Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
5 6 7 8 9
To Candee... and all reading this blog... I just went into this site, hospicepatients /this-thing-called-hospice.html ... "Stealth Euthanasia: Health Care Tyranny in America " .
"Copyright © Ron Panzer 2011-2013 HTML/web version of.....etc.
Notice the date : 2011-2013....!!!! Now I wonder that the statements in that rendition were uttered prior to "Obama-Care" having taken effect..... Wonder what changes... hopefully IMPROVEMENTS Obama-care would or could bring .?????
(0)

Yes, same happened here .. My dad was admitted to The ER.. On Feb19 2015 & same day transferred to ICU & we had to make a quick decision based on what they were telling us about his health condition & he got started on the morphine, Friday night & by Saturday he was no longer responsive or alert.. I hate my self for ever agreeing to this.. Now I feel like it was our worst decision ever.. & he he only lasted till Monday afternoon .. Then passed away, on 4 days & he was gone.
(0)

I feel exactly the same way rosie123. My Mother had COPD but her response to Morphene is exactly the same as you describe while she was having trouble breathing, she was able to calm down and eat and have a conversation with me until they added the Ativan and Morphene pump then she could respond for about three days, although she was pretty drugged, and then she was seemingly in a death coma. It's hard to live with our decision to go to Hospice. I'll always wonder and never really know if things would have been different in The hospital. My research on the internet doesn't say too many positive things about Ativan and Morphene combination except that it's a toxic mix. I often wonder if a healthy person could survive on this same mixture.
(0)

Dear Hope there is a time for everything.
A time for God
A time for Mama
and a time for you.
I think God sees that you are not really ready yet and leaves Mama in your wonderful loving care a little longer.
When the time is right it will be right for both of you and the angels will come and lift Mama up. You may even catch a glimpse of an angels wing. When the time gets close be sure and leave a window a crack open so her soul can rise. Even when her physical body has died her spirit may linger a short while just to reassure you
You can only pray that God will make the decision about what is right for you both. Do not be afraid Hope. God is with you
(1)

Thanks Veronica...I know He will. I have stopped praying for what I want and have instead begun praying that God will just do what He knows is best for Mama and for me and I will trust Him to see us through it all. I don't know that I will ever just be really ready to lose Mama, but I do know I do not want her to linger for me and I have told her that...we have had several talks even and I have told her that we love her and will be sad, but we want what is best for her so for her not to worry about us..we will be together again. And I do believe that....One of Mama's baby sisters came this week and was shocked to see her talking and laughing the entire time they visited....our Hospice has been really good to Mama and to me... I just wish everyone would have been able to have the kind of compassionate assistance we have....
(1)

Bry 1969 that was a wonderful and insightful post about your feelings about the end of life.
As far as comments about thepoor care from hospice nurses it just makes me cringe. I was a hospice nurse for ten years and could not have worked with a more careing and compassionate group of women. the slightest complaint about a nurses practice was treated like a cpital offence and our supervisor never ceased to fire people who she felt did not have the right attitude. We were a very small rural hospice a not for profit which does seem to make a great deal of difference in the standard of care from some of the for profit ones.
our phiosophy was to make the remaining time a patient had left as pleasant and painfree as possible. Yes we did use large doses of Morphine and Ativan but never with the object of ending their lives. Would you rather see your loved one resting peacefully or thrashing around in pain yelling for some one to please end this or lashing out at his nearest and dearest or chasing the nurse out of the house with an axe. We used what was prescribed in the quantities needed to relieve suffering.
morphine has such a bad rap because it is the drug most often used. the reason is that it comes in a liquid and can be dripped into the patients mouth with a dropper when they can no longer swallow. Do you want to watch your loved one suffer with a breathing tube and ventilator when you know they are dying. some nurses do not have a good bedside manner like some Drs and may not be in the right part of heathcare but it may not be possibel for them to work the hours needed in other field. i am not making excuses but just get upset by all the nurse bashing that goes on with hospice care. You may be loosing your loved one but it is very hard to nurse people you can do nothing for but give them a comfortable death. All your patients die from tiny babies to 100+ year olds you can not make any of them get better. Nurses and Drs are trained to get people well again. Do you ever wonder how many nurses go home in tears after attending a death and sharing in the patient's family grief. Wipe your eyes blow your nose and walk into the next house with a smile on your face appologising because your sinuses are acting up and you just came from a house full of cats. It is not an easy job and many burn out quickly. In a for profit hospice the work load is very high and the pay poor so corners get cut. the executives have to get their high pay and bonuses. By all means report the bad care that is the only way thing get changed but remember nurses are people too and have feelings.
(3)

I am saddened that so many have had such awful experiences with hospice, but I have to say that I do not know what I would do without our hospice team. I love them and they have become like part of our family. I know they love Mama and do everything they can to help her...I know there are always exceptions, but again, I can't say enough good things about our nurses and care providers with our hospice team...We have the comfort care pack and I have used the morphine four times in all and that was to help Mama relax a bit and breathe easier and the nurses instructed me how to administer it and such. But our team does work extremely closely with us and the doctors to do everything they can for Mama...and I can tell they do care...a lot....
(3)

Hope22, thank you for your kind words. It is still hard to get those days out of my head. You feel like you made the wrong decision. But as I said we weren't given a choice, and didn't know too much about hospice.

When I first called their corporate office the woman tried to apologize, I said "don't, this can't be undone, no do overs. This isn't like a bad meal in a restaurant, this can't be fixed."

I'm glad to hear your mother is doing better.
(2)

I am sitting in a hospice room with a dying parent right now and I can tell you at 4 pm he was talking, alert, and oriented. By 5:30 pm, within 20 min of getting here, he was comatose. Unresponsive to voice or touch. It's been 9 hours now, the doctor has come in and I strongly confronted her about it repeatedly- how he has obviously been overmedicated- with morphine subcue and zofran. She SMIRKED repeatedly. Asked me repeatedly "What did you bring him here for?" I had to tell her repeatedly, "He is being overmedicated." She told me defiantly "OK THEN I WILL ORDER THAT WE HOLD ALL MEDICATIONS", it was as if she was trying to get back at me, by going the total other direction and denying my parent ANY medication if he needed it. I am telling you, I have seen this before when people are ADMITTED to an inpatient hospice facility, they go from "talkies" to zombies. It's happened to my parent, and I'm trying to bring him back. It's heartbreaking. So for you idiots who don't believe it, keep your head buried in the sand. Hospice is as much about helping people "live" their last days as planned parenthood is about the welfare of babies.
(4)

Trulyspoken50 I as well told them they were over medicating my mom 3 weeks ago after admitting her to hospice she became unresponsive
They kept giving her the usual morphine atavin combo, ' to keep her comfortable' really it made her where she couldn't swallow or breathe and the meds kept her in that position TIL she passed away total of 15 hours in hospice.
If this is how hospice really works, why deceive the public, be honest and admit the combo of drugs actually hasten death.
I told the nurses when I was on my death bed. I was given morphine & it didn't kill my pain, they told me bc my mom was dying it's differevr, wtf I was on my death bed & lived These ppl are clueless since they never experience near dearh or death itself.
I'm pretty certain hospice nurses which are actually LPN's are brain washed about how the drugs really work.
(1)

LPNs should not be handling the narcotic doses.
(1)

I wondered if they had the training ... Every one they came into moms room Had LPN badges on , never saw RN ... my RIP youngest sister was an RN .
(0)

Veronica91 I cannot speak highly enough of the hospice nurses that trended to my Dad. Incredible people that I don’t pretend to understand… that is not something I could do for a living but I am so very grateful someone does.

I think I understand some people’s feelings on this subject matter. I too was temporarily concerned that we might have contributed in some way to Dad’s end given that we were consulted at each step of the way, everything explained to us in great detail and part of this process was the upping of medication. However, this was temporary.

It is difficult to try to be pragmatic, impossible perhaps for some individuals or at certain stages but eventually, we must try to be. In my case My father was a very intelligent man, aware of his circumstances and in the early weeks often spoke freely about it. Assured us not to fear, to not suffer and that any decision we made would be the right one. He remained that way all the way through, up to the point he became confused as a result of his illness and even then there were periods of clarity in which the realisation he had suffered delirium and that during these times he was agitated at times aggressive towards people like my Mother, who had been there every moment of every day was heart breaking and if anything even more painful for him. That is not what he wanted to do and certainly not who he wanted to be.

My Father and I didn’t really have any profound last discussions he/we just all spoke openly about what was going on. He did however have one last request of me and that was to get on with living my life. I believe that would not be possible if I spend from here to eternity questioning what ifs. He may well have lived a little longer, I really couldn’t say but I do know he was distressed, in pain and confused for a vile period of time and then he wasn’t, shortly after that he passed, peacefully.

Very little time goes by that I don’t think of him but I am trying to do as he asked and being pragmatic or at least trying to be is a part of that process. Having said all this of course no two of us are alike. We must deal with it in our own way.
Anyone who truly feels they or their loved ones have been wronged should speak up. I would only ask that you consider as many of the facts as you can, see beyond there here and now and all that that means, as difficult as that might seem. Terminal illness is just that… we are going to lose them… however hard we try to hold on. I know every last second is precious but in the end has it become more about you and what you want and need or them? If you still answer no I/we were wronged then I totally support your right to do so and encourage you to speak up.
(2)

Bry 1069 it is wonderful to hear such a wonderful and mature post on the end of life issues your family faced your Dad's death. It is always a difficult and emotional time for everyone. There is always a period of mourning which has recognisable stages which includes anger. Everyone takes a different time to work through these stages and some get stuck for a long time if not forever in a single stage. Support can be so helpful during the grieving process be if professionall, friends or family. Thank you again for your insightful words.
(1)

4/2/2015 just backtracking on the posts in this category to catch up...and , Pam, in answer to your March 17th post about " ... they panic, call 911 ...rush to ER, ..... I say "yes", if it is necessary to relief certain conditions that are painful and painpills are not indicated, such as my father retaining fluid, which needed IV infusions several times to correct his electrolytes - after which he changed into his old self, talking , aware of his surroundings, and could be taken home, even telling me to watch out for a stopsign, where before he was so ill feeling.... Hospice could not give these IVs. and father never said I want to die.... This treatment also passes as pain-relief...
Knowing that those IVs helped, made it necessary to decide on ER-visits... If one knows what can help, or one thinks the ER might have an answer and the patient does not say " I want to die", one has an obligation to follow one's concience of " what's right + what's wrong to do according also to one's religious convictions " to seek that help, or else you are guilty of murder ... Obviously not all cases are so clear to diagnose or not all folks know the medical intervention necessary to keep from being guilty of murder by neglect, and that does make THE difference - if you don't know - you have to trust the medical personnell to guide you... and you can only hope that they do not deliberately rush your loved one to the eventually inevitable death.
It's the eventual death every one accepts... it's the rushing it... which most folks object to.... I wish you all well.
(1)

well said
(0)

DHilBe, guilty of murder? Guilty of Murder?! OMG What person in his or her right mind would agree to be a caregiver if a "wrong" decision meant being guilty of murder. Whew!
(1)

Holy Cow! I guess I'm guilty of murder because I got hospice involved when my dad had an aggressive stage IV glioblastoma.

He could neither talk or walk towards the end and lost half of his body weight.

I agree with jeanne, to throw around words like murder is just despicable for those of us dealing with end stage terminal disease.
(2)

Jeannie and Windy, I did a long post of the subject of guilt and murder but it "mysteriously" did not get posted. I was quite vocal on the use of these terms so won't bother to repeat so thank you for your comments they mirror my views exactly
(1)

I have two personal hospice stories:

My MIL (dementia) has been on hospice for 17 months. They are a big help to me and to her. They never force meds - it's all about her comfort. They provide much appreciated advice and send an aid to bathe her 3x/wk. That's a big deal to me as she is on this long, long, same, same pattern for now.

My wonderful husband was on hospice for 2 weeks before he died. In his case the cancer was causing excruciating pain..........unending pain. Hospice did medicate him in efforts to try to get him some relief. Unfortunately, his pain was relentless and nothing really helped. (His tumor had taken over his abdominal wall and was thickening so rapidly that his digestive system could not metabolize any pain meds). We had a port etc but it was a nightmare. Cancer pain was torturing my sweet husband and I had to watch :(
Hospice helped us as much as possible. Even placing an n/g tube which is not customary but it helped with the pressure because he was totally blocked. Hospice never abandoned us (like the medical community did). They stayed
with us till the end and I am grateful. Very grateful.

Back to my MIL's case...................she is still here after 18 months on hospice. She is comfortable (howbeit cantankerous) and I occasionally give her hospice prescribed meds when she gets agitated and frustrated. And it helps. I appreciate hospice. I really do.
(3)

I'm glad to hear that other people have the same concern that I do. My Dad, aged 90, died of prostate cancer (metastatic bone cancer). In his last couple of days the hospice people told me over the phone when to give him morphine and/or lorazepam (he kept refusing the morphine; he wasn't in pain). On the morning he died (at home), I came into the room to find that his bowels had let go over night and I called the hospice nurse to come and help me because I couldn't physically change his depends or clean him up by myself. The nurse asked if Dad was agitated, and instructed me to give him one lorazepam to calm him by the time she could get to us. She lives about 45 minutes away. I gave it to him and when nurse arrived, she greeted him and took his pulse, and helped him turn over. His breathing changed then, and he died. I have been distraught at the thought that I gave him that pill to calm him and it calmed him so much that he died! Did I kill my Dad? Everyone says, no I didn't, but I just can't shake it. If I gave someone cyanide and they died, that would be murder. I gave Dad lorazepam and he died; how could it not also be murder? Oh, sure, he was about to die anyway, but aren't we all going to die anyway, someday? I feel so awful. I keep praying and praying for forgiveness. I wish I hadn't given Dad that pill.
(3)

Alice21811, I'm really sorry for the loss of your dad. It's always SO hard. My condolences to you.

It seems that the event of him losing control of his bowels was new? I apologize if that's not correct. From my experience with my dad, they lose all control of bodily functions at the end. The body more or less lets go/sets the soul free of your loved one.

One lorazepam or another won't make a difference either way. It's not cyanide. Get that idea out of your head, please. You did not kill your dad. The disease killed him. I have a FIL aged 84 with bone mets. It's progressive.

Please let the guilt go. You don't need forgiveness. You didn't do anything wrong, seriously. He was 90. The lorazepam didn't kill him, cancer did. Please allow yourself time to grieve without any blame.
(2)

Alice please listen to Windy she is absolutely correct. If one little Lorazepam could kill someone I can not imagine the results. I am sure the nurse was not in the least alarmed by the way he died it is very usual and nothing to do with what you did or did not give him. Please be at peace and allow your grief to find it's own way.
Blessings
(1)

Alice I agree with the others that say that had nothing to do with his death. It was given to calm him down. That's way different than cyanide which is given to kill. Your intention was to calm, not to kill.

This thread is incredibly long and it has been hard to keep up. Some people have had great experiences with hospice. Others think that their loved ones were "over medicated" and that this overmedication is what caused their loved one's death. It really needs to be looked at on a case-by-case basis. In your case it's clear you did nothing to contribute to his death. Please be at peace.
(2)

I to felt that hospice hastened my sisters death. It's been almost 3 months now and I feel differently.
I went back through the journal I had
Been keeping of her disease
(Glioblastoma),messages, emails and pictures,
I could then see how she was really suffering. In some of the messages I was praying for God to end her suffering. Even though I knew she was dying it was still very devastating when it actually happened. It doesn't matter now if hospice did
R did not hasten her death. She was pain free and comfortable until the end.
(1)

Let me tell you what my mother-in-law, a care giver told me. She told me stories from her work that really puzzled me. I'm still adjusting here in America and have so many things to learn and must accustomed to. But her stories really disturbed me. According to her, if the patient was categorized as hospice patient, he or she has no longer two weeks to live. By the patients family's decision and the nurse order, they will give the hospice Patient morphine and the other drug (sorry I forgot the name) round o clock. During her first months there, it was really heart breaking to hear some patients ask for water and food because they were complaining they were hungry or thirsty. And they were not allowed to give them anything for it will take them longer to die. I come across this thread because I want to know if what these people did was legal. Knowing that most of their hospice patient do not suffer from terminal illness like most of your loved ones. According to my mother-in-law, some patient's daughter or son asked their homecare to give morphine to their loved ones to avoid paying bills. If this is true, this is so heartbreaking.
(1)

I was told that when a hospice patient cries for water and food, some of her co-worker gave them water or juice discreetly because they pity these hospice patients and that made them live longer. For that reason, they were blamed for making the hospice patient lives for 2 weeks longer.
(1)

Alarming, I am sure there is some element of truth in the stories you were told, but perhaps your MIL didn't know the full story or is confusing details. Hospice is ONLY for persons with terminal illnesses.

To qualify for hospice a patient must have a prognosis of dying within 6 months (not 2 weeks). No one can predict exactly when death will occur and many people are on hospice for longer.

Morphine and other drugs are available to keep the patient out of pain and severe anxiety. They are to make the patient comfortable, not to hasten death.

My husband was on hospice at home. I was given the drugs to administer as I saw fit. We didn't use the morphine at all, because my husband wasn't in pain. I did use pills for anxiety.

The nurse advised me not to "push" food, but to make food and beverage available if he wanted it. He ate a lot of popsicles! The day he died he had a normal breakfast and did not care to eat the rest of the day.

If the stories you were told are fully true, then I agree it is heartbreaking. And probably violates laws and care center regulations. This is why I wonder if your MIL might be mistaken about what she observed.
(1)

the drug combo is morphine & Ativan
(0)

It varies from organization to organization our from state to state. I have seen the absolute worst to absolute best (which was an inpatient unit). No two organisations seen to have the same criteria, but one home care decided that since my father had bladder cancer, her should not be treated for a urinary tract infection. Another thought my father-in-law was better off having continual seizures than being hospitalized. He fell out of his wheelchair and hit his head and had to be hospitalized (he was in assisted living). A very wonderful ER doctor helped get him into an inpatient hospice where he passed away peacefully.. my mother recently was hospitalized with aortic stenosis and a GI bleed (Heyde syndrome), sent home too soon and hemorrhaged. Upon readmidsion, no one thought she would survive, but she did. I was under a lot of pressure to put her on hospice. I agreed to palliative care, but a lot of doctors and nurses don't understand the difference between palliative and hospice. Anyway, she went through rehab, her blood count is stable, and she is home with home health care. The only difference in care is that we don't have a minister coming, which I don't need, and we don't have morphine. She's doing well and can see her doctors. I'll take that over home hospice any day.
(1)

5 6 7 8 9
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter