spoke several times about being dissatisfied with AC and wanting to leave, but then she kept coming back! A few times I felt the urge to write an angry response after reading another one of her "holier-than-thou" posts. But I kept thinking about a sign I'd seen somewhere: "Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always." I've had a little (emphasis on "little") experience with mental illness (my daughter's ex was bi-polar) and I got a sense that might be at the source of her erratic behavior. I also got a sense that maybe the "angry reaction" was exactly what she was fishing for, so I chose not to bite. I still felt like there was something hinky about her, but I also thought I was the only one, and maybe I was just reading too much into it. I'm glad (and relieved) to see how many of you shared the same misgivings I had. For me, it's just further validation that I'm in the right place. You guys are the best! ((((((HUGS))))) to all my *real* fellow caregivers! And I too hope Dusty gets some help.

BTW, I'm thinking of starting my own line of "Demon-B-Gone!" computer software. Think I may be on the verge of something really big here. Anybody want in?
(4)

Lots of nutbars in this world wherever you are. I live in the middle of nowhere, one house across the road and, yep, nutbars. A couple about 60, no kids. He goes to work, she never leaves the property - never comes out of the house until he comes home. He's decent, she's a raving bible thumping looney tune - every word out of her mouth is the bible, satan, conspiracy theories, never come across anyone like it. Dare to disagree or try to change the subject she'd start screaming and leaping up and down. They drink like fish and smoke like chimneys but they're oh so religious ... ahem.

One afternoon last summer I snapped and threw her screaming *ss off my front lawn. Problem solved. I know she spies on me but I park out back all summer so she can't see what I'm doing - must make her crazier lol. Could be Dusty is my neighbour but no, she wouldn't go anywhere like AC as even Facebook is run by the CIA {rolling eyes}. Toxic people have no place in my life thanks.
(4)

Yaya, good idea! We have anti-malware, anti-spyware, why not anti-demonware!
(1)

Ashlynne - your "nutbar" rant got me laughing all over again! Love it!

GA - maybe I should start working out stock options? I'm not all that "stock savvy" though....know anyone with Wall Street experience? Hmmmmm....
(1)

Ashlynne, oh, no, don't get me started on who can help out with the IPO!!
(0)

All I can say is that you guys are very sharp observers. I keep falling hook, line and sinker when I read here. Then I feel bad that I fell for it. Then I remind myself that maybe other readers would benefit from our postings and ignore the condemner.
(2)

Bookluvr, I've fallen, or misread, several of what I now think are troll posts. I think anyone who's compassionate and sympathetic will assume that the posts here are legitimate. I think it's basic to human nature to assume the best in people.

It's only now that I'm beginning to realize some are not legitimate, may be multiple alter egos, some are game playing, and who knows what the rest are.

It's a testament to THEIR dishonesty and other failings, not to ours that we didn't see their bad intents.

So just pat yourself on the back for being compassionate and not suspicious!
(3)

Assandache7, There are so many legitimate disappointments in life, I hope you don't let this get you down and I have heard it said before "opinions are like bellybuttons, we all have one". I am new to this site and so grateful for all the support, kindness, and a new perspective on my own life and roll. This site and all the wonderful caregivers and their post helps me to see "both sides of the coin" and has me thinking, well lol Thinking! (That in itself is a good thing, right? I hope anyway) I never realized or thought that maybe anyone would be hurt or for lack of a better word, turned off or upset of the "GOD" factor or about being more patient and loving. I have seen more feelings come into play that I don't think I would have ever considered on my own, that has opened my ears, eyes and my heart in such a way that I am so awe struck. I never even knew what any of this stuff was till one day looking for answers, came across AC. All these (10) years of looking after my 93 year old neighbor the last couple of years I thought he was just being mean and hurtful or putting on an act, and also I have a better understanding of my grandfather in his last years towards me. I believe there is (unfortunately) more real out here than fake, and thank you all so much for being here... P.S. I have posted links on this site but I assure only what I visited my self first and only to information that I hope could answer or help as is the least I could do to give back to the AC community as I do have some time to share and if I don't know something I can look it up for those who have less time... HUGS to all of you and THANK YOU ALL so MUCH for all you have done for me in such a short time.... PPS in the upper right hand of your browser tool bar, click on safety, and the third one down, click on "turn on tracking protection", I will submit to Microsoft to put a button to click on that says "no soliciting" LOL with you... Thanks!
(2)

Ha!! I called it yesterday...
(0)

if these sites cant allow targeted advertising by the use of drop words , wed have to pay a membership -- which history shows we will not do .
i tried your safety tip shelie , didnt get much from it ..
(2)

Sheila, you just reminded me of a saying I used on my sister some time back. "Excuses are like assholes, everyone has them and they all stink" What a great saying. I actually have myself laughing.
(1)

Can someone please explain to me what sodonewithsal me
(0)

*meant?
(0)

All waaaay to funny... Captain I'm not sure if this is the right place for posting this here for you but maybe it will help others to. The "turn tracking protection on" is of course a MS windows option, also in the upper right hand corner, tools, down to internet options and at the top click on privacy and you will want that slider to be set at medium which will block 3rd party without your consent, and make sure your pop up blocker in turned ON. I am writing this thinking that someone may not know the steps to take for these settings from the beginning so let me know if this works for you or if you would like some more options, just let me know, I just learned I could click on the name of poster and leave a message, LOL ... Captain I like some of the adds and understand about sponsorship myself but it depends on what I am doing at the time on the computer, there is a time and place for everything, but I have not seen any out of place ads on this site... and for those interested or do not know about windows defender, click on start, then control panel (depending on your windows version) look for windows defender and it will automatically look for and clean out any and all mal ware, it is really good... Thanks Sallie Sisters , Huuuhhh ; meant in a good way (Mostly) ha-ha.... I apologize for this not being on topic and wish you all the best of health, wealth and happiness...
(1)

1 2 3 4 5
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter