Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
"I do not understand how she can remember that he left when she cannot remember what was said toher 5 minutes ago." This is really, really common, because in many cases of dementia short term memory is worse than long term. Someone emotionally important from the past will be remembered well even if what you ate for lunch isn't. In soem forms of dementia, particularly Alzhemier's, people remember the past vividly while not remembering more recent events, e.g. they dont' recognize a loved one because they remember them as much younger; in non-Alzhemier's it may be more common to recognize loved ones even when other aspects of memory and thinking are severely affected. The ability to do automatic, simpler and more often-repeated tasks are more preserved than multi step ones. My mom could feed herself but there was no way she would ever learn the steps in using a hearing aid; they had to TELL me that, because I was so frustrated at her never wearing it even after I got it all adjusted and working great to converse without yelling...I assumed somethng was wrong with it or it was hurting her. And many, many people with dementia lack the insight and judgement to realize their memory is faulty, hence the "looking at you like you have two heads" thing. THEY don't remember, so it didn't happen. WHAT disease?? We have a disease??? No...we're fine, thank you! It is very sad but try not to let it hurt your heart as if they were fully understanding and remembering and trying to upset you, thery're almost certainly not...hugs and God bless...
(1)

Thanks.
(0)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter