Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
I have considered assisted living for her. But, she knows enough to know she does not want to leave her own home. She can still bathe, do her hair, wash her clothes, iron, do dishes, chores etc. I love her to death. I know he cannot come back as he cannot handle it anymore. I just asked her again to sell her home and come live with me. She said, No...I can take care of myself. I know she cannot and so do the doctors...I just want her to live with this disease the best way she can and I want her to die with her dignity intact. Maybe, I am trying to protect me from the eventual progessiveness of this disease. I also read that it could take 10-20 years before she is gone completely. She does not have Alz..The brain scan showed no shrinkage.

I am just a child trying to care for my Mother. I may be 54, but I am still her child.
(2)

I don't get it either. My husband has dementia, has been very difficult, but now that he's scheduled to go to assisted living (he thinks it's only for a few days of therapy) and has not been told he will be living there, he seems almost normal. Now I feel guilty that I've made this decision, but have been encouraged to do so by the doctor, therapists, social workers and friends. It's such a cruel disease. Some days I'm convinced this is the right decision, but today when he seemed normal, I'm not so sure. He will be going there in 3 days. I'm terrified of his reaction.

Have you considered the possibility of assisted living? Some people seem to be content there. I totally understand how you feel. I have also read a great deal on it. It's incredibly frustrating. I wish I had some words of comfort for you. Perhaps talking with others who are experiencing similar problems will help.
(4)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter