Follow

We all saw her. She was an AL/MC candidate who shouldn’t have been in congress.

I will never vote for anyone over 80 again.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
She should've listened to those who told her to step down. Even though it would've been brief, she would've been able to have A retirement.

This is why there should be term limits or at least age limits. Maybe have 80 be the max and if you turn 80 during a term, it has to be your last and you have to retire when it's over.

I'm hoping the old coot gets the boot next fall and the presidential candidate that lives in northern Florida can make some headway in the next few months.
(0)

I agree . In addition to a 6 week campaign period. A cap on spending on campaigns . Other countries do it.
Some of these congressman and senators are practically buying their seats on Capitol Hill .
(1)

Feinstein clearly had dementia when she ran for reelection in 2018. The problem is, incumbents are never primaried, and they need to be.

Our entire election process is a trainwreck. We need to have about a six-week campaign period at the most, and I think every incumbent should be challenged in a primary for their seat because they need to prove they've earned it every time they go up for reelection.

Unfortunately, that’s not how our system works, so it’s up to the voters to not constantly return the same people to Washington over and over. To do that they'd have to be willing to elect the challenger from the other party, and no one is willing to do that.

That's how we end up with Feinstein, Schumer, Pelosi, McConnell, Trump, and Biden, among others.
(3)

Yes she should have retired years ago. It's a shame these old people continue to hold on in public office. No young up and comers are given a chance and thus there is no one in either party that anyone can seem to get behind except for the two doddering old men who will be running for president next year.
(5)

Absolutely bow out when time has come. A certain cretinous former world leader who has recently mistaken against whom he was running and feared the start of WWII has no business running for anything. Poor Mitch McConnell, I fear he will pass at the podium. It's sad. Poor Sen. Feinstein, she had been a powerhouse. It was hard to see her so diminished. May she rest in peace and power.
(3)

Strom Thurmond served in the Senate until he was 100. He was sick, and it was well known that his staff ran the show. Dianne Feinstein's staff probably was too. Very embarrassing to watch her when she seemed to have little idea what was going on in the Senate. Putting a person with cognitive difficulties onstage like that is abuse. No question about it.
(5)

SnoopyLove ,
I totally agree. Apparently Pelosi’s daughter has been Feinstein’s “ caregiver” this year . I saw that in one news report earlier this year when she returned to the Capitol after her long absence .
(1)

I feel sad that Feinstein’s daughter or grandchildren didn’t put their collective feet down and say, sorry, mom/grandma, it’s time to retire, you deserve rest, we want time with you, etc. Instead they apparently enabled her and colluded with various political machinations. Feinstein didn’t deserve to have her frailty as a feeble dying person coming to the end of her life exposed in public like that.
(6)

Not age limits, but term limits. That would solve the problem but because politicians are in it for themselves, NONE of them have to spine to run on the term limits platform. Maybe if people just resolved to not vote for anyone over a certain age who is a career politician, they'd get the message. Two terms should be plenty.
(6)

My nephew is an air traffic controller. Mandatory retirement at 55 for him. I think for commercial passenger airline pilots it’s age 60.
I don’t think an old person should have the responsibility of being president either . Trump and Biden are both too old and both showing cognitive problems . It’s been reported that Reagan had cognitive issues as well when he was still in office .

@scampie. It’s not terrible . They should step down. If anyone of us could not do our job properly, that’s what would be asked of us.

Some people want the retirement age ( for social security ) raised again . That’s problematic. Just because people live longer does not mean they are automatically capable of doing their job any longer . Not everyone sits at a desk . What about those that do a more physical job , for example construction work .
(5)

This is terrible, but I feel that being that old and in declining health, a person should step down. People are living longer. I had someone scream up to the ceiling; why won't you take me! It was the hardest thing I've ever had to watch.

Even though we have these age discrimination laws, sometimes enough is enough. I remember when Justice Thurgood Marshall retired. Someone asked him during an interview why he was retiring. He answered; Because I'm old.

When my grandparents were living, they died at reasonable ages in their seventies. Even the formula created for social security was created on the life expectancy of around seventy-two years old give or add a few years, and this was about fify years ago. Now with all of the medications, some seniors are tired of living.

One teacher shared years ago about her mother who had terminal cancer and was undergoing cancer treatment in the hospital. When she went back to visit, her mother had thrown all of her medicine in the trash can. She said that she was done living.

The body gets tired.
(6)

I think there needs to be an age limit. I don't think when the Constitution was written, our founding fathers thought we would live to be 80, 90 or100. Modern science has allowed us to live longer and thats not always a good thing. Because...nothing they can do for the mind.

I don't feel Thrump or Biden should be candidates. Trump is 77 and Biden 80! With Biden they have been saying there is a cognitive problem. At 80 there has to be some cognitive decline. You should not be able to run for president over 70. For Congress, retirement at 70. The Spreme court Judges, no more till death. If they start showing signs of cognitive decline, they retire.
(6)

I’m going to be brave and admit to a terrible thought that my husband and I both have had and discussed . We hope due to “ peaceful painless natural causes “ , that we will not have to choose between two demented presidential candidates.

If the people that worked around these people would step up and tell these people to retire , maybe I wouldn’t have these thoughts .
(7)

Malfunctioning Mitch's staff don't want their gravy train to end either!
(5)

Good riddance. She should not have run again in 2018. But I do NOT believe that it was her decision. I believe that she already had dementia and her staff, who enabled her to be the demented dinosaur of the Senate, didn't want to lose their jobs and their gravy train to end.

As for age, I'm not willing to back a cutoff. Some 50 year olds are unfit to hold public office. I do believe that when someone clearly is no longer capable of performing an important job, their teammates should have the courage to tell them that it's time they retire or act to put them out to pasture.
(7)

@SP

I LIVE (and own) in SF and have for more than 40 years. Along with all you say a building bought at 412,000 is now estimated more than 2 million; home down the block sold for 8.7 million recently, and old Mark Z. is just up the hill from me (a STEEP hill; too high to carry any Matua Sauvignon Blanc to share with him).

So with all you say, we have no end of very wealthy waiting in line to buy here and pay a 20,000 a month mortgage.

Yes, it's all a bit schizophrenic, I assure you, and I am no fan of our current very progressive Mayor. No regular citizen type knows the City better than I do. Nor its politics.

As to the GENERAL decay across big cities in our country I am afraid we are not alone. Have you read about the "smash and grabs" in the UK which mirror our own.

With global changes the immigration will continue to worsen in ALL countries around the world, with populations moving from South to North. This has been happening for decades and will happen now with increasing rapidity. Has happened before and has never historically been very pretty at all.

Given I have now unleashed the whole global warming thing (can vaccines and masks be far behind, hee hee) I have to say that when we go all political on AC I get real bored with us; so will bow out of this thread and leave it to y'all while I wade through the feces off to Trader Joe.

All take care; see you on the other threads.
(2)

As far as Mitch goes …I don’t believe that staring frozen and aphasic is from a concussion. He’s also lost weight . He’s totally got that far away dementia look in the eyes now . His staff is clearly propping him up on a consistent basis . They didn’t even look surprised the last time it happened . Watch the video , watch how the woman next to him responds . Her response was practically scripted and rehearsed .
(2)

No rules about age or length of service will ever pass. It will be up to the voters to stop voting for them . We need more young people to come out and vote and get the ancient people out of service . It’s downright scary that these dementia riddled minds are in these seats that require intelligent responsible people .
(6)

Alva have you been to San Francisco recently? The condition of that city is disgusting.

You have people strung out on tranq, people defecating in the streets, and worse.

San Francisco used to be a beautiful city and now it is just a decaying mass of homelessness and drug addiction.

The leadership there and their policies are 100% responsible for what is happening there.

You didn't hear a peep about it from Feinstein or Pelosi or any of the other "leaders" in Washington or from the local government, and it seems policies are in place to make sure things don't change there anytime soon.

Many business owners and San Franciscoians are really upset about what their city has turned into.
(3)

Poor dear Mitch will be "dying in the saddle" as well, any day now, won't he. I am afraid this crosses political lines. As our politicians can no longer seem to get ANYTHING to a vote I guess it is all too late to hope that they may make rules about age and length of service.

All that said, a very, very sad and heartbreaking end for a woman who, due to my being a San Franciscan, was a personal hero to me, and to many in my city. Her ability to work across the aisle alone made her a living fossil.

Hail the traveler.
(9)

They usually come in threes . Who’s next ? Mitch McConnell ? He’s zoning out at the podium . Maybe if they start dropping like flies people will stop voting for ancient people to be in these positions .
(5)

Yeah the whole thing about her continuing to stay in office long after she was competent or capable of doing her job was sickening to watch. There are some more members of Congress and a certain President who need to step down because of their mental defects that make them unable to do the job they were elected to do.
(6)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter